More Retarded Facebook Philosophy [Pic]

Submitted by: Fancys_Asst 7 years ago in Tech

God... homeless preacher... same difference.
There are 245 comments:
Male 21
i think its wird tha all homeless preacher`s live close to univeritys
0
Reply
Female 3
Damn, this person is a failure who has nothing better to do in his life other than praise god on Facepalm, yet tries to convince others to be losers too.
0
Reply
Male 675
I`m Catholic and I believe that -evolution- was God`s way of -creating- the life that is in existence today. Nowhere in the bible does it say that it was 6 days of 24 hours, nowhere does it say that we -didn`t- evolve. So how can it be sacrilegious to believe in something science has proven a fact?
The bible was not written with the finger of God, it was written by man. No one knows who wrote the book of Genesis, no one knows where it really came from, so how do we know the story of creation wasn`t just written by some fruity hermit who lived in a cave?
Think of all the contradictions the bible holds. What about the time Jesus blessed the bread and fish to feed the people to have their fill, and yet later he says "woe to those who are filled"? The bible`s not perfect, neither is man, and neither are you, so loose the pretentious attitudes, you`re not earning holy points by being sour to your fellow man just because he doesn`t agree with you.
0
Reply
Male 6
...so if its okay for god to do that, then why is it bad when i line up all my lego guys and have them bow down to me?
0
Reply
Female 76
Actually Mischief is right, I am very much an atheist, but i do know for a fact that Jehovah`s witnesses are christian, they believe in Christ so much when they offer a prayer they do it in the name of Jesus Christ.

I recommend you get your facts straight and not judge based on what they told you or what you heard but to actually see for yourself because otherwise you are nothing bot a mindless drone instead of having your own opinions.

0
Reply
Male 764
How has it ruined their lives?
0
Reply
Female 250
TOM IRBY. Lookin that up.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
I don`t. not only have they been sucked into a ridiculous religion that rules their lives in bizarre ways, but they`re gonna harass me about it too?
0
Reply
Male 764
If you want o know about them pick up a watch tower and read it and it has a lot of direct references to the bible in every passage they are very much christian as a matter of fact, the reason they go door to door preaching is because its an effort to be as Christ like as possible and go make disciples of them just as he did.

Even though they get made fun of yelled at, not getting paid they feel its the right thing to do so they go out and do it and I have a lot of respect for them.

0
Reply
Male 74
Makes you feel pretty pointless, huh?
0
Reply
Male 2,748
@Farside,
I think you need to show a little more respect. I don`t appreciate the name calling and implying that i was analy raped by a priest. That was just low and immature. How about we act our age. Since someone who is "21" can`t have a decent debate with a 17 year old, I`m out. Oh, and drat you. Now we`re even. Have a nice day.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
Eat poop hey? The reason I use commas.
0
Reply
Male 1,918
"god" made us to eat poop and have babies
0
Reply
Female 914
lol at the Tom Irby dude.
0
Reply
Female 1,283
Mischief, not to be a stickler, but a Jevohah`s Witness?
They aren`t even Christian (i.e. New Testament) since it revolves around Jesus forgiving our sins >.>
0
Reply
Male 764
@ Bumblebee the only explanation I can give is the one I believe its very long so I`ll keep it short by saying you can study the bible if you really want questions to all your Christian questions ask a Jehovah`s witness they give free bible studies and are always willing to answer questions.
0
Reply
Male 285
Oh joy, it`s THIS argument again.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
studentofman...if that was meant to be as condecending as I think it was... you prefer I sit around and watch The Hills maybe?
0
Reply
Male 345
I think I know who just got into college with all their shiney words. Good for you! You`re big boys and girls now and can spend all hours of the day discussing theology. Good for you I say.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
ok, so that brings me to another question. why did god stop revealing himself to the world in such obvious ways? Why did he at one point seem to think it was neccessary to expose himself in the most flamboyant ways possible, and now he is nowhere to be found? At least in the plague sort of red sea parting, every animal x2 on an arc sort of way.
0
Reply
Male 764
Yes you`re right I mean I don`t think God still punishes today. All that punishing that took place was BC and in each case BC he gave warning he was going to destroy them if they did not do a certain thing.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
"On a side note, questions like the justice of God, although I am intellectually convinced on how natural disasters and such can coexist with God, I am always emotionally unconvinced (Haiti, 911, Tsunamis, etc.)."

Well than we`re way of base aren`t we. Besides I said before my concern is mainly with the damnation of people not givent he chance to be advised by the bible.

Oh and am I completely wrong or did God not punish the egyptians by killing their innocent children?

0
Reply
Female 1,112
"I think the similarities between logic and God are important enough to make that analogy, and the differences between logic and God does not refute the analogy. They are both immaterial or conceptual by nature, they are independent of the physical world for existence, but their manifestation to the physical world does not have a bearing on its existence. The fact that logic can be defined this way and that God can be defined another way, or better yet, math can be defined this way and art can be defined that way doesn`t preclude their analogies."

This is a bunch of crap. I`m sorry, but your run around on words is just confusing manipulation to make a point that isn`t there. Whatever similarities you might acertain, they have nothing to do with the specific way in which your comparing the two.

0
Reply
Male 18
Mercedzdanz, there is NO definition of Atheist which states GOD DOES NOT EXIST. The ONLY definition of Atheist is the literal meaning, "Without Belief". Being an Atheist simply means that you do not believe in any higher power as illustrated by religion.
0
Reply
Male 18
Mercedzdanz, I doubt you are intellectually convinced of anything. I don`t think you`re stupid because you`re a Theist, I think you`re stupid because you make claims such as the comparison between God and Hitler which led to your conclusion that if the existence of suffering leads us to believe God does not exist, or at least not a benevolent God, we must also conclude that since Hitler caused suffering he can not have existed.
0
Reply
Male 97
"God chooses to kill innocent believers to control population?"

I didn`t say that.

On a side note, questions like the justice of God, although I am intellectually convinced on how natural disasters and such can coexist with God, I am always emotionally unconvinced (Haiti, 911, Tsunamis, etc.).

0
Reply
Male 97
"Again, no it`s not. Logic is method of thinking and problem solving, while "God" is a conceptual being who`s "rule" over the masses is not to be contested as stated by the bible. You are trying to make comparisons between unlike things."

I think the similarities between logic and God are important enough to make that analogy, and the differences between logic and God does not refute the analogy. They are both immaterial or conceptual by nature, they are independent of the physical world for existence, but their manifestation to the physical world does not have a bearing on its existence. The fact that logic can be defined this way and that God can be defined another way, or better yet, math can be defined this way and art can be defined that way doesn`t preclude their analogies.

0
Reply
Male 764
Idk read around theirs different teachings I don`t believe god kills thousands of people in the name of justice.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
decrease in mortality rates.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
"The justice of God, to be honest with you, is the toughest aspect of God. Also, to only describe God as kind and fair, although is necessary, but not sufficient to describe God. God, by definition is also just. The thing that helps me, and you can just simply disagree with me on this, is that theists believe that death is not the final outcome. You can probably at this point think of the Marxian definition of `opiate of the masses` to control the population, etc. But that explanation does not necessarily preclude the existence of God."

This in itself is conflicting, because it implies that God makes judgment without reason. I am not a believer but I live, and live well despite God. God chooses to kill innocent believers to control population? That doesn`t even make any sense since "God" has been "killing" innocents for thousands of years, and only in the age of industrialization and medical advancement our population has boomed, with a decrease in mor

0
Reply
Male 764
Well mercedzdanz based on your example of david hoping to be reunited with his son the plausible answer all depends on what teachings you believe, and the answer to your question BumbleBB
0
Reply
Female 1,112
"Ok, it`s also like saying. Logic is used to justify killing millions of innocents, therefore logic is not real. Logic is not physical, it is immaterial."

Again, no it`s not. Logic is method of thinking and problem solving, while "God" is a conceptual being who`s "rule" over the masses is not to be contested as stated by the bible. You are trying to make comparisons between unlike things. You`re not really a lawyer are you? If you are, you are robbing people of their hard earned money, because you clearly do not understand how to make appropriate analogies and logical comparisons.

0
Reply
Male 97
"No it`s not, because Hitler was physical man. He was here. It`s a fact. God is a faith. The God concept also purports that he kind and fair, so yes the killing of innocents raises issues for me. It`s sort of conflicting don`t you think? It`s not a fallacy."

