Found 40,000-Year-Old Baby Woolly Mammoth [Pic]

Submitted by: fancylad 7 years ago in Science

40,000 years old? Uh oh, someone better read their Bible again and recheck their numbers.
There are 283 comments:
Male 351
@vilem:
1) No. It was in response to: "Given enough time, resources and willpower science throughout history has constantly proven everything we put to the test and will continue to do so."
2)Wrong. Dead wrong. For example, everyone agrees that stealing is wrong. Every culture around the world. Some may steal anyway, but if someone steals their stuff they feel wronged. As for killing, everyone universally thinks murdering innocent people is wrong. Of course there is always going to be outliers. I am talking as a whole, it is shared throughout the world despite being completely unconnected.
3)Again, explain conscience. Having done research on the matter myself, some scientists even conclude that it is not possible for it to be solely contained within the mind. When it comes to animals, I do agree they have a conscience, but not on our level (we are not different in degree, but kind). You cannot teach animals concepts, even the most simple of ones. You cannot teach an
0
Reply
Female 635
dam whats up with the arguing in the comments

o.o

0
Reply
Male 2,220
"1)Actually it would be impossible to understand what happened before the big bang. All evidence would be destroyed"

You`ve got a fundamental misunderstanding of the core concept. The big bang created the universe, thus, the evidence for this theory is all around us. Thats how they came up with the theory, they observed what was happening and came up with the most likely explanation.

0
Reply
Male 2,220
"If you cannot back up your reasoning for what you believe, don`t bother acting like it is right."

Personally, as an aethiest, I believe I`ve taken a rational viewpoint by always questioning what is most likely. I know that some things cannot be explained by Science, indeed I`m sure Science will never be able to explain everything. However that just means we don`t know how some stuff works, or worked, not that a higher being must be controlling things.

So - that`s a double-edged sword Znaught.

Why do you believe in God?

0
Reply
Male 871
Who said humans across the globe are unconnected?
we are the same the world over our psyche is the same the world over thats why psychologists tell us that human traits the world over are the same.
Murderers in Venzuela think the same way as murderers in Australia think the only difference is the geographical location.
We share the same thought processes the same reasoning ability the same cognitive functioning the only variations are through geographical considerations.
And as has been explained to you earlier but you choose to ignore it has been shown that we have evolved to live in the way we do by generally having the same morals, again slight variations apply but generally for us to function as a society we have to share an evolved common moral grounding.
0
Reply
Male 871
This `missing link` that religious people are so fond of citing is in fact an incorrect asertion by people who dont understand evolution.
We can trace back through fossil records a variety of intermediate fossils linking us back to the common ancestor we shared with chimpanzees, what we dont have is the same fossil record linking chimpanzees back to that same common ancestor which was neither human nor chimpanzee btw, and this is probably something to do with chimps living in forests.
Znaught did u just say evolution exists with evidence for animals but not for humans!?
So technically chimpanzees and not humans have a so called `missing link`
0
Reply
Male 1,164
FACT: The world is actually 15 years old, and we are all AIs in a computer program created by higher beings, programmed with memories and such. The entire world resets every day when you go to sleep, and you become a new AI every reset.

Prove me wrong, pissants.

0
Reply
Male 351
@Dustbuster19:
For someone who is so scientific, I would think you would at least use rational reasoning to try and disprove my points instead of simply insulting me. If you cannot back up your reasoning for what you believe, don`t bother acting like it is right.
0
Reply
Male 351
@vilem:
1) No. It was in response to: "Given enough time, resources and willpower science throughout history has constantly proven everything we put to the test and will continue to do so."
2)Wrong. Dead wrong. For example, everyone agrees that stealing is wrong. Every culture around the world. Some may steal anyway, but if someone steals their stuff they feel wronged. As for killing, everyone universally thinks murdering innocent people is wrong. Of course there is always going to be outliers. I am talking as a whole, it is shared throughout the world despite being completely unconnected.
3)Again, explain conscience. Having done research on the matter myself, some scientists even conclude that it is not possible for it to be solely contained within the mind. When it comes to animals, I do agree they have a conscience, but not on our level (we are not different in degree, but kind). You cannot teach animals concepts, even the most simple of ones. You cannot teach an
0
Reply
Male 239
@DJDoubleb

Thank you

0
Reply
Male 382
*sigh*

Why do people like to like to stand the bible in one corner of the ring and science in the other like they opposing forces?

Science is a tool, it is a method as man tries to find proof of when, where, how, and why.

The Bible is a collection of books that some feel is devinely inspired, or at least written by devinely inspired people, about the character of the creator. They are not in opposition, they aren`t even in the same field...

0
Reply
Male 2,220
Feeling a desire to help is quite different from feeling that you ought to help whether you want to or not. Supposing you hear a cry for
help from a man in danger. You will probably feel two desires-one a desire
to give help (due to your herd instinct), the other a desire to keep out of
danger (due to the instinct for self-preservation). But you will find inside
you, in addition to these two impulses, a third thing which tells you that
you ought to follow the impulse to help, and suppress the impulse to run
away. Now this thing that judges between two instincts, that decides which
should be encouraged, cannot itself be either of them."

Kuato Lives!

0
Reply
Female 96
dustbuster is hurting my soul.
0
Reply
Male 161
Isn`t it funny how people get so worked up at the mention of the Bible?
Your so called "science" has been proven wrong many times people. Do your research.
0
Reply
Female 459
CAN WE BAN DUSTBUSTER FOR MAKING MY EYES BLEED?

Oh, and... I think the baby mammoth is cool.

0
Reply
Male 11
FLUFFE IS RIGHT< YOU CRAZY dratS JUST WONT ACCEPT SCIENCE AS REAL
0
Reply
Male 11
@ZNaught

GET YOUR dratING HEAD CHECKED, THE BIBLE IS FICTION YOU CRAZY BIBLE THUMPER, I HATE CRAZY PEOPLE WHO CANT GET OVER THE FACT SCIENCE HAS PROVED RELIGION TO BE FALSE.. GET OVER IT!!!!!!!

0
Reply
Male 11
RELIGION IS NOT REAL, IF YOU"RE CRAZY AND BELIEVE IT IS MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET YOUR HEAD CHECKED BY A DOCTOR...SCIENCE IS REAL, GET OVER IT
0
Reply
Male 351
@Fluffe:
Do you have a better explanation for how things came to be? How did the big bang happen? How was matter created? What came before matter?

You obviously cannot rule out religion. If you can, what are your grounds for ruling it out? Instead of insulting people for being religious, maybe try backing up your claims. You sound just like a liberal/progressive.

0
Reply
Male 351
@Ophanim:
Feeling a desire to help is quite different from feeling that you ought to help whether you want to or not. Supposing you hear a cry for
help from a man in danger. You will probably feel two desires-one a desire
to give help (due to your herd instinct), the other a desire to keep out of
danger (due to the instinct for self-preservation). But you will find inside
you, in addition to these two impulses, a third thing which tells you that
you ought to follow the impulse to help, and suppress the impulse to run
away. Now this thing that judges between two instincts, that decides which
should be encouraged, cannot itself be either of them.
0
Reply
Male 88
Seriously. Religion will never cease to exist. Religious people are delusional and you cannot tell them wrong. That is how its going to be for a long time, might as well give up.
0
Reply
Male 239
"Uh - did a bible whacker just diss something for not having phsyical evidence? ROFL."

yeah, when you`re trying to argue with science physical evidence is kinda necessary.

But, you can just call people whackers and ignore them, while making fun of them for being ignorant if you want to.

0
Reply
Female 1,283
Damn, this is an ancient picture.

[quote]Uh - did a bible whacker just diss something for not having phsyical evidence? ROFL.[/quote]
You know what`s ironic? That means you`re just as "wrong" as us.

Davymid...I love that picture.

