The United States National Debt Clock

Submitted by: msieg007 7 years ago in
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

In real time! Oh I love feeling involved, don"t you? Americans will sob. Non-Americans will LOL.
There are 79 comments:
Male 152
and so my trek begins through all the old post up until the most recent D:
0
Reply
Male 153
yuck
0
Reply
Male 749
This is confusing. o_O
0
Reply
Male 138
LOL McGovern.
Their best album.
0
Reply
Male 331
AAAAHHH!
0
Reply
Male 351
@Pabasa: We simply need to cut spending, cut entitlement programs and return America to the ideals it was founded on. Then we can use a 11% flat rate tax (will actually cover all of our current spending...) and pay off the debt. I find it funny how you can actually donate money to the fed with your taxes now. What a joke, at least until we stop spending like crazy.
0
Reply
Male 943
Yes, I cry when I see that America has the highest GDP in the world, second to only the European Union, which is comprised of 27 countries competing against our one country. *sob sob sob* /sarcasm
0
Reply
Male 14,334
"We`re going down in a spiral to the ground
No one, no one`s gonna save us now! (not even god!)
No one saved us, no one saved us
No one saved us, no one`s gonna save us now
Where do you expect us to go when the bombs fall?"
0
Reply
Male 184
I wish I could lol. But we`re all going down with you :(
0
Reply
Male 106
They don`t include how much other countries oe the U.S. which is actually double the deficate. But hey, we only want to induce parinoia and turmoil right?
0
Reply
Male 516
It`s quite obvious that our federal government needs an Economic Stimulus package.

40 trillion will do.

Any volunteers?
0
Reply
Female 397
wouldn`t it be funny if america was a ZILLION dollars in debt? we should all get a prize at that mark.
0
Reply
Male 1,231
xhappyhourx- you`re level of ignorance astounds me. This isn`t a new problem- and Obama can not be blamed for it, in fact, believe it or not, he has little say in the matter.
0
Reply
Male 269
Yes, and your major screw-up has been felt here in Canada as well. Still not hearing any apologies, U.S.A....
0
Reply
Female 47
Hahahahaha ahahahahahaa!!

How the hell did you manage this one America? *watches it keep going up forever*
0
Reply
Male 213
13 Trillion! That`s about 41k for each person, or about 100k for each person in your workforce. This is something I won`t need to tell my grandchildren, you`ll still be paying off this debt in a hundred years.
0
Reply
Male 8,302
> SamVimes
> at least someone in America had the capacity and concern to create something like this

You forgot Switzerland in your Countries list: $3,123,288,323.00239121039802930921
0
Reply
Male 1,231
"I didn`t think that a number that big existed! How you gonna get out of this one USA??"
Simple; Never actually pay it off. Think of the government being a student, and the government debt being the biggest student loan ever to exist. Technically the money doesn`t even exist anyways, so America, don`;t worry about it too much! The UK is in a similar boat.
0
Reply
Male 619
These are frightening numbers to consider.

That being said, at least someone in America had the capacity and concern to create something like this. We haven`t seen anything like this for any other countries.

Canada - "The good news is that we`re several billion Loonies in the black. The bad news is that internationally we`re known as, `America`s Hat.`"

Greece - "We can`t afford to make this clock. Give us some Euros."

China - "We`re the only people to report economic growth during the recession! Haha! Let`s use all that money to buy American debt! Ha... wait, what?"

Nigeria - "Please send me your bank account number so I can transfer out national budget surplus into it."

France - "We surrender!"
0
Reply
Male 222
lolz

suckers :P
0
Reply
Female 1,048
I didn`t think that a number that big existed! How you gonna get out of this one USA??
0
Reply
Male 4,012
@Znaught

Stable might not be the appropriate word. It`s definitely doomed, but it`s still the number 1 used currency in the world, and that won`t change in the near future. Either another currency needs to step up their game (Yuan and Euro are working hard) or we need a new monetary system.
0
Reply
Male 81
kind of looks like the clock I have hanging on my wall that keeps track of how long since I lost got laid...
0
Reply
Male 15,832
We are so phucked...
0
Reply
Female 3,828
LOL
0
Reply
Male 833
wow someone made a table with numbers going up... how interesting.
0
Reply
Male 195
Debt solved. Dissolve USA and start anew.
0
Reply
Male 845
> perhapsmaybe
> Im moving to Australia