Ok, it`s also like saying. Logic is used to justify killing millions of innocents, therefore logic is not real. Logic is not physical, it is immaterial.

The justice of God, to be honest with you, is the toughest aspect of God. Also, to only describe God as kind and fair, although is necessary, but not sufficient to describe God. God, by definition is also just. The thing that helps me, and you can just simply disagree with me on this, is that theists believe that death is not the final outcome. You can probably at this point think of the Marxian definition of `opiate of the masses` to control the population, etc. But that explanation does not necessarily preclude the existence of God.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
A common fallacy that atheists like to assert is that they deny the existence of God because the "Judeo-Christian concept of God does not meet their expectations. They will ask questions like, I don`t believe in God because God is a murderer of innocents. It`s like me saying, I don`t believe in the existence of Hitler because he committed such atrocities"

No it`s not, because Hitler was physical man. He was here. It`s a fact. God is a faith. The God concept also purports that he kind and fair, so yes the killing of innocents raises issues for me. It`s sort of conflicting don`t you think? It`s not a fallacy.

0
Reply
Female 1,283
Lol, I just mixed everything up.
Aluminum compounds, they screw up your mind more than you think.
0
Reply
Female 1,283
Ah, I mixed up what Davy said.
Please disregard all my comments until further notice ^^

I`m gonna sleep now.

0
Reply
Male 97
We also hear of John the Baptist being filled with the Holy Spirit from the womb, which is only given to believers.

A common fallacy that atheists like to assert is that they deny the existence of God because the Judeo-Christian concept of God does not meet their expectations. They will ask questions like, I don`t believe in God because God is a murderer of innocents. It`s like me saying, I don`t believe in the existence of Hitler because he committed such atrocities.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
"This sort of segways into your question BumbleBB, and if anything, we know that Scripture teaches that condemnation is based on the clear rejection of God`s revelation--whether general or specific--not simple ignorance of it. Luke 10:16; John 12:48; 1 Thess. 4:8."

I have more concern with the ignorance of sin. Is this not a problem?

0
Reply
Male 97
"Out of curiosity which bible version and verse are you claiming says all babies are born Christians?"

I`m not dogmatic about this issue because this is a pretty "sticky" gray issue in the Bible. Passages like Second Samuel 12:23 shows that David wanted to be with his dead baby and expects to be reunited with him. We know that David was a believer and united with God. Admittedly, this is less than stalwart.

Also, Matthew 18:1-6, and 19;13-15 affirms Lord`s love for them.

This sort of segways into your question BumbleBB, and if anything, we know that Scripture teaches that condemnation is based on the clear rejection of God`s revelation--whether general or specific--not simple ignorance of it. Luke 10:16; John 12:48; 1 Thess. 4:8.

I would have to refer you to a minister of the faith.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
you think we`re genetically programmed to be Christians? Mines broken.
0
Reply
Female 1,283
Mmm...murder ball.
Not saying that there`s a void of intelligence, but that there can be a DNA strand that says "Hey, you`re Christian", as with the school of thought on homosexuality.
0
Reply
Male 764
mercedzdanz
0
Reply
Female 1,112
mischief who are you asking?
0
Reply
Male 764
Out of curiosity which bible version and verse are you claiming says all babies are born Christians?
0
Reply
Female 1,112
I kinda figured about the Nihilism thing, but what was that about Descartes? By blank slate are you assuming Davymid means void of intelligence? It`s pretty obvious that we`re born smart and with instinct, but there is absolutely nothing beyond speculation that we believe in a greater power at birth. I think it`s natural to believe in something beyond yourself. I, for example, growing up in an atheist home (though I would have had no idea.) imagined that all the planets made up a great big huge guy and the tree`s were the hair on him. Doesn`t make sense, but it comforts us in times of loneliness to believe we are part of something bigger. It can easily be seen as an adaptive advantage of species that is so intelligent, it becomes depressed when it cannot find a solution, and invents a reason to continue. Advance the Species. My motto.

I know you`re just kind of randomly tossing balls here, but you`ve sort of unwittingly entered a game a murder ball. Just a heads up.

0
Reply
Male 12,138
[quote]There are many supernatural things in the Bible that seem contrary to the naturalistic explanation that the scientific method offers... However, keep in mind that if you adhere to the view that the naturalistic explanation is omniscient and the sole arbiter of truth, you have presumed it and defined out any supernatural explanation.[/quote]

Seriously, are you high?

0
Reply
Male 764
Babies are not born christian in any of the the christian denominations or Catholicism.... the purpose of baptism`s and christenings are?
0
Reply
Female 1,283
Mm, yea, lemme gather my ramblings together lol.

The first comment about the Nihilist was just rambling.

The point I`m trying to make now is that there`s the possibility that we aren`t born a clean slate. Such as with genetics.
Though, I know next to nothing about the science of genetics, so I`m just throwing it out.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
"I believe in that statement because I believe it reasonably follows from the Bible, which I hold as an authoritative source of the truth. There are many supernatural things in the Bible that seem contrary to the naturalistic explanation that the scientific method offers."

BUT WHAT ABOUT MY EXAMPLE OF PEOPLE NOT EXPOSED TO CHRISTIANITY!?!?!?! Someone please address it.

0
Reply
Male 97
"I`m not trying to get at anything, bub. I`m trying to point out how retarded your statement of "I believe babies can be born Christians" is."

I believe in that statement because I believe it reasonably follows from the Bible, which I hold as an authoritative source of the truth. There are many supernatural things in the Bible that seem contrary to the naturalistic explanation that the scientific method offers. My biggest point is probably that if you presume the view that everything can only be explained naturalistically, then yeah, it is rubbish to believe that babies are born as Christians. However, keep in mind that if you adhere to the view that the naturalistic explanation is omniscient and the sole arbiter of truth, you have presumed it and defined out any supernatural explanation.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
shrekshavik.... I`m not sure what point you were trying to make? can you clarify?
0
Reply
Female 1,283
Davymid, Rene Descarte would disagree with you.

Though, in irony, the belief that we were not born as a blank slate led to genetics.

So, before you throw the "r" word, don`t discount anything as retarded because it contradicts your view.

0
Reply
Male 12,138
[quote]If you want to define atheism as "blank slate," then go on ahead. If so, then your claim "we are all born atheists" follows. Further, I agree that environment plays a role in your religion, but we both know that`s not what you`re trying to get at.[/quote]

I`m not trying to get at anything, bub. I`m trying to point out how retarded your statement of "I believe babies can be born Christians" is.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
Luniz...you`re never going to get that, because the whole premise of religion is blind faith, and most people with faith will tell you that. I just want them to clear up the contradictions that cause a conflict in my moral fiber.
0
Reply
Female 1,283
Mmm...good point.
0
Reply
Male 587
I would like to see proof that god exists. The bible is not proof it was written by man and does not prove anything.
0
Reply
Male 587
I would like to know how that is faulty since most religion is instilled in people at an adolescent age, most people just do not grow out of the fairy tail
0
Reply
Female 1,112
"Atheists who make this argument claim that this argument demonstrates that man is not God-made but that God is man-made. In other words, they claim that we only believe in God because someone taught us to believe in God, often during childhood before we were able to consider the claim rationally. Yet, this claim is faulty on many levels."

What levels?
Also, what about my question?

0
Reply
Female 1,112
No because the participation in the conversation is contrary to the ideology of Nihilism.
0
Reply
Male 97
@davymid

In part this is incumbent upon which definition of atheism we are employing. Obviously, we are not born positively asserting God’s non-existence. Thus, the claim is that we are all born lacking a belief in God. Logically, this claim is accurate only at this point and is actually not successfully applicable beyond this point.

If you want to define atheism as "blank slate," then go on ahead. If so, then your claim "we are all born atheists" follows. Further, I agree that environment plays a role in your religion, but we both know that`s not what you`re trying to get at.

Atheists who make this argument claim that this argument demonstrates that man is not God-made but that God is man-made. In other words, they claim that we only believe in God because someone taught us to believe in God, often during childhood before we were able to consider the claim rationally. Yet, this claim is faulty on many levels.

