You Know His Name Wasn`t Jesus Christ, Right? [Pic

Submitted by: fancylad 7 years ago in Misc

An I-A-B Sunday School lesson...
There are 118 comments:
Female 914
why lightingbug, do I smell the Christianity?
0
Reply
Male 499
I tried making this arguement to my religion-teacher in gradeschool...

Boy, she told me...

0
Reply
Male 230
finally someone speaking some sanity. I have been trying to tell people this for years and they just call me a sinner or spawn of Satan. Its funny how little people actually know about there religions ( the truth that is)
0
Reply
Male 181
killmetwice - atheist or not, you can`t say Jesus was a "normal person". He was either the world`s greatest salesperson/con, exactly who he said he was, or a completely fictional character. He`s the head of a major world religion, no matter which of the three is true - hardly "normal".
0
Reply
Female 356
HOLY JOSH!!!
0
Reply
Male 301
LOL...FLCL FTW! Plus this kid fails on another level. Christ isn`t a last name. His name wasn`t Jesus Christ any more than Patton`s first name was General.
0
Reply
Male 1
Pizza Boy, I agree that you should try to use a spellchecker, it would make your argument that much stronger. I would also advise proper punctuation. You also didn`t destroy his argument.

His argument was as follows: "It is blasphemy to use the Lord`s name in vain (unstated), and the Lord was not named "Jesus Christ" as commonly accepted. Therefore it is not blasphemy to say "Jesus Christ."
His argument however suffers from the fact that it is improperly formatted.
The format was basically: a is b, b is not c, so c is not a. I could say "it is a crime to commit arson, burglary is not arson, therefore burglary is not a crime."
An argument is bad if the form is bad. His form was bad, so his argument was bad.

0
Reply
Male 1,190
Following Xianity and you will be lost.

2000 years of Evil, Death and Destruction.

0
Reply
Female 9
Pizza boy, you really should learn to spell if you`re going to try to prove anyone wrong. It makes you look really bad. I laughed at your post more than that awesome picture though because you really suck at spelling. By the way, its THEORY not THEORIE.
By the way, saying "Jesus Christ" is not taking "the lord`s name in vain" because Jesus was just a normal person, not some holy figure that saved mankind. You can`t be the son of something that is non-existant. I love the bible though, it`s truly a fictional masterpiece.
0
Reply
Male 440
i`m a christian, and this is funny. lol.
0
Reply
Female 459
Tommy D is stooooooopid for spelling it like that. :P Pizza boy isn`t because he`s like the (counts) 5th Christian on I-A-B. EVERYONE LEAVE US ALONE.
0
Reply
Male 2
wow Pizza Boy. You`re stoooopid!
0
Reply
Male 4
ok some smart ass made a theorie to make people laught well im going to destroy that theory:

even IF Jesus is not is first name "Christ" was never used as a last name, he is THE Christ, meening "son of gon" or something like that.
enyway his name is Jesus of Nazaret it might not be his real first name but it`s how we refer to it thus making it a blasphemy AND using "Christ" in vein is a blasphemy, like is you`d say "DAMN POPE, I hit my small toe"

there now the guy looks even more stupid... and I look neardy+christian... anyway this is one of the WORST relegions there is!

0
Reply
Male 91
cool...
0
Reply
Male 451
@issathefiend
pretty sure calling someone an asshat makes you one too. It is not very Christian either.
0
Reply
Female 248
ahahaha suck it
0
Reply
Female 1,798
To piggyback off of ajkopp:

Historically, Jesus Christ was a real man--he was an apocolyptic preacher who followed John the Baptist, and there is no proof that he was divine/holy, or really was the son of God--he was just another preacher. He tended to stay away from big cities because no one there believed his words, and when he spoke to farmers he made simple analogies they could understand (like comparing faith to a mustard seed).

There is really no proof he was the "son of God"--but that`s where faith comes in.

