The best in arts & entertainment, news, pop culture, and your mom since 2002.

[Total: 29    Average: 4/5]
144 Comments - View/Add
Hits: 24877
Rating: 4
Category: Misc
Date: 10/28/11 07:50 AM

144 Responses to Probability Problem [Pic]

  1. Profile photo of kitteh9lives
    kitteh9lives Female 70 & Over
    8044 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 6:52 am
    Link: Probability Problem - What percentage of I-A-Bers can answer this? You may now strap on your mind f*ck helmet.
  2. Profile photo of Brassbull
    Brassbull Male 30-39
    1610 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 7:57 am

  3. Profile photo of GHudston
    GHudston Male 18-29
    182 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 7:58 am
    As a guess, I`d assume it`s 60%. It can`t be 25% as two of the answers are the same and it can`t be 50% as the other two answers are different. 60% is the only answer left so it must be that.

    Unless they`re all wrong. Oo;
  4. Profile photo of BenTheBug
    BenTheBug Male 18-29
    1195 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 7:59 am
    100%
  5. Profile photo of BoredFrank
    BoredFrank Male 40-49
    2377 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:01 am
    50%!

  6. Profile photo of EthanCoker
    EthanCoker Male 18-29
    52 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:01 am
    It`s not a probability problem, it`s a statistics recall problem. Answer is probably C.
  7. Profile photo of Klamz
    Klamz Male 18-29
    689 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:02 am
    That`s not fair, I protest. We are the 25%.
  8. Profile photo of auburnjunky
    auburnjunky Male 30-39
    10339 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:04 am
    Always choose c.
  9. Profile photo of tedgp
    tedgp Male 30-39
    3287 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:05 am
    b
  10. Profile photo of vVvBrock
    vVvBrock Male 18-29
    177 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:06 am
    Green.
  11. Profile photo of MrOrange
    MrOrange Male 30-39
    2402 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:09 am
    100%
  12. Profile photo of morimacil123
    morimacil123 Male 18-29
    171 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:11 am
    E) none of the above
  13. Profile photo of AtheistAlien
    AtheistAlien Male 30-39
    809 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:12 am
    Telephone pole! Because motorcycles don`t have doors!
  14. Profile photo of uhmerikin
    uhmerikin Male 18-29
    876 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:17 am
    Donut.
  15. Profile photo of ggolbez
    ggolbez Male 18-29
    1933 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:18 am
    There is no correct answer.

    Normally in 4 answer questions, you have a 25% chance of getting it right. However, because two of the answers is 25% then that answer becomes void.

    So A and D are not the correct answer. You only have a 25% chance of choosing B and a 25% of choosing C. However, 50% is not the correct answer, and neither is 60%.

    So you might think, "Oh, there is no correct answer listed here. So the answer must be 0%". And you`d be right. However, listing 0% as an option would change the answer to the question. As such, the possibility of guessing 0% would be more than 0%.

    It`s a trick question with no answer. (But really the answer is 0%, unless the option of 0% is given).
  16. Profile photo of IrishJesus
    IrishJesus Male 18-29
    483 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:19 am
    IT`S A PARADOX, MOTHERF*CKER!
  17. Profile photo of RPossum
    RPossum Male 30-39
    1095 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:22 am
    The answer is cyclical so there is no answer: Normally a random choice would provide 25% (1 in 4). Since there are two answers that are 25% your chance of selecting one of them is 50%. Therefore your answer is B. So you have a 25% chance of selecting B, so your answer is A or D which gives you a 50% of being right so your answer is B -> and on and on we go....
  18. Profile photo of Klamz
    Klamz Male 18-29
    689 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:22 am
    Which is why I protest.
  19. Profile photo of RPossum
    RPossum Male 30-39
    1095 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:22 am
    Ggolbez beat me to it :)
  20. Profile photo of edana42
    edana42 Female 50-59
    2509 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:23 am
    50% - you`re either going to be right or wrong regardless of how many options you have to choose from.
  21. Profile photo of MrOrange
    MrOrange Male 30-39
    2402 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:27 am
    4 answers = 25%
    the avarage results of guessing is roughly 50%
    if you have a slight idea about said question, it is raised to 60%
    then you take a probability calculator, give it a nice cup of hot tea.
    and This is the defining factor. so the percentage becomes irrelevant becuase you are alway`s right. normality is now restored, anything you can`t cope with is therefore your own problem.
  22. Profile photo of bliznik
    bliznik Male 30-39
    868 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:29 am
    The only way to win is not to play...
  23. Profile photo of Deviros
    Deviros Male 18-29
    535 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:36 am
    The question itself is voided by the fact that there are two answers that are identical - making the question a logical fallacy.
  24. Profile photo of Gerry1of1
    Gerry1of1 Male 50-59
    36870 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:37 am

    MrOrange, we gotta stop meeting on oposite sides of topics.

    Answer - it`s a trick question.
    You`d think 1 in 4 is 25% but A & D are 25% so that makes it 2 in 4 which is 50%. But B is 50% so we`re back to 1 in 4 or 25%.