0
Reply
Female 1,283
Davymid is a believer of Tabula Rusa XD.

Wouldn`t it be more accurate to say we`re Nihilists in that line of thought?

0
Reply
Female 1,112
"Even if it were true that people are born atheists and not theists, it would have no bearing on whether or not atheism is true, and ultimately have no bearing on actual truth. For example, if infants are born without the knowledge of airplanes, that has no bearing on the validity of airplanes."

i just need this one question answered for me. Christianity was never a religion that ruled the entire world. In fact it`s following was initially a pathetically small portion of Europe until an egomaniac who`s narcissism rivaled "God" forced the masses to conform. So what about the people who are born into cultures where there is no knowledge of the Christian God? Where they do things like practice polygamy and cannibalism. Are these people just unfortunate enough to be doomed to eternal damnation? Never given a chance to be "right" in Gods eyes? How can this happen?

0
Reply
Male 12,138
I give you THIS for your consideration.
0
Reply
Male 12,138
[quote]> Me: "Atheism is simply the default starting condition. No baby was ever born Christian, or Muslim, or Hindu."

> You: Why do you presume atheism is the default? Just because you believe so doesn`t mean it is so. I believe babies can be born Christians. Like how you say you believe babies are born atheists, I believe I have the right to say babies can be born Christians.[/quote]

Excuse me for a second... *takes off Mod hat, dons regular user hat*

Are you actually retarded? So a baby born in Saudi Arabia, Mumbai, or a village in the Serengeti is born Christian? No, they`re born atheist, they`re blank hard drives, they don`t belive anything until they`re indoctrinated with whatever religion they get surrounded by.

You statement is one of most f*cking retarded things I have ever witnessed. And believe me, I see more retarded sh*t than most, on a daily basis. Jesus. (no pun intended)

0
Reply
Male 4,793
"If god is omnipotent, why does he need us to serve him? (I always forget that part)"

cause if he does exist he is an evil greedy bastard :D

0
Reply
Female 1,283
Dear Vegas,

No.

Sincerely,
Skresh

0
Reply
Male 762
I could have told everyone exactly where farsidedown`s argument would lead him. He starts out making scientific claims about the bible. It turns into an issue of debating religion on scientific term which there is no evidence and then he just resorts back to the faith argument.

If you are always going to fall back on a faith argument, don`t waste anyone`s time trying to argue religion/spirituality on any other grounds, because you cant. Instead you just concede small points that `nobody can disprove` and you regard this as evidence and a rationalization for your faith, because your faith isn`t really faith at all. It is a belief based on horrible horrible logic and evidence, or more aptly, quips.

0
Reply
Male 734
One of my favorite websites discussing the theory of God...

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

0
Reply
Male 734
" Likewise, just because belief/knowledge in airplanes is something that is taught does not mean that airplanes does not exists."

Here is where your argument falls apart. I can show you an airplane. I can show you a picture of one (not an interpretation of what one might be...an actual photograph of a real airplane), I can have you touch an airplane, sit in an airplane, fly an airplane, hell, I can even have you jump out of an airplane. The belief in "god" however requires faith. My belief in the existence of airplanes does not require faith as it`s appearance can be demonstrated and reproduced for others. Belief in a deity cannot be.

0
Reply
Male 2,229
Genesis is a lie, we, humans, where NOT caste out of the `garden of eden`, for the earth as a whole IS the "garden of eden"

And death is rather permanent after about 5 min. after one expires, so that kinda makes the "resurrection" a lie as well.

Religion as a whole needs to evolve, for all the preaching about `sin` and `salvation` from the early myth makers, are just that, MYTHS.

0
Reply
Male 1,013
If god is omnipotent, why does he need us to serve him? (I always forget that part)
0
Reply
Female 62
O - that`s why Jesus was a carpenters son!
0
Reply
Male 4,290
[quote]If Christians assume that infants can go to heaven, then we have to assume that infants are Christians from conception.[/quote]

That`s interesting. Aren`t all babies born into original sin, as Psalms 51:5 suggests?
Also, what about babies that are born into different cultures with different religions? Are they born Muslim? What about babies that are born into secular families? Are they just untapped Christians? If they stay untapped Christians their whole lives, shouldn`t they go to heaven just as a baby would?

And I nearly held in the laugh. It was so close.

0
Reply
Male 2,220
"This is what you people call an intelligent debate?"

Nah, you need intelligence on both sides to have a debate.. :)

0
Reply
Male 2,220
"Whenever a concept is introduced to a person, the person does something with that concept: believe, disbelieve, dismiss, etc. But, something is done and that something is a position held. "

Sometimes it takes a bit of torture and threats of eternal damnation.. But eventually the position holds... for a while.

0
Reply
Female 3,574
This is what you people call an intelligent debate?

and I like LOL-ing at you. All`s fair on the internet! :D

0
Reply
Male 7,378
"Just because belief in God is something that is taught does not discredit belief in God. It would be fallacious to claim that God does not exist because human beings invented the idea of God’s existence. Likewise, just because belief/knowledge in airplanes is something that is taught does not mean that airplanes does not exists."
----------------
Have you suffered some sort of brain trauma?
0
Reply
Female 3,828
o man big debate up in here. shoulda known.

when will i learn? you cant EVER say the word god around here without pages and pages of rants.

0
Reply
Male 97
@almightybob

"The point made is that no child has ever known of a god before being introduced to the concept by other people. No child has never said "Jesus Christ died for my sins" without being told so by a priest or their parents or whatever. So how can you claim they are born Christian when they`ve never heard of Jesus until they`re told?"

Thanks for your follow up questions, and I believe you bring up good points. Also, I thank you for not resorting to ad-hominems.

This is just my belief, and you can take it for what it`s worth. If Christians assume that infants can go to heaven, then we have to assume that infants are Christians from conception. This is a big field in Christianity called (don`t laugh) "paedofaith." It seems consistent with Biblical accounts, for example, John the Baptist was "filled with the holy spirit" at birth.

However, before you`re convinced of that, you must assume God exists, that God is the Christian God, an

0
Reply
Female 535
personally, i believe in the giant spaghetti monster that lives on the other side of the sun.
0
Reply
Male 97
Atheists who make this argument claim that this argument demonstrates that man is not God-made but that God is man-made.

Just because belief in God is something that is taught does not discredit belief in God. It would be fallacious to claim that God does not exist because human beings invented the idea of God’s existence. Likewise, just because belief/knowledge in airplanes is something that is taught does not mean that airplanes does not exists.

0
Reply
Male 660
"roosterroaches" ?!! = cxckroaches( Damn filter!)
0
Reply
Male 660
I just LOVE how evolution gets dragged up every time we talk about the existence/non-existence of God. Evolution is a fact. It`s not a theory. It can be shown without the need for God. The mechanisms which drive evolution are not perfectly understood but the evidence for it is overwhelming. It`s why we need flu shots each year; it`s why we can`t eradicate tuberculosis or even roosterroaches.
...and I`m just waiting for someone here to start talking about global warming and climate change in this thread. That seems to be the new religious battleground these days. I mean, how DARE we presume to think our actions can change the climate! They can; they have; they will.
0
Reply
Male 4,290
[quote]oh and almightybob1... yes if you accept anything you are an ist. If you identify yourself as a subscriber of a particular belief in a debate you are that plus ist. This is how language works. Now that you have been educated on the matter you may call your self a lingu... wait for it... ist![/quote]

They key phrase here is "in a debate". There is no debate within the scientific community that evolution happens as both theory and fact.
So I am not an evolutionist, any more than I am a gravityist, an Ohmist, a thermodynamicist, a Maxwell`s equations-ist, a Becquerelist, a Pythagorist (or should that be Pythagorasist? Just add -ist right?), a Faradayist etc etc etc.

0
Reply
Male 4,290
mercedzdanz - you assume that belief is subject to the will, and that someone can choose to believe or not believe. Did you choose to believe in God?
And your aeroplane analogy falls down because 1) nobody claims that children are born with knowledge of aeroplanes and 2) the existence of aeroplanes is not in question.

The point made is that no child has ever known of a god before being introduced to the concept by other people. No child has never said "Jesus Christ died for my sins" without being told so by a priest or their parents or whatever. So how can you claim they are born Christian when they`ve never heard of Jesus until they`re told?

