This is the fight they've been preparing for, yet they're horrified that someone took them seriously.
An excerpt from The Daily Banter:
Two months ago, an ostensibly liberal man from Ohio with a history of violence opened fire on a group of Republicans practicing for an upcoming baseball game. Several were injured, one of them, Congressman Steve Scalise, seriously. The reaction from the media was swift and loud.
- FACT CHECK: Is Left-Wing Violence Rising? - NPR
- Scalise critical as shooting stokes fears of rhetoric-fueled violence - Fox News
- Extremism experts are starting to worry about the left - Vice
- Terrorism experts say GOP shooting highlights disturbing rise in left-wing violence - Miami Herald
Since then, anti-fascists ("Antifa") have grown increasingly confrontational with neo-Nazis holding rallies to call for genocide. Again, the press is looking for the closest fainting couch.
- Antifa Beats Up Trump Supporters, Fuels Right-Wingers - New York Magazine
- Berkeley proves liberals are enabling Antifa violence - Washington Examiner
- Violence by far-left protesters in Berkeley sparks alarm - LA Times
Outside of left-leaning media outlets like ThinkProgress, Raw Story and, of course, The Daily Banter, you'd be hard pressed to find this kind of pearl clutching after any of the hundreds of right wing attacks that have occurred just since the election, never mind the hundreds (thousands?) over the 8 years of Obama's presidency. It's almost as if ideologically motivated crimes from the right don't really count.
That's because, in essence, they don't.