0
Reply
Male 74
@ZNaught: Actually, morality can quite easily be explained from an evolutionary standpoint: it`s a manifestation of the pack instinct. Because people are pre-programmed to form social groups, they are also programmed to ensure the cohesion of said social groups; as such, we will often undertake actions to the benefit of others, simply because it helps us to form new social bonds and, for that matter, to ensure the survival of the species.
0
Reply
Male 2,220
"If your going to take this from an evolutionary standpoint, where is the missing link? We are able to trace other animals back by finding specimens that prove evolution in their cases, however you cannot find that crucial step between ape and human. It simply does not exist. "

Uh - did a bible whacker just diss something for not having phsyical evidence? ROFL.

0
Reply
Male 351
@vilem:
1) No. It was in response to: "Given enough time, resources and willpower science throughout history has constantly proven everything we put to the test and will continue to do so."
2)Wrong. Dead wrong. For example, everyone agrees that stealing is wrong. Every culture around the world. Some may steal anyway, but if someone steals their stuff they feel wronged. As for killing, everyone universally thinks murdering innocent people is wrong. Of course there is always going to be outliers. I am talking as a whole, it is shared throughout the world despite being completely unconnected.
3)Again, explain conscience. Having done research on the matter myself, some scientists even conclude that it is not possible for it to be solely contained within the mind. When it comes to animals, I do agree they have a conscience, but not on our level (we are not different in degree, but kind). You cannot teach animals concepts, even the most simple of ones. You cannot teach an
0
Reply
Male 372
1) Fair enough.
2) I disagree with this entirely. Why cant morals be instinctual? Why must the stronger instinct always win? Instincts guide our actions, they give us a starting point for how to deal with situations, they do not entirely create any species or all creatures of a single species would be basic clones.
3) There has been much evidence to support human evolution. http://www.livescience.com/health/top10_... These are some possible links or relatives.
0
Reply
Male 239
@McDuff73

Religion has never suppressed science. People in power who fear change because change means a chance that they will be less influential and therefore less powerful have. Power, corruption, and control (government) has hindered science. Religion just happened to be their tool.

Religion and science are in no way contradictory.

0
Reply
Male 351
@Vilem:
1)Actually it would be impossible to understand what happened before the big bang. All evidence would be destroyed. Now I never made the claim that god Is the source of all this, but you cannot rule it out. I believe God is.
2)The problem with this argument of morality being instinct is wrong once again. If it were an instinct, the stronger of the instincts would always win, but often this is not the case and a 3rd force compels us to do the right thing rather than the one that we may feel much more compelled to do. If it was instinct, we should be able to find an instinct that is always good, but you cannot.
3) If your going to take this from an evolutionary standpoint, where is the missing link? We are able to trace other animals back by finding specimens that prove evolution in their cases, however you cannot find that crucial step between ape and human. It simply does not exist.
0
Reply
Male 48
WHO CARES IF IT GOES AGAINST RELIGION, ITS A MAMMOTH!
0
Reply
Male 12,138
Lionhart >> "The Bible is the INSPIRED AND ACCURATE word of God, it says so. 2 Timothy 3:16-17, "ALL Scripture is God-breathed"."

Lionhart, mate, did you just pull out (I believe you did) the feared and inimitable WHEEL OF POWER?!? Holy smokes!

0
Reply
Male 2,893
Wow. i`ve never seen the comment bar at the bottom go past eleven.
DAMN!!!!!! I should have made a Spinal Tap joke.
0
Reply
Male 2,510
wow this is incredibly old news.
0
Reply
Male 8,300
Are you guys still at it? If this debate goes on much longer it will overtake the Bible in terms of age.
0
Reply
Male 813
"God literally wrote the ten commandments in stone, According to the bible. " According to the bible eh? Well it`s good to know God wrote that too.
Oh wait....
0
Reply
Male 12,138
ZNaught, on your second point, there is quite a lot of recent scientific research on the evolution of "morality" (e.g. empathy, altruism, which are at the core of things such as not killing each other, not stealing from each other etc) in humans and other animal species. Vilem has the essence of it correct. There`s an article on wikipedia on the subject (OK, it`s wikipedia, but it`s a good place to start).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_morality

0
Reply
Male 130
whos gonna be the guy to try and taste it?
0
Reply
Male 372
1) Alright? I Still believe that just because we dont understand it yet doesnt mean it is un-understandable (i know thats not really a word but it seemed to fit)
2) Because, we evolved as a species which relies on community to survive and by killing other members or depriving them of things which they need in order to survive we doom our own species and our community, therefore ourselves. Self preservation macro style.
3) I would argue that through the sloooooow process of evolution we have increased our ability to learn, retain, and comprehend information in a new way as it has helped us to survive our particular niche particularily well. We are not small, nocturnal, camoflauge, we dont climb well, nor do we have cool horns. This is our thing, brain power.
Thats my take on it anyways.
0
Reply
Male 669
haha barnk, never seen a good looking christian girl before?
0
Reply
Male 486
All I need to prove there is no god is that a pretty girl like pui is a Christian.
0
Reply
Male 351
@vilem:
1) No. It was in response to: "Given enough time, resources and willpower science throughout history has constantly proven everything we put to the test and will continue to do so."
2)Wrong. Dead wrong. For example, everyone agrees that stealing is wrong. Every culture around the world. Some may steal anyway, but if someone steals their stuff they feel wronged. As for killing, everyone universally thinks murdering innocent people is wrong. Of course there is always going to be outliers. I am talking as a whole, it is shared throughout the world despite being completely unconnected.
3)Again, explain conscience. Having done research on the matter myself, some scientists even conclude that it is not possible for it to be solely contained within the mind. When it comes to animals, I do agree they have a conscience, but not on our level (we are not different in degree, but kind). You cannot teach animals concepts, even the most simple of ones. You cannot teach an
0
Reply
Male 372
oh noooesss not socialism! Better be good or it`ll come GETCHA!
1) Because we cant understand the universe`s workings we should assume its a deity? I disagree whole heartedly. This goes against what science at its very essence is.
2) Bullpoo statement- This is simply not true at all beyond "Dont kill each other" and even that is a stretch.
3) If you are suggesting that animals do not have consciousnous than i simply disagree. Many animals show self awareness, elephants for example. Furthermore humanity has a very unique evolutionary development, i would suggest that this might play a significant role.
Fatpill....what?
0
Reply
Female 5,222
awww :(
0
Reply
Male 871
`Interesting, McDuff. Far as I recall - if you actually do your research - some of the greatest scientists and/ or discoveries were by Christians`

I dint mention their own religion I said religion has opressed and supressed science, for example Copernicuss` book on the sun being the centre of the solar system was supressed for decades, they then burned his supporter Bruno at the stake as a heretic,Galileo was threatened with torture and placed under house arrest till he went blind by the inquisition then they prohibited his books for 200 years! Campanella was tortured seven times by the inquisition for writing In support of Galileo. Descartes delayed his book supporting Galileo and when he did publish he was listed on the prohibited books list signed by the Pope!Protestants wanted him tortured.
Newton, Halley, Darwin, Hubble, even Bertrand Russell, could go on all persecuted harassed supressed by Religion for daring to challenge it!

0
Reply
Male 362
yeah someone better recheck that bible as it appears as tho its dead wrong
0
Reply
Male 1,256
This isn`t a repost, it`s just old as hell.
0
Reply
Male 41
Wasn`t this discovered like 12 years ago?
0
Reply
Male 351
2) Please explain the common set of morals that all cultures and civilizations share.
3) Please explain conscience and why we are the only living thing to have a conscience mind that is able to [i]understand[i/] concepts and ideas.

I could go on, but this is enough for you to work with for now.

0
Reply
Male 351
@splurbyburbl:
Sure in some cases atrocities were committed. But you cannot deny the atrocities carried out by indians as well? Many were done in retribution by both sides. And as I have said previously, you cannot consider people that commit murder and such to be good Christians. The fact of the matter is, which atheists cannot seem to understand, is that christians can be just as bad of people as non-christians. Why you seem to think being christian makes them all of a sudden unable to do harm I do not know. No one that I have seen is making that claim. Stop acting like it has been made.