0
Reply
Male 2,440
mercedzdanz, an infant hasn`t the knowledge to comprehend the concept of a god. The baby isn`t rejecting the notion of god, because the idea had yet to enter into the infant mind.

Atheism IS, at its basics, the lack of belief in god. That`s IT. Whether or the idea of god is rejected is up to the adult. Look at it this way: Let`s say there`s a society that believes in the Great Gshngihr. You happen to have never heard of such a being. With you having not even an idea of it, would it be right to say that you reject Gshngihr? No, you simply have no belief IN such a being. As an adult, one can both lack belief IN Gshngihr AND believe that it does not exist (given that you HAVE heard of Gshngihr).

Do continue commenting and showcasing your stupidity.

0
Reply
Male 97
The notion that atheism is not an open rejection of God, but a lack of belief in god(s) without rejecting Him is a meaningless statement because people who are exposed to a concept and then decide to "lack belief" in it are effectively rejecting the concept and, therefore, God. Whenever a concept is introduced to a person, the person does something with that concept: believe, disbelieve, dismiss, etc. But, something is done and that something is a position held. "Lack of belief" is a position of choice in this regard.

Even if it were true that people are born atheists and not theists, it would have no bearing on whether or not atheism is true, and ultimately have no bearing on actual truth. For example, if infants are born without the knowledge of airplanes, that has no bearing on the validity of airplanes.

0
Reply
Male 2,440
[quote]I believe babies can be born Christians. Like how you say you believe babies are born atheists, I believe I have the right to say babies can be born Christians.[/quote]

lol @ mercedzdanz and his incredible stupidity. You know what, I guess babies CAN be born with the thought that Jesus Christ of Nazareth was the Son of God sent down to pay the price for all of mankind`s sins. Actually, no, babies don`t think that. What to babies do? Could they simply be born without a belief in god? BINGO! Just like they are born without a belief in Santa, it`s taught to them.

0
Reply
Male 97
Right, and I`m waiting for the day where babies will think something to the effect of "there is no proof to suggest me that there is a supernatural being."
0
Reply
Male 916
@mercedzdanz
I`m still waiting for the day when new-born babies tell their parents adhering to religion A that they themselves actually belong to religion B, C or D.
0
Reply
Male 394
"I believe babies can be born Christians. Like how you say you believe babies are born atheists, I believe I have the right to say babies can be born Christians.

If you`re going to say because it goes against all of science, then my reply is why is science omniscient?"


*facepalm*

0
Reply
Male 97
"Atheism is simply the default starting condition."

Why do you presume atheism is the default? Just because you believe so doesn`t mean it is so.

"No baby was ever born Christian, or Muslim, or Hindu."

I believe babies can be born Christians. Like how you say you believe babies are born atheists, I believe I have the right to say babies can be born Christians.

If you`re going to say because it goes against all of science, then my reply is why is science omniscient?

0
Reply
Male 10,440
Farsidedown > Don`t expect too much from this site, I`ve been here a while and it doesn`t get better than this.
0
Reply
Male 421
@Nidonemo
Well I guess you can`t take it too seriously. A little wit is appreciated! But this felt more like running through a beehive for the most part. I expected better than some middle aged guy posting something like:

"Male, 18-29. 18 hopefully. If 29, is stupid."

...and absolutely nothing else to contribute to either side of the argument. (Hell he could have at least checked my profile and seen that I`m 21!)

But yes, this is IAB home of the slightly-NSFW. I probably shouldn`t have expected a ton more.

0
Reply
Male 10,440
Oh, and thanks IAB for labeling this a [quote] retarded Facebook philosophy [/quote], you`re all right!
0
Reply
Male 10,440
Christians are funny.
0
Reply
Male 9,305
I`d actually enjoy these debates if half our debating participants didn`t call each other names right off the bat and took the subject matter seriously.

...but then this is a site for bad tattoos, FBI-quality hard drive content, and games with balls.

0
Reply
Male 337
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh btw lol as well.
0
Reply
Male 421
"I mean that with genuine (I hope mutual) respect to all involved, including Farside"

Hells yeah! Give me the respect I C~R~A~V~E. Oh, and I guess I could throw a little back your ways...

0
Reply
Female 1,112
davymid kudos on keeping the intelligence level above the 70`s.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
Hey now let`s not disregard faith entirely. Faith gives people hope, unity, great things have come of faith. Believing in a higher power is what get`s some people through, and there is nothing wrong with that.

oh and almightybob1... yes if you accept anything you are an ist. If you identify yourself as a subscriber of a particular belief in a debate you are that plus ist. This is how language works. Now that you have been educated on the matter you may call your self a lingu... wait for it... ist!

0
Reply
Male 12,138
[quote]Before you know it, the whole world will have converted to atheism!!![/quote]

You can`t "convert" to atheism. You can only "revert" to atheism. Atheism is simply the default starting condition. No baby was ever born Christian, or Muslim, or Hindu. We`re taught how to be that way by our parents, society and religious leaders. Atheism is vanilla.

________

Second point, Pui, don`t be an arse with your "I LOL @ you guys" and your popcorn-munching. Some of us here at IAB enjoy getting into these interesting, intelligent debates (I mean that with genuine (I hope mutual) respect to all involved, including Farside). Maybe you`d prefer to see a site full of comments like "ROFLcopterz!, LOL!, I agree, F1RsT, and REPOST!", but I for one value IAB for what it is. And the engaged users don`t like to be LOL`d at for standing up and expressing their beliefs, whatever they may be.

0
Reply
Male 421
woho! did somebody get butthurt by a priest back when he was younger? faith is built around the belief that there is something more than just this existence, and that we are part of some bigger plan, and that maybe when we die there`s something more. I choose to believe that, as do many others, and yes, some do out of stupidity. That`s just inevitable.

The point you completely missed was that it doesn`t work as a point of argument against atheist because they don`t believe in it, just as saying "prove god exists" isn`t gonna work on christians because they do. The word "done" did not cement either of these arguments, just as it didn`t cement your anger laced comment just now.

0
Reply
Male 2,748
Ok. For the sake of debate then. I find it HILARIOUS that you make and poke fun at me when trying to prove a point.
DUDE, what is faith? Faith is what allows people to excuse ignorance and blind stupidity when they can`t find the answer to something. I can`t explain how that works... so it was OBVIOUSLY a big dude in the sky that we can`t see, touch, or have a conversion with. Yea, do you see the problem with that? DONE.
0
Reply
Male 8,302
> Keegan31
> If I made you a sandwich that was 96% poo, would you call it a ham sandwich?

You must work at my local McD`s, because THEY do.

0
Reply
Male 421
"To all those who say you can`t prove evolution or creationism... prove that god exsists/exsisted. DONE."

I`m sorry this is too funny to pass up on...

DUDE. Your debate skills are so pro, you should drop that one on everybody! Before you know it, the whole world will have converted to atheism!!! And the "DONE" part just cements it at so solid, there`s no way anyone could argue with it!

Here, let me try!

Faith. DONE.

What, why didn`t it work?

But anyways, you might want to learn how to spell exist first...I pass typically on mispellings for the sake of speed, but really?

0
Reply
Male 2,748
haha, but you see, that is the exact same thing. Nothing can be proven or disproven. I personally choose not to believe because i want to see proof. I don`t believe that we came from monkeys. But science has proven natural select... which is basically evolution. And im sorry... I dont think Adam and Eve were the first people, i mean, what the hell happened to the dinosaurs???
0
Reply
Female 3,574
*popcorn*
0
Reply
Female 3,574
Prove that he doesn`t.
0
Reply
Male 2,748
To all those who say you can`t prove evolution or creationism... prove that god exsists/exsisted. DONE.
0
Reply
Female 387
I love Tom`s response :P
0
Reply
Female 3,574
I lol @ all of you.
0
Reply
Female 3,574
~*the edginess continues*~
0
Reply
Male 15,510

0
Reply
Male 1,455
"Both nuclear science and gravity can be observed and laws explain them. That`s fine.

What I can`t observe however is the origins of man which is what evolution is trying to explain, and I also have never heard of someone observing monkeys turning into people over the course of generations, or anything in between, so how can it be called a law? It`s a theory with partially proveable segments to it."

Observed does not mean `seen in real-time with my own two eyes`. Evolution has been observed to occur through the fossil record.