    Circular with no answer.
  25. Profile photo of Arcval
    Arcval Male 18-29
    304 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:39 am
    The validity of the question depends upon the type of random distribution involved, answer selection method and the person selecting the answer.

    inb4 paradox: Not necessarily. It`s only a 25% of picking a correct answer if you assume true randomness to your distribution, so unless the answer is being picked by a process involving radioactive decay it is not truly random.
  26. Profile photo of brocky86
    brocky86 Male 18-29
    75 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:48 am
    Deviros is a pseudointellectual. Everyone clap for him :-)
  27. Profile photo of MrOrange
    MrOrange Male 30-39
    2402 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:50 am
    it is a trick question yess, but not a percentage one.
    This question, that excludes averages.
    The answers provided can be correct or can`t be. it`s your own insecurity that tells you that it can`t be and that there has to be a correct answer in which case you enter the paradox.
    you are alway`s right. becuase there is no evidence to suggest you are wrong.

    oh and Gerry1of1, if you look at yourself in a mirror, how many of you are there?
  28. Profile photo of CrakrJak
    CrakrJak Male 40-49
    17514 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:00 am
    I choose `None of the above`
  29. Profile photo of srgkoala
    srgkoala Male 18-29
    299 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:01 am
    Actually, it never enters the infinite logic loop, most people would say that it`s first 25% because there are 4 possibilities, but 2 of them are the same, so IF the correct answer was 25% then there is a 50% chance of choosing the right one, BUT we have no reason to initially assume 25% as it does not fit the situation of 4 different answers. Therefore, because we don`t know that the answer is 25%, we also can`t then assume the answer to become 50%. Instead, we can look at all the different possibilities and consider them to be equally likely to be the initial answer. If it`s 25%, there`s a 50% chance of getting the right answer, if it`s 50% you have a 25% chance, and if it`s 60% you also have a 25% chance of getting it right. So as stated, if we consider that initially each of them is equally likely, the we get that each value (25%, 50%, or 60%) has a 33% chance of being the right answer. So the probability of guessing (at random) the correct answer is: (1/2 + 1/4 + 1/4)*(1/3)
  30. Profile photo of LazyMe484
    LazyMe484 Male 18-29
    10441 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:01 am
    You`d think 1 in 4 is 25% but A & D are 25% so that makes it 2 in 4 which is 50%. But B is 50% so we`re back to 1 in 4 or 25%.
    Dammit you are right. I had this whole retort ready but it kept falling apart.

    Yeah it`s circular.
  31. Profile photo of Cajun247
    Cajun247 Male 18-29
    10742 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:04 am
  32. Profile photo of Rawrg
    Rawrg Male 18-29
    934 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:05 am
    This is why you don`t let mathematicians do drugs. They come up with stuff like this.
  33. Profile photo of cc1ball
    cc1ball Male 30-39
    1 post
    October 28, 2011 at 9:06 am
    The answer is 0. Since two answers are the same, this gives you three possible answers to the question. Since none of the answers is 33.33% then you have a 0 percent chance of getting this right.
  34. Profile photo of srgkoala
    srgkoala Male 18-29
    299 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:10 am
    So we have that the probability is 33%, if you were to re-evaluate the question with the probability of guessing this, you would see that the probability is 0, and the probability of guessing that is 0, and so on....
  35. Profile photo of DeanoBoz
    DeanoBoz Male 40-49
    195 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:10 am
    I think "C" should be 75% to make matters worse (since it can be argued that 25% and 50% are both correct).
  36. Profile photo of Grendel
    Grendel Male 40-49
    6275 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:11 am
    Rawrg-"This is why you don`t let mathematicians do drugs."

    Incorrect, this is what happens to mathematicians after a night of heavy drinking.

    Remember: "Don`t drink and derive".


  37. Profile photo of Justin9235
    Justin9235 Male 18-29
    1582 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:14 am
    0%
    You will always be wrong... not because the question doesn`t have an answer. Just because you`re a failure. Now drop your math class and go take gym again.
  38. Profile photo of LillianDulci
    LillianDulci Female 18-29
    2674 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:15 am
    The answer depends on whether or not A and D are both considered correct, or if you have to choose a predetermined answer of A or D despite them being identical. If it`s the first case, then the answer is B. If it`s the second case, then the answer is either A or D.

    To make this easier, let`s just say that both A and D are considered correct, so the answer is B, 50%. Why? What`s the probability of choosing the correct answer out of 4 options? 25%. Consider that 25% shows up twice, so the answer has to be 50%, because you have a 50% chance of choosing either of the 25%`s.
  39. Profile photo of Gerry1of1
    Gerry1of1 Male 50-59
    36870 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:15 am

    No, Orange, it`s not insecurity on my part. If the question is the odds of getting it right, and the answer to that is zero, but zero is not an option, then it`s a trick question.

