A Lesson To Americans About The UK [Pic]

Submitted by: Voteforkudos 7 years ago in Misc

Hey Yankees: England, Britain and the United Kingdom are three different things--stop screwing it up.
There are 435 comments:
Male 2,221
So,Canada wasn`t in WW2, your teeth are perfect and we didn`t save the british empire from the Nazis? Bugger -off you wankers.
0
Reply
Male 5,413
Here`s a little puzzle for the yanks.
Try to say the words
Ask, Herb, Aluminium, Gerard...can go on.
0
Reply
Male 117
zeegrr that would be France that the U.S.A. saved not America
0
Reply
Female 251
zeegrr I have nice teeth thanks. plus I look pretty good naked, too. And i`ve "drated" many other stright toothed ladies. probably more so than yourself!

now please excuse me while I put on my slippers, finish my cigar and stroke my persian.
0
Reply
Male 86
Straight up, Zeegr! Let`s here it for `Merica!
0
Reply
Male 246
Zeegr: "Love ya!-America (The country that..."

Zeegr: America is not a country. It`s a continent (like Europe also is). America is divided in three parts: South America, Central America, and North America. I`m not 100% sure, but quickly thinking, North America has the least number of countries of all three Americas.

One of the countries in North America is the United States of America (a.k.a. USA). "United States" ... "United Kingdom"... similarities here?

So when you say "America (The country that..." you are completely wrong. Twice, because the USA was not the only american country to fight the WW-II.
0
Reply
Female 130
lol at the comment before me :p
0
Reply
Male 527
Dear Great Britian,
Sorry you haven`t drated a pretty girl with straight teeth since 1775. Keep up the Great work taking care of your teeth. Love ya!-America (The country that kicked your ass AND saved you from the Nazis!)
0
Reply
Female 126
Wow did this have to be presented in such a way that suggest that the American reading this is an ignoramous? THE UNITED KINGDOM CAN SUCK IT.

.. proud to be an Uh-merr-ick-can !!
0
Reply
Male 196
"Don`t be a dick. No-one here cares except me and you, and we`re supposed to have moved on from these things by now."
Davy, I was merely using that since it is the perfect example of how words in Irish are not pronounced the way they are spelled. Perhaps I should have left of the "Ar La" part.
0
Reply
Male 12,138
[quote]If you really want to screw with Americans try teaching them Irish. I would like to see them try to pronounce "Tiocfaidh ár lá".[/quote]
Don`t be a dick. No-one here cares except me and you, and we`re supposed to have moved on from these things by now.
0
Reply
Male 196
@Krayzeegirl
It could also do with the 800 years of oppression.
0
Reply
Male 196
Just realized the accents don`t show up correctly here. ar la with ` over the A`s
0
Reply
Female 447
lol nope i cant pronounce that. But it is one small explanation of why the Irish seem so pissed off. I do love Ireland either way. Good music, beautiful countryside and alot of sexy men.
0
Reply
Male 196
If you really want to screw with Americans try teaching them Irish. I would like to see them try to pronounce "Tiocfaidh ár lá".
0
Reply
Male 1
@buiadh
I love it :D I mean, you state at the end that in actual fact you DO know the difference, you just "pretend" to be ignorant, however to back up that claim you referred several times to Ireland and the Irish, of which, are a part of none of the above. The Northern Irish (from Northern Ireland) are a part of the United Kingdom, but the Republic of Ireland (commonly known as Ireland, home of the Irish) is... well.... a republic?

But of course, you knew that :)

you fail :)
0
Reply
Female 336
I met an English couple in the store I work in and I don`t remember exactly how the conversation got around to this, but the husband told me a lot of Americans have said to him, his wife and other friends of theirs who`ve traveled to the US "Oh, you`re from England! Do you know the Queen?!"

WTF? I could only gape at him and shake my head because the stupidity of such a question just left me speechless. It`s no wonder so many people all over the world think all Americans are idiots!
0
Reply
Male 527
Limeys still suck.
0
Reply
Female 23
@ashbexmaeur
"and leave the poor Scottish and Wales right out of the mix."
You got the plural for Scottish right, but why are we referred to as "Wales" and not the Welsh? :`)
0
Reply
Male 2,159
As good as this is, I don`t think the C-word was entirely necessary. That even gets censored on late-night shows. No, I didn`t mean porn.
0
Reply
Male 1,744
at least now i know why that flag was used during the world cup....but never really cared either
0
Reply
Female 157
I knew this, because I paid attention in 7th grade geography class, but thanks nonetheless. As for you, Shadow, I really think you`re flipping over nothing.

A lot of dumb people I know think that Britain is full of people who drink tea all day, and won`t stop reading The Hitchhiker`s Guide, and leave the poor Scottish and Wales right out of the mix.
0
Reply
Male 1,153
i think americans should try to learn this.

Took me dratin long enough to learn work out america was in north america not vice versa. and north and south america makes up the americas. but not the united states of america.
0
Reply
Male 1,153
i thought britain was in england.
0
Reply
Male 196
Half the people in Northern Ireland don`t know that Britain is the Island in which Scotland, Wales and England are.
0
Reply
Male 260
yea for the last damn time, all you america haters can really go drat yourselves, thats not how we all are, i really hope one day you all realize how much america has done for the world, stop blaming us for the worlds problems, stop calling us all dumbasses, we can do the same thing to you... but of course your all immature and have nothing better to do with your lives

take a good look dumbasses, IAB`s server is hosted in AMERICA
0
Reply
Female 126
Nope. Wrong. All Europeans are homogeneous.

YOU WILL NOT FOOL ME.

@alliebraap J/K ;3
0
Reply
Male 18
Cant you feel the anglo-america love in this room?
0
Reply
Male 68
Thank you, DaPoohbuh.
You at least separate yourself from the majority of Americans too proud to give a sh*t cuz they don`t like being told they`re wrong.
As for the rest of you Yanks, shut the f*ck up.
0
Reply
Male 582
WHO CARES!?
0
Reply
Male 5,194
Just call them "Ucks", saves a lot of trouble.
0
Reply
Female 22
@lunaticlover
who were the "most" people you spoke to?
because e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e i know knows more than New York and Florida. I know a lot of places in the US. i know all the states names there, i probably couldn`t name them all on the spot, but neither could most americans i persume.



0
Reply
Female 78
Hm. I knew all of this... except for the flag thing. Good to know, I guess.
0
Reply
Female 314
Americans are too lazy to read all this
0
Reply
Male 6,737
"Suck it, English, British, Scottish, Irish, or what the hell ever. Just because you`ve decided that hyper-patriotism to your surrounding 50 miles is more important than your country of Great Britain as a whole doesn`t mean that everyone else has to know all the details of what you feel is important details. If England hadn`t been an ass and taken over Scotland and Ireland in the first place we wouldn`t have a hard time keeping it straight.

And by the way, most of us CAN tell the difference between an English, Irish, and Scottish accent... it`s just annoying that you care so much so we purposely act like we don`t give a crap... cause we don`t."

Someone needs to go back to history class.
0
Reply
Female 688
@fartman51
Yes. Separate countries that are, to some degree, ruled by parliament in Westminster (London, ENGLAND) Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have varying degrees of devolution (power given back to them from Westminster). the Welsh Assembly, Scottish Parliament and Northern Irealnd Assembly all have certain amounts of control of their own country, with some things (such as the right to declare war) still being held in Westminster.

Hope that goes some way to clearning up our system of government :)
0
Reply
Male 67
So wait a second: Are England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland separate nations then? Are they just allied to the point of a permanent alliance, or are they more like separate states? And are all of the nations equal partners, or does one essentially rule the others?
0
Reply
Female 151
do you really think that I would care??!?
0
Reply
Female 354
Also, a lot of the English and Irish people I spoke to had no idea what New England (where I live) was, and appeared to only be aware of Florida and New York.

Ignorance goes both ways, guys.
0
Reply
Female 354
I`m American and I knew that, I`ve been to these places. Irish hate being called English, English and British aren`t the same thing, The Union flag is not the English flag, The Union flag is only called the Union Jack when it`s flying on a ship, The Republic of Ireland isn`t part of the UK, blah blah blah.

Not only did I research it before I went across the pond, they also rub it in your face while you`re there.

I hate those people who act like they`re so much better and smarter than Americans. It`s so obnoxious and childish.
0
Reply
Female 354
I`m American and I knew that, I`ve been to these places. Irish hate being called English, English and British aren`t the same thing, The Union flag is not the English flag, The Union flag is only called the Union Jack when it`s flying on a ship, The Republic of Ireland isn`t part of the UK, blah blah blah.

Not only did I research it before I went across the pond, they also rub it in your face while you`re there.

I hate those people who act like they`re so much better and smarter than Americans. It`s so obnoxious and childish.
0
Reply
Female 688
The annoyance a Scot feels when they get called English is not the same as someone from Ohio being refered to as American, its the same as an American being called Canadian.
0
Reply
Female 23
I`m proud to be Welsh, not just because I`m Welsh, but because it`s considered and `insignificant country`. That is all. I just want us to be acknowledged a little :`)
0
Reply
Female 6
Hmm, I remember when IAB used to be funny...
0
Reply
Male 224
Eh I don`t care...You damned brits gotta be all sensitive about nothing, at least your black people don`t act like the unsophisticated douches we got in the states (Sorry to those in the black community in the US who are not unsophisticated douches, those very few of you). Be glad about that.
0
Reply
Male 68
@obhwfgirl:
It`s because there`s a certain pride about nationality over here. Welsh people are proud to be from Wales, and Scots are proud to be Scottish. It`s not the same with mere states.
0
Reply
Female 582
@Shokz

The geographical nuances are not the point.

