barry9a

Registered bored user

barry9a wrote:
holygod On flags - when I was travelling across the US, I found that in commercial areas, flags were used about as much as back home in Australia. The occasional shop would use the flag to appeal to patriotism, but it wasn't all that common.

But in residential areas, here in Aus, if you have a flag you're a weirdo that should be avoided. In the US, it was weirdly common to have flags in the front yard. As I travelled the country, I came to the opinion that a "high patriotism" place was where as many as 1 in 4-5 houses had a flag in the front yard somewhere...

... and then I got to Pittsburgh. Holy fuck. The suburb I where I was staying in Pittsburgh had 1 in 4-5 hours that didn't have a flag in the front yard. Even the graves in the graveyard (on the way to the local pizza place) were festooned with flags and bunting.

As for the pledge of allegiance, it's really weird that the "Land of the Free" demands your sworn allegiance. It's really sad brainwashing. Again, travelling the US, almost every time I heard the word 'Freedom', you could hear the capital F. 'Freedom' isn't a concept in the US, it's a national religion, and you have to worship Freedom the right way. Other countries I've been to see 'freedom' as a concept, one which means you can do whatever, but when a patriotic American starts crapping on about Freedom, it's a religious experience and woe betide you if you want to behave in a manner they don't like...
barry9a wrote:
Draculya Russia must have some amazing dirt on him, because once he became prez, what leverage could they have over him? He's got everything.
barry9a wrote:
trimble Are you aware that the US trades with more countries than just China?
barry9a wrote:
So, the biggest difference between feminists and MRAs is the 'activist' bit. Feminists, as a group, are activists. Whereas MRAs, as a group, do very little when it comes to actually creating the services they ask for. The bulk (not all, but the bulk) of MRA activity I see online is just to score points in an argument, and there is no organisation to actually do something about the problems.

Yes, men have problems, but MRAs use them mostly for point-scoring, rather than trying to get them addressed in real terms.
barry9a wrote:
taoofludd How is Hungary a theoretical threat to Sweden?
barry9a wrote:
srximus Russia (the country, not 'Russians' the people) are the baddies of Europe. You're comparing a NATO drill against a country that has militarily annexed land from another country in Europe this decade. Military plans need to deal with facts as they are - hell, the US even has plans for a war with Canada, unlikely as that is.

Putin has done amazing things in turning Russia from a laughing stock back into a feared ogre, but let's face it, his approach is 'fear us', not 'join us in huggy friendliness'.
barry9a wrote:
So... the schtick appears to be "We're using Sesame-street-looking puppets, and do naughty things with them!". Make the puppets in a different style, and the trailer would then clearly show how crap the jokes are.

And as has already been noted, Meet the Feebles was done 30 years ago, and actually has funny stuff in it.
barry9a wrote:
markust The US routinely lose these wargames to other countries. However, when push comes to shove, the one thing the US do well is engagement - no-one can beat them because they just simply out-size everyone. There's only a few countries that can possibly hope to go toe-to-toe with the US on attrition, and they don't have the technical capabilities to match.
barry9a wrote:
Even the French, who you love to diss 60 years later had an effective resistance and returned to Normandy as the Free French.

The WWII-era French really isn't the French military you should be lionising. Slow, ineffective, with obsolete tactics. Propped up by their allies as the Free French (understandable, but it's not like they were hardcore). Even the French Resistance was so splintered that they allies got concerned about supplying arms to the various groups, worried that they'd all turn on each other after liberation.

The French of WWI mutinied because "we're not afraid to die, but we're tired of dying for nothing - lead us properly". Whereas the French of WWII couldn't even acknowledge the Allies in the speech given in the recovery of Paris.

