Official Darwin Award Nominees [Pic]

Submitted by: kitteh9lives 5 years ago in Weird

You just can"t fix stupid....maybe electricity will. Let"s hope they did this before having a chance to breed.
There are 34 comments:
Female 471
Old as the internet.
0
Reply
Male 404
@Selous: Since you have a resistance, the amps depend on the volts. More volts, more amps. But 50 mA are enough for certain death, so don`t worry.

@drips: The protection in an outlet strip does only protect devices plugged in. The strip itself still has power to kill.

@Kaagan: A surge protector will prevent the grill from over-current, it will not prevent the guys from taking 220 V.


Here in Germany, new electric installations must have a FI-Fuse (maybe other name in English) which would react to the current not returning on the designated wire (e.g. on the ground wire or directly into the bathtub).

Without this kind of fuse, the grill may even happily heat the water and some dead bodies. This would work as long as you have less than 16 A total current.
0
Reply
Male 1,735

0
Reply
Male 109
Mickets, that is the same pool, same exact location and same dudes, it must be another image of a different attempt.
0
Reply
Male 712
Submerged, it would just spark and short out. The death toll would be in the zeros.
0
Reply
Male 72
I saw this on IAB like 3 years ago -_-
0
Reply
Male 246
No, no, no... They are actually copying an old picture (2008) of some fellows doing the same thing:

http://goo.gl/CCqG8

(or search Google images for poolidiots.jpg - first result)
0
Reply
Female 5,222
this picture was painful to look at... just knowing what could happen >_<
0
Reply
Male 1,197
ExtraCredit
Male, 40-49, Midwest US
306 Posts Saturday, June 2, 2012 8:30:22 PM
European household voltage is double US voltage. These guys didn`t think this through.

volts dont kill, amps kill, americans use double the amps ... but when you are using mains power and doing this, pretty much a moot point
0
Reply
Male 406
Judging from the building and lamppost....and their paleness....I would say they are danish.
0
Reply
Male 3,894
You nominate unorthodox, idiocy-caused death stories for the awards, and the truly idiotic are the ones that actually win.
0
Reply
Male 20
DrProfessor, as long as they are alive and do not have kids they have a chance to win, and even if they have kids they can get an honorable mention.
0
Reply
Female 8,043
DrProfessor, but I really, really, really want them to win.
0
Reply
Male 453
European household voltage is double US voltage. These guys didn`t think this through.
0
Reply
Male 3,894
@kitteh--you can`t nominate someone for something they can`t win..
0
Reply
Male 904
I`m with Kaagan. That 6 outlet strip almost certainly has a safety device. Ever notice the little button that says `reset`? So if it got wet and shorted out it would happen at the outlets on the strip and the safety would trip. At most you`d get a very brief shock. And depending on how fast the mechanism trips, and in that volume of water with standard mains voltage you might not feel anything at all. Also consider that the power to the strip originates from a source that would be protected by circuit breakers or fuses. Wouldn`t try it myself though.
0
Reply
Male 6,077
Might not kill them but they may get some roasted nuts!
0
Reply
Male 934
@sathon

Only pure water is an insulator. Most tap water has enough calcium and magnesium salts in it to conduct electricity.
0
Reply
Male 3,445
`zhey are germans!`

German humor.
0
Reply
Male 833
@faaaaq
actually this looks to be another pic of the exact same people/situation
0
Reply
Male 694
no Kaagan, most things arent protected from bathroom-mishaps, thats why bathroom outlets are different from the rest in your house. ever noticed that? guess not.. Also, these guys earn special recognition for probably having had gotten the idea from a REALLY old pic on the net and yet they somehow still felt it was a good idea
0
Reply
Male 248
Water is a bad conductor of electricity. There is also no electrical grounding anywhere in that pool so even if there were enough contaminants in the water to carry a significant current, it would still be flowing through the circuitry of the appliances to reach the ground.

Not to say what they`re doing isn`t dangerously stupid. It probably just wouldn`t kill them.
0
Reply
Male 295
Stupid, but not actually Americans. It looks like a 220V outlet.

Also, older than the internet.
0
Reply
Male 642
zhey are germans!
0
Reply
Male 5,413
Sounded like a good idea at the time...
0
Reply
Male 148
@Kaagan
It protects from surges originating elsewhere, it won`t protect from getting dunked in water.
0
Reply
Male 1,627
Well... it’s a surge protector so if there is a surge it`ll cut off. Also with the amount of protection there are in products these days it should`ve a failsafe for occasions such as suicide in bathtub.

so they’re in no danger really but what a shame to break a surge protector.
0
Reply
Male 6,737
drat. Just drat.
0
Reply
Female 8,043
Lessah, That`s why they are `nominees` and not `winners`. Winners die.
0
Reply
Female 191
@leesah
They need to be dead or otherwise remove themselves from the gene pool, i.e. they sterilize themselves.
0
Reply
Male 1,625
you used the wrong caption kitteh



and the running joke now is that its obviously not americans
0
Reply
Female 1,566
Are they dead now? I`m pretty sure you have to have died to get a Darwin Award.
0
Reply
Male 5,314
as old as the internet
0
Reply
Female 8,043
Link: Official Darwin Award Nominees [Pic] [Rate Link] - You just can`t fix stupid....maybe electricity will. Let`s hope they did this before having a chance to breed.
0
Reply