Were You A Bad Child? Are You Dumb Now?

Submitted by: LazyMe484 7 years ago
http://www.asylum.com/2009/09/28/spanking-may-lower-iq/

The two probably go hand-in-hand. Children who were spanked then are stupid now. Were you spanked as a kid? Is it true?
There are 64 comments:
Female 130
this is a load of crap
i totally agree with linkenberger
0
Reply
Male 1,164
Well, who knows, unspanked kids might have a higher IQ, but generally speaking, spanked kids are more mature, get better grades, get into less trouble and have more respect for authority.

Your call, IAB.

0
Reply
Female 88
I think this study is ridiculous and obviously not valid. My brother and some of my best friends were spanked as kids and they have higher IQ`s than anyone I know. They are in the highest math and science classes there are in college. On the other hand I know plenty of people who weren`t spanked and they are some of the dumbest kids I know.
0
Reply
Male 2,703
> Jilana
> most psychologists don`t see IQ as a reliable measure of intelligence anymore

so, are they planning on renaming it from "intelligence quotient" to "random test we now give"? next you`re going to tell me Rorschach test are a better test of intelligence not just emotional state...

0
Reply
Male 1
What a load of hooey. Spanked when I deserved it and am a now member of MENSA with two doctorate degrees
0
Reply
Male 2,553
Never been spanked, but socially semi-incompetent. ^^ Where does that put me?
0
Reply
Female 237
I was violently beaten and abused as a child... And now I am doing an arts degree. I say the article was right! LOL.
0
Reply
Male 525
Ai waz spankkd as a yong bhoy annd ai aint dumm
0
Reply
Male 287
Mi muvver uzed too beet mi awl da tiim,boot it neva ghot in da way off mi jobe ass a brian sturgeon...
0
Reply
Female 326
We were spanked by our parents when we did something horribly stupid (we were warned beforehand, btw, that if we continuously did that, we`d be taught a lesson). It`s a case to case basis really. Some parents would just spank their kids without a valid reason or frustration. In some instances this, I believe, lowers a child`s morale, social skills, etc.
0
Reply
Female 5,222
:P
0
Reply
Male 8,302
> Jilana
> most psychologists don`t see IQ as a reliable measure of intelligence anymore

Scored low did we?

0
Reply
Female 254
I like how everyone who got spanked suddenly want to chime in with their IQ level.
For one thing, most psychologists don`t see IQ as a reliable measure of intelligence anymore.
More importantly, if we want to whine about the validity of this study, why do you think you, as an uncontrolled, isolated incident, provide any evidence against the theory? Science laughs in your face.
0
Reply
Male 8,302
> snargh
> I can`t change the fact im a moron

It takes a brave mad to say that. Stupid, but brave. Brings a tear to my eye.

0
Reply
Male 8,302
Yes I was. No it`s not.
0
Reply
Male 15,832
I`m calling bullpoo. There are WAY to many confounding variables here. I would wager that these "researchers" are a bunch of anti-spanking advocates, and SHAZAM! their "study" found exactly what they were looking for.
0
Reply
Male 3
I was spanked occasionally when I was younger, yet my IQ is 144. I`m calling BS on their study. Unless of course my IQ could have been even higher. I was always told why I was being spanked though. I understood that I had done something wrong and why it was wrong. So I guess in that way, my experience is different from others. Seems more to me that it`s not the act of spanking that`s causing the lower IQs, it`s the lack of communication.
0
Reply
Male 26
im pretty stupid, i dont even remember how often i got spanked. i did horriblely academically all up until college, and then i dunno i somehow find myself working towards a phd in physics. my IQ is like 66, i dont try very hard neithers but still do fine...everything "even kittens" are bullpoo just do what makes you happy and stop comparing proverbial dick sizes. I can`t change the fact im a moron, its genes or whatever. Some of you are dumb too, but some of you are smart its as arbitrary as height. Yet even some short people play in the NBA and are valued for more than their verticalness. man tht took way to much of my little brain to figure al that out nonethless type words....
0
Reply
Female 328
If you get spanked enough, you will get smarter. After I finished reading Sun Tsu`s "Art of War" as a kid I hid all my father`s police-issue belts and paddles and cataloged his physical weaknesses. My father is now somewhat afraid of me.
Beatings don`t make stupid kids. They make interesting family dinners 15 years later.
0
Reply
Male 490
Oh, also, if anything, I doubt it would be related to IQ.

One possible intervening variable would be the self-efficacy factor.
If you spank a kid, they may feel like they can`t do anything right.
Then, of course, they don`t do well on a test.