And, as any high-school biology student can tell you, you don`t prove theories. You can`t. There is no way to conclusively prove that a theory will apply at all times and at all places in the universe- science does not claim absolute truth. If you want proof, take a math class. Science deals only in evidence, and the appellation of theory indicates that there is a boatload of evidence in its favor and not a bit of contradictory data.

0
Reply
Male 3,310
You should serve God. Like, take him a sandwich or something, beotches. Or rather, you can devote every waking second to following his word. Because He used to talk to people, and tell them what He wanted. He just doesn`t do that anymore. So we got to trust the old dudes` books. But that`s cool cause I like totally believe they actually spoke to God. That doesn`t sound crazy or anything.
0
Reply
Male 675
So... God made us because he has an ego problem?
0
Reply
Male 421
I`m sorry a lot of people apparently missed my point here (I`m not trying to disuade any of you from your beliefs. They`re your own and I`m fine with that. And I`m not gonna try to debunk evolution as anything less than a theory...somebody much more intelligent than myself would have scientifically done that years ago if it was possible.)

I`m also sorry for going back when I said I wouldn`t post anymore, but I wanted to clear a few things up.

I`ve relatively enjoyed posting on IAB, even the arguments, but if people are going to be "asshats" and act all hostile (including a mod...way to set an example!) and tell me to kill myself because of my beliefs (btw, I don`t go to church or even pray...it`s just a very mellow set of values), I can just go back to 4chan, where all the mature people who hate goatse are.

0
Reply
Male 907
Hmm. I hope 2012 does happen and I survive. Then I can create my own stupid religion and have 40% of the world follow it.
0
Reply
Male 38
Male, 18-29. 18 hopefully. If 29, is stupid.
0
Reply
Male 421
Ok then...I regard in evolution in the same category as String Theory. Hypothetical, so it`s unproven (whereas, if you want to call gravity a theory it falls under the factual category, but falls apart at the subatomic level, at least from what we can tell). There is undeniable evidence in support of evolution but I draw the line and view it more as adaptation in response to environmental stimuli.

If you want I`ll change my statement to "I disagree with the possibility that we came from the same line as apes." I linked the image as it was the first to pop up on google images, and I thought it funny that it was a simplified kids version and fit the situation.

Oh and the earth isn`t a perfect sphere. It`s an oblate spheroid. Suck on that. But of course I must be making a bunch of idiotic points because my IQ is that of a complete retard, yet I scored a 2170 on the SAT four years ago. Surely a teenager who still watches Invader Zim must know better.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
actually a fact is something that is understood to no matter what be incontestable. Nothing can prove it wrong. Theory and Laws can be proven wrong. A Law is considered true until it is proven otherwise.
0
Reply
Male 70
lol davy
0
Reply
Male 1,190
2010 and we are debating science vs death cults, so much for advancement.
0
Reply
Male 12,138
vv To be fair though, we share about 65% genetic similarity with fruit flies, and about 50% similarity with a cabbage...
0
Reply
Male 228
We`re Monkeys. The human Genome is 96% identical to a chimpanzees. If I made you a sandwich, that was 96% poo, would you call it a ham sandwich?
0
Reply
Male 4,290
[quote]My fellow evolutionists. Theory and Law are 2 distinctly different things. They regard different degrees of plausibility. Evolution is not 100% if it were it would move beyond both theory and law to become fact. Let`s not be bullies.[/quote]

bumbleBB, you need to do some reading too. A fact is not some level-up of a theory or law.
Also, what`s with the "evolutionist"? If I accept that V=IR would you call me an Ohmist?

0
Reply
Male 4,290
If you really want to learn Farside, here are some things for you to study:
- difference between theory and fact in science
- evidence for evolution (Google "observed instances of speciation" to get started)
- difference between evolution and abiogenesis
- logical fallacies, notably argument from ignorance

That should straighten out a few of the biggest problems.

0
Reply
Male 4,290
It makes me laugh when people like Farside make assertions about science.
Farside - even people who agree with you would be embarrassed by the arguments you`re putting forward here.
Answers in Genesis, a Christian apologetics group, have a list of common arguments creationists should not use. Please read them. You should at least learn what creationist arguments have been repeatedly debunked before trying to argue it. All the arguments you proposed have been repeatedly shot down. They`re simply not right. Even your side admits it.
0
Reply
Male 14
So how about that global warming?
0
Reply
Male 8,302
> bumbleBB
> Ok ok ok the debate degraded here and turned into name calling.

Holy Drat, that`s unusual for a religious post on IAB!

0
Reply
Male 174
arguments on the internets never result in anything except for frustration and people become more entrenched in their own views.

that is all. bye

0
Reply
Female 449
Damn I-A-B, dont tell me the debate ended when I was just getting into it.
0
Reply
Male 215
Let`s sacrifice him to our Gods!!!
0
Reply
Female 449
Agnostic speaking here. vvv
0
Reply
Female 449
@Farsidedown: I know the word is kinda over-used nowadays... but you sir, are the epitome of FAIL. Go find some church and devote your poor misguided mind to worshiping something which you cannot, and never will understand.
Certainly, if evolution is ever proved wrong... We as human could never comprehend something which has created the Earth... So life ur damn life and dont waste pecious hours worshipping something which wont ever listen to you.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
Ok ok ok the debate degraded here and turned into name calling. My fellow evolutionists. Theory and Law are 2 distinctly different things. They regard different degrees of plausibility. Evolution is not 100% if it were it would move beyond both theory and law to become fact. Let`s not be bullies. It won`t get you anywhere.
0
Reply
Male 174
Problem is, there have been numerous studies done which HAVE directly observed evolution in action. So often when someone defending creationism or `intelligent design` says that they have seen no direct evidence for evolution, it`s just because they`re selectively ignoring the research. Or are just too lazy to go read it.
0
Reply
Female 1,077
and when did we all start using italics? will someone teach me this witchcraft trickery?
0
Reply
Female 1,077
"Vindictive, I don`t think Farsidedown has an IQ higher than the number of toes he has."

-uses that line forever from now on-

0
Reply
Male 820
also, davy, your next post is your 6000nth one, make it count.
0
Reply
Male 2,440
[quote]a theory is on par with a law. a law is based on quantitative (ie. numerical) data, while a theory is qualitative (observed and proven through the use of the scientific method) data. both are accepted in the scientific community as being legitimate. i thought we all learned this in the third grade.[/quote]

Vindictive, I don`t think Farsidedown has an IQ higher than the number of toes he has.

0
Reply
Male 12,138
Farside, with due respect, every time you talk about evolution as being "monkeys turning into people" you embarrass yourself. I would suggest that if this is your understanding of evolution, then you`re not really in a valid position to be debating on the subject.

p.s. did he really just link an image from a kids` website advising how to do a science fair project as an explanation of Scientific Theory? I believe he did...

0
Reply
Male 215
Farsiededown reminds me of the futurama quote about the flood:

Gay Hippie: They called me crazy for building this ark.
Old Hippie: You ARE crazy. You filled it with same sex animal couples.
Gay Hippie: Hey, there are parts of the Bible I like and parts I don`t like

0
Reply
Male 4,680
Pictorial representation of this thread:
0
Reply
Female 1,077
"You can only partially prove it, so it remains a theory until you have 100% evidence."

a theory is on par with a law. a law is based on quantitative (ie. numerical) data, while a theory is qualitative (observed and proven through the use of the scientific method) data. both are accepted in the scientific community as being legitimate. i thought we all learned this in the third grade.

0
Reply
Male 2,440
[quote]There it is, broken down in it`s simplest form just for you! You can only partially prove it, so it remains a theory until you have 100% evidence. Calm down good sir![/quote]

No sh*t, Sherlock. You`re the asshat who thinks that one must have 100% absolute certainty of something to consider it a fact. The facts are these, Farsidedown: the evidence for evolution is overwhelming, as is the evidence of the Earth being a sphere. Good day asshat!

0
Reply
Female 1,077
this didn`t need to be a religious debate. i thought the snappy comeback was hilarious.
0
Reply
Male 820
[quote]What I can`t observe however is the origins of man which is what evolution is trying to explain, and I also have never heard of someone observing monkeys turning into people over the course of generations, or anything in between, so how can it be called a law? It`s a theory with partially proveable segments to it.[/quote]

Ok, so why do you believe in god?
did you see him make the universe?
why do you believe there was a global flood?
did you see that?