    To answer your question - How many of "me" in the mirror... None, I`m a vampire.
  40. Profile photo of Nickel2
    Nickel2 Male 50-59
    5879 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:16 am
    Most people of my age are 55
  41. Profile photo of Cajun247
    Cajun247 Male 18-29
    10742 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:18 am
    Don`t drink and derive
  42. Profile photo of MrOrange
    MrOrange Male 30-39
    2402 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:41 am
    @gerry1of1
    if the answers provided to the question are not correct, it means you can`t answer the question with those answers so if i say that my answer is right, the answers provided can`t be used to say i am wrong becuase they are. hence i am right.

    as long as you think that there is a right answer among the wrong answers you will be wrong.

    if i look in a mirror, i can see two of me, but i know there is only one of me.

    if take the sentence apart, This question,
    that excludes others so averages do not count.
    "if you choose an answer at random"
    where does it say that i have to pick one of the below?

    and that my opposing friend is the trick in the question.
  43. Profile photo of masterzero00
    masterzero00 Male 18-29
    57 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:00 am
    oooouuuuucchhhh X.X my brain hurrts
  44. Profile photo of splurbyburbl
    splurbyburbl Male 30-39
    2798 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:06 am
    The answer is ZERO.
  45. Profile photo of MrOrange
    MrOrange Male 30-39
    2402 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:08 am
    ok i think this is a simple explanation:



    There is nothing wrong with the above statement, you could only say that it is wrong becuase it claims to be true _until_ it is proofed _wrong_, which alows you to think it can be wrong but you can`t prove it is wrong hence it is alway`s true.

    it`s a linguistic paradox which holds no meaning other then what you give it. if you think it can be wrong, you will search in vain for that argument and you enter the paradox, accept that it is true and you do not.
  46. Profile photo of sparki1980
    sparki1980 Male 30-39
    329 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:28 am
    The answer is 25%.. one of the 25%s would be correct, but not both. This of course is with the assumption that it is a multiple choice question with only 1 answer allowed, the correct 1 answer, and 4 exclusive choices... thus removing answers where you can bubble in multiple choices. With that assumption there is no paradox... A person randomly bubbling it in would have a 1 in 4 chance always... you as the non-guesser have a 50% chance of picking the correct 25%.. but that`s not the question posed.
  47. Profile photo of Gerry1of1
    Gerry1of1 Male 50-59
    36870 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:33 am

    MrOrange "and that my opposing friend is the trick in the question."
    Told`ya it was a trick question. But it`s taken you 4 posts and a dozen paragraphs proving me wrong before you agreed with my conclusion.

    Brevity - get some.
  48. Profile photo of sparki1980
    sparki1980 Male 30-39
    329 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:39 am
    @Gerry,

    The answer can never be B, or C. There is only 1 correct answer and 4 choices, 2 25%s choices are still individual answers.. the person picking at random will ONLY pick 1 answer.. and ONLY has a 25% chance.... 1 of the 4 answer is correct, not 2. The trickery is for you the person reading and not picking picking at random.
  49. Profile photo of tedgp
    tedgp Male 30-39
    3287 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:39 am
    It`s 50% Youre either right or wrong.


    Theres a complex solution for it, but thats the right answer regardless.
  50. Profile photo of Batmanners
    Batmanners Male 18-29
    4006 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:57 am
    Randomly means not applying logic, selecting one of 4.

    Without consideration to the answers provided and selecting randomly, the correct answer is 25%.

    Since this test cheats and offers the 25% value twice, the answer may seem as though it would be 50%. If it were 50%, then the odds of picking 50% are 25% STILL.

    So 25% is there twice, 50% chance of picking 25%, plus the chance of picking 50%, which makes 3 of the answers correct.

    75% chance of picking A right answer, which is not on the test, therefore the odds of finding the correct answer of 75% is non existant, and thus the correct answer is 0%!

    NEVER GO IN AGAINST A SCICILIAN, WHEN DEATH IS ON THE LINE! Hahaha, hahaha, haha.....*dead*
  51. Profile photo of trumagic
    trumagic Male 18-29
    5 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:57 am
    i would say its 60%

    my reasons, the human mind
    there is a greater probability that when someone doesnt know a multiple choice answer they go for C.
    or will go for one of the middle answers

    very very rarely do people pick the 2 outer answers.

    theere is a very old psychological trick where if u ask someone to just think of a number between 1-10 60% of people will pick the number 7. people tend to think the outer edge answers are too obvious so in trying not to fit in with the "regular" people they go for what they beleive to be an obscure number when in actual fact they are following the crowd they so desperatly want to get away from.

    to sum up
    mathematically its either A or D - 25%
    but psychologically its more like C- 60%
  52. Profile photo of Batmanners
    Batmanners Male 18-29
    4006 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:58 am
    Scicilian
  53. Profile photo of DixxyRarr
    DixxyRarr Female 18-29
    2674 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:02 am
    60% of the time it works. Every time.
  54. Profile photo of spultra13
    spultra13 Male 18-29
    174 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:04 am
    Wow you guys, there is no correct answer. Troll question, you lose.
  55. Profile photo of Ruffiana
    Ruffiana Male 30-39
    506 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:11 am
    @tedgp, by that logic all probability can be simplified to 50%.