0
Reply
Female 4,197
He thought too much into that
0
Reply
Female 2,352
:3 I love how religion turns you guys into ass hats at the drop of a hat!
0
Reply
Female 2,352
I have no idea how factual this is but. . smartass.
0
Reply
Female 4
A friend of mine was just discussing the topic of Christ with me. She said her belief is that Mary was not an actual virgin but a woman who claimed herself virgin again as a way to repent for her sins. We have come to think that Jesus did have a biological father, probably Joseph or some other dude who left before he was born but why should that mean God isnt his Father? It kinda makes sense that by him being the son of God doesnt mean literally, but how we all are "His children". I know I have a blood father but Ive never really known him so sometimes I tell people that "God is my only father". Jesus was a very spiritual/religious man (obviously) and maybe it was just that he had devoted his life to serving God, which made him holy and pure. And then after ages of playing telephone with the meanings of the words in that old history book, people might have exaggerated the actual meaning a little bit. It would make the Bible still true to its word, just misunderstood
0
Reply
Male 1,793
Religion is fun isn`t it, and it`s just the nutjobs that believe in it that are scary. Anyone that would kill or blow people up because of a story is scary... CASE CLOSED! Amen
0
Reply
Male 4,004
66stang, is it so impossible that God can extend his holy penis and unload his Jesus juice inside Mary? Of course he told her "This never happened" So He hath said it, so His will be fulfilled, she was a virgin again.
0
Reply
Female 48
msieg007..... and you`ve never met a believer, trying to sell people fairy tales, who`s a douche bag?
0
Reply
Male 2,034
Why do athiests always come off as douchebags?
0
Reply
Male 8,300
> 66stang
> to continue the charade she paid 3 men to come and give gifts to him

When you`re stupid and ignorant, shut up so other people won`t know. What 3 men are you referring to? The Bible says "wise men from the East", it never mentions 3 of them, and since they were probably Chinese kings (since the Bible says it took them two years to get there), there were probably hundreds of people in their retinue.

> Then when jesus was old enough to think

Well he was approaching 2 when they got there, most kids are thinking well before that.

0
Reply
Male 225
jesus was real, its the invisible man who he said was his father that wasnt. You see mary had sex with some random guy, got pregnant, and told Joe she`s never had sex before, so to continue the charade she paid 3 men to come and give gifts to him (probably with sex as she was poor you know). Then when jesus was old enough to think she told him he must be the son of God because she never had sex with anyone and yet he was here.
0
Reply
Male 928
A better point would be that no one should have to obey the absurd injunctions of someone else`s religion.
0
Reply
Male 703
So, Christ is a title, as in, THE Christ, same as THE Buddha was not Siddhārtha Gautama`s name. Jesus, Joshua, and Emmanuel are all names associated with him, depending on translation and meaning.
0
Reply
Female 1,283
[quote]madness...this, is SPARTA!!![/quote]

This is SPARTA!!!
This is SPARTA!!!
This is SPARTA!!!
This is SPARTA!!!
This is SPARTA!!!
This is SPARTA!!!

Madness?
Madness!!
Madness?
Madness!!
Madness?
Madness!!
Madness?
Madness!!
Madness?
Madness!!
THIS IS SPARTA!!

This is SPARTA!!!
This is SPARTA!!!

This is SPARTA-TATA-TATA!!!
(SMACK!)

0
Reply
Male 833
"Wait, people still believe he was real?"

I know right?

0
Reply
Male 1,013
Joseph wasn`t his dad either. JC is technically a bastard making Mary either an unfaithful wife or having a child out of wedlock... It sounds really bad, but that`s how the bible depicts that situation.
0
Reply
Female 3,828
LOL awesome
0
Reply
Male 8,300
This is an IDIOT standing in front of a blackboard where he is trying to look intelligent, but proving his own moronic lack of knowledge on the subject instead.

Firstly:

Jesus (Yeshua) means in Hebrew "salvation". There are two common translations of the name, based on meaning rather than sound:

"You will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son, and shall call his name Jesus; that is, “God saves”. (Luke 1:30-32)

That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet [Isaiah], saying, “Behold, the virgin shall be with Child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel,” which is translated “God with us.” (Matthew 1:21-23, citing Isaiah 7:14)

Secondly, no-one had surnames back then; Christ is not a surname.

"We have found the Messiah, which is, being interpreted, the Christ." (John 1:41)

"I know the Messiah, the Christ, comes." (John 4:25)

0
Reply
Male 699
madness...this, is SPARTA!!!
0
Reply
Male 914
christ denotes his resurrection . "jesus", in whatever language or description denotes the man before resurrection. just saying. all hail Simon Magus!
0
Reply
Male 716
Jesus was real.