Also, it`s ape-like creatures that became human, not monkeys.

0
Reply
Male 421
(cut off) ...you have a problem with me believing in God? wtf!

Oh, and just because I caught it...

Tart:

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fa...

There it is, broken down in it`s simplest form just for you! You can only partially prove it, so it remains a theory until you have 100% evidence. Calm down good sir!

Same to you BB! Happy V-Day!

Alright NOW I`m done!

0
Reply
Female 141
Justin has brain damage.
0
Reply
Male 2,440
[quote]What I can`t observe however is the origins of man which is what evolution is trying to explain, and I also have never heard of someone observing monkeys turning into people over the course of generations, or anything in between, so how can it be called a law? It`s a theory with partially proveable segments to it.[/quote]

Farsidedown, you fail epically.

0
Reply
Male 2,440
[quote]My point was that many were arguing that evolution is fact (when it`s only partially true...what I call adaptation to an environment you call full blown monkeys turning into people)[/quote]

Evolution is both a theory AND a fact, you moron. Read a goddamn biology book for once.

0
Reply
Male 421
Two last points I didn`t catch.

"Also, you shouldn`t provide evidence that is actually incomplete and not evidence, but hypothetical. I don`t have a problem with faith on the whole. I just have a problem with people trying to pretend faith is science, and trying to prove science is wrong with faith."

I agree, it isn`t a science, and I`m sorry if I ever made it appear that it was.

And @ catbarf:

Both nuclear science and gravity can be observed and laws explain them. That`s fine.

What I can`t observe however is the origins of man which is what evolution is trying to explain, and I also have never heard of someone observing monkeys turning into people over the course of generations, or anything in between, so how can it be called a law? It`s a theory with partially proveable segments to it.

and finally Mornaf:

what did you expect? I didn`t ask you to try to prove evolution to me and I have no problem with you believing it, yet you have a problem with me believin

0
Reply
Female 1,112
Mornaf... he had a point. Concede the little wins, because it gives you more credibility in the end.
0
Reply
Male 2,440
[quote]But when your proof against Christianity is evolution (a theory-not a law-it can`t be entirely proven according to the scientific method) then I`ve got to make a point.[/quote]

Farsidedown, that statement alone shows your ignorance of the scientific method. F*ck your asshattery.

0
Reply
Male 820
[quote]But of course now it`s broken down into kids going, "Yeah? Prove God exists!"...which is just stupid.[/quote]

oh, sorry I don`t see how perfectly intelligent it is to believe in an all-powerful being who can read minds.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
Happy Valentines Farsidedown. I don`t think your an unreasonable person. I can`t keep anyone calm lol. And neither can you on that side of the fence, but I`m glad we waded through the poo for a while and ended up where we did. MUSHY MUSHY WORLD PEACE BLAH BLAH. Good night my friend.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
Jaded. Your name says it all. I debate, because every single time without fail I learn something. I might not change minds or solve the worlds problems, but I always discover something I didn`t know before.
0
Reply
Male 3,014
"Jews suck!... well, I don`t think any Jews died from my statement, so STFU, videogamer."

Actually, that statement probably reduced our size by at least half a percent. I should sue you for causing large, irreparable damage to my religion, you little Hitler youth.

0
Reply
Male 421
Wow, all of you guys are going nuts. There`s too many crazies to argue with all at once. My point was that many were arguing that evolution is fact (when it`s only partially true...what I call adaptation to an environment you call full blown monkeys turning into people) You can believe it`s true, I got no problem with that.

But when your proof against Christianity is evolution (a theory-not a law-it can`t be entirely proven according to the scientific method) then I`ve got to make a point.

You don`t see me going, "Evolution isn`t true, because of creation!" I was only saying that you cannot concretely prove it, and thus was merely drawing parallels between both of our dilemnas.

But of course now it`s broken down into kids going, "Yeah? Prove God exists!"...which is just stupid. Sorry BB, I was having fun (I really think it turned into a cool little debate and was good practice for me), but you`ve got to calm your people down. I`m done here.

That said t

0
Reply
Female 779
Why does everything religious lead to a damn debate!! Get over it, its old.
0
Reply
Male 2,440
[quote]On that note, we Jews should get added protection from similar libel, since a single, well-placed remark could spell the end of Judaism.[/quote]

Jews suck!... well, I don`t think any Jews died from my statement, so STFU, videogamer.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
HERE HERE videogamer!
0
Reply
Female 1,112
I just don`t understand how that is more sane? Just because you don`t understand it? I don`t understand how god could create something from nothing. Tell me how he did it so I can see the more sane and understandable side this debate.

Also, you shouldn`t provide evidence that is actually incomplete and not evidence, but hypothetical. I don`t have a problem with faith on the whole. I just have a problem with people trying to pretend faith is science, and trying to prove science is wrong with faith.

0
Reply
Male 3,014
Personally, I don`t think Christians have the right to get offended by any statements against them. They`re already the most influential religion in the world, and that`s not going to change for at least another few centuries, so what`s a few bad words?

On that note, we Jews should get added protection from similar libel, since a single, well-placed remark could spell the end of Judaism.

It`s not hypocrisy. That which is already the most powerful does not deserve further protection.

0
Reply
Male 2,440
[quote]"Wheres your evidence of a god?"

Where`s your evidence that there isn`t a God?[/quote]

Ummmmm, welcome to the 21st Century, Farsidedown. That`s not how the f*ck we advance. Thanks for holding us back.

0
Reply
Male 1,455
"No it`s not, that was dumb."

They are just as strong because they deal with different phenomena.

Fact: An observed event.

Law: Observation of a process. Laws describe facts and make predictions regarding them, but do not explain how or why the facts occur.

Theory: An explanation of a process. Theories can never become law, nor are they ever `proven`. They can only be demonstrated to be accurate in a variety of circumstances and scenarios, and are ideas that have never been found wanting. If they are ever discarded, it will be because they are replaced with a more accurate model that yields the same results in the existing scenarios the older theory was used in.

Evolution, gravity, and nuclear theory are all theories accepted by the scientific community and supported with large volumes of evidence. Denying that speciation occurs is like denying that nuclear bombs function.

0
Reply
Male 820
[quote]"Wheres your evidence of a god?"

Where`s your evidence that there isn`t a God?

I have faith, is that not enough for me?[/quote]

Good god I was hoping you wouldn`t use that.
not because it wins, but because that is just a stupid argument.
here,

I AM A GIANT FLYING TURTLE! I HAVE ADAPTED TO USE THIS CLEVER COMPUTER AND TYPE THIS!
Now, proof I`m not. I have faith I am, isn`t that good enough?

now doesn`t that just sound stupid?
The burden of proof does not rest on atheist shoulders.
it rests on you, and your religion.
until you find proof, I will continue to believe your god is fiction.

0
Reply
Male 12,138
[quote]I have evidence that God may have gone and dropped a ton of water on us.[/quote]

Sticking to this flood thing for a second- Weil is mostly publicised through the website "Green Prophet" which includes among it`s affiliates The Alliance of Religions and Conservation, Green Zionist Alliance, and The Evangelical Ecologist. Not exactly what I would call an impartial scientific institution.

Besides, there are many more researchers that say the area flood of the Danube Delta which you speak of to be more like 2000km2, not "four times the size of Israel" as Weil (a philanthropist with no scientific qualifications whatsover) states. That`s about half the size of Long Island, NY, hardly a global flood.

Put in perspective, the area of the flood you`re referring to covered the light blue area in the top left of this pic:

0
Reply
Male 820
[quote]I just think it sounds more sane than that we all spawned from atoms that randomly decided to form together into proteins and come alive.[/quote]
Ahem. Obviously a perfect being who existed in his own pocket of reality made the universe and everyone in it.

The thing is, if this being is "perfect" why would he create the universe?
If something is perfect, it is at equilibrium: in other words, it needs nothing.
So why did god create the universe?
So why are humans, his most perfect creation, flawed by his standards?

0
Reply
Male 421
"Wheres your evidence of a god?"

Where`s your evidence that there isn`t a God?

I have faith, is that not enough for me?

0
Reply
Male 421
"Actually, if you want to be technical about it, in the scientific world a theory is as solid as a law."