France has a long and glorious military history and record, but the French of WWII were a poor military - that same military is the one that subsequently lost to Vietnamese insurgents, and created the cavalcade that was decolonialism (overall a good thing, but still telling that that's where it started).
barry9a wrote:
Clearly there's deeper shit going on behind the scenes and they used this as an excuse to cut the cord.
barry9a wrote:
dkm458 Calling a black person an ape is making a statement based on physical characteristics they can't control. Calling someone a feckless cunt is making a statement based on the person's own actions. They are not at the same level, and you know that.
barry9a wrote:
skeeter01 Hey, the narrator is taking no chances!
barry9a wrote:
Gerry1of1 Yes, because the Chinese have no problem with the letter L, given that it's common in their language. It's the Japanese that have trouble pronouncing it.
barry9a wrote:
Gerry1of1 I think that that is what they're trying to do here - if every state does this, then effectively it becomes a 'count the whole tally' event.
barry9a wrote:
casaledana Given that the guy 'gerrymandering' is named after was a member of the "Democratic-Republican" party and predated both the Dems and the GOP, you can say 'both started it' or 'neither started it'. 
barry9a wrote:
Draculya There is no way that the electoral system will change, because that requires changing the constitution, and it's hard enough getting that changed for anything that lines the pockets of the current incumbents. And they've got this current system figured out quite nicely.

Hell, look at the UK, who a few years ago held a referendum to change from first-past-the-post voting to the far more voter-friendly instant-runoff/preferential voting. Both major parties lobbied hard against it, because it meant diluting their own power.

The Electoral College is a cray-cray remnant of the 18th century (the time before telegraphs...), and totally needs to be done away with, but never will be.
barry9a wrote:
semichisam01 Aw... are you trying to show off how educated you are by invoking Cato? Clearly you didn't understand when I said "stop playing the intellectual and be an intellectual". And if you're going to look down on someone for doing an ad hominem, then don't do one yourself - just because you pretty it up by invoking old Romans doesn't mean people don't understand you're throwing out an insult about character. It always mystifies me when eloquent people don't understand that others are still capable of detecting the insult in their words.

You brought that 'personal observation from sixty years ago' into the current day with 'what has changed?' and then pretended the comments only referenced sixty years ago. Now again, rather than engage with the information I gave and referenced, you further try to evade actual intellectual behaviour by making an excuse for yourself "oh, I'm not from a big city". So it seems that your argument is "my original comment was true if you don't include places where people 'go high', like, say, big cities". Maybe not that precisely, but certainly something that excludes a hell of a lot of the population.

So yeah, anyway, if you're going to make a big thing about ad hominems, steer clear of them yourself.
barry9a wrote:
dm2754 Fuck, if you think that comment was "incredibly" racist and sexist, you really need to recalibrate.

Why bother even pretending to be rational about the issue if you're just going to go for such ridiculous hyperbole straight out of the box?
barry9a wrote:
"IT IS NOT TO LATE" - these guys need to spend 16 more minutes in school, not 16 less...
barry9a wrote:
semichisam01 Stop playing the intellectual and be an intellectual. Saying "What has changed?" and then "You are contrasting some current statistics with a personal observation made sixty years ago." is really shitty revisionism.
barry9a wrote:
devthep You don't even need experiments to see evolution. The very concept of cross-breeding livestock (or pets) is evolution on a small scale.
barry9a wrote:
semichisam01 Given that Atlanta is the second-most segregated city in the US (chicago is first), that's more a cute slogan than an actual description.

The most segregated cities (races keep to themselves) are mixed around the place, and the least diverse cities (not many different races) are amost all in the south.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-diverse-cities-are-often-the-most-segregated/
barry9a wrote:
jayme21 The US is only 78% white if you count latinos as white. 
barry9a wrote:
muert I don't think so. I think the sign was plastic coreboard, so turning it 90 degrees would have had you working along it's strongest angle.
barry9a wrote:
Man, back in my day, protests were conducted to actually inconvenience people in order to make yourself heard. What's the point of a 16-minute walkout?


It's like in HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy, when the supercomputer Deep Thought is created to answer the greatest question, the philosophers threaten to go on strike. Deep thought responds: "And whom would that inconvenience?"