Occupy Wall Street-Style Protests Spread To London

Submitted by: fancylad 6 years ago in
http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/09/8234525-occupy-wall-street-style-protests-spread-to-britain

Hey UK, get ready for your own American-style Occupy Wall Street this Saturday, October 15 at the Financial District.
There are 41 comments:
Male 259
City of London ( the Financial District ) is closed at weekends. Empty streets = pointless exercise.
0
Reply
Male 663
>>Currently politicians are more dependent on people with lots of money because they need lots of money just to pay to maybe keep their job when the next election rolls around. So long as they are forced to spend more then they make in order to keep their job, they are necessarily corrupt.<<<

So we agree on the problem but not the solution. See we aren`t so different after all.
0
Reply
Male 540
I kind of agree with you about what how much power the government has. The primary function of the government should be keeping people with lots of power from drating over the people with little. The only was to make sure that happens is if the people in the government are equally accountable to everyone.

Currently politicians are more dependent on people with lots of money because they need lots of money just to pay to maybe keep their job when the next election rolls around. So long as they are forced to spend more then they make in order to keep their job, they are necessarily corrupt.
0
Reply
Male 663
>>The idea is to give everyone an easy side by side comparison of everyone running for an office. <<<

There is no easy side by side. What are the issues you are going to use.

Lets see do you support human rights. Well who is going to answer no?

The real issues are nuanced and complicated a simple fill in the bubble answer sheet is not workable.
0
Reply
Male 663
>>>Addendum: If it is just you talking politics that is fine. Radio ads and TV commercials would be the main target. A candidate with a $20 budget should be able to compete with a candidate with a $20 million budget.<<<

So whomever can put together the biggest movement wins? Sounds like money still rules to me.

So news casters can sway the public by the way they report the news and candidates can not respond? The same for writers and actors and other entertainment media? Sounds like you are just giving the power to someone else. Nope I still like our system, or what it was before the latest regs. All have freedom of speech about anything at anytime.

If you are so concerned why don`t you go after this a different way. Take as much power as possible away from the government. Make it as small as possible. Taxes as flat as possible. Spending as small as possible, and regs as few as possible. Then who would want to waste money buying a
0
Reply
Male 540
Addendum: If it is just you talking politics that is fine. Radio ads and TV commercials would be the main target. A candidate with a $20 budget should be able to compete with a candidate with a $20 million budget.
0
Reply
Male 540
>> So I can not tell you who I support or why? Why don`t we just draw lots? <<

You as a politician or you as a individual/group?

The idea is to give everyone an easy side by side comparison of everyone running for an office.

All the other groups can go drat themselves. Voters should make up their own mind instead of going with whatever some arbitrary group has decided is the best person for the job.
0
Reply
Male 663
>>>Everyone one running for an office is give a boilerplate webpage where they can check "For" and "against" various issues. Maybe a small limited box where they can put in whatever they want. Any other campaigning is illegal. Thus campaign financing becomes a thing of the past. <<<

So I can not tell you who I support or why? Why don`t we just draw lots?
0
Reply
Male 663
You made statements as if they were facts to support your argument and I guess sway others to support your belief. I challenge them and I am a "douche bag."
0
Reply
Male 663
>> That vampire guy foreclosed on Wells Fargo because they wrongly forclosed on him and didn`t respond to his letters or his lawyers.<<

One example good for you, but this had NOTHING to do with robo signing. And to bad that 1 does not equal "country littered."

>>The objective of the Iranian war was to depose Saddam Hussein. Completed.
The Objective of the Afghanistan war was to capture of kill Osama bin Laden. Competed.<<

So again I ask you is it in our interest to leave now and let those countries be taken over again by rogue elements? Or is it perhaps money better spent staying until they are functioning democratic states?


>>401K`s are meant to be low risk.<<

Since when? Read your statement read the literature of the investments you purchased

>>There you go jerkface. I got your answers w/o Google. But I`m done with morons.<<

Wow have a different opin
0
Reply
Male 540
My extreme solution to current corruption:
1) Everyone one running for an office is give a boilerplate webpage where they can check "For" and "against" various issues. Maybe a small limited box where they can put in whatever they want. Any other campaigning is illegal. Thus campaign financing becomes a thing of the past.

2) Execute anyone who is directly involved in bribing a politician. (And the politician as well.)

That would just be the start of course... >:)
0
Reply
Male 7,378
Wow you`re a douchebag. That vampire guy foreclosed on Wells Fargo because they wrongly forclosed on him and didn`t respond to his letters or his lawyers.
The objective of the Iranian war was to depose Saddam Hussein. Completed.
The Objective of the Afghanistan war was to capture of kill Osama bin Laden. Completed.
401K`s are meant to be low risk.
There you go jerkface. I got your answers w/o Google. But I`m done with morons.
0
Reply
Male 663
>>>If I were to rob someone of $90K I would be in jail.<<<

Who robbed you? You admit that the mistake was yours. You had funds at risk in the market and the market went down. I have no idea if $90k was a large or small portion of your 401k. I can suggest that at 48 if it was a small portion you had a lot of catching up to do. I would also wonder if you panicked and pulled all your money out just as the market started going up again. I know that I have regained my losses since 2008. However it is really none of my business what you did or did not do. Unless you are trying to blame someone else for it.
0
Reply
Male 663
>>>>>> You have Google. You can answer those questions yourself.<<,

Ahh I see the answers would make your argument less appealing. <<<

So I will answer them.

1. The market is risky take your money out of stocks and put them in low risk investments, i.e. bonds preferably government bonds to limit risk. " A generation of people are retiring with gutted retirement funds." Due to their own ignorance and or greed.