No it`s not, that was dumb.

and BB...that was just a study done for the area, they were operating from a boat, so it`s kind of hard for them to go on land and take the same samples, though like I said, similar deposits of sediment have been found all over the world.

In our system, the bible may have been written by men, but they were inspired by directly by God to write what they did. It may sound crazy but that`s what I believe, and there`s no proving or disproving it. I just think it sounds more sane than that we all spawned from atoms that randomly decided to form together into proteins and come alive.

0
Reply
Male 606
@farsidedown;

Wheres your evidence of a god?

0
Reply
Male 1,455
"It`s called the law of gravity not theory."

It is a law AND a theory, as is evolution. The law observes the process. The theory explains it. It`s an observed fact that speciation occurs- the theory of evolution is the well-documented, uncontroversially-supported explanation of the process by which speciation occurs.

0
Reply
Male 1,190
Xianity is a death cult, it is predicated on death, the idea that we are flawed and finally that something has to be done about it.

Whatever goodness their prophet (if he even existed) spoke has been wiped away by over 2000 years of unremitting ignorance, repression and evil.

THAT "is what`s with all the any-Xian posts lately". Some people are awake to this fact and post their disgust here.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
"It doesn`t change the fact that evolution is still just a theory...requiring belief without 100% certainty, just as Christianity is a religion...requiring belief without 100% certainty."

Look I don`t want to argue semantics with you because you clearly are not understanding me. My point is that the degree of evidence is totally different. Say I have a box of Smarties and they go missing. The only evidence is a blue hand print. You happen to believe that there is blue ink leaking God and that he has done it. I don`t and see a bucket of blue paint by the front door, with drip marks all over. I draw the conclusion someone with blue paint their hands probably did it. My argument has more weight.

Nontheless. This is a bullpoo argument because it has nothing to do with anything. Do you see how easy it is to make confusing seemingly logical arguments? I`ve even confused myself.

0
Reply
Male 820
[quote]requiring belief without 100% certainty, just as Christianity is a religion...requiring belief without 100% certainty[/quote]

But then you go and demand we find irrefutable proof of our not 100% certain things.

I submit to you..., Find proof the biblical god exists.
and it better be irrefutable.
also, the bible is just a book until you find him, no cheating.

0
Reply
Male 421
"Ah but the the evidence of evolution is directly related to human origin, whereas a flood is related to weather and not to human origin. You`re trying to give credit to something without a shred of logical connection. It`s a non sequitur. The evidence that organisms adapt and change logically procures the idea that this could occur over time and allow for the development of species. It is not logical to go from big flood to God did it. We have two very different arguments, with two very different degress of plausibility."

It doesn`t change the fact that evolution is still just a theory...requiring belief without 100% certainty, just as Christianity is a religion...requiring belief without 100% certainty.

You have evidence that we may have spawned from primordial soup, and I have evidence that God may have gone and dropped a ton of water on us.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
Farsidedown... "There was no doubt that it was a fast flood -- one that covered an expanse four times the size of Israel." So correct me if I`m wrong, but that`s still not quite as large as the flood the bible? This suggests to me what I`ve always believed. That the bible is written by many men. It is a collection of stories written by people who would have an interest in exaggerating actual events to suit the context of their story. If it were truly God`s own word the size of the flood would match up with the written account. So take your pick. The bible is fallacious because it is written by men, or this flood is unrelated.
0
Reply
Female 525
"Otherwise it would be the law of evolution, not the theory."
Actually, if you want to be technical about it, in the scientific world a theory is as solid as a law.
0
Reply
Male 820
also
gravitational theory - (physics) the theory that any two particles of matter attract one another with a force directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them
0
Reply
Male 820
no..., it`s a theory.
LINKY MCLINK-LINK!
Yes, we know that objects on earth fall at ~9.81 m/s^2
but it`s still a theory.
0
Reply
Male 421
"You mean like the theory of gravity?
Guess you don`t believe in that either.
sooooo we are obviously held to the earth by god`s love for us..., isn`t dat sweeeeet."

It`s called the law of gravity not theory.

"We found the missing link already..."

I`m guessing you googled that cuz it was the first thing to pop up. Congrats you may have just linked lemurs to primates. Now try linking primates to humans. It MAY be a "missing link" but it`s sure not THE missing link.

0
Reply
Female 1,134
*sigh*....... Religion...... *more sigh*
0
Reply
Male 55
who would want anyone to serve them `period`? Yuck..
0
Reply
Male 421
To quote this news article:

"EcoOcean and an international team believe they have found evidence to substantiate what is written in the Bible.
Says Weil, "We found that indeed a flood happened around that time. From core samples, we see that a flood broke through the natural barrier separating the Mediterranean Sea and the freshwater Black Sea, bringing with it seashells that only grow in a marine environment. There was no doubt that it was a fast flood -- one that covered an expanse four times the size of Israel."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...

I also read about it in my geology book a ways back...of course there`s a lot of arguments going on in the scientific community whether it`s true evidence of not, but I can`t really link that. That and I didn`t want to link something directly off a christian site(or youtube), because that would be biased..

0
Reply
Female 186
We found the missing link already...

[click">click

0
Reply
Male 820
[quote]but you don`t have irrefutable proof. Otherwise it would be the law of evolution, not the theory.[/quote]

You mean like the theory of gravity?
Guess you don`t believe in that either.
sooooo we are obviously held to the earth by god`s love for us..., isn`t dat sweeeeet.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
Ah but the the evidence of evolution is directly related to human origin, whereas a flood is related to weather and not to human origin. You`re trying to give credit to something without a shred of logical connection. It`s a non sequitur. The evidence that organisms adapt and change logically procures the idea that this could occur over time and allow for the development of species. It is not logical to go from big flood to God did it. We have two very different arguments, with two very different degress of plausibility.
0
Reply
Female 186
Christians = Fail.
0
Reply
Male 421
Well first off, yes you are being a dick. Second off I`m not whining...I find that whining falls more along the lines of people who say stuff like...

"Oh MAN does if that didn`t just piss me off more than any other single thing I`ve ever read on IAB. Grade-A, top-class, utter, pure unadulterated bullsh*t."

Sounds more like something you`d find on youtube than coming out of the mouth of a mod.

And while we`re at it, while I tried to make a factual statement about atheist vs christian comments on fb, evolution being a theory not a law, and evidence of the flood, you`ve done nothing but make false assumptions and whine about my claims...and love on Darwin.

But of course somewhere you missed that I`ve just been trying to have a typical fun IAB discussion, which I step into knowing full and well that there are some MASSIVE differences between people on here.

I can have evidence for the flood without an arc while you can have evidence for evolution without the missing li

0
Reply
Male 216
is that a "FEDS" magazine avatar?
0
Reply
Male 12,138
[quote]No, I was referring to the massive sedement deposits from about 5000 years back that are commonly found in layers of rock, which geologists have typically attributed to a massive flood.[/quote]

Linky.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
Farsidedown... I still don`t know exactly how that proves anything. If there was a flood, you need to prove the arc to make the biblical connection. I am being a bit of dick I suppose, but the Christian whiny objections about the dickishness of (some) athiests just gets us going. If you could intelligently argue your case without being a damn wimp and practically crying to mommy because the stones we throw (in the way of evidence) are bigger, we might give you some props.
0
Reply
Female 3,574
~*edgy atheists*~
0
Reply
Male 3,255
0
Reply
Male 421
No, I was referring to the massive sedement deposits from about 5000 years back that are commonly found in layers of rock, which geologists have typically attributed to a massive flood. I`ve never heard that stuff about the grand canyon, and I think it`s bullcrap too.

Sure you guys don`t look like indoctrinated sheep. You just typically act like *ssholes

0
Reply
Female 1,112
Hey thanks for the link! Happy Valentines to my friend Charles Darwin.
0
Reply
Male 12,138
[quote]Davymid! That was awesome! did you watch the second video?[/quote]

I`ve watched most of them. They`re from a youtube user called Thunderf00t (that link below was just a mirror). You can find others on his channel if you`re interested- There`s about 30 or so in this series, and they`re all they`re all well-informed, factual and interesting.

0
Reply
Male 10
RELIGION!
0
Reply
Male 9
@Lionhart2 "Justin is a ftard who only picks bits of the Bible that suit his own wants."

Isn`t this the way any religious script is meant to be used?