    Chance of rain in the Sahara desert...50%
    Chance you`ll die being struck by a meteor...50%
    Chance you`ll be impregnated by an extra-terrestrial and give birth to a child who will become the President in 50 years...50%
  56. Profile photo of MrOrange
    MrOrange Male 30-39
    2402 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:20 am
    the chance of choosing the right answer is 25%, there are two correct answers which brings you up to a chance of 50% so the answer to the question is B

    @gerry1of1 Brief enough for ya?
  57. Profile photo of Quackor
    Quackor Male 18-29
    2856 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:29 am
    but if the answer is B, then you only have 25% chance to get it right, its an endless loop
  58. Profile photo of MrOrange
    MrOrange Male 30-39
    2402 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:38 am
    Nope, the answer wanted is what is the chance of picking the right answer,

    the probability that you pick the right answer is 1/4, so the answer is 25% since there are two correct answers the chance is 50%

    thats the probabilty side of it, otherwise you come to the philosophical side of it which bring you to my previous post but appearantly they are to long.
  59. Profile photo of kru2wuero
    kru2wuero Male 13-17
    65 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:44 am
    YES it is true what i told myself when i was doing a test
  60. Profile photo of Grendel
    Grendel Male 40-49
    6275 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:52 am
    MrOrange-"the probability that you pick the right answer is 1/4, so the answer is 25% since there are two correct answers the chance is 50%"

    Take that one more step:
    The probability that you pick the right answer is 1/4, so the answer is 25% since there are two correct answers the chance is 50%. But the correct answer of 50% only appears once (i.e. 25% of the time) so the correct answer is 25%, but the correct answer of 25% appears twice (i.e. 50% of the time) so the correct answer is 50%, but the correct answer of....Ad infinitum.
  61. Profile photo of Ilikelogic
    Ilikelogic Male 40-49
    550 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:54 am
    Correct answer:
    "The chance you are correct is 0%
    Reason:
    *When choosing answer A, you assume 25% to be correct.
    This means B and C are not correct and D is correct too.
    Thus, the correct answer would be 50%.
    This means A is not a correct answer
    *Same logic applies to answer D.
    This means D is not a correct answer.
    *When choosing answer B, you assume 50% to be correct.
    This means A,C and D are not correct.
    Thus the correct answer would be 25%.
    This means B is not a correct answer.
    *When choosing answer C, you assume 60% to be correct.
    This means A, B and D are not correct.
    Thus the correct answer would be 25%
    This means C is not a correct answer.
    ** In summary none of the answers is correct.
    So the chance you will be correct is 4* 1/4 * 0 = 0%

    JUST A QUESTION OF LOGIC

    THIS POst should not be on IAB, as it isn`t boring at all!!
  62. Profile photo of jendrian
    jendrian Male 18-29
    2516 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:08 pm
    well yeah, all arguments about it being 25% are correct, but then if that is indeed the right answer, then it`s not random choice anymore because there are 2 clearly labeled as "25%"

    So even though the probability is 25%, the answer is any of the 4
  63. Profile photo of jendrian
    jendrian Male 18-29
    2516 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:09 pm
    @IlikeLogic

    that is stupid, one of the answers has to be correct, and the probability of each of them is 1/4th of being correct all the time
  64. Profile photo of Demynted
    Demynted Male 30-39
    78 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm
    You guys over-think this shyt. There are four possibles. Two of which are 25%. If you put all four answers in a hat and drew one at RANDOM, you will have a 50% chance of pulling out 25%. The answer is B)
  65. Profile photo of MrOrange
    MrOrange Male 30-39
    2402 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm
    @MeGrendel

    Take one step less. "if you choose an answer at random"
    leads you to 1/4 or 25%.
    "what is the _chance_ of picking the right answer"
    since 25% percent is present twice, it`s a 50% chance of picking the right answer at random.

    As said before the trick is not in the mathmatics, but in the linquistics.
  66. Profile photo of cheapleis138
    cheapleis138 Male 30-39
    120 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm
    The correct answer is a 1 in 3 chance of being correct. You don`t actually know the question being asked (you are being asked what the probability of being correct is, not which of those answers is correct to the question), and you really only have three answers (D is thrown in to be confusing, as is the wording of the question). The question is not pick A,B,C, or D, but to assess the probability of being correct in picking an answer.
  67. Profile photo of Thetas
    Thetas Male 18-29
    1540 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm
    @Demynted
    But B isn`t the right answer.
  68. Profile photo of MrOrange
    MrOrange Male 30-39
    2402 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:30 pm
    @cheapleis138

    nope, you are asked what the chance of being correct is
    so ... the probability is 1/4, your chances of picking that answer is 2/4 and thus 50%
  69. Profile photo of MrOrange
    MrOrange Male 30-39
    2402 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:35 pm
    my grammer and spelling suck so i just googled it,
    but, what is the function of the comma in grammer?
    if this definition is "Use a comma to separate the elements in a series (three or more things)"

    then do we get closer to reaching an understanding of the question asked?

    if we can agree on the question asked then we could perhaps also agree on a solution.
  70. Profile photo of SarahofBorg
    SarahofBorg Female 18-29
    3564 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm
    It`s B no matter what. The chance of getting it correct at random is 50% no matter what you do. Because the correct answer to the question is actually 25% (two chances out of 4), the chance of getting that answer is 50%. Just because answer B is correct to answer the question doesn`t mean it`s answering the same question. Essentially, it`s TWO questions with two answers. If the question was the chances of getting one of four answers correctly, it would be 25%. However, it`s REALLY asking what the chances are of getting 2 answers correctly.
  71. Profile photo of viperjason
    viperjason Male 18-29
    68 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:50 pm
    Its a paradox....plain and simple.
  72. Profile photo of MrOrange
    MrOrange Male 30-39
    2402 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm
    actualy, my blunt hit my object head. so i`m out!