The point is that whoever made this map is getting their knickers in a twist over something that`s inconsequential. So you`re from Wales, but the Americans call you English is like a Brit not knowing where Colorado is. I know, but why would I expect you to? It has no relevancy in your daily life.

So, in the end, does it really matter? Is it worth being an uptight ass? A bigger person would just shrug it off and chalk up the misunderstanding to the fact that the nuances of a country`s geography are mostly relevant to the people who actually live in that country.
0
Reply
Female 23
Zombieland, how can you say "Europeans are stuck up c*nts"? The ones you met may be, but I don`t like bigoted people who generalise a nation as one characteristic, so when you have met every European person, only then can you make such a point :)
0
Reply
Male 418
europeans are stuck up c*nts
0
Reply
Male 83
and i care about this because...?
0
Reply
Female 1,077
i knew this already, but i have several friends who lie in england. and to be honest, the people over there sometimes have trouble explaining the difference. source: i asked one of my friends who LIVES in england the difference between the three and her explanation was: "um well...england is like. where i am. and britain is...the whole thing."
0
Reply
Male 117
So, obhwfgirl, what exactly would these "nuances" be? Pretty sure most could draw a basic map of the US and even get the exact locations of quite a few states :/
0
Reply
Female 23
Maniaman88, I too am curios as to why my country isn`t represented on it ha. But, a dragon might be a BIT too big for the flag apparently :`)
0
Reply
Male 15
I actually already knew all of this, and the thing that`s always bugged me is that Wales isn`t represented on the Union Jack, though England, Scotland and Ireland are. I`m also curious as to when and why Ireland changed its flag from Saint Patrick`s Cross (Argent a saltire gules) to the three bands.
0
Reply
Female 23
Also, America stole our Newport, New York is named after our York, as is New Hampshire. Just saying.
0
Reply
Male 68
@DavioMagnifi:
These lowly states basically invented the USA and all you`ve got to show for it is a civil war and the Manhattan Project.
0
Reply
Female 23
I`m from the UK, but more clearly, Wales (the little bit off England for all you Americans who don`t know it), and when ever I go on holiday abroad (including the US), I get asked if I`m English. No. I am Welsh. England is not a generalisation, so don`t use it as one. There are 3 other patrs of the UK apart from England,
0
Reply
Male 741
Well, "the British" let me tell you something: Nobody gives a poo. If I had a penny for every time they call me drating Mexican and I`m actually Puerto Rican I`d be a millionaire.
0
Reply
Male 599
I`m from the US, and we just have states. So basically what i got from this is that england and a bunch of other lowly state things are part of one big country, the UK.
0
Reply
Male 1,089
i actually didnt know this. but thanks for being a dick about it.
0
Reply
Male 143
I feel smart because I knew this
0
Reply
Male 1,196
they really need to choose a name for their country
0
Reply
Male 4,290
When Americans tell me "Oh my Gawd! I`m part Scottish!" I like to pretend I know their extremely distant relatives personally.
0
Reply
Male 68
@ninjagrover

Hell yeah it is :D
0
Reply
Male 452
"The picture under Britain is in fact Great Britain (the largest island within the British Isles), the picture under the United Kingdom is actually Britain or the British Isles which includes the whole of Ireland (Eire). But yes the United Kingdom is a politic entity much like the United states and includes the countries England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland."

QFT, although, I think the UK one is correct, since Ireland wasn`t labeled, only Nothern Ireland; for some reason they didn`t remove the rest of the country.
0
Reply
Male 646
Really? .... Who cares....
0
Reply
Male 417
That`s why I just call `em all "Europeans" ... covers the whole lot.
0
Reply
Male 1
I can`t believe the above is so wrong.

The picture under Britain is in fact Great Britain (the largest island within the British Isles), the picture under the United Kingdom is actually Britain or the British Isles which includes the whole of Ireland (Eire). But yes the United Kingdom is a politic entity much like the United states and includes the countries England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Most British people get this wrong all the time as the above shows. Therefore I can`t understand why so many of them get annoyed that Americans (who have no real need to know this), also get it wrong sometimes.
0
Reply
Male 35
It`s only known as the Union Jack when flown from the jack mast on a ship. In all other times it`s known as the Union Flag.
0
Reply
Female 4
Hear hear Leigh-Ann!
0
Reply
Female 23
aw im glad they included northern ireland, we always get forgotten
0
Reply
Female 299
IT IS ONLY KNOWN AS THE UNION JACK WHEN IT IS BEING FLOWN AT SEA - love stephen fry.
0
Reply
Male 62
"Just for the record, Tim Berners-Lee invented the world wide web, and hyper text transfer protocol"

Actually without the Swiss at CERN, he would have ended up doing diddly squat. CERN, had by the early 50`s, already created networks. He just made everything simpler.
0
Reply
Male 411
Hey didn`t Great Britain lose the Revolutionary War? Reroll.
0
Reply
Male 2,748
huh... good to know... probably never going to use this knowledge, but good to know.
0
Reply
Male 6
Just for the record, Tim Berners-Lee invented the world wide web, and hyper text transfer protocol. Point to pont computer connections, that`s your yankee military. Anything that starts with an http, like, for example, this ^, that`s us. Cheers.

And, obhwfgirl, stop moaning about being smart. I`m happy for you that you knew this. Lots of people don`t. I was once asked if I could point to England on a map of London. Seriously. And, for the record, I care.
0
Reply
Female 582
Dear person who wrote this:

Very few people in your country know the basic geographical nuances of the USA. So, seriously, drink a pint, smoke a bowl, go get laid, and shut up. Honestly, it`s not a big deal and nobody cares.

-Someone who knew this and DOES NOT LIKE BEING CALLED A C*UNT
0
Reply
Male 1,351
Well, using the three interchangeably sounds a heck of a lot more sophisticated on your History final than only the "correct" one. Assuming, of course, that a) you don`t live anywhere in the UK and b) your history teacher doesn`t know jack (by far the easier of the two requirements).
0
Reply
Male 129
teh interwebs is serious business...
0
Reply
Male 12,365
[quote]Just to throw in my two cents (cause I like riling Angillion up)[/quote]

By spelling my name wrong? :)

[quote]The car may have been invented elsewhere, but it was perfected by Henry ford in the way of the assembly line, which is what spurred the automobile revolution. Long live the model T, in black.[/quote]

Henry Ford didn`t perfect the car. He applied the idea of the assembly line (a British invention, by the way - ha!) to making cars. Very good businessman, but that`s not what we`re pointlessly arguing about to pass some time.

[quote]If I remember correctly, England actually gets screwed in the representation of it all (being as how all the others have their own separate governments, while England is lumped in with the overall parliament), which is kind of funny imo.[/quote]

You remember correctly. It`s one of those political issues that everyone ignores because it causes too much arguing.
0
Reply
Male 12,365
[quote]@Liquidglass. Would you care to reconsider your statement that the internet was `American born`? You can google Tim berners-Lee, if you like. After all, he made it all possible.[/quote]

Unless you`re claiming he travelled in time and disguised himself, no.

The internet is at its base an American invention. The USA`s military research section came up with the foundations of the internet as a method of making connections between military bases as resistant as possible to destruction of individual bases and/or connections between bases. That was ~30 years before Tim Berners-Lee invented the foundations for the world wide web.

Some inventions actually are American. Most of the ones that are claimed to aren`t and the claims are just the usual USA nationalism and historical revisionism, but some inventions genuinely came from there and the internet is one of them.
0
Reply
Male 12,365
[quote]The very basic computer idea originated in Britian but was made in America. [/quote]

What are you claiming as the first computer? It`s not a silly question - if you look at the details it`s not as clear-cut as it might seem.

If by "very basic computer idea" you`re referring to Babbage`s analytical engine, then "basic" is hardly the right word. It was very complicated (part of the reason why it was never built).

There`s also the issue of almost all inventions resting on earlier inventions. For example, you cite the plane as an American invention. The first powered heavier than air machine was, but it obviously owed something to the unpowered gliders that were invented before it.

So it`s often quite blurry as to where inventions come from. Then there`s independent invention, which was fairly common, to muddy the waters some more.
0
Reply
Male 2,788
Oh, go eat a biscuit, you daft limey bastard.
0
Reply
Female 914
*whining* but I KNOW this already....!
0
Reply
Male 258
@meredithp. Touche. We`ll agree to call that a score draw if you like :p ARPANET is undoubtedly the grandfather of networked computing, but it took (for once) a Brit to see a more commercial (or at least widespread) potential for it.
But I am flattered you took the time to sign up to plant a foot firmly in my backside.
0
Reply
Male 976
Sounds like BRITAIN has an identity crisis! America FTW!
0
Reply
Female 87
Stylez12 when you said "What are all you euros using to post these comments? Is it a COMPUTER (you`re welcome). do you drive a CAR (you`re welcome). Does your house have electricity (you`re welcome) or light bulbs (you`re welcome). How`s that cell phone you use (you`re welcome)?