As for science, I can think of many things that it will be impossible for science to prove and things that it has failed to do so thus far.
1) Considering how matter is essentially "recycled" at the big bang, we will never know if others occurred before it. Nor will we be able to conclude why it occurred in the first place.
Cont. IN next post

0
Reply
Female 3,574
Space_girl, ah, I knew you were at our low level :P
0
Reply
Female 627
Anyway, I`m going to say this again. Anyone who uses the bible as a reference for facts must realize that the bible was written by multiple people at different times with different biases. It`s a mish-mash of different stories, which are often historically inaccurate but may carry historical memories.
0
Reply
Female 627
Whee!
0
Reply
Female 3,574
Dear, Space_girl

So are you.

0
Reply
Female 627
Dear Everyone,

You`re being silly.

0
Reply
Female 3,574
[quote]the facts are that non-christians did not do these things; christians did.[/quote]

So?

0
Reply
Male 2,796
"splurbyburbl, I`m pretty sure non-christian Europeans would have done the same thing."

Perhaps, and nobody thus far is saying otherwise. But, the facts are that non-christians did not do these things; christians did. In fact in that time one would have been harshly persecuted and/or killed for not being christian.

0
Reply
Male 2,796
"Science cannot explain everything. At least religion has a source for everything."

The dumbest comment I think I have ever seen on this forum. Given enough time, resources and willpower science throughout history has constantly proven everything we put to the test and will continue to do so. I would say Sciences` biggest roadblock is organzied religion and the drated up thought processes that hinder rational and logic thought.

0
Reply
Male 58
That`s just a baby elephant..
Jesus..
0
Reply
Female 3,574
splurbyburbl, I`m pretty sure non-christian Europeans would have done the same thing.
0
Reply
Male 2,796
"If you hadn`t noticed, the United States was founded by Christians."

You mean the "christians" that systematically killed and/or enslaved the Native Americans in the name of the Queen of Spain? Or later when the other Christians came over from England and colonized, multiplied and systematically killed American Indians for land and resources? Which christians are we tlaking about? BTW love your religion... it`s better than a horror film!

0
Reply
Female 3,574
Piepig, what? No.
0
Reply
Male 25,416
what the its now gone to god conversations? what the?
0
Reply
Male 1,523
Is it wrong to not have a religion because my parents didn`t make me go to church... o.o
0
Reply
Male 351
@agreed:
Science cannot explain everything. At least religion has a source for everything.

@vilem: If you hadn`t noticed, the United States was founded by Christians. Now there is no law that forces separation of state and church, only that the government cannot pass laws which prohibit certain religions or their exercise and laws which force certain ones upon you. Read the constitution. The truth is, religion and everything else in life is impossible to separate. For a christian, our very values and usually our political views are directly related. As for the public school system, if anything it is actually prohibiting religion and promoting atheism. One more step towards socialism I suppose.

0
Reply
Female 3,574
fattpill... >_O;
0
Reply
Male 256
Atheist have their god and they are trying to shove him or her or it down our throats. If you go back to all your theories you will find the root of all science is SUPERNATURAL at some point.
0
Reply
Male 690
nice
0
Reply
Female 3,574
I also think atheism should also be left inside it`s own institution, but I am sure a lot of people here would be a-okay with an infiltration of their own beliefs in society.

My point is that people are hypocritical. They don`t like being bombarded with someone else`s opinion, yet most of them would take any opportunity to do it right back, and cheer anyone on who does so (seriously just look at the people on this site as an example)

0
Reply
Male 372
And yet christianity is being forced down our throats. Its in our anthems, our law, our schools, our politics.. I have no problem with religion, i just believe it has a place as its own institution, not one which infiltrates all aspects of society.
0
Reply
Female 3,574
almightybob1, I definitely disagree. Why can`t we just live and let live? I don`t think mocking each other is making anybody happier. It`s not a matter of thinking one`s opinion is right, it`s just simple respect. I won`t force my beliefs down your throat and I`d appreciate it if people didn`t do it to me.
0
Reply
Male 253
if 40,000 year old is a baby mammoth... i wonder how old it would take to be an adult...
0
Reply
Male 29
<thoroughly enjoys the christian bashing
0
Reply
Male 610
this was new like 6 months ago.
0
Reply
Female 10
"and the embryos they use for they`re research are actually getting put to good use...the embryos they use are ones that would have been discarded anyway...they`d die"


holy crap i didnt know they were alive to begin with!! f you, high school

0
Reply
Male 2,893
monkeys evolved from the Bible.
mammoths wrote the Bible.
i`m f**king confusing myself.
0
Reply
Male 2,049
I posted a video about this a long time ago.
0
Reply
Male 4,014
God planted mammoth corpses to test our faith....DUH!
0
Reply
Female 28
Trailslayer - Also, if anyone has actually read the bible (I had to, I went to Catholic school for 10 years) does anyone ever notice that everyone in the Bible who was all about God and spreading the good died horrible, painful deaths? All the people who God smote were believers, "good guys" you might say. Yeah, I believe in God and Jesus and all the stuff, but these bible thumpers get on my nerves...people who get so defensive over religion it isn`t even funny. Get a life, people, have an open mind...everyone has to hear your opinions about how God is good and all that crap, so if someone tells us they believe in stem cell research (I do) just shut and have an open mind...you don`t need to throw the bible at us every chance you get. Also, as a nursing student, I`ve done research papers on stem cell research, and the embryos they use for they`re research are actually getting put to good use...the embryos they use are ones that would have been discarded anyway...they`d die
0
Reply
Male 4,793
yay trailslayer! somebody give that man a cookie!
0
Reply
Male 3,645
And LazyMe, what if the historians have a biased? For example, take the Bay of Pigs, did the US invade Cuba to be a bully, as the world saw it? Or did the US invade Cuba to try to exterminate communism from the west?

Chances are Cubans will say the first, while the US will say the latter. It`s about context, and points of view.

The Bible is a story book, yeah I can see that. But then so is every book that has a who, what, where, when, and how in it. The only books that come to mind that don`t have that are math books, and to a point, science books.

And another thing, the Bible has been put together by, you guessed it, historians! Woo! They gathered data on old texts, journals, etc., compiled them and made the Bible. There are many books that could have been put in to the Bible but haven`t. Have you heard of the book of Thomas? Probably not, but it exists.

Bottom line, any book`s interpretation is in the hands of the reader. No book will be 100% accurate.

0
Reply
Male 351
@Trailslayer
The thing is, if you have any humanity at all, you would also be against stem cell research and be pro-life. Embryonic stem cell research has yet to cure any diseases. While adult stem cell research (No embryos are destroyed) has cured ~100. Now as for pro-life, you cannot possibly argue that it is not human, look at all the pro-choice scholars, they do not argue on the grounds it is not human anymore. So clearly life is being destroyed there, but why? Because someone was raped? Well that is in less than 1% of cases. Far less than 1%. Because it endangers the mother? "Today (1967) it is possible for almost any patient to be brought through pregnancy alive, unless she suffers from a fatal illness such as cancer or leukemia, and if so, abortion would be unlikely to prolong, much less save life." ~ Alan Guttmacher - Former head of Planned Parenthood.

As for the atrocities of religion, generalizing a few bad people as representing a whole religion is absurd.

0
Reply
Male 1
"And if us Christians are wrong about where we go in the end, then jokes on us. Why do other people care so much?EXACTLY. Although, I bet I could figure out why." -pui

Why do people care so much? Because they are hell bent on dictating the lives of others, pro life, prohibiting stem cell research, imposing "intelligent design" in schools, etc.

Or do you want the horrors of religion too? Suicide bombings, child molestation, the suppression of women, jihads, crusades, persecution of gays, I can continue on this list longer than the character limit in this reply. If you need to add a face to some atrocities I will be the bringer of reality and rational thinking to you, have a look for yourself here

0
Reply
Male 10,440
[quote] Lotta trolls on this one I see. [/quote]

You people are misusing the term troll. Anyone who disagrees with you is now a troll. WTF!