    @gerry1of1 See what i mean with:
    The answers provided can be correct or can`t be. it`s your own insecurity that tells you that it can`t be and that there has to be a correct answer in which case you enter the paradox.
    you are alway`s right. becuase there is no evidence to suggest you are wrong.

    there is an probability and a chance of a right answer, and a probabilty of a wrong answer,
    the question can be answered in more way`s then 1, both on the linguistic side and on the mathmetical side, which means that there is a probability of a right answer, the chances of being proved wrong are irrelevant.

    if we each build the exact same wooden house,
    and we need calculate our sawcut, you could work out the probability of bieng wrong.
    i could assume i was right, err, on the positive side, make my cut, if lucky it fits if not i cut again, but my house will be ready, whilst your paradoxal excursions
  73. Profile photo of splurbyburbl
    splurbyburbl Male 30-39
    2798 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 12:57 pm
    No, the only correct answer is to not consider answering it... which means ZERO
  74. Profile photo of ctm11145
    ctm11145 Male 18-29
    2 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 1:13 pm
    well if you choose to answer or not thats 1/2 and the correct answer would be 25% but a and d are the correct answer so thats also 1/2. so its 1/2*1/2 and the answer is 25%
  75. Profile photo of Fatninja01
    Fatninja01 Male 30-39
    25420 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 1:18 pm
    Nice... its quite amusing to the people that get it
  76. Profile photo of Yawn-Man
    Yawn-Man Male 18-29
    51 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 1:22 pm
    Multiple Choice Rule No. 1: If in doubt, pick C
  77. Profile photo of QualityJay
    QualityJay Male 18-29
    303 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 1:24 pm
    easy, zero percent.
  78. Profile photo of Cajun247
    Cajun247 Male 18-29
    10742 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm
    Has anyone`s head exploded yet?
  79. Profile photo of Pallal
    Pallal Male 18-29
    76 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm
    From my perspective, if i were to choose an answer i knew was wrong at random, that would leave me with B or C and since that would make B correct, the obvious choice is C!
  80. Profile photo of Grendel
    Grendel Male 40-49
    6275 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm
    MrOrange-"As said before the trick is not in the mathmatics, but in the linquistics."

    You DO realize, of course, is that basic argument is "50% is the correct answer because the correct answer is 25%"?
  81. Profile photo of Boombeats
    Boombeats Male 18-29
    16 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 2:33 pm
    The answer is 1 IN 3.
  82. Profile photo of turbotong
    turbotong Male 18-29
    600 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 2:34 pm
    This makes my brain hurt...
  83. Profile photo of turbotong
    turbotong Male 18-29
    600 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm
    no, the answer is 0% but for different reasons.
    You have 50% chance to pick 25%
    you have 25% chance to pick 50%
    you have 25% chance to pick 60%
    The correct answer must be the one in which your % chance of picking it matches its declared value.
    None of those answers match the actual % chance you have to pick an answer, hence the answer is 0.
  84. Profile photo of kushking
    kushking Male 18-29
    90 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm
    wow you people are dumb
  85. Profile photo of uatme
    uatme Male 18-29
    1075 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm
    Lol its fun watching people`s head explode, better yet to watch people who think they get it...
  86. Profile photo of MattPrince
    MattPrince Male 40-49
    2220 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 3:11 pm
    I agree with the 0%`rs.

    @Jendrian "one of the answers has to be correct" ~ this is where you failed.
  87. Profile photo of MattPrince
    MattPrince Male 40-49
    2220 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm
    About the same chance as getting laid having shown this to your wife at 23:15 when you said you`d come down at 22:00.

    I guess..
  88. Profile photo of sunday_scour
    sunday_scour Male 18-29
    283 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 3:43 pm
    If you think this is bad googol the "Montey Hall Problem". Given 3 choices (doors) you pick a door at random. The host of the show then opens one of the 2 remaining doors, always the one without the prize. Should you keep your 1st guess or change it to the other closed door? Mathematically it comes down to: When you change your guess instead of keeping the 1st guess you are more likely to obtain the prize. (by some fration of three, I think. I don`t know. Look it up.) So, one random guess becomes less likely when one un-prized is opened. The door not yet considered is more likely than your first random guess. Given no information, of course, all your guesses will random; some more random than others. Check it out, I probably missed an important point.
  89. Profile photo of sunday_scour
    sunday_scour Male 18-29
    283 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 3:47 pm
    Oh yeah - The numbers might be the statistics on how often each letter is the answer in real multiple choice. If you don`t know the answer, pick C; if it`s definitely not C then pick B. It might have something to do with teachers trying to "hide" the answer; putting far from the top, but not the bottom. or whatever. I`m guessin`.
  90. Profile photo of randomxnp
    randomxnp Male 30-39
    1293 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 4:44 pm
    Turbotong is right. Well-thought and well-presented out answer.
  91. Profile photo of BrimstoneOne
    BrimstoneOne Male 30-39
    2229 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 5:24 pm
    LoL E) none of the above
  92. Profile photo of Solvent
    Solvent Male 18-29
    2842 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 6:09 pm
  93. Profile photo of angelo0317
    angelo0317 Male 18-29
    331 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 6:54 pm
    37.5%
  94. Profile photo of ShadowVamp
    ShadowVamp Female 18-29
    362 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 7:37 pm
    @Solvent: And anything in the fields science or engineering.
  95. Profile photo of ardystic
    ardystic Male 18-29
    1083 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 7:47 pm
    you know what drat this poo.
  96. Profile photo of MrLill
    MrLill Male 18-29
    371 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 8:55 pm
    B)50%, only 1 answer is possible of 4 choices, because of this fact, no matter what, the chances of choosing the correct answer is 25%, assuming the correct answer is present. That answers the question to ask yourself, but given that there are 2 chances to get 25% in the question you double the value of your odds, that answers the question they ask and the answer is B)50%
  97. Profile photo of aquafire714
    aquafire714 Male 18-29
    3 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:07 pm
    Assuming that only 1 answer is right Its still 25% chance. You`re completely guessing as if you have never seen that 2 answers are the same.
  98. Profile photo of MrLill
    MrLill Male 18-29
    371 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:14 pm
    but, the question shows you the 2 answers to mess with people. so far from reading the comments people say it`s a paradox that the answer remains 25% just because it`s the only choice, but given that the answer is on the board and the answer is 2/4 answers theres a 50% chance and no need to go further, that answers the question the question raises on what are the chances of being right.
  99. Profile photo of mParfait
    mParfait Male 18-29
    29 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 9:32 pm
    It`s not exactly 50% either. If you say that the right answer is 25% than there are two possible correct answers out of for so 50% is right. But then that means there`s only one correct answer which puts you back to 25% percent being the answer you want. so......
  100. Profile photo of goaliejerry
    goaliejerry Male 30-39
    4017 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:01 pm
    Zero is WRONG.