2. The job that needs to be done in the "two wars" is not finished. After we went and broke everything you really want us to just pull up and leave?

3. No person that paid their mortgage on time as agreed has been foreclosed. You statement "The country is littered with abandoned homes off forged foreclosures" is just a red herring hyperbole.
0
Reply
Male 7,378
I`m 48 and I lost $90k of my 401K. Admittedly I`m an investment moron. But if investing is such an important byproduct of living why isn`t it taught in high school? Not that I paid attention in high school but I`m part of the 99%. I play by the rules and get shafted. If I were to rob someone of $90K I would be in jail.
0
Reply
Male 663
Regarding you Vein Diagram. Your solution and the solution of those in the protest seems to be give the government more power. How does that solve anything?
0
Reply
Male 663
>>> You have Google. You can answer those questions yourself.<<,

Ahh I see the answers would make your argument less appealing.

So you are now talking about pensions not individual retirement accounts?
0
Reply
Male 7,378
dang007, You have Google. You can answer those questions yourself. About the "high risk" investments. They weren`t high risk. They were insured by AIG and rated AAA by all the ratings agencies.

0
Reply
Male 663
>>These wars cost $10billion a month even though both war objectives have been met. <<

So lets just leave. Perhaps the price we would pay later if we let these places get taken back over by crazies is to big. Still I am not sure why we don`t just stick our kids with the bill when it comes due. Seems like that`s how pay for everything else.
0
Reply
Male 663
>>>CEO`s of banks make anywhere between $4 - $80million a year. They pay lobbyists so they can pay less in taxes than the working man and yet they produce nothing.<<

I am still waiting for the portion of the tax code that has "special" breaks for millionaires.
0
Reply
Male 663
>>>A generation of people are retiring with gutted retirement funds.<<<

Can you site the retirement fund that REQUIRED these people to keep a substantial portion of their plans in high risk investments?
0
Reply
Male 663
>>>The country is littered with abandoned homes off forged foreclosures<<<

Can you site ONE just one example were the people paid and were foreclosed on?
0
Reply
Male 7,378
That`s the tactic the media`s been using to minimize OWS. The problem with spewing words that summarize what they want is an impossibility. We have been at war for 10years. These wars cost $10billion a month even though both war objectives have been met. Politicians work to convince the masses that medicaid and Social Security are the reasons we`re broke. Wall St. rigged a scheme where they were the only beneficiaries. A generation of people are retiring with gutted retirement funds. The country is littered with abandoned homes off forged foreclosures and Wall Street employees get million dollar bonus`s and not a soul goes to jail. CEO`s of banks make anywhere between $4 - $80million a year. They pay lobbyists so they can pay less in taxes than the working man and yet they produce nothing. Same with insurance agencies. CEO`s make $50million a year and do nothing but push paper. We are a nation of greedy scammers. I don`t know how to summarize this revolution in a sentence or two.
0
Reply
Male 663
>>> they just want money out of politics. <<<

This is impossible. There is no way to do this period. The system we have now is the best of all the choices.
0
Reply
Male 1,399
Wellp, madest, that is the choice you`re making.

If government has more power, it has more power to sell. Business is not going to simply do nothing; they are going to exercise as much influence as they possibly can on their regulators.

BTW, I`d like your opinion on what the Occupy movement wants. They didn`t seem to know, so now they`ve been completely co-opted by the left. What was the original demand?
0
Reply
Male 14,331
@madest

We did that when we let Clinton outsource jobs to China.
0
Reply
Male 7,378
[quote]I`ll make a deal with the Occupiers: Keep government out of business, and business will stay out of government.[/quote]
-------------------
Yeah, Lets allow corporations to pollute the planet. Keep unsafe workplaces. Lets allow them to pay their employees less than minimum wage and deny their workers vacation time. That would make everything so much better...[/sarcasm]
0
Reply
Male 12,138
Funky, I just arrived in London less than an hour ago. Mind you, I got here flying First Class, so I guess I`m on the hit-list...
0
Reply
Male 1,399
I`ll make a deal with the Occupiers: Keep government out of business, and business will stay out of government.

It`s that simple.
0
Reply
Male 4,902
This should be interesting.
0
Reply
Male 210
This movement is turning into an international protest against the corrupt system. They are sick of the corporate/banking involvement in politics. They want a real democracy, instead of votes being meaningless because politicians are always looking after their financiers. I don`t think the majority are complaining about rich people like the media say`s, they just want money out of politics. I can`t understand why people are against this.
0
Reply
Male 181
Wasn`t this supposed to be handeled by some one (of an anonymous name) Today?
0
Reply
Male 25,416
London riots 2: The rematch
0
Reply
Male 361
Lol, idiots, it`s getting very cold here
0
Reply
Male 3,285
Be funny to see them protesting when the governement has ordered a full clampdown on protests.
0
Reply
Male 528
ok we`re both in a similar position, we`re both in debt because of our governments, big woop.. thank god i`m 500 miles north of london and don`t have to deal with protests etc etc
0
Reply
Male 2,440
The hippie apocalypse is nigh.
0
Reply
Male 1,685
copy-cats!
0
Reply
Male 4,593
I hope London stays awesome and pulls out the water canons.
0
Reply
Male 2,841
Quick, run to you nearest fallout shelter! The stupidity plague has crossed the ocean!
0
Reply
Male 20,908
Link: Occupy Wall Street-Style Protests Spread To London [Rate Link] - Hey UK, get ready for your own American-style Occupy Wall Street this Saturday, October 15 at the Financial District.
0
Reply