But I`m going with stupid kids do stupid things.

0
Reply
Female 2,289
I only got spanked a few times.

One of them was when I was about to put a car key into electrical outlet. I was like 1 or 2 years old though.

0
Reply
Male 490
Maybe stupid kids do stupid things, and thus get spanked.

Just a thought.

0
Reply
Male 2,592
i got my ass WHUPPED, i mean belts shoes big wooden spoons switches whatever you name it i got my ass beat with it... but i am DEFINATELY not dumb because of it. Dumb people didn`t just design and simulate a simple (but working!) 8-bit CPU from scratch last week. Take that made up article writer.
0
Reply
Male 2,703
spanking does not make you dumber...

my household was very much like malcolm in the middle, chaotic most of the time, lots of mom yelling, but unlike TV, we were spanked quite often and with a variety of items. I personally got the spatula more than once (always broke on us), vacuum cord (now THAT hurts), dog chain leash, and of course the belt and bare hands. I have not lost my intelligence neither have my 7 siblings...

cheeseman is spot on, its a correlation not a causation. in general, stupid kids don`t get recognized for school work, so they act out in a bad way and get spanked (punished). they didn`t LOSE IQ, they just never had it. smart kids do well in school and thus don`t act out for attention (generally) and thus don`t get punished as often. my case, I had 7 siblings, so we acted out for attention because we weren`t getting any since we all did exceptional in school, if that makes sense.

0
Reply
Female 299
I was spanked and I`m about to get a bachelor`s in Mathematics...
0
Reply
Female 528
I was spanked. It never hurt I just felt bad because I knew I`d done something wrong. Pretty much the same as time out. I do disagree with parents who spank hard enough for it to hurt. That`s unnecessary
0
Reply
Male 157
Last time i check IQ has nothing to do with how you comprehend things. No if children being spanked forgot shapes and stuff id believe it. Besides IQ tests have different outcomes most of the time.
0
Reply
Female 1,427
I don`t even see how the two correlate.

It`s a reinforcement procedure: you screw up, you get spanked. Then you figure out that you`d rather not get spanked, and you don`t do whatever it is you were doing anymore, or you figure out a way to get away with it.

The only possible reason I can think of, is perhaps some kids are so disobedient/stupid that parents resort to spanking because time-out/grounding just doesn`t get the idea through the kid`s head.

0
Reply
Male 1,929
What CheeseMan1 said.
0
Reply
Female 1,572
I was spanked but I`m pretty smart...so eh
0
Reply
Male 1,406
Oh, and also, this is a case of correlation vs. causation. There are so many other factors that go with spanking that just looking at that one aspect will create an unrealistic relationship. Spanking almost surely has next to no impact on IQ (which can be debated over its usefulness anyway), the only way it can really affect a child is an entire lifestyle, which might just be indicated by the spanking or lack thereof.

Also, I am so tired of people posting their stories and claiming that it`s proof that something leads to something else. Guess what? ONE CASE DOESN`T LEAD TO A RESULT. Heck, even an entire forum of people agreeing with each other doesn`t lead to a proper result - it just shows a few experiences. They might be a slight indication, but you can`t say your one experience proves what is good or bad. Once again, way too many factors.

0
Reply
Male 533
Lol, I`m actually in Mensa. I wasn`t necessarily a bad child, but I got spanked a few times.

So....no. It`s not true.

0
Reply
Male 792
I don`t think spanking lowers IQs...I think stupid kids just get spanked.
0
Reply
Male 265
I got spanked. I tested in the high percentile in standard tests.

This is just another look at how the left is increasingly trying to control all facets of our lives.

0
Reply
Male 2,148
This is some new-agey bullpoo. If we can agree that kids are being spanked less, which they are, then how are they also getting dumber compared to previous generations?
0
Reply
Male 10,440
[quote] I am SO tired of ethics getting in the way of science. I can`t wait until we abandon such primitive things and get REAL advancement. ho`s with me? [/quote]

I`m with you! I`m also against people who blurt out their IQ as if it means anything. If you`re intelligent, we`ll know, based on what you say.

0
Reply
Male 20
oh and don`t get me started on the validity of an IQ rating!
0
Reply
Male 17,512
I sincerely doubt the cause and effect relationship is valid in this study.

Spanked a lot with a 150 IQ, Here.