P.S. Soccer is gay, and get a toothbrush"

This is what I thought: You`re a twat.
0
Reply
Male 1,054
"Americans: We don`t expect . . ."

People who live in the America`s (Americans) include residents of:
Canada, U.S.A., Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, Columbia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, and Venezuela.

So, anything else to say,ya crumpet buggerin` floppers?
0
Reply
Male 602
Long winded me as always I know, but I forgot to answer Battmanners question. From the UAE would be called an "Emirati" in English, or in Arabic "Khaleeji" (literally: from the Persian Gulf).
0
Reply
Male 602
And I`m proud of all of my heritage, from the Scottish to the Irish to the Native American. (Which are the only three I have, all of which in more than a 15th. And really, my Irish is a group that came over from Scotland, as is the case with a lot of Celts.)

Nothing wrong with knowing what you came from and being happy about it, why do some of you have to be purists and elitists?

"Well I`m 9/10 Irish, so you don`t have a right to get drunk on St. Patrick`s day!"
0
Reply
Male 602
Just to throw in my two cents (cause I like riling Angillion up)

The car may have been invented elsewhere, but it was perfected by Henry ford in the way of the assembly line, which is what spurred the automobile revolution. Long live the model T, in black.

As for the rest, that`s why the Lockerbie bomber was released, a decision from Scotland`s government. If I remember correctly, England actually gets screwed in the representation of it all (being as how all the others have their own separate governments, while England is lumped in with the overall parliament), which is kind of funny imo. Also, why didn`t the ass who wrote this talk about the fact that the Queen is still the official head of state for Canada and Australia?
0
Reply
Female 137
@Pingas Let me guess, you are one of those retarded people who would talk to someone from the UK and go "OH MY GOD I`M IRISH TOO". And you probably have like 1/15th of the blood so far down the line.

Unless your parents are from a place, or even your grandparents, hell- I will even bite for both of your great grand parents- I am sorry to tell you- you are not Irish, Scottish, English, Russia, or anything of the sort. If you are 1/15th of this and that you loose the claim to call yourself whatever part of your mutt dna you think is the coolest.

0
Reply
Female 5
@number696969 I finally made an account, JUST to correct you.

If you`re going to correct people on their history, get it right. Tim Berners-Lee is credited with developing the World Wide Web. As a 30-39 year old, you should know that the Internet existed well before the WWW. Your statement "the internet is not American-born because TBL is British" (paraphrased) is fallacious.

Now, I agree that the Internet did not originate in America; groups across the world worked on it collaboratively. However, one of the driving forces was DARPA, a US-based program. Without DARPA, there would be no Internet.
0
Reply
Male 258
@Liquidglass. Would you care to reconsider your statement that the internet was `American born`? You can google Tim berners-Lee, if you like. After all, he made it all possible.
0
Reply
Male 8
Canada and America are the same thing Batmanners so your American
0
Reply
Male 1,116
Oh my god. Stop this "my country made it before your country" nonsense. I don`t drating care, and neither should you. There are few things i find more annoying in this world than patriotism and bragging about what your country has done, because its likely that you had nothing to do with anything that your country has done in the past, and you have no control over where you`re born. I`m not proud to be an American, nor am i ashamed, because i had nothing to do with any of my country`s actions, good or bad. I`m just there, and i really dont care.
0
Reply
Male 4,004
Canada`s inventions:
The vacuum of space.
Dirt.
Water.
Jump Ropes.
Air.
Accidentally invented rain after inventing fire.
We invented temperature; it was a constant 70 Farenheit before, we got sick of it and wanted to be cold half of a year....on that note.
We also invented the orbit and the planetary spin.
We wanted day and night...

there are a few more things, like cancer, but we don`t brag about it.
0
Reply
Male 4,004
And for the long dead discussion. I am Canadian, if someone calls me an American, he is getting yelled at.

You can call me "North American", or "USA`s Hat" as long as you don`t refer to me as being from the embarrassing shirt North America wears. America has Mexico for pants, but it`s all hip-hop, and not wearing boxers. HEY AMERICA, pull up your Mexico, your Florida is showing.
0
Reply
Male 4,004
"It`s funny that someone made this graphic, and in the process refers to people from the United States as "Americans," which is also not technically correct. Limey fail."

I am still of the opinion that you should come up with a real name, rather than a statement of what you are. You are a unity of states located in America, the "United States of America". It`s as ridiculous as Canada calling itself "The United Provinces of America". Get a real name, and we`ll decide what to call you after that.

I always hated the term Americans to describe USA`ans (Youessayans? Can they go over 9000?) but it is a word in their official country`s name, and thus, may be used to describe them as a nationality. The exact same applies for the United Arab Emirates, although what to call them evades me. (a little help from Baal?)
0
Reply
Male 1,111
People need to know what they`re talking about before they claim anything.

But all these people claiming inventions that started in other countries are proving is the fact that their creators were not persistent enough to make it reality.

Glad you`re lazy and proud of it.
0
Reply
Male 1,111
@Spartan448: do your research before you spout off with ignorance.

Josheph Swann invented and patented the first version of the lightbulb in the UK.

blah blah blah, Edison took original ideas and made it better.


- the telephone idea originated in scotland, but you were half right as it was finalized in canada

- superman origin is in the USA from one native born and one Canadian transplant.

need I go on about your idiocy?


@ Discomonkey


we`re welcome? for what? you didn`t exactly "give" it you lost it.
0
Reply
Male 1,111
@Angilion

-The very basic computer idea originated in Britian but was made in America.

-You wouldn`t be posting about anything with the computer without the internet, also American born.

-The car was credited to Germany with the first patent and most like its modern design

-Next time you go for a trip in an Airplane though you can thank us. Again.
(and no New Zealand did not develop the air plane, although they like to claim it. Strangely the stories of it`s invention in New Zealand didn`t emerge until after it was invented in America)
0
Reply
Male 258
@Stylez12

`@number69696.... I`m gonna tongue punch your moms fart box`

Whilst the imagery you conjour up in your eloquent rebuff will no doubt help you reach the vinegar stroke as you recline in the crusty grey sheets of your bed tonight, the point I was making was that the British have invented everything from the first electric light, to the vacuum cleaner, telephone, TV, jet engine and yes, indeed, toilet paper. So basically, you couldn`t even wipe your arse or clean up after a particularly energentic self-touching session without us. I thank you.
0
Reply
Male 12,365
[quote]UNofficially England would have been done for by 1942 without the massive, and expensive, help the US gave.[/quote]

Which was paid for.

You`re right about the necessity of the supplies, but it wasn`t a selfless gesture of altruism.

Besides, the people running the USA had a clue and a good idea of what was going on in the world. Better to fight the war elsewhere than wait until it came to the USA. Or until Hitler just nuked the USA. It`s not like he would have held back on moral grounds.

Incidentally, do you know how many people came from the USA to sign up in the British military before the USA joined the war? I know some did, but I haven`t been able to get any idea how many. Could have been 10, could have been 1000.

The key point, I think, is the word `ally`. We`d all have been screwed without each other. UK/USA/USSR especially, but also France (yes, they did carry on fighting), Canada, Australia and New Zealand, etc.
0
Reply
Male 12,365
[quote]So is England a country or is Britain a country or is UK a country?[/quote]

Strictly speaking, from those three only the UK is a country. That`s the official position.

In practice, Northern Ireland is generally considered seperately in day to day life and Britain is commonly considered a country. NI is seperated from Britain physically, socially, politically, legally...pretty much every way, really.

In many ways, England, Scotland and Wales are considered countries. For example, they each have national sports teams, i.e. they`re not considered sports teams of regions of Britain. I give my nationality as English, not British...but official forms never contain English as a nationality because officially only the UK is a country.

It`s a complex mash of history and politics.

It`s not surprising many people thousands of miles away in a largely inward-looking society don`t know the details.
0
Reply
Male 12,365
[quote]What are all you euros using to post these comments? Is it a COMPUTER (you`re welcome). do you drive a CAR (you`re welcome). Does your house have electricity (you`re welcome) or light bulbs (you`re welcome). How`s that cell phone you use (you`re welcome)?[/quote]

You`re wrong about all of those apart from the mobile phone. That one actually is an American invention.

You really don`t have much of a clue about history, do you?
0
Reply
Male 312
"If you weren`t born there, and you haven`t lived there, you aren`t Irish, you are American. Odds are you don`t even know a relative that was alive in your lifetime that was from there. Stop trying to seem interesting by attaching yourself to a place that for some reason you think changes how people perceive you."

Are you retarded? I really hope you are simply trolling, otherwise I hope for pain upon you.
0
Reply
Male 1
"If you weren`t born there, and you haven`t lived there, you aren`t Irish, you are American. Odds are you don`t even know a relative that was alive in your lifetime that was from there. Stop trying to seem interesting by attaching yourself to a place that for some reason you think changes how people perceive you."