However, the matter of his divinity is still questioned. Some believe him to be wholly divine, some divine and human, some a prophet, and some just a human.

Christ, may I also add, is derived from the Greek for "Messiah".

0
Reply
Male 335
Wait, people still believe he was real?
0
Reply
Female 1,283
Heureux
"BrimstoneOne is a myth."


Rofl...then again, am I >.> ???
You only see pixels in the replacement of me.

0
Reply
Male 312
This is blasphemy! This is madness!
0
Reply
Female 1,283
I`m sorry for my mouth, but what a drattard.
First, history error. It`s Yehoshua, not "Yeshua."

Though, what bugs me is that he is saying that language has a theology to it.
It just is. If you say "Jesus", then you`re probably thinking of the dude who died on the Cross.

0
Reply
Male 8,300
> BrimstoneOne
> "Jesus Christ" is a myth, like Thor and Hercules before.

Except for the undeniable fact that he was a real person who actually lived. Whether he was the Son of God is a matter of faith, but your historical ignorance and stupidity are astounding.

0
Reply
Male 1,054
BrimstoneOne is a myth.
0
Reply
Female 465
It`s only blasphemy if you believe you`re referring to the person you think you`re referring to, i.e., the Son of God. So, since most people believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, it IS blasphemy. Nice try, though.
0
Reply
Male 2,229
"Jesus Christ" is a myth, like Thor and Hercules before.
0
Reply
Female 9
http://survivingtheworld.net/Lesson579.h...

Did we never learn to cite our finds? Especially when the original picture has the citation right there for you?

0
Reply
Male 10,855
Good luck with that assertion buddy.
0
Reply
Female 407
who.cares.
0
Reply
Male 12,365
[quote]That practice came about in the middle ages, a bit after Jesus/Josh`s time. I think Jewish people were only forced to get surnames when they came to Europe.[/quote]

It was formalised in the middle ages, primarily to make taxation easier to impose. Jews ~2000 years ago did refer to lineage, though. In a formal context, something like `Yeshua, son of Yosef` would fit well enough, which would sort of be Jesus Josephson in English.

Incidentally, the picture is wrong. `Jesus` is not a Greek translation of Yeshua. It`s an English mistransliteration of a Greek transliteration of a Hebrew name, possibly passing through Latin on the way.

Also, `Christ` is a title ("anointed one") and that`s also a transliteration (from Greek to English). It has nothing to do with anyone`s name.

My stab at an English version:

Yeshu the Anointed.

0
Reply
Male 3,425
...Does it really matter? I don`t see the point in arguing over such stupid things - if people want to be religious, and worship Jesus or whatever his name is, let them. It`s not like they`re doing any harm. Making a big deal out of something as pointless as semantics of the name "Jesus" just seems like a petty attempt to annoy people.
0
Reply
Male 678
guy looks really stoned!
0
Reply
Male 559
My name in english is Michael. In Mexico it`s Miguel. In Russia, it`s Mikhail. Either way, it`s the same name. So, wheather you call him Jesus, Joshua, Yashua, or the Prince of Peace, unless you are refering to him, then you ARE taking his name in vain. However, this rule only refers to Christians, Jews and Muslims who follow the old Testimate. (Yes, all three use the same book, just with diferent names.) As Christians, using Jesus name in vain is just like Calling God`s name for no reason. Any other religion (Buddah, Hindu, etc) has no rule of using their dietys name in vain. Ten Commandments are aimed soley at followers of the God of Moses, Abraham and Adam. That means Musliims, Jews and Christians.
0
Reply
Male 43
Now do a "funny" taking the piss out of Mohammed, Mahmoud, Mohummad.... and post your home address.

Then I`ll laugh, when you check under your car each morning, you godless pooe ;-)

0
Reply
Male 1,505
Just a thought, because Joshua in Spanish is Josue (pronounced ho-sway) and not Jesus, wouldn`t this mean there`s a lot of Mexican guys walking around with the wrong name?
0
Reply
Female 472
simonh92: His surname would probably be Josephson in modern day times, since then they were named "Son of (father`s name)"

That practice came about in the middle ages, a bit after Jesus/Josh`s time. I think Jewish people were only forced to get surnames when they came to Europe.

