[Pop Quiz] The Pirate Riddle

Submitted by: holygod 2 months ago in Quizzes


Maybe the best logic riddle I've ever seen -- can you solve it?

From Ted-Ed: It’s a good day to be a pirate. Amaro and his four mateys – Bart, Charlotte, Daniel, and Eliza have struck gold – a chest with 100 coins. But now, they must divvy up the booty according to the pirate code — and pirate code is notoriously complicated. Can you help come up with the distribution that Amaro should propose to make sure he lives to tell the tale?

There are 21 comments:
Male 3,496
Gonna be honest, i didn't get it right.
-1
Reply
451
Yet another example of how game theory fails to describe human behaviour.
-1
Reply
Male 5,475
kind of lame.

For example if they were 'perfect' logicians, they would know that pirates have no real successions or chain of commands.  Meaning if one pirate walked the plank that means there is more for the remainder, until it came to an all out sword fight, and there was only one person remaining. a perfect logician would do their best to pass on the captain to another sailor until it benefited them.

Now since it takes more than 1 person to sail a ship, it would have been highly irrational to make the whole crew walk the plank, so then it comes down to a negotiation, that benefits most people.  First you show them this ridiculous video and say "see how it is if we do it the stupid way?  so how about i propose we all take a jar for the upkeep of the boat, and put as much coins in that as we need to keep the boat running, the captian will be in charge of it obviously, and with the remainder of the coins we split them up evenly, since we're all pirates".
-1
Reply
Male 9,769
monkwarrior You really are just a complete wet blanket.

1. This isn't a history lesson on pirates, it's a logic puzzle.
2. I know the concept of "logic" is completely foreign to you, but try.
3. If you find it highly irrational to have a person sail a ship alone just pretend "god did it". That phrase makes all irrational things perfectly rational.
-1
Reply
Male 5,475
holygod Still doesn't make the 'logic puzzle' less lame, because it requires a complete suspension of disbelief in the nature of pirates, along with the nature of greed.
0
Reply
Male 3,496
monkwarrior 

You are really over thinking this lol.  It's a just a logic question based on game theory.  I suppose they could have filled in more information to nullify your questions, but for most people, i suspect, it wouldn't be needed.
-1
Reply
Male 5,475
daegog not really, consider it.  How many companies would eomploees be happy and continue to work if the CDO got 98% of everything, 1/2 of their employees got nothing, and the other half shared 2% of everything?  Now considering this is a pirate ship with no laws, theres a good bet after the 2nd or 3rd looting that the captian would be found the next morning with a sword sticking out of their chest.
0
Reply
Male 3,496
monkwarrior The Pirate ship is just a setting, and the gold and pirates are just placeholders for the logic question, they are not inherently important to the ACTUAL test of logic.  You can use practically anything as a substitute, it wouldn't be that hard, just tell the story slightly differently.

A teacher with candy and some students for example.  You could recreate the same problem just using these as the setting.
-1
Reply
Male 5,475
daegog greed isn't logical though.
0
Reply
Male 9,769
Actually it is. Without the motivation of financial reward people wouldn't seek out to discover new lands. People wouldn't invent things. People wouldn't take risks and start businesses. We have the society we have in large part due to greed. Just sit on the sidelines and enjoy the benefits. 
-1
Reply
Male 5,475
holygod i understand you think it's logical, but you are so biased against facts, like for example the facts that 9/11 point to explosives, the fact that the evidence of testimony leads people to see empirical evidence of God, both which you have continued to show your bias.  It's like you're so afraid to see any change that may potentially stunt the greed you have.
0
Reply
Male 9,769
monkwarrior Like I said, enjoy the sidelines. Don't worry, it's all just a test. After death you get to live in the clouds forever.
-1
Reply
Male 5,475
holygod keep deluding yourself that greed does great things for the world.  When you have tons of money but no food due to greed destroying environments, just remember you can't eat money.  After death it won't go well for you at all.
0
Reply
Male 9,769
How can you take a simple post about a logic puzzle and use it as a spoapbox to vomit out your retarded ideology?
0
Reply
Male 5,475
holygod the logic is ridiculous, the scenario is ridiculous.  You go start a company, take 98% of  its earnings, pay 1/2 your employees nothing and the other 1/2 the remaining 2% and see how it works out for you.  Like i said, enjoy your delusions.  
0
Reply
Male 3,410
monkwarrior wow you have so much sand in your vagina. is there anyone you know in real life who can handle your insufferable bitching for more than 2 minutes. jesus h peppercorn lighten up. is being angst ridden your hobby?.  and yes im a troll. 
1
Reply
Male 5,475
rumham I-A-B already knows your trolling nature.
-1
Reply