    The answer is *UNDEFINED*. Zero is a definate answer, but quite simply one cannot know what the "question" is.

    This is not a question that can be answered. Ignore the multiple choices - nothing in the prompt limits you to these four choices. The question has no answer that can be determined with logic.

    This is non-sensical. It is not even a paradox. It is like asking "How many flerpas do dipady triznos?" *UNDEFINED*
  101. Profile photo of The_Dave_Man
    The_Dave_Man Male 40-49
    33 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:12 pm
    I think this is a discrete math problem. It doesn`t matter that there are 2 answers that are the same. It matters that there are 4 possible choices but only one guess. In this case, since you have only one guess but 4 choices your answer is 25%. Most would think that since you have 2 25% choices it would be 25% "and" 25% giving you 50% but actually since you only have once choice, the operator isn`t "and" but "or". So the correct answer is "A" or "D" but not "A And D" falsely giving you "B".

    Correct Answer.... "A or D" :)
  102. Profile photo of goaliejerry
    goaliejerry Male 30-39
    4017 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:13 pm
    "given that the answer is on the board "

    Why do you assume that? What in the question limits your choices to those listed? Everyone is conditioned to see A, B, C, D and assume one is the answer. That is the mistake. You are all reading too much into it - I did it to. "Well, if I choose A, there are two so its 50%, so can`t be A, or D, or, um, B...hmmm."

    The multiple choice selections are irrelevant and meaningless - again, why only choose those? - tricking you into looking for meaning in them.

    See, there actually is no "question." This is more philosophical than logical. What is the right answer? There COULD be a "question" in the mind of the author, and there is some small chance you could randomly choose the answer from the ether, but you simply cannot deduce the probability based on the information given.

    The answer is *UNDEFINED*.
  103. Profile photo of goaliejerry
    goaliejerry Male 30-39
    4017 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:20 pm
    "There is only 1 correct answer and 4 choices"

    What limits you to only those four choices? Too many assumptions that the answer is in front of you. It doesn`t say "choose from below," or "choose from one of these."

    It is a trick. You cannot answer the question - thus the answer cannot be 0%, because that is a certain answer. The answer is undefined. Even if there is a correct answer, it is unknowable.
  104. Profile photo of MrLill
    MrLill Male 18-29
    371 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:40 pm
    The question is broken into parts, part 1 if you choose AN answer at to this question at random, what is the chance you would be correct. Now, ignoring the answers themselves and looking at possibilities one must ask self, self what do I think is correct? so I look and get 1/4 and get 25% which is correct considering there are 4 choices thus, 25%=correct answer. Part 2 there are 2, 25% choices. 25% is correct for the question, now using a chance to rethink the question, What is the chance you will be correct? knowing that 25%=correct answer, there are two choices that are 25%=correct making the odds 2/4 reducing to 1/2=50% which is the answer to the question because 25% is correct.
  105. Profile photo of MrLill
    MrLill Male 18-29
    371 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 10:43 pm
    I only replied assuming the correct answer is on the board to make things easier to understand, I never said it was, I just assumed that because in more than majority of scenarios there is a correct answer.
  106. Profile photo of MrLill
    MrLill Male 18-29
    371 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm
    technically, Dave Man is correct if you choose to think of it that way, but to Goalie jerry, I only go from the input of the question. I can see how you think the question is indeterminate. it`s good to think outside the box and believe the answer is not given. But, it is a question because of basic grammar. and questions should and do have answers. I like thinking within the question and form based on just the input, to think there`s more input without the input can cause problems in math that is more or less not experimental. But, even if I am not correct, there is an answer to this question out there in this place. math goes very far, much further than many people know.
  107. Profile photo of The_Dave_Man
    The_Dave_Man Male 40-49
    33 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:29 pm
    Ok I`ve got it...

    if you choose (A or D), you actually Get B(50%) and if you choose B you actually get (A or D)(25%). The proof using really big numbers in C#...

    char[] answer = {`a`, `b`, `c`, `d`};
    int i = 0;

    int count = 0;
    Random r = new Random();
    char guess = `f`;
    for (i = 0; i < 10000000; i++)
    {
    guess = answer;
    if( guess == `b`)
    count++;
    guess = `f`;
    }

    Console.Write(count);
    Console.Read();
    if (guess = `B`) you get 25% of the time
    if (guess = `a` || guess = `d`) you get 50%
    which blew my mind!!!