0
Reply
Female 299
lolz, Christ means "annointed one". He was called that because God sent Him to sacrifice Himself. It was His calling or annointing.
0
Reply
Female 1,181
it`s all a bunch of nonsense anyway. anything longer than minute spent debating this crap is retarded.
0
Reply
Female 5,222
XD
0
Reply
Male 15,510
Here we go again!
0
Reply
Male 4,290
Interesting, but not hugely surprising. My name`s not really almightybob either.
0
Reply
Male 25,416
Silly!
0
Reply
Male 7,830
all true, his name would have been "yeshwa ben joses" and if you believe in the virgin birth you might actually call him "yeshwa ben yahweh" because people were known by their first name (in this case yeshwa) and "son of" (ben) and their fathers name (joses or yahweh).
0
Reply
Male 102

"Francakes:
>make fun of rapping small girls
>rapping small girls
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHmjqjU8a...


wow blkstallion thanks for taking my joke :)

0
Reply
Male 4,546
Yeah, the more interesting one is the one he failed to elaborate on:

Christ comes from the Greek "Christos" (Spelled incorrectly, my Ancient Greek isn`t great) which means "Anointed One" or "The Messiah".

Basically it`s a title. It`s not a name. "Jesus the Messiah".

However, here`s the thing. A name is anything by which something is called. Most people can`t pronounce Baalthazaq properly (Bael tha za(arabic qaf)) or my real name ((Glottal stop) m r) doesn`t mean they`re not talking about me.

Basically, he is called Jesus. That is his name. It wasn`t his name in the 1st century, but it is now. (Unless you`re Muslim, in which case he is called Easa).

0
Reply
Female 38
Francakes:
>make fun of rapping small girls
>rapping small girls
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHmjqjU8a...
0
Reply
Male 601
I think all forms of humor are acceptable as long as they are intended to poke-fun at something, and not be derisive. This guy wasn`t trying to be derisive so I have no problem with it.
0
Reply
Female 497
Touche!
0
Reply
Female 9,572
I knew this for a while now.
0
Reply
Female 54
yay smarts!
0
Reply
Female 68
<<<Can we make jokes with Muslims, Buddhists, and Jew content please. I`m feeling a little picked on these last few weeks.>>>

Jesus was Jewish (If he actually existed).

0
Reply
Male 1,834
oh jesus
0
Reply
Male 1,086
yay i is learning
0
Reply
Male 3,915
you`re at the wrong website francakes...=/
0
Reply
Female 157
MildCorma: I`m not sure if that`s what you`re really trying to say. I just hate it when people make that statement "it`s humor" for like a lot of good reasons. I didn`t really mean to single you out. And I`m a rather tolerant person when it comes to stupid jokes.
0
Reply
Female 157
MildCorma: of course it`s humor. Making a joke IS a type of humor. You`re not going to win any smart points for stating that. But you will win douche bag points for telling people that just because it`s humor it`s ok. With that logic let`s make fun of rapping small girls. It`s humor and not disrespectful or ignorant at all.
0
Reply
Female 301
haha my friend would quite appreciate this
0
Reply
Male 121
i don`t care
(=`,`=)
0
Reply
Male 21
haha take that religion.
0
Reply
Female 696
YAY fun! =D
0
Reply
Female 157
Can we make jokes with Muslims, Buddhists, and Jew content please. I`m feeling a little picked on these last few weeks.
0
Reply
Male 496
@ urban legend

WAAHHHH WAHHHHHH WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WAHH WAHHHH it -is- humour so stop crying

0
Reply
Male 122
Jesus stole my name! I already knew this when I was finding out the history of the name Josh.
0
Reply
Male 610
clatterclaws, jesus the christ sounds like winnie the pooh
0
Reply
Male 740
the guy looks really proud of himself and his attempt of humor
0
Reply
Male 3,014
Ruswut on donkey stilts!
0
Reply
Male 1,265
I think it`s ok to blaspheme if it`d make jesus laugh, like "Jesus Christ on a pogo-stick!"
0
Reply
Male 2,690
What Pui said. And [email protected] :)
0
Reply
Male 74
Christ was the title. Not the last name. So, technically, it`d be Jesus the Christ.
But it doesn`t matter, it`s like arguing over Star Trek.
0
Reply
Male 527
While I don`t agree with the conclusion (the intent to blaspheme is there, even if the name is wrong), I find the name bit interesting.
0
Reply
Female 3,574
His actual name is not important, the point is you`re supposed to be respectful towards Jesus/Joshua/YHWH/whatever you want to call Him.