Yeah, totally. And ta hell with those African-Americans and Latin-Americans, they just need to get off that damn pedestal already and turn their skin white so we all blend in and no one can tell us apart. HERP DERP.
0
Reply
Male 76
This would have been a very nice educational piece, too bad it was clearly put together by an obnoxious douche bag.
0
Reply
Female 137
I have seen both sides of this. Americans are very stupid about this. They also are irritating, because suddenly every single one of them is Irish/Scottish- Scotch Irish- when ever they talk to someone from the UK.

If you weren`t born there, and you haven`t lived there, you aren`t Irish, you are American. Odds are you don`t even know a relative that was alive in your lifetime that was from there. Stop trying to seem interesting by attaching yourself to a place that for some reason you think changes how people perceive you.
0
Reply
Male 894
no, inversegrav, i did not go to a "typical" school in america. you may call it the school of hard knocks, and i carry the scars to remind me that no one is going to hold your little hand and point out every little thing about the world, and that you LEARN from what you f**k up. i didnt learn jack $h!+ about england, n.ireland, whales or scotland. i could really care less about puerto rico or the district of freakin columbia. and frankly i think that just like anyone else in on any other continent, europeans can be f**king c*nts just like anyone else.
0
Reply
Male 12
Who is it that thought we needed an education?

Please pass along to them that Texans don`t cotton much to being called "Yanks." Still, they have a cute little kingdom, don`t they?
0
Reply
Male 770
sourkrauter,
its no more confusing than:
Kansas is a state.
With the flag of Kansas.
That also has the flag of the United States.
And has Porto Rico as a territory.
And the District of Columbia is a separate region all together.

of course you probably did go to a typical school in this country. So no wonder you are confused.
0
Reply
Female 452
A lesson "to" Americans?
0
Reply
Male 894
christ! this is more confusing than "circle is square". f**k geometric classifications of Europeans.
0
Reply
Male 3
Slavery, you`re welcome

@number69696.... I`m gonna tongue punch your moms fart box
0
Reply
Male 99
as annoying and condescending as this inforgraphic is its freaking needed for some people.

my ex was american who lived over here and knew the score when i visited her family trying to explain them that Wales was country and part of the UK and not just a bit of england was nearly enough to drive me to murder
0
Reply
Male 1,361
Hey America, that`s a nice country you`ve got there...

(You`re welcome)

Actually, I don`t consider myself British, Northern Irish, but I couldn`t pass on that point.
0
Reply
Male 571
It`s funny that someone made this graphic, and in the process refers to people from the United States as "Americans," which is also not technically correct. Limey fail.
0
Reply
Male 258
@spartan448. Nope. Humphrey Davy invented the electric lightbulb in the early 1800s.
0
Reply
Male 258
@stylez12. And when you`re sat in your house watching your TV, under your electric lightbulb whilst your girlfriend (or boyfriend possibly) is vacuuming the floor and you`re taking the penicillin to sort out that nasty STD you picked up last week, or flying troops via jet plane into another oil rich country to `liberate` them, or indeed wiping your arse then you might want to thank us.
0
Reply
Male 43
@stylez12, you actually believe yourself?

Lightbulbs were invented by 2 Canadians, Henry Woodward and Matthew Evans,they patented the light bulb in 1875. They didn`t have the funds to make the light bulbs, so they sold their idea to good ole Thomas Edison.

English Dr.William Gilbert studied electricity, and it was his work that coined the term electricity,long before Franklin did his kite experiment in 1752, Franklin did not discover electricity he just determined that lightning consisted of electricity.

You want to play "Inventions"? I`ll play.

Insulin (You`re Welcome)
Telephone (You`re Welcome)
Zipper (You`re Welcome)
Basketball (You`re Welcome)
Hockey (You`re Welcome)
Superman (You`re Welcome)
Instant Replay (You`re Welcome)
Wonderbras (You`re Welcome)
Pacemakers (You`re Welcome)

I`m not say we, or the "euros" are better, I`m making a point that the whole world contributes to the improv
0
Reply
Male 748
@Musuko42

Let`s not get ahead of ourselves now, we still haven`t tried silently fuming.

What`s even worse though is that many Brits don`t know the difference. :|
0
Reply
Male 43
This is true!

I mean not all Americas need this, but some are so ignorant, it`s really pathetic.

A few years ago, I used to run a call center for AT&T (for international directory service, and had to take an escalated call from a woman from NYC, because she insisted that she had to call someone in the country of "London".

After sorting her out, and informing her, that London is a city IN England, she told me she wanted to call and give them all her information, because she got an email saying she won the UK National Lottery...

So 30 minutes later, and trying to explain to her what a British pound was("I don`t know how I`m going to get that much weight back to here"), she realized she couldn`t have won a lottery she had never played, and that London is in fact not a country.

I hope she tells all her friends about this and spreads a little common sense, it would be nice :)
0
Reply
Male 3
What are all you euros using to post these comments? Is it a COMPUTER (you`re welcome). do you drive a CAR (you`re welcome). Does your house have electricity (you`re welcome) or light bulbs (you`re welcome). How`s that cell phone you use (you`re welcome)?

P.S. Soccer is gay, and get a toothbrush
0
Reply
Male 496
I think using "American" to refer to people from the USA is simply shorthand, not something to diminish Canada or Mexico. Otherwise we`d have to go around calling ourselves what, "Citizen of the United States of America"? "USAan"?
0
Reply
Female 137
My boyfriend is Scottish and my best friend is a Jordie,and Americans constantly say "I love your accent, are you British?"

...
...

So irritating.
0
Reply
Male 586
technically we`re not Americans either, we are people of the United States of America
0
Reply
Female 87
Scotland and england are very diffrent places I wish people would stop grouping us in together.
0
Reply
Female 193
Geez. Touchy, touchy. It doesn`t really matter these days. -.-
0
Reply
Male 881
Of all the things that fly, how the the fly get the name? Of all the people of the Americas, how did Americans get the name?

Language is F`d up sometimes. Some of the arguments here are the equivalent of seeing a bird and calling it a fly and then trying to defend the position. Americans are from the United States of America. For those of you that missed it, "America" is right there in the name. "Americans" is the commonly understood term of the people of the United States and it is a term used by the government of the United States. Yes, technically "Americans" could refer to any person from the Americas, but just about everyone knows that using it in that way would cause confusion and would word it differently. This may come as a shock to some people in this thread, but many words in the English language have multiple meanings that can be confusing if your not careful.
0
Reply
Male 68
"The same logic here applies to The United States of America, which lies upon the North American Continent, thus the Term "American" can broadly refer to anyone from the Americas including Canada, Mexico and most everyone on the southern continent as well. Technically a Mexican is as American as a Citizen of the United States of America and a Canadian is also an American, so calling a United States Citizen and American is the same as referring to an Englishman as a European."

Not really, `cause if you say `American`, people know that means somone from the USA. Nobody says someone`s `American` if they want to to say they`re from somewhere in the two continents worth of countries that is the Americas. You can say `technically a Mexican is an American`, but nobody would say that now would they. Same goes for Canada. You could say North American if you wanted to make that point. However Americans do often refer to Britain, for example, as Europe.
0
Reply
Female 269
I`m ashamed to say I did not know this. Do now!
0
Reply
Male 881
I find it funny that people use the word "stupid" when they mean "ignorant". That makes them either ignorant or stupid.
0
Reply
Female 19
"I am sure that US citizens cause irritation in the same way when they refer to themselves as `Americans` as if Mexico and Canada do not exist. "

Totally not the same! Canadians do not care at all if Americans call themselves Americans. We prefer not to be associated with them.

In fact, I think we would like it better if we weren`t even considered part of North America. Just Canada is fine :)

Can`t speak for the Mexicans though.
0
Reply
Male 1
What you call `Britain` is a geographical term for the landmass of `Great Britain`. `Great` distinguishes it from `Less Britain`, a peninsula that is now part of France. The other landmass shown is called Eire.

Countries are a political concept for areas of common law ruled by a common authority.

The UK is a nation of 3 countries that happen to cover the whole of Great Britain and some of Eire.

English is the dominant language and the location of government, although the other countries do have their own parliaments and laws. Hence the irritating habit of the English to use `English` and `British` to mean the same thing. But I don`t think that anybody is as offended when Americans do this.

I am sure that US citizens cause irritation in the same way when they refer to themselves as `Americans` as if Mexico and Canada do not exist.
0
Reply
Female 2,026
its not hard lol
0
Reply
Male 383
Batmanners: You completely missed the point. He was complaining that the term British accent, to some, is inaccurate, english accents, welsh accents, scottish accents etc. are preferable to many in the UK.
0
Reply
Male 2,220
Just warming myself by the fire here...
0
Reply
Male 1,067
I hate being referred to as European.
0
Reply
Male 213
Well for Kissinger it did.
0
Reply
Male 4,867
"Dom: People say we lost in Vietnam, but we won. Go back and look at the history. A truce was declared, we left, North Vietnam invaded South Vietnam a month later. We did what we were there to do and left. It`s not our fault South Vietnam couldn`t defend itself afterwards."