[quote] The Bible is a history book. End of story. [/quote]

Lord of the Rings has more accurate history than the bible. The bible is a story book. End of story.

[quote] Who decides what goes in a history book? [/quote]

Historians, ie; people who know what happened in the past through research.

0
Reply
Male 422
National Geographic magazine called, they want their story from may 2009 back.

Yawn... old news.

0
Reply
Male 695
People arguing about religion are stupid.

Anyway... This story is pretty old. Like two years or something. Is this the first you`ve heard of it?

0
Reply
Male 162
Boo hoo. They make fun of me so I`ll make fun of them. Waaaa Waaaaa. Geez people need to grow up.
0
Reply
Male 162
"I find this so funny. Christians take offense at the smallest thing...yet they forget the poop they have been saying and doing to non christians for like...forever?

Cry me a river!"

Wow. Pathetic logic. Gotta love the internet.

0
Reply
Male 3,431
I agree with Seaker and by Extension Duckboy. If I wanted to visit an anti Christian themed website, I`d do so. I am here for entertainment and the occasional interesting article.

This $hit is getting old.

And while we`re on about it, if the site is about contemporary thought, what the hell is the deal with the mindless censorship?

0
Reply
Male 305
Lotta trolls on this one I see. Pass.
0
Reply
Male 3,645
Agreed with Bob, but when the humor goes to far, that`s when things like Columbine start... and that`s the main point of discussion.
0
Reply
Male 322
almightybob1, you said humour defuses anger. But that`s only when humour is intended. If no humour was intended in the mocking, what then?
0
Reply
Male 4,290
[quote]Barnk, I used to be atheist, does that mean I have the right to mock you?[/quote]

I`ll answer on his behalf: absolutely. Everyone should have the right to mock anyone else.
Humour defuses anger.
When people take themselves and their beliefs too seriously, and think that their opinion is sacrosanct and shouldn`t be mocked, THAT`S when the trouble starts.

0
Reply
Male 322
Barnk, pretty ridiculous logic you used there in your last sentence :P
0
Reply
Female 3,574
Barnk, I used to be atheist, does that mean I have the right to mock you?
0
Reply
Male 486
Come on, Christians! Can`tcha take a joke? Or are you too busy suckling on Jesus` holy wanghole? Nyah, nyah, we have the fossils!

/used to be Christian, so I have the right to mock them.

0
Reply
Male 113
I agree with duckboy. The anti-christian theme here is getting kind of old. You don`t have to be pro-christian, but the website is i-am-bored. Not i-am-bored and hate Christianity. It seems like at least once or twice a day one of the posts is something anti-christian. Bashing any religion can be done, but concentrating on one in particular seems to show an agenda here.
0
Reply
Female 3,574
And if us Christians are wrong about where we go in the end, then jokes on us. Why do other people care so much?


EXACTLY. Although, I bet I could figure out why.

0
Reply
Male 1
The caption is representative of the anti-christian anti-right etc
0
Reply
Female 80
Mornaf: If you can`t trust your religious books when it says where you came from, how can you trust where it says you`re going?

I never said I didn`t trust it. I just said it can`t be taken literally. And if us Christians are wrong about where we go in the end, then jokes on us. Why do other people care so much?

0
Reply
Male 792
The bible was orally translated from one generation to the next for a couple thousand years until it was eventually written down around 200 BC. It`s comprised of thousands of years of history. But, the general message stands: Do good to each other.

There are even things in Greek history, which heavily influenced early Jewish/Christian history, which seem dubious, but were based off real events. Troy, anyone? It`s doubtful that Achilles was burned as an infant, and dipped in the River Styx...but, chances are there was a great warrior named Achilles who was killed by getting stabbed in the ankle and probably died of infection.

0
Reply
Male 3,645
Oh, and added, I don`t mind a little Christian/Japanese/American/British/political/etc. bashing, but the Christian, and a little bit of the Japanese bashing is getting tiresome.
0
Reply
Male 3,645
Let me equate the Bible to something everyone is familiar with.
The Bible is a history book. End of story.
Who decides what goes in a history book?
Did George Washington row across the Delaware River?

My point is that try to view the Bible as a history book, it all happened to some degree; maybe Moses didn`t `part` the Red Sea, but the Jewish people did escape Egypt to get to their promised land. The Bible is not, and should not be a stand point for morality, rather it should be used like modern day history texts.

As I said in a previous comment, I`m Christian and I say this openly, without fear of being smitten.

0
Reply
Male 792
Well, whatever...I`m off to look at cats wanting cheeseburgers.
0
Reply
Male 699
bull poo
0
Reply
Female 3,574
Well whatever, if they want to debate this in the comments, than so be it (I just don`t agree that the site should be egging them on). But yes, hardly any of them even know what they`re talking about, so it just makes all the arguments tiresome.
0
Reply
Male 5,620
I like a good religious debate more than anyone else. But this site is starting to steer towards lewd comments towards Christianity. The caption for this really disappoints me. I feel the community should be informed: is this site going to go in a direction that is intentionally against the church? I would like to know.
0
Reply
Male 792
I know what you mean, pui...These kinds of things bore me. I`m tired of numb-nuts who have no intelligence trying to make an argument.
IAB shouldn`t be for debating religion (obviously the average crowd here can`t comprehend intellectual conversation). It should be a place to...well, not be bored.
0
Reply
Male 116
@Samsquanch: But the Bible does contradict itself in places, right? That severely diminishes it`s historical worth, doesn`t it. Even if it are small differences, surely that points out that it isn`t meant to be taken literally?
0
Reply
Male 116
Just checked, about 40%, of the Dead See scrolls are Old Testament (if Wiki is correct, which is not always a given).
0
Reply
Male 792
Valongar, the gospel of Matthew is thought to be attributed to Matthew the tax collector and is believed to be the most accurate of them. The gospel of Luke is attributed to a disciple of Peter, and recounts Peter`s telling. The gospel of Mark is attributed to a disciple of Paul so comes to the bible through 3rd hand information, and is likely the least accurate. The gospel of John is impossible to tell, since John was a very common name.
0
Reply
Male 116
@CrakrJak: I`m talking about the New Testament. I`m not sure, but I don`t think many of those scrolls can be found in the Bible. Don`t take my word for it though. And if they were written in 200 BC, I take it they`re not about Jesus, huh?
0
Reply
Female 3,574
I`m disappointed in this website. I realize that most of the people here are atheist (and downright anti-religion), but I feel that this site should be neutral. In the comments, everyone can have their sh*t storm, but the website shouldn`t provoke it so obviously. It`s cheap.
0
Reply
Female 14
I wanneet.
0
Reply
Male 17,511
Valongar: "Secondly,the Bible is hardly historically accurate, I mean come on, most of the gospels were written like 100 years after Jesus died."

The Dead Sea Scrolls were most likely written by the Essenes during the period from about 200 B.C. to 68 C.E./A.D.

Care to revise that statement sir ?

0
Reply
Male 3,425
I`ve got nothing against taking a stab at religion, in this modern age I really don`t think there`s any place for it. But this is just stupid, completely unrelated to the article. A cheap way of getting arguments and therefore "hits" really.
0
Reply
Male 25
silly Christians, trix are for kids
0
Reply
Male 322
And Maddog, another interesting point that you say Christians take offense at the smallest little thing, because if I recall, most of the time we see atheists or non-Christians taking offense at Christian stuff.
0
Reply
Male 322
Interesting, McDuff. Far as I recall - if you actually do your research - some of the greatest scientists and/ or discoveries were by Christians.
0
Reply
Male 871
I`m all for taking a stab at all religions any time.
We`ve had millenia of opression and supression of science and arts etc... all in the name of whatever god they wanted to invoke.
Time to put religion back in its place like the hocus pocus mumbo jumbo it is.
0
Reply
Male 3,369
I find this so funny. Christians take offense at the smallest thing...yet they forget the poop they have been saying and doing to non christians for like...forever?

Cry me a river!