"God" forbid that anyone would use it in context...

0
Reply
Male 395
"Facebook Philosophy" - Sounds like an oxymoron to me!
0
Reply
Male 215
"No, but I see atheist friends post just as often. But that`s ok, being atheist makes you cool, right? RIGHT? :/"

I wouldn`t say it make us cool, but it certainly doesn`t make us look like indoctrinated sheep!

0
Reply
Male 236
It doesn`t matter, just be happy thinking you`re right, and everything will be okay
0
Reply
Female 1,112
Davymid! That was awesome! did you watch the second video?
0
Reply
Male 215
"The christians have just as much scientific evidence for the flood, thanks to geology, but they don`t have proof for everything either."

Ha, I love the world... it`s thanks to people like that that I seem way smarter than I really am!! Thanks for making the rest of the world seem less stupid in comparison Farsidedown, ur a true hero!

0
Reply
Female 1,112
Nidonemo and someshoes, I`ve struggled with that train of thought myself. I used to belong to Christian fellowship and we had some missionaries talk to us about enlightening people in remote countries who had never heard of God and Christianity and I was so confused why these people would not be privy to this very vital information. If the information had to be put in a book of rules to live by how do these people stand a chance. Then I took a history class, and couldn`t understand how so many people endorse a religion that was so small and practically obsolete until one man decided to force it on his nation and ruled with an iron fist. BIZARRE.
0
Reply
Male 12,138
vv "The christians have just as much scientific evidence for the flood, thanks to geology, but they don`t have proof for everything either."

Oh MAN does if that didn`t just piss me off more than any other single thing I`ve ever read on IAB. Grade-A, top-class, utter, pure unadulterated bullsh*t.

Are you referring to this CRAP?

0
Reply
Male 9,305
"why is he making over 60% of americans not believe in himself?"

I had a similar question myself. If God makes everyone in his own image, and we are all his children, then if he didn`t want to create something, he wouldn`t have. It`s like I can make characters in my own stories love me or hate me, and I don`t hate them for being who they are, because I -made- them that way, and I like how they turned out.

0
Reply
Male 2,056
Question: if god controls what you do (and i did hear a christian or two say this so if im wrong tell me in a nice way), why is he making over 60% of americans not believe in himself?
0
Reply
Male 762
@LostxPuppy

Well... you could try to make fun of people who understand evolution by talking about how you think it is silly we evolved from monkeys, but you would actually look like a fool for displaying how very little you know about evolution.

0
Reply
Male 716
You people are amusing... bickering like you`re words actually mean anything when posted on a comments page against other people as stubborn as you.
0
Reply
Female 231
-looks up tom irby on facebook-
0
Reply
Female 1,112
Oh for drats sake. Are you referring to the Grand Canyon? Because non-biased geologists have confirmed that that`s a bunch of malarky you`re spewing.
0
Reply
Male 421
...oh and Bumble: you may have evidence of evolution, but you don`t have irrefutable proof. Otherwise it would be the law of evolution, not the theory. The christians have just as much scientific evidence for the flood, thanks to geology, but they don`t have proof for everything either.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
No, Atheism just happens to be the most sane.....
0
Reply
Male 421
"I`ve never seen any of my muslim , Jewish or other friends post their beliefs on Facebook, at least not as openly and preachy as Christians."

No, but I see atheist friends post just as often. But that`s ok, being atheist makes you cool, right? RIGHT? :/

0
Reply
Female 1,112
Wrong lostpuppy. The Christian in this post was not standing up for what he personally believes in, he was telling people how to be. Besides making fun of people who believe in evolution is silly because we have something you don`t. Scientific evidence... It`s hard to beat. Would you like to discuss my crazy belief in the theory of Gravity too? Man I`m mean on the holidays.
0
Reply
Male 12,138
[quote]I could make fun of people who believe we evolved from monkeys, but I don`t.[/quote]

*looks around* Sorry, who believes that?

0
Reply
Male 97
Well, "you devote your life to serve Him" is correct. Some of the ways you serve Him includes: going to school, being successful, getting a job, etc.
0
Reply
Female 1,112
Scizzor... why do Jews have big noses? Air is free. Jews may take their anger up with me. Christians just happen to be the most preachy, and spew their silliness all over the internet and Facebook happens to be prime hunting grounds for funny. I`ve never seen any of my muslim , Jewish or other friends post their beliefs on Facebook, at least not as openly and preachy as Christians. Want to be left alone? Just keep it to yourself.
0
Reply
Female 1
He may have a sense of humor, but calling him homeless is like calling you a bitch.

You can make fun of Christianity all you want, but, when someone wants to defend what they believe in you shouldn`t slap them down.
If you believe in something that`s what you`re supposed to do. Defend it.

Maybe, we aren`t the defensive ones.
I could make fun of people who believe we evolved from monkeys, but I don`t. So, what`s the point in making fun of us? We haven`t done anything but stand up for what we believe in.

0
Reply
Female 276
@scizzor - if they had a valid point i wouldnt say wtf
0
Reply
Male 8,302
Justin is a ftard who only picks bits of the Bible that suit his own wants.

The Bible says to WORK, from the very beginning.

0
Reply
Male 31
kind of a double standard when it comes to making fun of people`s religion. No one seems to get offended when people make fun of christians but if someone posted a link making fun of jewish people everyone would be like WTF?
0
Reply
Male 148
I`ve noticed that there a lot of angry christians out there... some people need to learn to take a joke.

If there is a God I`m sure he/she/it has a sense of humor.

0
Reply
Male 820
[quote]Albert Einstein for example believed in God. So to say such things are for stupid people is ignorant.[/quote]

Actually, no, he didn`t.
He did not believe in a personal god, but rather that nature was "god" in a sense.
just to make this clear
"God does not play dice with the universe"
could be said in a more scientific way as
"Probability is not at the heart of all things."

0
Reply
Female 1,112
Quit being so sensitive. There are far more non Christians in the world, and we reserve the right to poke fun at anyone. We will poke fun at you. Get out of the kitchen.
0
Reply
Female 459
Can`t I-A-B just leave Christians be? It`s really pissing me off.
0
Reply
Female 157
I`ve known doctors, engineers, and plenty of people who believe in a higher being and purpose for their existence.

Albert Einstein for example believed in God. So to say such things are for stupid people is ignorant.

0
Reply
Female 157
Who`s the dick who keeps approving all these anti Christian links. They show up quite often. And frankly these aren`t the first group of people to say that they live life for something that means more than the mundane.

Leave them alone. Do you make fun of Jews too for not eating certain foods and believing in a flood?

0
Reply
Male 1,190
Xianity is a death cult, it is predicated on death, the idea that we are flawed and finally that something has to be done about it.

Whatever goodness their prophet (if he even existed) spoke has been wiped away by over 2000 years of unremitting ignorance, repression and evil.

THAT "is what`s with all the any-Xian posts lately". Some people are awake to this fact and post their disgust here.

0
Reply
Male 3
"what the hell is with this sudden influx of anti-Christian posts?"

Christianity = false, thats why.

0
Reply
Male 5,189
Haha...ahhhhhhh.
0
Reply
Female 1,677
So dedicating your life to "him" means you`re NOT successful at life?

...Agreed.

0
Reply
Female 1,181
LOL, SuperSmash. Me, I was just going to answer zokeman that christianity is a dumb ideal invented so that smart people can easily identify morons (i.e. christians) and consequently make humorous "anti-christian" remarks. But your answer works well, also!
0
Reply
Male 575
zokeman: believe me, it started long time ago.
0
Reply
Male 3,755
"what the hell is with this sudden influx of anti-Christian posts?"

They get a lot of hits and comments. So, seeing that IAB exists solely for the purpose of making money, they put up links that they think will get a lot of hits.

0
Reply
Male 312
God must be really sad...
0
Reply
Male 25,417
philosophy = saying something religious in no truth to context!
0
Reply
Male 152
what the hell is with this sudden influx of anti-Christian posts?
0
Reply
Male 976
I think Tom Irby just made a big mistake not covering up his name.
0
Reply
Male 85
oh nooooo another one. these are so common on iab.
0
Reply
Female 1,780
Link: More Retarded Facebook Philosophy [Pic] [Rate Link] - God... homeless preacher... same difference.
0
Reply