Nixon and Kissinger`s `Decent Interval` idea obviously worked...
0
Reply
Male 213
Oh and btw, im only rating this a 4 due to the sheer volume of troll
0
Reply
Female 635
On the accent debate... there is no cover-all British accent, but I still use the term. It`s just easy to include all of them in one phrase. I can tell when the person is Welsh, Scottish, Northern, if they`re from London, Manchester, etc. I just don`t diffirentiate when I`m talking with people who don`t know the difference.
0
Reply
Male 213
who knows how many vietnames...

anyway...stop calling us yanks and well get the name of your island right.
0
Reply
Male 213
ElDavo has a point. After the restricted bombing was lifted, NV came to the table after only 12 days.

It wasnt lack of firepower or how well the VC knew the land. It was straight up politics that cost 35k lives. Many times the airforce wasnt allowed to unload any payload on a village because there was a possibility of civilians in the area. After troops cleared the village, turns out that no civies had been there in months. A few tons of explosives could have cost that battle half of the human cost...maybe more. And most definitely more lives in the long run by ending the war much sooner.

So, whos fault was it really that the war went for a dozen years? The spineless politicians that didnt want to look bad infront of the public, or the very vocal anti war groups that the politicians didnt want to lose face infront of? Is it possible if the hippies hadnt made a fuss that the "leaders" would have started unrestriced bombing much sooner and saved 35k lives and
0
Reply
Male 4,004
Now to ask a simple question.

And when you say "Great Britain" do you mean "United Kingdom" or "Britain"?
0
Reply
Male 4,004
To embolden my point. It`s ridiculous for you to say you don`t have an accent, since even within Britain, there are "accents".

I`m pretty sure I have heard of "London accent", "Cornwall accent", "Edinburgh accent". I watch a lot of British television, Black Adder, Top Gear, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python; and movies like Shawn of the Dead and Doomsday; and I have certainly noticed different accents from different British/English people.

So don`t gimme no back-talk.
0
Reply
Male 4,004
"And if anybody ever uses the phrase "British Accent", I get extremely angry. THERE`S NO SUCH THING!!"

Wrong.

No matter who you are, where you`re from and what language you speak, you have an accent. The accent is not a derogatory term meaning you"re not speaking your language right. It is simply used to specify which version of the language you are using.

Brits have a "British accent", Americans have an "American accent". Hell, anyone who speaks another language with English as a second language has an accent, regardless of where they learned the language. Because you learned English in Britain doesn`t mean you have their accent.

So don`t think that because you are from the nation whence your language originates, you don`t have an accent. You have an accent, it`s a British accent, and it`s not a bad thing.
0
Reply
Male 2,148
Dom: People say we lost in Vietnam, but we won. Go back and look at the history. A truce was declared, we left, North Vietnam invaded South Vietnam a month later. We did what we were there to do and left. It`s not our fault South Vietnam couldn`t defend itself afterwards.
0
Reply
Male 2,850
@BostonKaiser

More correction for you: "tool" is a pretty American insult, at least to my ears. It doesn`t really crop up here, in my personal experience.

Try "prat". Prat`s a good one.

Also, my own personal taste wouldn`t preface "pillock" at all. It has more punch with brevity. You pillock!
0
Reply
Male 193
r3tr0r0ck3r - so what, there`s "English Accent"? That`s just stupid. Are you going to say there`s no such thing as "British English" too?
0
Reply
Female 80
If you say there`s no such thing as a british accent, that also means that there`s not really such thing as an american accent. Maybe the range isn`t quite as varied, but it`s close.

(and I AM British. And English.)
0
Reply
Male 4,867
"They just don`t like admiting that they need us."

Since the early 20th century, America (USA) has established itself as the major miliary power in the world, they have never been beaten...apart from that one time...in Vietnam, which coincidentally was the only major US conflict that didn`t have British support. Looks like you need us too ;) just sayin`
0
Reply
Female 430
They need the same explanation about Iraq , Iran and Afganstan
0
Reply
Male 187
I may technically be British but I don`t like being referred to as such; I`m English.

And if anybody ever uses the phrase "British Accent", I get extremely angry. THERE`S NO SUCH THING!!
0
Reply
Male 265
Calm yourselves, my fellow Americans. Let them bluster all they want. They disparage us, ridicule us, act all superior to us. But when the poo hits the fan, we`ll be there standing beside them against their enemies.

They just don`t like admiting that they need us.
0
Reply
Male 187
I may technically be British but I don`t like being referred to as such; I`m English.

And if anybody ever uses the phrase "British Accent", I get extremely angry. THERE`S NO SUCH THING!!
0
Reply
Male 17
The second picture is not Britain. Great Britain as it should be called is only the main island all the little outlying islands do not count. The isle of wight, skye, tresco and all the other little places are not part of Great Britain. Great Britain is just the island. However they are all part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island which is what the third picture should be called.
0
Reply
Male 24
I`ll do my best dear Tommy.
0
Reply
Male 413
`@Ruffiana. Britain is a forward staging post for the American invasion of Europe (due in 2013).`

It`ll probably happen sometime around 2016 then, you know the Yanks like to be late for wars
0
Reply
Male 258
Primie. What a knob. Take one of those i`s out.
0
Reply
Male 258
@Ruffiana. Britain is a forward staging post for the American invasion of Europe (due in 2013). We look after your bombs and other assorted munitions. Ronald Reagan did bad things to our lady Primie Minister here in the 80s.
0
Reply
Male 4,867
@BostonKaiser
Pillock*
just helping you out man ;)
0
Reply
Male 258
@BostonKaiser. It`s pillock, not pillick. And you`d probably want to preface that with stupid or inbred rather than dirty. Correction OK for you?
0
Reply
Male 123
I knew that. AND I`m American. Uh oh, paradox! Cause we`s know all Americans is dumb, just look at how many Nobel Prizes we has in the sciences!
0
Reply
Male 1,218
What a pompous tool. Bugger off, you dirty pillick! Looking forward to another post correcting my use of British/English/United Kingdomian slang. :-p
0
Reply
Male 80
Who cares?
They`re just a bunch of Limeys
0
Reply
Male 53
I`ll admit, I never did know that.
0
Reply
Male 1,111
Agreed handys. To the idiots everyone from the USA is a "yank" even though that only refers to a small sector.

But people like the one who created this love to feel superior but is too much of a wimp to admit it. Normally they take such a passive approach and then get very offended if you call them a chav (even in context). Even if the creator is a dumbass I give him credit for having the balls to do it directly.
0
Reply
Female 1,095
K I knew all together they made up the UK but I honestly thought britain and england where the same. my bad, that area of my world geography map was always neglected. I learned something today!
A ton of stuff makes a LOT more sense now. I feel totally enlightened.
0
Reply
Male 506
What the drat is Britain?
0
Reply
Male 2,402
BTW we don`t use sea shells to trade for currency.
0
Reply
Male 2,402
Stop calling Hawaiians as Yankees. Hawaii is not the North East. We are not rednecks either that is the South. We use both the Union jack and The American flag. It does not mean we are part of Great Britain either. We are not the same people that do the fast hip shaking coconut grass skirt wearing hula people either. That sh*t is Tahitian and they under the French which is in Europe. Get it right will you dumb Brit!
0
Reply
Male 113
A good friend of mine is English. Someone asked her "What language do they speak there?"

-_-
0
Reply
Male 91
The Yankees are a baseball team. Stop screwing that up.
0
Reply
Male 2,893
Now I understand.
0
Reply
Female 117
I`ve always wondered...
0
Reply
Female 15
@MandyLea: No,The republic of Ireland isn`t a part of the UK,not since a long time anyway but yeah N.I is it`s own country I suppose,though it`s run mostly by England,it doesn`t have the same laws as Britain though.
It`s all kinda confusing,usually we just refer to it as the north,we don`t really see it as another country,just as a part of Ireland that is owned/run by England.
Hope this clears things up a bit. :)
0
Reply
Male 66
ok thank you for making this clear...
0
Reply
Male 220
The UK is a messed up political entity. It`s basically the last remnant of an actual empire which had a head-of-state/owner called the King (or Queen).

The STATE is the United Kingdom, so when we talk about the Prime Minister and going to war, it`s the UNITED KINGDOM that does that.

England, Wales, Scotland and to a lesser extant, N. Ireland were independent countries with greater or lesser self-government. Over the last 500 years that got washed away, but it`s slowly coming back (in a process of governmental devolution)
0
Reply
Male 8,300
> mar95789
> So is England a country or is Britain a country or is UK a country?