0
Reply
Male 3,425
Is this caption really necessary. Sure, most of this community are probably atheist, but that doesn`t mean we enjoy taking a cheap stab at religion every possible moment. I`d much prefer an informative caption. Whatever happened to user submitted content? Most of the stuff on here nowadays is simply stolen straight from Digg anyway, albeit with a less intelligible caption and title.
0
Reply
Male 174
This is really old
0
Reply
Male 11
The caption is representative of the anti-christian anti-right etc. haters that are crapping up this site.
0
Reply
Female 84
That looks like a regular baby elephant to me...
0
Reply
Male 61
I was about to post something about how insecure you all are, and how I felt religious bias should be left out of captions, but then I realized that it really wouldn`t do much good, because this is what IAB is becoming.

Unfortunately, I`ve found myself more let down than entertained each time i have visited this site in the past few months. This "community" that you have developed, is really quite saddening in itself, and i would hope that you all are smart enough so that i dont have to explain myself.

0
Reply
Male 101
Oh crap, I`m looking, they did. YOU EEDEEOTS!
0
Reply
Male 101
Oh dear God, someone please tell me that NO ONE took that caption seriously, and completely ignored the importance of the image itself.
0
Reply
Male 7
> deeplick

"Also who is to claim what was and was not lost in translation not only between man and god, but between languages as well? Unless you were there the day those words were written, don`t try to act like you know 100% that is what it literally mean.

You got to remember the bible was translated from a dead language to Hebrew, then through many others into English. We can`t even freaking properly translate Japanese into English today without loosing a lot of meaning."

Okay. Your first sentence alone gives me reason enough not to believe a world in the Bible. Your second sentence goes on to say that unless you were present at the time the Old Testament was pieced together, you can`t have any valid claim as to what the Bible even means (considering half of it is apparently literal while the completely nonsensical parts are only meant to be taken by interpretation).

Unless you`re basis for Japanese-English translation is cheap Hentai, what the HELL are you tal

0
Reply
Male 116
Lionheart, I think you`re losing track of `zeitgeist` here. First off, circumstances back in those days were completely different. Even when you translated something properly, there`s a pretty high probability that it still won`t mean the same. Secondly,the Bible is hardly historically accurate, I mean come on, most of the gospels were written like 100 years after Jesus died. How can you reasonably take all -if anything- of that literally?
0
Reply
Male 7
> Lionhart2

1. It`s always someONE`s fault. I`d suggest running if you see a large cross coming your way.

2. That just can`t be true! I`m pretty sure the 30-some-thousand different denominations of Christianity might have trouble agreeing on that one. /rollseyes

3. Everyone knows that the important parts, you know, the ones that validate their points and arguments, were all mistranslated or have one of 1,000 different meanings.

0
Reply
Male 8,300
> eeplick

Wow, so much its hard to know where to start.

1. *I* haven`t got this debate going.
2. The Bible is the INSPIRED AND ACCURATE word of God, it says so. 2 Timothy 3:16-17, "ALL Scripture is God-breathed". You can`t believe `just some` of it, you believe ALL (including that provision) or none.
3. Lost in translation: you make the same mistake most people ignorant of the Bible make - assuming it was translated from one single source. It wasn`t, there are THOUSANDS of copies of the various books extant, in Hebrew, Greek, Latin, everything.

What I have a problem with in Christianity is people saying "I believe this but not that... God loves me BUT he doesn`t hate anyone, I believe he created the world BUT not in 6 days."

You`re full of poo if that`s what you think, because your faith is a pretense in that case, a convenient life-view without the corresponding responsibility.

0
Reply
Male 7
I`ve passively frequented IAB for roughly 5 years now, and until now never felt the need to actually make an account.

Here`s my opinion.
Christianity (like nearly every religion) condemns other religions simply for thinking or believing outside of Christian beliefs and ideas. I`m pagan. Your religion condemns me to an eternity in hellish pain, torture, and absolute perfect anguish... because I believe differently. So, I apologize for not being sympathetic to your `mistreatment`.

0
Reply
Male 234
@Lionhart2 answer me this. How many times do people misinterpret stuff? Fact is, the bible is written by man. If you don`t want to accept it that is fine. But to take everything in it as literal just makes you a fool. First off a day is from sunrise to sunset. Many scientist have said that the earth spun slower back then meaning the days were longer then 24 hours so that tosses off the whole "IT LITERALLY MEANS 24 HOUR DAYS!" Debate you have going. Also who is to claim what was and was not lost in translation not only between man and god, but between languages as well? Unless you were there the day those words were written, don`t try to act like you know 100% that is what it literally mean.

You got to remember the bible was translated from a dead language to Hebrew, then through many others into English. We can`t even freaking properly translate Japanese into English today without loosing a lot of meaning.

0
Reply
Male 748
I saw this a couple of hours ago before I went to bed, when it had no comments. Now it has 7 pages. I knew that we`d end up with tons of comments. :D
0
Reply
Male 617
im a devout christian. yet, i have no doubt that lil guy is 40,000 years old, and he could be even older. (GASP!) i know, right? i`m not about to explain in this little area though.
0
Reply
Male 2,238
Amen, Davy.

Pun definitely intended.

0
Reply
Male 17,511
"Lionhart2, so God writes in Hebrew? Oh wait, man does."

God literally wrote the ten commandments in stone, According to the bible. So, Ya God writes in Hebrew.. He knows all languages, He knows what`s in our hearts no matter what country we are born in.

0
Reply
Male 17,511
Lionhart: "But if you DO believe in Him, then its as easy for Him to make the world in 6 literal seconds, minutes or days as it is for him to take thousands of years, so why question it?"

God could`ve taken any amount time to create the universe. Does time even exist to God the same way it does to us ? It`s true, God is all powerful, That means there are no limits to his power. So, 6 seconds, 6 days, 6,000 years or 6 billion years, Does it make a difference ? It doesn`t change the fact that God made it, and he made it a certain way.

0
Reply
Male 265
@hvvbrucewayne: Yah...bring up the Crusades. I forgot I was supposed to hop on my horse and rape and pillage a few muslins. Even I don`t believe all Muslims plan to fly planes into every building in the US. I`m certain you are smart enough to understand the crusades do not reflect modern christian belief/behavior.

@davymid: Hope so.

0
Reply
Male 12,138
Orangecrow, see my message below. We`re listening, and are in discussions about it.

The same crew who were running IAB 3 years ago are the same crew who are running it now. There has been no change in direction, and we take on board the comments here.

0
Reply
Male 3,631
In all fairness, I see this as an attempt for Fancylad to relate to us; clearly, we enjoy his disturbing Hard-drive emissions, so why not his unwarranted intellectual submissions?

Congratulations, however, on having the courage to stick-up to a friend you guys.

0
Reply
Female 1,199
"Oh come on people... stuff like this bible-bashing may popularize you for a while, but it leads to a slow death.

Just shut up. Believe or disbelieve in whatever you want... just stop going after people who think differently. It`s annoying and half of us want to put you through a meat grinder for it."

@ElSombrero: THANK YOU.

I`ve actually become really fed up with it lately, and I don`t enjoy iab at all anymore. =/ I use to come on daily now I come on here like once every two weeks and skim over for anything decent.

Eh I`m hoping this is just a phase though and iab will move on eventually. I use to really love this site.

0
Reply
Male 3,631
Alright Davy, I`ll tell you how you can express appreciation for my return business here - post one of my f*ckin` links once in awhile!
0
Reply
Male 9,305
FROZEN ELEPHANT FOUND. MILLIONS PISSED.
0
Reply
Male 472
@Lionhart:

I don`t care if you give me his birth certificate, I still think he`s a Muslim extremist born in Kenya.

0
Reply
Female 275
Yeah, this is cool science, I don`t see why it has to be manipulated for the sake of a cheap insult.

Come on, IAB. This thing is cool enough without the trolling. Feh!

0
Reply
Male 8,300
> deeplick
> The problem with that Lionhart2 is that the bible is written by man, not god.

Yep, I see the problem with your logic right there.

