IAB is currently looking for content editors.
The editor role involves the following responsibilities:
- Reviewing submitted content.
- Finding appropriate content online and presenting it in an engaging fashion.
- Editing submitted content and making decisions as to what's accepted and what's rejected.
- Ensuring that content is consistently edited according to the house style.
- Scheduling content for publication.
Note that this position is different from the moderator role. The sole focus of the editors is content; they will not be moderating users or enforcing the Community Standards in any way. Editors will, however, be full members of the IAB staff and have a voice in determining the website's operation and direction.
Although this is a volunteer position, there is a required minimum amount of work. Editors must publish two (2) articles per day, with at least one of those articles being submitted by a user not on the IAB staff. This two-article quota must be met even on days off, meaning that editors who don't want to work the weekends will need to queue up four articles in advance to cover those two days. (The quota will be suspended for occasional breaks and vacations.) This two-article minimum will typically require about 45 minutes to one hour of work per day.
Applicants should have all or most of the following qualifications:
- Some long-term familiarity with the I-Am-Bored website and its reader culture.
- A broad education in the humanities, either formal or self-taught. You need to be able to judge and edit content ranging from current events, to philosophy, to science, to pop culture, to politics and everything in between.
- A talent with words, including a solid mastery of grammar and spelling.
- Some professional editing and proofreading experience.
- Some experience in developing and adhering to a style guide.
- Some knowledge of HTML, Slack, Dropbox, and Photoshop Elements.
To apply, please use the Contact link at the bottom of the IAB pages. For Topic, select "Bugs & Other Site Feedback." In your email, please address the six qualification bullets above. Please also include a URL to a recent writing sample with your application; if you have no writing currently online, a file may be sent separately to [email protected]
The deadline for applications is December 26, at 11:59 PM. The IAB staff will be responding to all applications by January 2, 2019.