England is a country. Wales is another country. Scotland is another country. Northern Ireland is another country. Etc.
0
Reply
Male 8,300
In his massive autobiography (12 volumes of about 1200 pages each!) Winston Churchill says, in the introduction, "Valiant though our people were, without the assistance of the US from the War`s inception, our lonely island would have been subjugated within a year at most".
0
Reply
Female 193
So is England a country or is Britain a country or is UK a country?
0
Reply
Male 8,300
> krisley
> I`ll admit to the fact that the Americans only joined when it was absolutely necessary

Then you don`t know your history, nor do the people making similar claims. Although the US couldn`t send actual troops because of the public disapproval of any such scheme, the US was sending equipment and foodstuffs since almost the beginning of the war - losing thousands of its own ships in the process. In addition, US citizens could - and did - travel to England privately (but with secret assistance from the US Govt) and form RAAF units, navy crews and on-the-ground troops. Although OFFICIALLY the US could do nothing to help until its people woke up (after Pearl Harbor), UNofficially England would have been done for by 1942 without the massive, and expensive, help the US gave.
0
Reply
Female 247
wait a minute...are you telling me that Northern Ireland is it`s own country or part of Ireland? and Ireland is part of the UK? My grandparents were from N.Ireland and I always thought that they were just saying that they were from the Northern part of Ireland. I`m so confused.
0
Reply
Male 526
I`ll admit to the fact that the Americans only joined when it was absolutely necessary. I`m going to point out, however, that England and France did the same thing. Everytime Hitler took over another country, he promised that he was done, and the whole world bought it. England and France didn`t declare war until it was almost their turn to be taken.
0
Reply
Female 25
***I`m taking a victory lap in honor of the ol` American Revolution.***
0
Reply
Female 330
Scottish Pride :)
0
Reply
Male 85
monkeypile : i hope you see this because i do not know how to reply to you or send you a message. so, the the US alone is responsible for fighting fascism and communism thorough out the world, for the world? before that time the us practiced isolationism, cut to 70, 80 years later of working on an empire....now we are falling apart. i see you are from Australia. thanks for getting the rest of the world to help and being so dependent on the us you turn it on itself.
0
Reply
Female 351
I have a friend who is from england. he explained all of this to me long ago. since then i`ve spread the word ^_^
0
Reply
Male 3
It`s difficult to understand why all the Americans on here don`t accept that they call themselves American and those from the UK do call themselves European, just not all of Europe is British. People from outside the US actually know something about other countries.

Also, as far as the war talk goes, the US didn`t get involved in the wars until it was nearly over both times and they just let the Nazis get on with genocide and invading other countries until the Japanese actually did something to the US. War would`ve been over a lot quicker if the US had done something earlier when they should have.
0
Reply
Male 285
man, wtf is an england anyway.
0
Reply
Male 85
hahaha. i actually thought this was understood in the US. for we have states that make up sections of the country (southwest, northeast midwest etc) then the country as a hole, which is very similar. but i guess not. sorry we raise idiots Great Britain. we also sell doritos @ walmart "for your health".(6 posts up from this one)
0
Reply
Male 1,287
@domisgood the history joke reminded me of Eddie Izzard`s joke, "I grew up in Europe, where the history comes from."
0
Reply
Female 1,244
I actually learned something on here..wow
0
Reply
Female 1,893
oooooooooooooooooh i get it.
0
Reply
Female 231
I agree with this. American`s are ignorant, lazy, racist, non-nice individuals and I am ashamed to be living in California right now. That is all I am willing to say.
0
Reply
Male 1,287
[quote] the reason this is so `damn confoozin`!!!" is because of a thing called history, no need to be jealous American, you`ll get your own eventually ;) [/quote]

ahahahahahahahahaha
0
Reply
Male 8,300
> Jackson13W
> i wasn`t sure how this worked before, and now i do. awesome

Dammit, IAB accidentally TAUGHT someone something! Where are we going with this trend, guys!?

(PS: Jackson, why is your avatar bigger on the inside than the outside????)
0
Reply
Male 4,867
"All of you in Europe are all in the European union so its all same to a yank."

...no...just no
0
Reply
Male 230
All of you in Europe are all in the European union so its all same to a yank.
0
Reply
Female 448
When I think of "European" I think of France, Germany, and Italy. The UK never crosses my mind.
0
Reply
Female 285
OH.

I was so confused when I saw the white-on-red cross flag during the World Cup. Don`t blame me, blame public education.
0
Reply
Female 24
@V4nger: well on the bright side, when people get more exposure to other people from different places they will realize everyone is different. and i think that the world is moving towards that :)
for example here on the computer we can talk with people from so many places and make friends with them. it is getting easier to realize there are good and bad everywhere :)
0
Reply
Male 155
i wasn`t sure how this worked before, and now i do. awesome.
0
Reply
Male 49
@OrangeSun

It just makes my blood boil that some people feel they are superior in every way when in fact we are totally different
0
Reply
Female 24
@ V4nger: i think some people from the US or the UK might have hatred towards people from the other place for the same reason all other kinds of hate like rascism start, ignorance.
for example i live in canada and i`ve never had a class mate from US or UK so maybe if i was dumb, i would stereotype them b/c i dont have any American/British friends to show me that we are all the same.
usally the Americans stay in the US and the British stay in the UK (because the stadard of living there is good)
so basically what im trying to say is that a hatred to a group of people can only come from being stupid enough to not realize that everyone is different
0
Reply
Male 12
Also, the shetland islands are missing



Im just saying is all
0
Reply
Male 425
Favorite thing about IAB Comments?
1/18 comments is actually about the post.
14/18 comments is a troll of sorts
3/18 is an admin stepping in throwing their weight around. god bless you, internet. god bless all of us.
0
Reply
Male 4,867
oh and one more thing,
the reason this is so `damn confoozin`!!!" is because of a thing called history, no need to be jealous American, you`ll get your own eventually ;)
0
Reply
Male 3,431
V4nger, I can assure you the vast majority of Americans have zero issues with the English, or with Brits or for that matter with anyone from the United Kingdom. Our cultures draw from a common spring. It`s very important that you not draw any conclusions from what you read on the Internet.

The same logic here applies to The United States of America, which lies upon the North American Continent, thus the Term "American" can broadly refer to anyone from the Americas including Canada, Mexico and most everyone on the southern continent as well. Technically a Mexican is as American as a Citizen of the United States of America and a Canadian is also an American, so calling a United States Citizen and American is the same as referring to an Englishman as a European.
0
Reply
Male 4,867
"@V4nger its because we bailed them out of both WWI and WWII and all they can say in return is how much the world hates us. Last time I checked the British raped one third of the world. And I say raped because there were accounts of british raping locals. India and Africa are two great examples of british imperialistic ambitions that failed miserably. I should also mention Australia,Canada,and America. Our 3 nations are united in our utmost hatred for Britain."

WW2, i`ll give you that, you did help us big time in that one, WW1 was won almost solely by the British, ask any half decent historian.
There is no way anyone can say that Britain failed in India, the Raj held the whole Empire together and now India is on its way to becoming one of the major powers in the world - because of British colonialism, and `Africa` is kinda vague, most European nations had territories in Africa. There are also accounts of Americans raping slaves - whats your point there?
0
Reply
Male 384
ok, this i knew, i just dont care.

hows that? i just dont care.

whats that you say? ahhh, but wait, i just dont care.

as long as europeans think that all americans are like G.W., and as long as they espouse that view here, i dont care.

+, as angilion pointed out, your government confuses me.







oh, and really? some of my fellow americans dont know this? [facepalm]
0
Reply
Male 12
@Lionhart2

Exactly man, where are all the pissed off manx people... wait till those bastards get here..
0
Reply
Male 8,300
Whomever made this post missed `Isle of Man` and `Channel Islands`, both of which are separate entities too. So even the Experts get confused I guess. Here`s MY easy-to-remember guide:

1. This is an overcrowded craphole.
2. This is more overcrowded craphole with people who talk funny.
3. This is more overcrowded craphole with MORE people who talk funny, but these ones IED you if you laugh at them.

Here`s a handy graphic which EXPLAINS it all in easy to understand Venns!

0
Reply
Male 383
DarthTyranus: Please, read a history book. the US got involved in WW1 in 1917. Furthermore, try to gain some IR, Political, Historical, and maybe even Economic insight. Nobody here is arguing about the UK`s colonial past, however claims that the US `saved the world` as some sort of knight in shining armour during WW1 and WW2 are ludicrous. I`m not downplaying the efforts of the US, but they were called world wars for a reason.
0
Reply
Male 50
Also Americans hate the british even more after they dumped there oil on our beaches. For dumbass brits BP=British Petroleum.
0
Reply
Male 50
@V4nger its because we bailed them out of both WWI and WWII and all they can say in return is how much the world hates us. Last time I checked the British raped one third of the world. And I say raped because there were accounts of british raping locals. India and Africa are two great examples of british imperialistic ambitions that failed miserably. I should also mention Australia,Canada,and America. Our 3 nations are united in our utmost hatred for Britain.
0
Reply
Male 45
Wow, I think they should teach this us in drating school.
0
Reply
Male 49
Still more hate from the Americans towards the UK... and from the UK to the Americans :(

Can someone please tell me why some Americans think British people are such nobs and vice versa? There is nothing to hate about so why can`t we all just get along? You only have to go on Youtube to find a good flame war. I think it is because one dumbass from either USA or the UK taints the view of everyone from there and eventually the whole country. To be honest I think everyone who posts here saying Britain is a S***hole that no one cares about or America is the most retarded country in the world should just go jump off a cliff. Who gives a ****?!
0
Reply
Male 12,365
[quote]Skadi why is he a dumbass? For stating a fact?[/quote]

Why don`t you attempt to learn something about history? Then you`ll realise why (a) that "fact" isn`t and (b) he`s a dumbass.
0
Reply
Male 383
Agreed, I`ve never heard anybody refer to the US as `the americas`
0
Reply
Male 12,365
[quote]And besides. Brits always confuse "the Americas" with the United States. The US is America. While "the Americas" refer to North and South America. Get it straight you whiney brits.[/quote]

You`ve just made that up. Simple as that.
0
Reply
Male 12,365
Crown Dependencies is where it gets properly confusing. The Isle of Mann is the best known example.