0
Reply
Male 12,138
Alright fellow IABers. The backlash on this thread from sire regulars is loud and clear. The message is both very fair, and understandable.

I know we often bang on about how this is a community, but it`s actually true. And we mods do listen to the complaints, we really do. After all, there are many other sites out there, and we appreciate the dedication of the regular users who return to this site daily. Last thing we want to do is get a reputation for cheap shots. And this is coming from (personally) the most militant atheists amongst the guys who help run the site - this was a bit too far.

We`ll address this and sort our house out. No-one wants to come to a party where the mood is nasty.

Thanks for input everyone, vitriolic and otherwise. We genuinely, sincerely promise to take the comments on this thread on board. If people don`t complain, nothing gets changed. It`s appreciated and listened to.

p.s. Lionhart, awesome shop job brother...

0
Reply
Male 203
@ Tay-Dor

ummm, crusades?

0
Reply
Male 1,505
How long will people continue to argue over the 7 days of creation vs. millions of years of evolution? This is ridiculous.

The Pentateuch (the first 5 books of the Bible that begin the Christian tradition) uses variations of the Hebrew word `Yom` to describe creation. The Christians interpret this word as `day`, but the word can also mean extended periods of time. With this in mind, Genesis can be viewed as a way to show us the order of the way things came to be...and nothing more. Considering this, religion and science are not opposed.

/hug

0
Reply
Male 1,162
all I see is a bunch of crying, even from the mods. It`s a comment. Learn how to laugh at yourself. Because we`re already doing it.
0
Reply
Male 2,748
wow... what a screw up
0
Reply
Male 234
@Lionhart2

The problem with that Lionhart2 is that the bible is written by man, not god. Problem is, man is not perfect and has flaws. Many people debate the 6 day creation because of that fact.

0
Reply
Male 265
What`s with the percecution of Christians on IAB lately? I guess its because Christian`s are an easy target that won`t hunt you down and kill you.

I wouldn`t mind so much if it was equally spread around amonst all religions/philosophies/etc.

0
Reply
Male 813
Lionhart2, so God writes in Hebrew? Oh wait, man does.
0
Reply
Male 448
40,000 years old is hardly a baby....
0
Reply
Male 372
It always strikes me as somewhat ironic when christians get pissed off at people for trying to force their opinions on others.
0
Reply
Male 771
I actually like this post, not because of the stupid caption but, because those who hide behind a shield of "atheism" realize that everyone is getting tired of you internet bullies who go around bashing other religions including TRUE atheists are tired of hearing you give them a bad rep. If you found a belief that works for you cool. If your really an atheist share your beliefs tell us about Naturalism or something, but if all you do is bash other peoples beliefs your not an atheist your a coward who doesn`t have the courage to believe in anything so instead you bash others so they can be as miserable as you.

you know the saying "Misery loves company"

0
Reply
Female 3,574
auuuugghhhhh honestly
0
Reply
Male 1,452
lionheart gets 1000+ internet points for the `shop
0
Reply
Male 36
@sgrin

you win :)

0
Reply
Male 8,300
> CrakrJak
> What is a "Day" to God?

The Bible means 6 LITERAL, 24 HOUR days. Firstly, you`re making the mistake of using an English translation; the original Hebrew uses a word specifically referring to a real day, not another meaning like "any day now".

Secondly, the "Gap Theory" (which is what you are talking about) falls to pieces when you consider animals/birds/fish had nothing to eat for several thousands years, if they aren`t literal days.

If you don`t believe in God, fine. But if you DO believe in Him, then its as easy for Him to make the world in 6 literal seconds, minutes or days as it is for him to take thousands of years, so why question it?

0
Reply
Male 820
[quote]"The bible can`t be taken literally. When it says he made the world in 6 seven days, it does not mean 6 days of 24 hours. It could be 6 days of 5,000 years or something."[quote]

I can`t remember who said it, but

If you can`t trust your religious books when it says where you came from, how can you trust where it says you`re going?

0
Reply
Male 86
Alright, I can understand the person trying to start a religious flame-war with the caption. But I think they got bonus points on the debate about homosexuality.
0
Reply
Male 8,300
> sgrin27
> TAKEN OUT OF [email protected]!!!!!!

That, my friend, HAS to be...

0
Reply
Male 8,300

I`m convinced, time to throw that Bible out.

0
Reply
Male 77
TAKEN OUT OF [email protected]!!!!!!
0
Reply
Male 1,452
Im not a Christian and I think this caption is unnecessary
0
Reply
Male 197
I agree with kittykatrock... Whoever wrote the caption had a bad time in their life.
0
Reply
Male 40,728
[quote]@CrakrJak- "Mere Coincidence?" -Yes.[/quote]
Not terribly scientific of you Zerocyde :P
SmagBoy1 - most Christians aren`t `opposed` to homosexuality, but believe it`s not part of Christianity. Most believe drinking booze isn`t very Christian, but thet don`t want to ban bars, same with gays.
Now many people have opposition to the "normalization" of "homosexualism" in North America. Their reasons may be religion-based, or not. It happens that mostly they`re religious folks, BUT that doesn`t make "most religious folks" anti-gay. See?
Also, ask a devout Muslim what should happen to gays, then you`ll see that Christains ain`t that bad after all...
0
Reply
Male 79
@SmagBoy1
You don`t have to be a Christian to be against homosexuality. Everyone has their moral thought about it. Do some quote the bible? Sure. But "atheists" quote the bible as well...Although it is using it opposite of its meaning.
0
Reply
Male 4,431
Okay, question for all of you sane, intelligent, non-literal Christians who keep commenting about not knowing *any* Christian who believe the Earth is only 6K years old, and saying that you`re certainly saner and smarter and more intelligent than that mess. Why are you against homosexuals? Why do you cherry pick one verse out of Leviticus and spout it as your reasoning to discriminate against homosexuals, yet, you`re okay with the world being less than 6K years old? More hypocrisy, if you ask me. *That`s* why it`s important (imho) to keep right on bashing. Go Fancy!
0
Reply
Female 68
Wow, the caption was unnecessary, I`m sorry. I`m a strong Christian bio anthropology major who happens to believe the earth is millions of years old. We aren`t living in the 19th century anymore, we`ve disproven what Bishop Ussher calculated, can we move on now?
0
Reply
Female 247
Clone It! Clone it! Clone it!...
0
Reply
Male 3,255
@CrakrJak

"Mere Coincidence?"

Yes.

0
Reply
Male 17,511
"The bible can`t be taken literally. When it says he made the world in 6 seven days, it does not mean 6 days of 24 hours. It could be 6 days of 5,000 years or something."

Agreed, What is a "Day" to God. All we know is that a new "Day" is the beginning of one time period and the end of another.

3 eras of time on earth; Hadean, Archean, Proterozoic; Plus the 4 divisions of the latest one, Phanerozoic; Paleozoic, Mesozoic, Cenozoic & Present Day; Equals 7.

Mere Coincidence ?

0
Reply
Male 3,255
"Why do they allow stupid captions like that? It just sparks stupid religious debates for no reason."

Umm, speak for yourself? I happen to enjoy the hell out of those "stupid religious debates."

0
Reply
Male 472
@danddpony-

Are you joking?

I really don`t know because some christonuts can be that stupid sometimes.

Yes of course when the bible says a day it actually means ~833 years *sarcasm*.

0
Reply
Female 54
oh please... how do we know its not just a shriveled up baby elephant?
0
Reply
Male 6
the bible is a bunch of bullpoo on paper
0
Reply
Male 70
40,000 years old? Uh oh, someone better check the accuracy of radioactive carbon dating again and recheck their numbers.
0
Reply
Male 64
@Wiredtobits

...nice.

0
Reply
Female 80
I don`t know if anyone said this already or not, but I`, too tired to read all the comments so I`ll say it.

The bible can`t be taken literally. When it says he made the world in 6 seven days, it does not mean 6 days of 24 hours. It could be 6 days of 5,000 years or something.