0
Reply
Male 20
Hey my parents clipped my lug when I deserved it and it taught me respect.
This was before all these reports came pouring out that it was bad for your child to hit them.
I think the use of other psychological teaching/punishing on your kid is a lot more scarring then the occasional spanking. when you get spanked there is no two ways around it, you`ve done something wrong and it has a painful repercussion and you instantly regret it rather than attempt to keep pushing your parents buttons in order to get a real emotional response from them.
PS. My IQ is just fine, so I`m told
0
Reply
Female 77
instead of your spanking causing a stupid kid, maybe you`re dumbass kid needed a smack.
0
Reply
Female 410
Ummm, couldn`t it be that the kids who get spanked need the discipline more than the children with higher I.Q.s. I didn`t get spanked much because I was a well-behaved child who observed and listened. I have a higher I.Q. than my siblings who needed more discipline because they wouldn`t sit still, listen and use reasoning skills. I think the spanking wasn`t the cause, but rather needed because of the behaviors of early poor I.Q. My unscientific observation.
0
Reply
Female 236
Oh bull. Sounds like junk science to me.

I can line up five people in the middle of August and have them each chew gum. Wow my study says gum chewing causes sweating! 0.o

0
Reply
Male 4,547
I was spanked, and so far seem to be the only one who understands that doesn`t undermine the study.

However, it might simply imply that lower IQ parents are more likely to employ baser means of controlling their children. Lower IQ parents in turn may suggest lower IQ children, with the IQ only being emergent once they get a little older.

I would however suggest a study is done on whether spanked kids are happier. I`d imagine they are, for the simple reason that bad behaviour gets a 3 second smack as opposed to a discussion on their self worth.

"You are a naughty child, sit on the naughty step".

Psychological warfare and passive aggressive behaviour is not parenting.

0
Reply
Male 1,381
lol shadow, you have a terribly valid point, as reluctant as i am to admit it
0
Reply
Male 2,125
"ho`s with me?"

D:
==============

D:

0
Reply
Male 260
to shunpo 31, you can still have a low IQ and get into college or a phd program, you just gotta work harder for it

maybe your brother and sister are just idiots with high IQs who didnt work hard enough in school so they are paying for it now

0
Reply
Male 9,306
So we`re supposed to believe a blurb on some random website with the starting caption that suggests we can use this tidbit of information to amuse the friends we drink with?
0
Reply
Female 654
"ho`s with me?"

D:

0
Reply
Male 1,406
"the only way to make this type of study infallible is to randomly assign children into spanked and unspanked groups -- which wouldn`t be ethical."

I am SO tired of ethics getting in the way of science. I can`t wait until we abandon such primitive things and get REAL advancement. ho`s with me?

0
Reply
Male 541
this is totally backwards. im living proof its wrong
0
Reply
Male 1,381
they`ve got it backwards. my dad beat me like a rug, and i`m hoping to begin my Ph.D. program in a year.

my parents conveniently did NOT beat my little brother and sister. they are now a dishwasher at steak and shake and a cake-maker, respectively.

:- p

0
Reply
Female 781
Nice going, IAB, bring the "to spank or not to spank" discussion in here.

There are so many other factors at play here--how often were they spanked? For what reasons? How did the parent act (angry, amused, bored)?

Or maybe stupid kids just misbehave more.

0
Reply
Male 20
IQ of 133, was spanked as a child. I could be an outlier, but I doubt it.
0
Reply
Male 4,680
So they never thought that the kids who got spanked might be the same ones who didn`t pay attention in school?
0
Reply
Female 36
so the kids that were spanked are dumb but the kids that werent are brats who want everything for nothing? hmmmm pick the lesser of two evils i guess... (yes i know there are exceptions)
0
Reply
Male 1,093
thats just stupid. as a kid, i was never spanked, but a friend of the family spanked his kids, and they are geniuses. This thing is so wrong
0
Reply
Male 4,594
I was never spanked - and I`m a dumbass. There goes that study, straight down the drain.
0
Reply
Male 506
No, it`s acting like a little non-nice individual that makes you stupid.
0
Reply
Male 4,807
That must make my wife a complete idiot.
I spank her almost every night.
0
Reply
Male 328
what about spanking adults?
0
Reply
Male 10,440
I disagree with this article. Spanking and lower IQ have a common cause.
0
Reply
Male 91
Who wants a bunch of smart non-nice individual kids anyways
0
Reply
Male 139
Correlation does not imply causation
0
Reply
Male 10,440
Link: Were You A Bad Child? Are You Dumb Now? [Rate Link] - The two probably go hand-in-hand. Children who were spanked then are stupid now. Were you spanked as a kid? Is it true?
0
Reply