The partial dissolution of the union is also confusing. Wales has an assembly, Scotland has a parliament, England has neither. Northern Ireland is different again. MPs from other parts of the union aren`t allowed any say in Scottish affairs, but Scottish MPs has as much say in the affairs of the other parts of the union as the MPs from those parts. There`s a written constitution, but only in England. It`s in several parts and nobody knows whether or not it`s meant to apply to anything because it`s also illegal to restrict the autonomy of parliament (which a constitution has to do).

But the hodgepodge mess of 1000 years of rewrites, conquest, unification and partial dissolution of the union seems to work well enough.
0
Reply
Male 759
Like when did America come into the war?
Oh yeah,when all your little ships got bombed.
Where was it? Pearly somewhere. A while after us Brits and our brave allies from what is now modern Europe had been kicking Nazi asses.
Seriously though, America needs to wake up and stop being so up its own ass. There are other countries in the world, most of which formed yours. So f*ck America. You fat bastards.
You`re all going to die.
0
Reply
Male 383
Stylez12: Just going to ignore the part the British, Russian, Canadian, French, Polish and many more were playing?
0
Reply
Male 50
@Skadi why is he a dumbass? For stating a fact?
0
Reply
Male 50
@stylez12 Your my hero! And brits think scotland is part of britain. Yet the scottish think there their own country.Make up your god damn minds!

And besides. Brits always confuse "the Americas" with the United States. The US is America. While "the Americas" refer to North and South America. Get it straight you whiney brits.
0
Reply
Male 1,265
@LandoGriffin: They don`t ever actually say America to mean USA and you guys use the word Americans to refer to yourself anyway...
0
Reply
Female 82
stylez12 you are a typical american dumbass.
0
Reply
Male 215
These islands are known as the British Isles, not to be confused with Great Britain, which is just the largest island, not to be confused with England, which is a country in Great Britain, not to be confused with United Kingdom, which is made up of England, Whales, Scottland, and Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland, by the way, is on an island called Ireland, but "Ireland" more comonly refers to the Republic of Ireland, which is a another country on the island of Ireland. Speaking of countries, the United Kingdom is a country, but it is made up of England, Whales, Scottland, and Northern Ireland, which are also countries.

Yep, nothing here to be confused about. =P
0
Reply
Male 213
I`ll try to remember that when I`m high off my ass, having a grand old time right here in the USA.
0
Reply
Male 19
stylez12 that is so true. Best replay ever
0
Reply
Male 3

0
Reply
Female 100
I wonder how many Brits can name all 50 states. I wonder how many know that New York is entire state and not a city. "I`m from New York." "Oh, what`s it like living in the city?" "Um..."
0
Reply
Male 19
This post is just as useless as that whole country
0
Reply
Female 163
I never knew this was an issue with Americans. I guess I do live in a country full of idiots. Oh well, I`ll move.
0
Reply
Male 10,855
British...

...Got it!
0
Reply
Male 68
- "Yeah, sort of ironic how they refer to people of the United States of America as "Americans" without considering that America is two complete continents with many many countries within them."

I`m sorry to be posting so much here, but I just had to say - Americans refer to `the people of the United States of America` as `Americans`. The USA is known as America, no other country is, and so you know which country`s being referred to by using that name. The two continents are usually called `the Americas`. It`s not ironic because it`s not the same issue at all.
0
Reply
Male 68
- "no matter how bad those limey bastages want to seperate themselves from being called European they still are part of EUROPE and are STILL EUROPEAN just like someone from any of the three countries in North America are NORTH AMERICAN.
so, Brits, English and whoever they hell else you might have over there...kindly blow me and by extension every other North American that could give a crap less about your inferiority complex and deep seeded need to express it by trying to insult us."

Ok... Europe is a huge continent containing many, many countries. It`s even more dumb to describe someone from a European country as `European` than it is to describe someone from a North American country as `North American`, besides which, whoever says that? Anyone would say, from Mexico, USA or Canada. There`s a difference between these countires, and there are differences between the other countries of the world too which are worth distinguishing. If you are unable to, then it sma
0
Reply
Male 3,842
Yeah, sort of ironic how they refer to people of the United States of America as "Americans" without considering that America is two complete continents with many many countries within them.
0
Reply
Male 667
I refuse to remember this. You brits can go suck on a crumpet.
0
Reply
Female 4
People are complaining, i`m actually glad someone posted this, I now know the difference. :D
0
Reply
Male 25,416
wow, iab education!
0
Reply
Male 17,511

The Scottish flag adds the blue with the white X.


The Welsh have a flag of their own as well, Although it adds no shape to the British flag (Yeah, It sucks for the Welsh)
0
Reply
Male 325
Hmmmmm. So, Americans, of both the American continents are dull to this idea? Or are you aiming this just at people of the United States of America?
0
Reply
Male 593
I knew that the Yanks usually call us British and always thought it weird... now at least the IAB Yanks know the difference :)
0
Reply
Male 2,344
no matter how bad those limey bastages want to seperate themselves from being called European they still are part of EUROPE and are STILL EUROPEAN just like someone from any of the three countries in North America are NORTH AMERICAN.

so, Brits, English and whoever they hell else you might have over there...kindly blow me and by extension every other North American that could give a crap less about your inferiority complex and deep seeded need to express it by trying to insult us.
0
Reply
Female 1,148
I learned something!
0
Reply
Male 530
Same goes for Holland and the Netherlands and i guess for lots of other countries.
0
Reply
Male 7
Ahh, I long for the days before the internets when England did`t exist yet.
Thanks for the Led Zepplins, the Monty Pythons and the Marshall guitar amps, now STFU. Go polish the queens tush, or whatever it is you groom of the stools do.
0
Reply
Male 1,184
Woah... Never mind, Canada doesn`t have a conventional long form. That`s abnormal, though.

I guess Democratic Kingdom of Canada sounds a little weird... that`s likely what it would be if it existed. Probably better to stick to a short form.
0
Reply
Male 1,184
korahn, America isn`t actually an official name for the United States. Official names have a long form and a short form. The long form is United States of America and the short form is United States.
0
Reply
Male 68
ecpkngt -

Maybe I`d say `the Americas`, to mean North, Central and South America together. If I was referring to somewhere within the US I might say `in America`, `cause that`s true, North America is known as `America`.
So you`ve heard people refer to anywhere in the northern hemisphere as `America`? I can only imagine they don`t understand what the word hemisphere really means.
0
Reply
Male 1,184
ecp, you are really bad at reading.

No one calls Mexico "America." No one calls Canada "America." No one calls any individual country in Central America or Southern America "America." Most people don`t even realize that any of those countries are IN America.

Many people do, however, call England "Europe."
0
Reply
Male 1,439
"stop asking us to choose a name for our country."

Let`s see: United States of America, United States, and America - perhaps it is the Americans who need to make a decision.

~Much love from Canada.
0
Reply
Male 1,287
@ecpkngt I would have thought that Northern Ireland being a different color than the Republic of Ireland and actually having a label sufficient to determine the entire island wasn`t included.
0
Reply
Male 2,850
@fknloser

"how about you damn ENGLISH get out of other peoples` countries and let them have it since its not 1485 anymore and we humans have grown to be more educated and considerate of one`s heritage."

Excellent idea, and I`m sure you`ll be doing the same to avoid being a hipocrite. Shall I inform the Native Americans that the United States shall be packing up and leaving the American continent?
0
Reply
Male 1,399
johnnyab - I`m responding in kind to the infographic. If you agree with the tone of the text upon it, then I am absolutely condescending to you.
0
Reply
Male 496
Ah, so it`s the English who are limey c*nts, not Britons. Thanks for clearing that one up.
0
Reply
Male 383
A few points:

Using the term Yank may be derogatory, but it has been used as a term for all people from the US since the 1770`s, it`s use does not need to limited to people from the North or North East.

Americans is the correct term for people from the US in the English language, it is the accepted term by all relevant linguistic authorities. Arguing about that is simply nonsense, as it will get you nowhere. The accepted term for a Canadian is Canadian, for a person from the US is American. Deal with it.

Saying `Europeans` as a `catch-all` phrase is, unless you refer to EU policy or such, not per se offensive, but ignorant, it shows chiefly a lack of cultural understanding.

It`s been mentioned several times but people can`t seem to grasp that the UK is not a country, it is a sovereign state. A sovereign/nation state is not always the same as a country.