0
Reply
Male 894
i dont see what a baby mammoth has to do with the bible... *rolls a joint*
0
Reply
Male 47
@ROK9 except that if you are interested and even slightly mathematically competent you can go to the bother of STUDYING science, with the aim of LEARNING in order to facilitate UNDERSTANDING, things like carbon dating. No amount of bible-ing will make me into a god, but proper reading can make one a scientist.

By the way, if you judge all things which you are ignorant about to be equivalent you`re in for a boring experience of life

0
Reply
Female 3,828
mammoth pic = awesome.
religious discussion not so much.
0
Reply
Male 1,815
Why do they allow stupid captions like that? It just sparks stupid religious debates for no reason.
Oh, and they found that mammoth like 3 years ago, so wtf. Everything about this link is just screaming suck
0
Reply
Male 101
Why can`t christians just laugh at themselves... I laugh at myself all the time... Mostly because I suck, but also because I suck..
And honestly, you shouldn`t get to pick and choose facts from the bible just to make yourself comfortable with the fact that you`re going to die, and when you do, nothings going to happen.
0
Reply
Male 1,834
ha ha ha carbon dating is like religion you have to believe what experts say with out being shure yourself if they are correct or not. so im my oppinion science is a religion that some people choose to follow just like any other
0
Reply
Male 716
Oh come on people... stuff like this bible-bashing may popularize you for a while, but it leads to a slow death.

Just shut up. Believe or disbelieve in whatever you want... just stop going after people who think differently. It`s annoying and half of us want to put you through a meat grinder for it.

0
Reply
Male 5,189
I hate to admit it as well but seems like a lot of bashing recently. This is one of the few sites I visit cuz this one saves me the trouble of surfing to find good stuff. But...come on!
0
Reply
Male 40,728
@Dr.Kitty & Maddog gtfo if YOU don`t like associating with people who display a modicum of respect for others! Go back to 4chan which I hear is full of d*cks like yourselves.
IAB now means "Ingnorant Athiests Bashing [Christians]"
0
Reply
Male 1,153
"It would have been absolutely perfect without any stupid heading.
It`s so unnecessary."

Your mums so unnecessary

0
Reply
Male 490
Oh c`mon, IAB.

It`s an interesting finding, and, just for the heck of it, you have to bash Christians in the process?

It would have been absolutely perfect without any stupid heading.
It`s so unnecessary.

0
Reply
Female 104
when I was introduced to this site 4 or 5 years ago it was awesome. I agree with Lionheart. it has definately gone down the drain. And whatever with the religion bashing my problem is with how un necessary it is. Really old mammoths automatically = the bible? I dont think so.
0
Reply
Female 4,225
hehe, this is from an old post but meh

The Field Museum has the specimen and I am going to be seeing it soon so I`m actually pretty excited

0
Reply
Male 430
Le sigh. Enough with the religion bashing already. Maybe we should change the website to
I-am-bored-and-hate-Christians.
0
Reply
Male 650
Same here actually. 5 years ago IAB had 25 links a day, of which I found about 20 clickworthy, and it kept me entertained for about 2 hours a day.

Then we replaced half or more of the links with tired old funny pictures, which I DO find amusing sometimes, but hell, I can find them everywhere on the web.

Then we started constant religion bashing just for the hell of it.

Now we click on one of the 2 or 3 interesting posts left per day, and we get advertising shoved down our throat instead.

Mod or not, I`m not sure how much longer I`ll be here. IAB is about 3% of the site it was when I first joined.

=========================

My thoughts exactly. Its really gone down the drain.

0
Reply
Female 2,044
I completely agree with lionhart. I don`t mind the religion bashing, but the site doesn`t entertain me as much as it used to..
0
Reply
Female 1,043
same with lionhart.
0
Reply
Male 9,305
In the end, it doesn`t seem to be of any sense to argue where we came from. The more important matter is what we`re doing now that we are here.
0
Reply
Male 2,033
Uh oh, someone release the lions, the Christians are restless again.
0
Reply
Female 895
*yawn* old news.
0
Reply
Male 806
wow...not bad
0
Reply
Male 3,255
@ppassion

"Does Fancy have nothing better to do than bash religions and the Japanese?"

Yes. It wouldn`t be as fun around here if he didn`t. Now run along, church wont wait for ya!

0
Reply
Male 10,440
Lionhart2 > I don`t think IAB was ever that great.

Get ABP.

0
Reply
Male 10,440
[quote] Fancy have nothing better to do than bash religions and the Japanese? [/quote]

I guess he doesn`t, but I`m fine with that.

0
Reply
Male 311
V what lionhart said
0
Reply
Male 7
I have to agree with the other comments. This site used to be a good distraction with funny links and pictures, but now it seems that the posts are marked pushing the anti-religion agenda. To paraphrase this site `Why you so prejudice IAB?`
0
Reply
Male 346
lol fancy hate time.

Calm down people, its really not a big deal. So the guy hates religion, your not gonna change his mind. The best thing you can do is not click it, cuz guess what? Everytime you refresh the page to read the comments your giving this page more hits, and thus more money. stop supporting the things you hate.

0
Reply
Male 33
dick-ass
0
Reply
Male 8,300
> ppassion
> Seriously thinking of forgetting this site

Same here actually. 5 years ago IAB had 25 links a day, of which I found about 20 clickworthy, and it kept me entertained for about 2 hours a day.

Then we replaced half or more of the links with tired old funny pictures, which I DO find amusing sometimes, but hell, I can find them everywhere on the web.

Then we started constant religion bashing just for the hell of it.

Now we click on one of the 2 or 3 interesting posts left per day, and we get advertising shoved down our throat instead.

Mod or not, I`m not sure how much longer I`ll be here. IAB is about 3% of the site it was when I first joined.

0
Reply
Male 7,830
sad, it died so young.
0
Reply
Female 695
Seriously, Fancy?
Why do you thrive so much on religious bashing when it`s not even called for. Jesus. You`re among the kind of people who give atheists a bad rep.

In any case, I`ve seen this before, and it`s very cool.

0
Reply
Female 104
I completely agree with the COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY description on this one. Does Fancy have nothing better to do than bash religions and the Japanese? Running out of things for the site must be getting to him. Seriously thinking of forgetting this site.
0
Reply
Male 162
You know this site was a 1000 times better without the drating religious commentary. There exists a stance called neutrality and most of the related sites out there use it.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
Also, from all of the info I`ve found the mammoth was estimated to be around 10,000 years old, so Fancy your not helping yourself seem intelligent by posting belligerent descriptions and not bothering to check out the facts. You`re pretty much a dick on this one.
0
Reply
Male 1,162
oh poo, this mammoth is satan come back to trick us into disbelieving god! Everyone pray!
0
Reply
Female 1,604
wow this is such old news the learning channel or discovery channel or one of those kinds of stations had a documentary on it months ago
0
Reply
Female 1,112
I have to agree, that the description of this post is unnecessary. It could have been an interesting thing to look at, but when you use it to attack religion for no apparent reason other than to provoke, it`s more like a trolling website than IAB. It`s uncalled for really.
0
Reply
Male 224
yea bashing religion is pretty low for any website. let`s wait for him to start bashing races too. He`s already started with the Japanese.

I see the new KKK homepage here.

0
Reply
Male 4,745
"Bring me my cloning tools Ma!"
0
Reply
Male 46
If you dont like what it being said, GTFO of the convo christians... Hate on Fancy all you want, pretty sure w/out him we would not have this fun christian bashing site
0
Reply
Female 9,572
I couldn`t said it better myself chunckymonkey.
0
Reply
Male 214
old news
0
Reply
Female 179
um, I dont get this! I mean the mammoth is cute, but I dont know if I should be offended by the description...I feel retarded
0
Reply
Male 669
"When did IAB become a fun place to bash Christianity? "

Since fancylad became a f*cking non-nice individual who thinks that EVERY christian is a bible thumper with no scientific knowledge at all. Obviously fancy is running out of things to post on iab, so he has the daily christian bashing post so he can amuse the atheists. Putting an ignorant anti christian caption for a non christian related post is an all time low for iab.