Arguing this precisely is just silly, lol.

0
Reply
Female 15,763
Too bad they didn`t have birth certificates back then, then we could straighten out this whole matter.
0
Reply
Female 106
"Jesus is the anglicized of the latinized of the Greek of the Hebrew of Yeshuah. It`s complicated. Like saying my name is Mike, but in Spanish its Miguel, and in French its Michelle, etc. Christ is anglicized from the Greek `Cristos`, which means Messias, or Messiah, the Anointed One. It`s a title attached to his name. So, yes, it IS taking the Lord`s name in vain, and breaking that commandment. Smarty-pants."

but if someone yelled "Hey, Michelle!" you wouldn`t turn round and look at them

because its not your name

Smarty-pants.

0
Reply
Male 3,255
It`s just a tongue-in-cheek observation, godfags. Don`t get your panties in a bunch.
0
Reply
Male 1,297
all i hear on these threads is "duhduhduuuuh"
0
Reply
Male 91
theres actualy a really great explination for all of this: Christ comes from Chritos meaning `the anointed one` and Jesus was used because generaly people in the ancient world couldnt read and if Joshua was used there would be two of them in the bible so they used the greek adaptation Jesus
also the Iranian prophet Zorasters real name is Zarathushtra but the religion is still Zoroastrianism
0
Reply
Male 1,403
lovin the sox hat

and the *interesting* religion lesson

0
Reply
Male 256
only a douchebag in a boston sox hat would think like this
0
Reply
Male 129
And I guess His name would have really been, not Yeshuah ben Yosef, but Yeshuah ben YHWH, as He is the Son of God.
0
Reply
Male 129
Jesus is the anglicized of the latinized of the Greek of the Hebrew of Yeshuah. It`s complicated. Like saying my name is Mike, but in Spanish its Miguel, and in French its Michelle, etc. Christ is anglicized from the Greek `Cristos`, which means Messias, or Messiah, the Anointed One. It`s a title attached to his name. So, yes, it IS taking the Lord`s name in vain, and breaking that commandment. Smarty-pants.
0
Reply
Male 2,748
HAAAAAA that`s awesome
0
Reply
Male 97
So taking an American adaptation of a foreign name automatically removes its identity? Wow, what twist of logic.
0
Reply
Male 1,452
who is this guy with the chalkboard and the lulz?

btw I heard that Yeshua Ben Yosef is jesus`s real name

0
Reply
Male 1,219
Christ is a title, no?
0
Reply
Female 3,574
It is true. It`s more about the heart of it than actually not taking his actual name in vain... but yeah, technically true.
0
Reply
Male 193
His surname would probably be Josephson in modern day times, since then they were named "Son of (father`s name)"
0
Reply
Male 302
He doesn`t sound as holy when he`s called Josh.
0
Reply
Male 3,255
Prime, wtf, you speakin in tongues?
0
Reply
Male 230
It`s not blasphemy Christ means Messiah, calling him Jesus Christ is just like calling him Jesus the Messiah.
0
Reply
Female 295
>3>
0
Reply
Male 383
Woah D:
0
Reply
Female 245
I like this wise guy :)
0
Reply
Male 2,551
If only I had thought that when others got annoyed at me for saying it. Well, I guess at least I can now. MUAHAHA.
0
Reply
Male 7,933
This guy is starting to sound like google translator.
"Yeshua, spelled יֵשׁוּעַ (Yēšūă‘) or ישוע in Hebrew was a common name among Jews of the Second Temple Period, and is thought by some scholars[1][2] and religious groups[3] to be the Hebrew or Aramaic name for Jesus. In modern Hebrew, Yeshu (ישו) and Yeshua (ישוע) are in fact the common transcriptions for Jesus."

I liked the effort though

0
Reply
Male 3,255
Heh, cool, I didn`t know any of that.
0
Reply
Female 1,077
if this is true, that`s really interesting.
0
Reply
Male 238
lawl, Joshua...
0
Reply
Male 5,314
very good to know
0
Reply
Male 20,901
Link: You Know His Name Wasn`t Jesus Christ, Right? [Pic [Rate Link] - An I-A-B Sunday School lesson...
0
Reply