Comparing states in the US is to countries in Europe is not valid for cultural and histori
0
Reply
Female 12
I can actually name the 4 parts/countries/whatthehellever of The United Kingdom. Happy day for you that you can name all of the states and that other people outside the U.S. can name them too. When I`ve been in other parts of Europe I`m lucky if someone has even heard of my home state, Wisconsin. I usually have to say I`m from near Chicago if that even registers, and I am NOT from Chicago. Basically I end up being from somewhere in between California and New York. My point was that people in different countries aren`t always aware of what is going on in your country. Maybe this is ignorance, maybe it`s willful indifference, maybe it`s xenophobia. Who knows? Who cares? There are more important things in this world than pointing out how much other people don`t know about you or your country. Move on.
0
Reply
Female 245
knew it already. kinda tired of people hating on the entire united states as a whole for things many people here know. and i know, thats the way it works with a lot of things, but i just thought i needed to state what i felt about it
0
Reply
Male 1,547
@domisgood

by that logic, the Franks invaded and killed all the innocent Gauls, the Anglo-Saxons invaded and killed the innocent Britons, The Huns invaded and killed all the Pannons. What makes the European conquest of the Native Americans any less valid than England, France, or Hungary.
0
Reply
Female 149
Re: "Anyway, not all Americans are ignorant, I know, but still there are plenty who refer to anywhere within Europe as `Europe` - you gotta admit that`s pretty poor form, right?"

So... you don`t use "America" to refer to anywhere within America?

Cause I hear an awful lot of Europeans refer to anyplace in the entire darn hemisphere, nevermind continents, as "America".
0
Reply
Male 360
Well I thought it was helpful at least, I used to call the whole thing britan.
0
Reply
Female 149
Interesting that Ireland`s form is included under "This is the United Kingdom". Almost as if it was made by an ignorant American who doesn`t realize the Ireland and Northern Ireland are not the same country.

It`s not hard to understand. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but it`s just a small piece of the island, and an entirely different nation from Ireland. Sure, it`s physically attached, but that doesn`t make it part of the same country, just like being attached to England doesn`t make Wales part of England.

So if you`re going to use cutouts to show England as separate from Scotland and Wales, use some consistency and stop lumping in Ireland when presenting an image of the United Kingdom.
0
Reply
Female 40
@megavidiot: LMFAO aww yeah :D
0
Reply
Male 265
Maybe we`ll care when your country becomes relavent again. :P
0
Reply
Male 68
Baelzar - you sum up how condescending the general American attitude is. You think anything but America is an insignificant land mass. One of your country`s candidates for vice president(!) thought that Africa was a country for god`s sake. Anyway, not all Americans are ignorant, I know, but still there are plenty who refer to anywhere within Europe as `Europe` - you gotta admit that`s pretty poor form, right?
0
Reply
Male 2,004
i already knew this, guess i wasn`t sleeping during class after all
0
Reply
Male 29
...But fortunately, nobody gives a poo what you`re called.
0
Reply
Male 900
This still doesn`t explain your warm beer, the reason we left your asses on the side of the road a long time ago.

Love,
Canada
0
Reply
Female 75
fknloser- I think you`ll find that the majority of the people in Northern Ireland are very happy to be part of the UK and would rather not be united with the Republic Of Ireland.
I-IS-BORED- I`m from Northern Ireland and I agree with it.
0
Reply
Female 833
admisaok: THE UNITED KINGDOM.
0
Reply
Male 341
@ baelzar
good point but at least not as many of our soldiers have died in iraq
0
Reply
Male 2,034
Ohh, I get it. The British flag (middle) is like a cross between the English flag and Scottish flag. Wales can suck it.
0
Reply
Male 142
Keep fighting you two pussies...Guess who will laugh when the monkey eats the whole cake?
0
Reply
Male 2,419
oh i bet if you asked somebody from Scotland or Northern Ireland they would disagree with this map
0
Reply
Male 36
@Buck176 i see your point, its just all stereotypes getting out of hand. im from england and tbh i wish there was no UK or Britain, just england, the scottish/welsh just moan about how they want their independency, but lets see them come crawling back, begging for our money within 5 yearsl.
0
Reply
Male 1,399
Look, you limey tea slurpers, don`t be wagging your bony finger at me for not being able to keep your mostly-insignificant land masses straight.

When you start realizing that the USA is not some monolithic hive mind, maybe...MAYBE I`ll start giving a crap about your broken empire.

Lastly, we tied you in the World Cup, and made it as far as you did. So make all the helpful little infographics you want - you can`t even dominate in your favorite sport.
0
Reply
Male 134
the country of england resides in the continent of east LA so stfu
0
Reply
Male 516
England is a country. So what is Britain and the UK referred to as?
0
Reply
Male 26
fknloser, You`re one incredibly ignorant f.u.c.k.
0
Reply
Male 180
Maybe if yaw would speak English right there wouldn`t be a problem.
0
Reply
Male 378
And we care because? How many of you English jerk offs refer to all Americans as Yanks when less than a third of the country is in the territory the Yankees were from?
0
Reply
Male 6
Didn`t know...

Do now...

Still don`t care...

That is all...
0
Reply
Male 1,287
zomg. People from the United States of America are not called U.S. Americans. (thanks, simim23)

The U.S. government named its citizens Americans. Not my opinion. It`s a fact. If you find it doesn`t identify you well enough, take it up with them
0
Reply
Male 12
To be honest, iv lived in England all my life and have never heard anyone moan about this.

Besides...
The Isle of Man isnt actually part of Britain so maybe you should sort your maps out you twat.
0
Reply
Male 4,867
"how about you damn ENGLISH get out of other peoples` countries and let them have it since its not 1485 anymore and we humans have grown to be more educated and considerate of one`s heritage. You fags tell us to get out of IRAQ totally unaware that we will, we don`t invade, conquer, and rule like the English. So give Ireland back their land and drat off"

I didn`t want to have to bring this one out - but you Americans (United Statesians) aren`t actually in your own country either, y`know... the whole pilgrims and killing the innocent natives deal. And most people in Northern Ireland are happy being part of the UK and don`t want a `unified Ireland`.

Just sayin`
0
Reply
Male 168
OMG! Thank you for this! I honestly never knew and it always confused the hell out of me.
0
Reply
Male 2,506
Congrats, You englandeers are stuck up non-nice individuals
0
Reply
Male 418
how about you damn ENGLISH get out of other peoples` countries and let them have it since its not 1485 anymore and we humans have grown to be more educated and considerate of one`s heritage. You fags tell us to get out of IRAQ totally unaware that we will, we don`t invade, conquer, and rule like the English. So give Ireland back their land and drat off
0
Reply
Male 1,386
sooo... they`re all exactly the same and i should continue referring to them as such?

got it.
0
Reply
Female 5
So if we`re referring to the entire UK as a whole, do we call them the United Kindomists or something? Because by this logic, the Northern Irish wouldn`t be included under British.
0
Reply
Male 1,219
I can say that I did not know that, though I knew that the UK included a few different countries.
0
Reply
Male 1,164
The Union Flag and The Union Jack are the same however, it is only The Union Jack when on any boat ship ect, on land it is The Union flag...

also swaywithme northern ireland is part of the United Kingdom, whereas the Republic of Ireland is no longer part of the UK
0
Reply
Male 1,184
"(the rest, the Republic of Ireland, is its own seperate country; it`s important that you never confuse that in the presence of an Irishman!)"

o.O I was certainly confused. I thought Ireland was part of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland was a separate country.
0
Reply
Male 2,440
US vs. England... Britain... the UK, whatever. Blah blah blah the UK sucks. Blah blah blah America sucks.

Let`s drop this crap and focus on what`s REALLY important here. Canada will suck no matter what, so let`s gang up on those Moosers!
0
Reply
Male 2,688
Me too auburnjunky...

Not all Americans are dumb and illiterate... People from other countries take the worst of our crop and use it as a proper cross section of our society. So by our WORST examples, Americans are fat, lazy, illiterate, and low class. But if we were to do the same to other countries (for example England), and find their lowest common denominator, we`d find fat, lazy, drunk, illiterate, unbathed, and incestuous. So is that a good cross cut of English society? No... It`s not. When comparing societies, the proper means is to compare them by their most common standards.
0
Reply
Male 1,378
boring
0
Reply
Male 84
"Why don`t us U.S. Americans just start referring to each other by the state in which we reside. That should clear up some confusion for the English as well. What with Alabamians, Alaskans, Arizonans, Arkansans, Californians, Coloradans, Connecticuters, Delawareans, Floridians, Georgians, Hawaiian, Idahoans, Illinoisans, Hoosiers, Iowans, Kansans, Kentuckians, Louisianans, Mainers, Marylanders, Bay Staters, Michiganians, Minnesotans, Mississippians, Missourians, Montanans, Nebraskans, Nevadans, New Hampshirites
New Jerseyites, New Mexicans etc… So much easier that way."

Oh my God, you are a moron.
0
Reply
Male 2,850
"How come Ireland wasn`t considered part of Britain? Are they not friends?"

Britain is the main island. Ireland is a seperate island, but it is part of the British Isles.

If you memorise the full country name, it`ll make remembering the rest far easier: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

It means that the kingdoms that exist on the island of Great Britain (England, Wales, Scotland), united, along with the part of the island of Ireland, called Northern Ireland (the rest, the Republic of Ireland, is its own seperate country; it`s important that you never confuse that in the presence of an Irishman!)
0
Reply
Male 2,850
@auburnjunky

So can I! *DISCLAIMER: when sitting at an internet-capable computer*

In all seriousness, though, if you can do that from memory, nice one. Out of curiosity, why did you learn it all?