Trump has imposed tariffs on steel and aluminum onto one of it's largest trading partners and it's strongest ally, Canada, under the guise of national security. Canada has responded by imposing dollar for dollar tariffs on select products. Trump left the G7 early and started on a Twitter tirade about Trudeau. Peter Navarro stated that there was a special place in hell for Trudeau.
Some of the products Canada is placing tariffs onto:
- Coffee, roasted: Not decaffeinated
- Prepared meals: Of spent fowl; Specially defined mixtures
- Other: Specially defined mixtures, other than in cans or glass jars; Spent fowl other than in cans or glass jars
- Prepared meals, of bovine
- Other prepared or preserved meat of bovine, other than in cans or glass jars
- Maple sugar and maple syrup
- Liquorice candy; Toffee
- Other sugar confectionery (including white chocolate), not containing cocoa.
- Other chocolate, in blocks, slabs or bars: Filled
- Other chocolate, in blocks, slabs or bars: Not filled
- Pizza and quiche
- Cucumbers and gherkins
- Strawberry jam
- Soya sauce
- Tomato ketchup and other tomato sauces
- Prepared mustard
- Mayonnaise, salad dressing, mixed condiments and mixed seasonings, other sauces
- Soups and broths and preparations therefor
- Waters, including mineral waters and aerated waters, containing added sugar or other sweetening matter or flavoured
- Manicure or pedicure preparations
Does anyone win in a trade war?