    Written in C#.

    In a nut shell.
    When you select 50% it only appears in 25% of the choices.
    Yet when you select 25% it appears in 50% of the choices.

  108. Profile photo of The_Dave_Man
    The_Dave_Man Male 40-49
    33 posts
    October 28, 2011 at 11:31 pm
    Path A gives Path B and visa versa path B gives path A.

    Hot dang, who ever wrote this is a gosh dang Houdini!!!
  109. Profile photo of The_Dave_Man
    The_Dave_Man Male 40-49
    33 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 12:08 am
    Even if the choices represented the answers it would still be a paradox.

    a.) 50%
    b.) 25%
    c.) doesn`t matter
    d.) 50%

    Now
    50% appears 50% of the time, not 25%
    and
    25% appears 25% of the time, not 50%,

    But now
    if you choose 25% it will be correct
    and
    if you choose 50% it will still be correct.

    Now this blows my mind even more because it is still a paradox. :|

    It seems everybody was correct...
  110. Profile photo of spanerbulb
    spanerbulb Male 30-39
    1244 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 1:12 am
    50%
  111. Profile photo of lisalezah
    lisalezah Female 18-29
    255 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 2:17 am
    I would have said 66.6666%
  112. Profile photo of Bananahammoc
    Bananahammoc Female 18-29
    309 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 3:47 am
    I DON`T UNDERSTAND THIS WIZARDRY.
  113. Profile photo of RaTheMighty
    RaTheMighty Male 18-29
    46 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 4:11 am
    25%. either A or D is the incorrect choice, although they are the same answer.
  114. Profile photo of Land_of_Ice
    Land_of_Ice Female 13-17
    22 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 4:39 am
    Wait, 0%. It`s a paradox. If you pick 25% you have a 50% chance of getting it right; if you pick either 50% or 60%, you have a 25% of getting it right.
  115. Profile photo of Mikeado
    Mikeado Male 18-29
    2159 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 5:13 am
    50%. You`re either right or you aren`t.
  116. Profile photo of ryanwi
    ryanwi Male 30-39
    73 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 7:10 am
    @Mikeado, that isn`t funny. I actually had someone tell me that the chance of scoring a touchdown on a given play in football was 50% because either you do or you don`t score a touchdown. They could not be convinced they were wrong.

    Those are the kind of people the lottery is made for.
  117. Profile photo of number1man
    number1man Male 13-17
    240 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 10:21 am
    0.0
  118. Profile photo of Idlerlee2
    Idlerlee2 Male 18-29
    135 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 11:28 am
    none of the above, 33% is the right answer
  119. Profile photo of Snow_Orb
    Snow_Orb Male 18-29
    5 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 12:39 pm
    @ryanwi
    No, those are the kind of people a shot to the head is made for.
  120. Profile photo of miasmaat
    miasmaat Female 18-29
    298 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 12:44 pm
    .33
  121. Profile photo of Lobotomy
    Lobotomy Male 13-17
    495 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 2:43 pm
    Well its not 60%
  122. Profile photo of Discobiscuit
    Discobiscuit Male 18-29
    542 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 2:59 pm
    Could someone work this out for me? My mind is thinking in a circular path
  123. Profile photo of donkeyracer
    donkeyracer Female 13-17
    2 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 3:27 pm
    the answer is B 50%.
  124. Profile photo of jamilworm
    jamilworm Male 18-29
    54 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 3:43 pm
    It`s not 33%, because if that was the right answer than there is no way you`d get it right choosing an answer at random. It`s got to be 0%.
  125. Profile photo of rodgeramjit
    rodgeramjit Female 18-29
    5 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm
    It is 60%
  126. Profile photo of I-IS-BORED
    I-IS-BORED Male 18-29
    2419 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 5:44 pm
    Question is kinda faulty, if I choose an answer to a question with 4 options at RANDOM then what they actually say has no input so my odds are 1/4 of getting it right.
  127. Profile photo of shappy
    shappy Male 18-29
    757 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 7:00 pm
    oh well thats easy... wait... but if i... b...aaaaah.....DOES NOT COMPUTE!!......01000011 01010010 01001001 01010100 01001001 01000011 01000001 01001100 00100000 01000110 01000001 01001001 01001100 01010101 01010010 01000101
  128. Profile photo of DrProfessor
    DrProfessor Male 18-29
    3894 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 8:24 pm
    noooooooooooooooooooo. my heaaaaaaaadddd.
  129. Profile photo of PsychGeek
    PsychGeek Female 18-29
    1798 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 8:55 pm
    it`s 50%..either you`re correct, or you`re not.
  130. Profile photo of hi2pi
    hi2pi Male 30-39
    736 posts
    October 29, 2011 at 9:31 pm
    It`s A Trap!
  131. Profile photo of incubus_inc
    incubus_inc Male 18-29
    977 posts
    October 30, 2011 at 1:01 am
    It`s a paradox in a sense. Just like Pinocchio saying, "My nose will grow now."
  132. Profile photo of sutra46
    sutra46 Female 40-49
    2550 posts
    October 30, 2011 at 1:09 am
    50%
  133. Profile photo of foolsbliss
    foolsbliss Male 18-29
    1 post
    October 30, 2011 at 1:28 am
    easy, 0%. no matter what you choose you are wrong.
  134. Profile photo of KnitGnosis
    KnitGnosis Male 18-29
    18 posts
    October 30, 2011 at 1:41 am
    0%. Since two of the answers are the same there is technically only 3 options and you can only choose 1 option. Hence 1 out of 3, should be correct, but since .33 is not an option none of the answers are correct so you have no probability of choosing the right answer.
  135. Profile photo of Zuriel
    Zuriel Male 30-39
    554 posts
    October 30, 2011 at 10:17 am
    E) 0%