It`s not as good as you think it is here. I mean, apart from the 30-hour working week for average $700US per week, the sunshine, the low population density of 1 person per 2.8 sq km, the free health care, hospitals, ambulance, dental, the fact that even unemployed people get paid $400 per week, without any time limit, or the fact that our speed limit is 75mph, and the stunning scenery, lack of pollution, extremely low crime rate and incredible abundance of mineral wealth in our ground, we really have nothing whatsoever going for us over here.

plus, you gotta deal with ausholes every day.
0
Reply
Male 37,888
Gosh, Obama is [quote]so much a better president[/quote] than Bush! Just LOOK at how fast he`s making the debt rise! It took that loser Bush 8 whole years to blow 2 trillion!
/sarc
0
Reply
Male 7,611
hey, at least its going down.
0
Reply
Male 8,302
> perhapsmaybe
> Im moving to Australia

It`s not as good as you think it is here. I mean, apart from the 30-hour working week for average $700US per week, the sunshine, the low population density of 1 person per 2.8 sq km, the free health care, hospitals, ambulance, dental, the fact that even unemployed people get paid $400 per week, without any time limit, or the fact that our speed limit is 75mph, and the stunning scenery, lack of pollution, extremely low crime rate and incredible abundance of mineral wealth in our ground, we really have nothing whatsoever going for us over here.
0
Reply
Male 526
.... I don`t feel educated enough to talk about currency and world trade and what-not, but from looking at those numbers... i`d say we`re pretty boned.
0
Reply
Male 351
@Pabasa: Stable? Monetizing debt you say?

Not only are we monetizing the debt, but our debt is going to get so out of control that the interest (ONLY THE INTEREST, not money that we are paying back) will become the largest part of the budget in years to come.
0
Reply
Male 2,034
I`ve been coming here 6 years and this is the first link I`ve had posted... What does that say about me?
0
Reply
Male 1,351
Look at all the pretty numbers going up, up, up...
0
Reply
Male 4,012
Dollar will still lose value, but in my opinion it will still be the leading currency for global trading purposes in the near future (10 years more, at least). No other currency is stable enough to replace the USD.

Euro? Look at how one country can threaten the entire currency. Yen? The Japanese are overprotective of their currency, can`t use it for trade. Pound Sterling? It`s devaluating, fast. I think the Renminbi has the potential, but its user base is very small, and it`ll take more than 10 years for them to reach even Yen standards.
0
Reply
Male 10,440
[quote] the US sells its debt to other countries, mostly China, and uses the money to fund the budget etc...any time China or other countries that hold debt start making overtures that they are going to cash in on their holdings the US deflates the value of the dollar, crashing their debt value and everything stays the way it was. [/quote]

Nope. The dollar looses value. One day the Euro will become the leading circulated currency. This will be within our lifetimes.
0
Reply
Male 2,056
COUGHzeitgeistCOUGH

lol
0
Reply
Female 446
Im moving to Australia.
0
Reply
Male 2,345
atually to even worry about the debt is pointless...the US relies on the debt and it has for decades.

the US sells its debt to other countries, mostly China, and uses the money to fund the budget etc...any time China or other countries that hold debt start making overtures that they are going to cash in on their holdings the US deflates the value of the dollar, crashing their debt value and everything stays the way it was.

this will most likely never change...not in anyone`s life time.
0
Reply
Female 1,386
Debt... hmm... Is there really a plan on paying it back at some point?
0
Reply
Male 351
@Loxen: If by pay it back you mean... Increase spending... then yes!
0
Reply
Male 351
@MrSchreiber: Because that includes EVERYONE`s debt. Such as household and business debt. WHY DOESN`T ANYONE PUT YOUR CURSOR OVER THIS?

The federal debt is going up, however the private sector debt is being reduced. (Maybe that is because they actually know that they need to tighten their belts)

So guys, I hope you like your entitlements. They are simply destroying this country.
0
Reply
Male 1,958
*head desk*
0
Reply
Male 167
How`s the National Debt going up, but the "Total Debt" going down? I`m no economist, someone explain this to me?
0
Reply
Male 575
LOL
0
Reply
Male 1,254
"Good point...but, isn`t EVERYTHING we do is "less than a lifetime"... think about it,

I just sayin..."

I completely understand, my statement was a little weak without any additional clarification.

What I was trying to convey was the fact that we can be blinded by our lifetime quantum and fail to see things like government spending on a macro-level. All of our actions constrained to 80 years really hurts our view past that point.