0
Reply
Male 987
@DuckBoy87
Thats great :)
As long as we can advance science and society in an efficient manner, I`m cool with whatever you believe.
I only don`t like it if you impede scientific discoveries or force people to do things.
0
Reply
Male 987
@han5nah
Why? That kind of attitude causes wars. I prefer to stay minimalistic and agnostic.
0
Reply
Male 176
"Why bash christians?

Well...religion is like a house of cards. If you knock enough cards down, the whole house falls.

Science keeps knocking those cards down but christians refuse to admit that the house is falling! "

Well put. The problem I find with religion is the fact that it`s unfalsifiable, rendering arguing over religion useless. The fact that people can easily state that "God did it" or "God put fossils on Earth to test our faith" is dumb.

It is equivalent to me saying that our decisions are told to us by an invisible leprechaun on our shoulder. He can`t be detected in any sort of way. You can`t prove me wrong? How dandy --> let me go start my leprechaun religion.

I love science :D

0
Reply
Male 242
>I`m writing my 300`d comment! Yay! Mammothpizza for me!

You mean, 300th? No pizza for you until you study.

0
Reply
Male 3,645
I`m a Christian (Catholic to be precise) and I know a lot of Christians. I know none that believe that the Earth is 6k years old, nay, even under a million years old, or at least none that are open about it.

And none of them spout nonsense about passages that are "taken out of context". The Christians I know are actually sensible, and realize that the times the bible are talking about were cruel, harsh times.

0
Reply
Female 444
I`m writing my 300`d comment! Yay! Mammothpizza for me!
0
Reply
Male 3,369
Why bash christians?

Well...religion is like a house of cards. If you knock enough cards down, the whole house falls.

Science keeps knocking those cards down but christians refuse to admit that the house is falling!

0
Reply
Male 424
I thought it was the people who submit the content who choose what`s written underneath.

And was is pretty tounge and cheek.

0
Reply
Female 735
you know what? i LIKE bashing Christianity. : ) *BASH BASH BASH!!!*
0
Reply
Male 601
Yeah...there is no reason to take a stab at Christianity with this post. Shame on you Fancylad.
0
Reply
Male 1,011
Hmmmmmmmm fancy = fail
0
Reply
Male 1,764
Blatant attempt at trying to spark a religion flame war... C`mon IAB, you can do better, at least be more subtle...
0
Reply
Female 157
When did IAB become a fun place to bash Christianity?
0
Reply
Male 112
If your lost or confused.
This is a baby mammoth found in Siberia, I think it was frozen over and that`s why its almost perfectly preserved.
its old news because it has been around since 2007, I havn`t heard about it in ages. they were talking about recreating the mammoth species.
0
Reply
Female 1,545
1) This is at least three years old.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6284214.stm

2) The Christian-bashing is old.

I-am-over-it. :|

0
Reply
Male 72
The reason people take stabs at christians is because you guys are ALWAYS getting butt-hurt over it. Its like the bully in school. Don`t let it affect you, and he`ll go away.
0
Reply
Male 311
people seem to forget that religion=/=fundamentalists
0
Reply
Male 2,056
hold on, if this is old news, i`ve missed something

can someone give me a link or something to fill me in?

0
Reply
Male 553
thats not a mammoth, its too small
0
Reply
Female 354
Old news.
0
Reply
Female 365
Creepy smile mammoth...
0
Reply
Male 10,338
I am:

1.Christian
2.Someone who agrees that this could be a mammoth baby that is 40,000 years old.

0
Reply
Male 86
Also, I like DrKitty`s name :D
0
Reply
Male 86
Dude... this was on National Geographic like... 39 thousand years ago...
0
Reply
Male 1
Oh man
0
Reply
Female 531
"why must religion be brought in to every thing on I-A-B"
it`s just the internet in general. get over it of gtfo.
0
Reply
Male 15,510
"1. Isn`t this old news?"

Its a 40,000 years old news

0
Reply
Male 562
1. Isn`t this old news?
2. Okay, we get it. Atheists rule, Christians drool. Get over it.
3. ???
4. PROFIT!!
0
Reply
Male 239
@KittenCereal

I`m guessing the only christians you know are the ones on street corners holding signs. That`s too bad.

0
Reply
Male 2,344
so umm all I want to know is when the burgers will be done?
0
Reply
Female 96
"See, now why do you have to take something that is purely cool, and has nothing to do with religion and make a stab at Christians?

Not every Christian is some crazy, hardcore bible thumper, you know."

Because it`s fun.

And it`s very rare, that last part. VERRRYYY RAAAARE.

As in, not true. *tehehehe* I did it again, iab!

That`s not true. I`m a Christian, I know a lot of Christians, and I know maybe one or two people who believe the world is only 6000 years old or so.

0
Reply
Male 264
"See, now why do you have to take something that is purely cool, and has nothing to do with religion and make a stab at Christians?

Not every Christian is some crazy, hardcore bible thumper, you know."

yeah, the caption was in poor taste, the pic was interesting in its own right. i`d like to know what exactly they are using that grid for.

0
Reply
Female 956
"See, now why do you have to take something that is purely cool, and has nothing to do with religion and make a stab at Christians?

Not every Christian is some crazy, hardcore bible thumper, you know."

Because it`s fun.

And it`s very rare, that last part. VERRRYYY RAAAARE.

As in, not true. *tehehehe* I did it again, iab!

0
Reply
Female 2,674
D`aww he thinks he`s an elephant :):)
0
Reply
Male 522
why must religion be brought in to every thing on I-A-B
0
Reply
Male 1,182
drating politically correct pussies
0
Reply
Male 174
Only creationists believe the earth was made in seven literal days. Obviously the earth is much older than 6000 whatever years... disappointed in you fancy
0
Reply
Female 531
"Looks like a regular elephant baby to me, but what do I know?"
I`m sure the ears are too small to be a baby elephant.
0
Reply
Female 531
earth** i meant to say earth -_-
0
Reply
Male 174
Everything was created is 7 creative days... not literal days.

eg "Back in the day" "The days of our forefathers"

0
Reply
Female 531
no no, i went to a creation museum and they corrected me. According to "our science" we think the early is so many billion years old. But "their science" has shown that the earth is only 6k years old. True story.
0
Reply
Female 96
See, now why do you have to take something that is purely cool, and has nothing to do with religion and make a stab at Christians?

Not every Christian is some crazy, hardcore bible thumper, you know.

0
Reply
Male 4,680
I`d love to see cloned mammoths roaming the Siberian taiga forests one day...
0
Reply
Male 2,033
Obviously Satan planted that baby mammoth to make you question your faith. It is the only logical answer.
0
Reply
Male 2,148
Fancy, that`s just uncalled for.

I`m an atheist, but putting bible poo in the caption here doesn`t make sense. If other 40,000 year-old poo they found didn`t prove anything to Christians, this won`t, so why even mention it?

0
Reply
Male 1,091
Looks like a regular elephant baby to me, but what do I know?
0
Reply
Female 491
Aww flat trunk. D:
0
Reply
Male 25,416
looks like a elephant! but it could have lost its fur!
0
Reply
Male 73
Hmm....
0
Reply
Male 328
awwww....?
0
Reply
Male 5
This was in National Geographic last year, and as I recall they had some drawings of how this one died. Mammoths are not submarines...it won`t make that mistake twice.
0
Reply
Female 449
I sense a religious debate coming. Those few religious freaks that come on here are gunna be pissed off about this... lmao
0
Reply
Female 34
Wow..... looks old hahaha
0
Reply
Male 302
That`s just an elephant that had a boulder fall on it.
0
Reply
Male 1,764
Clone it!
0
Reply
Male 20,901
Link: Found 40,000-Year-Old Baby Woolly Mammoth [Pic] [Rate Link] - 40,000 years old? Uh oh, someone better read their Bible again and recheck their numbers.
0
Reply