    creating your own choice is the only answer
  136. Profile photo of semisweet72
    semisweet72 Female 18-29
    31 posts
    October 30, 2011 at 10:28 am
    i think its .5 since ure not supposed to make educated guesses. ure just supposed to choose.
  137. Profile photo of LENARiT
    LENARiT Male 18-29
    43 posts
    October 30, 2011 at 12:24 pm
    sutra46 :AAAAA :)
  138. Profile photo of TypicalJerk
    TypicalJerk Male 18-29
    533 posts
    October 30, 2011 at 5:23 pm
    Answer: YOU ARE ALL WRONG
  139. Profile photo of Psychic_Will
    Psychic_Will Male 18-29
    3 posts
    October 30, 2011 at 5:57 pm
    ould have been to add an answer E): 20%. This way you cause there to be 5 answers, meaning that if you randomly selected an answer from the five you would have a 1:5 chance of picking any one answer. 1:5=1/5=0.2=20%. So, 20% is the best answer I see for this problem, assuming you want to over think it like I did and force it to be within the parameters set by it being a multiple choice question. I apologize for the extended post; I am still new to having to limit characters in posts as I only recently became more active on the Internet. Moderators, please don’t delete it (them), I will do my best to make sure that this doesn’t happen again. Thanks. If you followed this logic all the way through, you don’t need glasses.
  140. Profile photo of Psychic_Will
    Psychic_Will Male 18-29
    3 posts
    October 30, 2011 at 5:59 pm
    ldn`t be, truly, because it would contradict itself. If you were never right, then how could E) (0%) be a correct answer? As such, those who said that 0% is the right answer were only partially correct. While there is no correct answer as is, saying 0% is the right answer and should be there as E) would cause it to be a paradoxical answer, being wrong because it`s right (since there is no right answer, it’s correct, but by being correct it becomes the right answer, making it wrong) and right because it`s wrong (now that 0% has been determined to be wrong, it can be right again, bringing us back to the previous parenthetical phrase). Those who simply said 0%, without suggesting it be added as E), were really right, but not technically as correct as they could have been, considering how they`d simply dismissed the problem as unsolvable even with modification (which it isn’t) or simply didn`t think that far. The way I see it, the best way to alter and solve this problem w
  141. Profile photo of Psychic_Will
    Psychic_Will Male 18-29
    3 posts
    October 30, 2011 at 6:00 pm
    If I chose an answer to the question in this image at random, assuming that I can only randomly choose one of the given answers A) through D), There would be no chance of my being correct; I would have a 0% chance. 0%, however, is not an option (this possibility will be addressed later), so this is an unsolvable question with the given choices. This will be shown presently:

    A): Because 25% is listed as an option twice, meaning it occurs 50% of the time, randomly choosing an answer causes 25% to turn up 50% of the time. The answer here and in D) is 25%, not 50%. This answer is wrong.

    B): The answer 50% only turns up once. Since there are 4 answers, it turns up 25% of the time. The answer B) is 50%, not 25%. This answer is also wrong.

    C): This answer is wrong because none of the options turn up 60% of the time.

    D): This answer is wrong for the same reason that A) was wrong.

    Adding an answer E): 0%, would seem right, but in fact wou
  142. Profile photo of Anshin
    Anshin Female 18-29
    127 posts
    October 30, 2011 at 6:55 pm
    Ah, I thought it said "What percentage of bears could answer this?"
    I was tricked.
  143. Profile photo of uatme
    uatme Male 18-29
    1075 posts
    October 31, 2011 at 5:32 pm
    @Psychic_Will if you can just change the problem.. just only put 1 answer and make it 1. Better yet just make it a statement saying you are correct.
  144. Profile photo of yoda141
    yoda141 Male 18-29
    266 posts
    November 3, 2011 at 7:47 pm
    It`s a paradox, no real solution. And no, it`s not 0% either. You run into a contradiction no matter which starting point (25% or 50%) you begin your reasoning with. in other words, the "right answer" is recursive onto itself, you need to "define the right answer to define the right answer".

Leave a Reply