In my opinion, this is at least of part of the reason why many problems keep getting forfeited to younger generations. And the only time people act on it is when it is too late to stop it. That is, of course, an untrue blanket statement, but in many cases I think it holds.
0
Reply
Male 322
Why would we cry...the debt is going down if you look at that. sooo...im happy.
0
Reply
Male 4
"I don`t see any numbers, just empty boxes."

Call now and we`ll also make your debt DISAPPEAR!
0
Reply
Male 554
bright flashy numbers hurt my eyes
0
Reply
Female 3,562
I don`t see any numbers, just empty boxes.
0
Reply
Male 447
You know, as hard as it is for people to believe, other countries besides the US have debt. In fact, *gasp* the US isn`t even the worst off. Not by a long shot. Sure ours looks bad, but as a percentage of GDP it`s piddly.

Oh and you smug Europeans, why don`t you buy some Greek bonds then tell me how bad the US debt is.
0
Reply
Male 4,807
Dakkar..". A person can bankrupt themselves in less than a lifetime by being irresponsible, it just takes a country a few more lifetimes."

Good point...but, isn`t EVERYTHING we do is "less than a lifetime"... think about it,

I just sayin...
0
Reply
Male 322
hmmm..better then i thought..
0
Reply
Male 25,416
Hmm.. i wonder if its genuine!
0
Reply
Male 15,510
Oh crap, It doesnt look like the best time to start selling this

0
Reply
Male 122
haha ya that is bad
0
Reply
Male 216
and 0% of that debit is mine.
0
Reply
Male 518
@xhappyhourx

Your statement made me laugh. I would like to thank you. Now please don`t reproduce unless you have logical reasoning behind your statement.
0
Reply
Male 330
Lakerzz8, you are the reason this crap is happening. When did debt become acceptable? When did spending more than you make EVER make sense? They only time a country should be in debt is if it`s trying to develop, but guess what... WE ARE developed. Now we`re just blowing money on more and more worthless and broken government programs.

If it wasn`t for people trying to live beyond their means we wouldn`t have had most of this crisis happen, particularly the housing market crash.
0
Reply
Male 111
Isn`t that the way debt is supposed to go under our current economic system that is based entirely on constant growth? If you want to stop seeing debt go up, the US needs to shift to a "steady state" economic policy. Until then, the system is designed to be either booming or busting, there is no middle ground.
0
Reply
Male 1,254
EU countries have less gross debt than the U.S., but many of them have a higher debt percentage of GDP. As this has been pointed out, it is a more serious problem.
0
Reply
Male 1,190
The EU countries have much less debt than the USA. The US would not be able to apply to the EU because of economic practices that are against the EU treaty (and because of the US` use of the death penalty, it would be excluded on human rights grounds)
0
Reply
Female 34
Thank you, Obama.
0
Reply
Male 365
There is nothing wrong with increasing national debt as long as our GDP increases along with it, and in most cases it does. As long as the GDP grows, the US can continue making payments on their loans and countries will continue lending money to the US.
0
Reply
Male 212
Ouch. It burns.
0
Reply
Male 1,254
A more interesting statistic is debt as a percentage of GDP. It is comparable, but the U.S. is better than Canada, Germany, Italy, France, Japan, UK, Norway, and other industrialized nations.

CIA provides the source

So from those details, the U.S. should actually be entitled to the laugh. But unlike our European counterparts, we`re too humble to do that.

Of course, there are many other details to consider too, some more damning to America and some not. All said, irresponsible spending is bad for everyone. A person can bankrupt themselves in less than a lifetime by being irresponsible, it just takes a country a few more lifetimes.
0
Reply
Male 1,357
har har!
0
Reply
Male 1,596
this was really interesting thanks
0
Reply
Male 153
perhaps im reading it wrong, but did anyone else notice that the total US debt in the center was actually going down?
0
Reply
Male 390
yep....I need to move to Canada
0
Reply
Male 63
LOL
0
Reply
Male 4,594
Ooh, pretty.
0
Reply
Male 330
Now you know why people are pissed off about Health Care.
0
Reply
Female 362
Wow just...wow.
0
Reply
Male 516
wow i didn`t know our national debt goes up at such a constant pace. it`s good to know that we spend our money linearly
0
Reply
Male 80
"Like"
0
Reply
Male 774
It`s like listening to the ocean OvO
0
Reply
Male 2,034
Link: The United States National Debt Clock [Rate Link] - In real time! Oh I love feeling involved, don`t you? Americans will sob. Non-Americans will LOL.
0
Reply