Check Out Florida`s Upcoming Licence Plates

Submitted by: fancylad 8 years ago in
http://blogs.tampabay.com/buzz/2009/04/crist-dont-like-jesus-plate-dont-buy-it.html

Fla. Gov. Crist is to soon give these Jesus plates the green light. Good or bad? He does make a point with US currency.
There are 148 comments:
Male 1,442
Never get involved with religious arguments. The side the person is on is always the right side to them and unless they are still young, it`s a fact most likly set in stone.
0
Reply
Male 83
W/E
0
Reply
Male 4,680
"Good thing you`re only on the internet. No one puts up with your wannabe atheist BS in the real world."
More the opposite where I live...
0
Reply
Male 3
I can`t wait to move out of Florida...
0
Reply
Male 1
Actually, the prefix A- does not mean opposite or against. It actually means having none or without. Now if someone called themselves an Anti-theist then that would be opposite or against. Atheists are just those who are without belief in a god. Like you are without belief in the Easter Bunny, or Leprachauns, or Zeus or Apollo. I always tell theists that we are all actually atheists, we just happen to believe in one less god than you.
0
Reply
Female 614
christians are non-nice individuals sometimes, seriously. they get pissy seeing other religions, but when its jesus: "i don`t see a problem"
0
Reply
Male 2
Brainwashed morons.

Secular Jews own you. Now go turn on Family Guy.

Good thing you`re only on the internet. No one puts up with your wannabe atheist BS in the real world.

0
Reply
Male 4,593
Sweet, you can get a pic of a dead white guy on your plate. I hope they provide for Satan worshipers, Wiccans, and a special plate with pics of black dildos to represent the Westboro church in Topeka.
0
Reply
Male 175
Vanity plates and plates with a variety of decorative images are simply products that are used to bring in extra revenue to state governments or municipalities. Endorsement of the local government isn`t necessarily implied by an optional decorative background on a license plate. There are also options such as palm trees, etc. Does that mean the government endorses palm trees?
0
Reply
Female 1,306
it`s florida. did anyone really expect anything else?
0
Reply
Male 4,290
It would be even better as a TV show with commentary.


"Jesus lunges in with a left hook, but Muhammad ducks and counters with a vicious kick to the groin! I don`t know about you, Tom, but it would take me a while to res-ERECT after that!"

"Definitely Dave, and it looks like Muha- OH MY GOD! OUT OF NOWHERE, VISHNA COMES IN WITH THE FOLDED CHAIR AND DROPS MUHAMMAD TO THE FLOOR!"


Aaaand so on.

0
Reply
Male 189
minitimm
I bet if it was a homo couple kissing on the plate the liberals of the nation wouldn`t have a problem.
__________________________________________________________
Lauraly

We don`t exactly have a legal doctrine of separation of gays and state though.

I think it would be fine if other religious symbols from varied religions were also available. That way it doesn`t seem like an endorsement of Christianity but rather as giving the option to broadcast your own personal choices.

I`m with you on that lauraly. I would love to see plates depicting all the major religious deities fighting it out for king of the mountain.

0
Reply
Male 283
Well if I lived in florida I would get one and draw on jesus
0
Reply
Male 4,290
"Look I`m no expert on all this, [...] whereas a-theist is someone who specifically disbelieves."

Pretty much spot on, Lionhart. An agnostic is someone who says that they don`t know whether they believe in a god, whereas an atheist does not believe in a god.

Often agnostic and gnostic are used in conjunction with atheist to show the strength of the conviction that there is no god. EG I am an agnostic atheist - I really doubt there is a god, but I don`t know with 100% certainty, whereas a gnostic atheist would say that there definitely is no god.


Anyway I`m sure you all know my position on this, so yeah.

0
Reply
Male 1,365
What, did churches in Florida start paying taxes? No. Are ministers are taxed for they`re income? No?. Well then,.. If Jesus doesn`t pay taxes, he gets no perks with the state, I would ban him from state parks too.(I hear he fishes a lot)
0
Reply
Female 2,258
minitimm
I bet if it was a homo couple kissing on the plate the liberals of the nation wouldn`t have a problem.
__________________________________________________________

We don`t exactly have a legal doctrine of separation of gays and state though.

I think it would be fine if other religious symbols from varied religions were also available. That way it doesn`t seem like an endorsement of Christianity but rather as giving the option to broadcast your own personal choices.

0
Reply
Male 394
THATS SO dratING STUPID AND OFFENSIVE!!!
0
Reply
Male 103
I would feel obligated to put a custom message along the lines of: Pwned or Owned or Pwnt, or Lol or ROFL, etc.
0
Reply
Male 82
I bet if it was a homo couple kissing on the plate the liberals of the nation wouldn`t have a problem.
0
Reply
Male 1,002
Kind of like the planes over NYC fiasco - technically there`s nothing wrong with it, but did they honestly not expect it to start a sh.tstorm?!
0
Reply
Female 1,112
Totally agree!
0
Reply
Male 650
*you don`t have to buy one if you don`t want to
is what I meant to say...
0
Reply
Male 650
so are the Jesus ones the only license plates to choose from... if not then there is no problem. Like he said, you don`t have to buy one to like it. I agree with him even though i do not believe in god or jesus.
0
Reply
Male 467
bumbleBB >> I didn`t see your post until after I hit "Post Reply", but I totally agree with you.

Point is; after having participated in several internet discussions about religion, i`ve learned several things, the most important one is that no matter how good your arguments are, noone will change their beliefs.
I couldn`t be happier if any religious AND anti-religious public images/statements were banned. I`m all for free speech, but it`s just getting ridiculous..

0
Reply
Female 1,112
I agree BBQ, but you get my point about how Christian have the right to flaunt and we do not (Not that we would) It`s about consideration
0
Reply
Male 467
That`s just stupid, they should put someone cool on those liscense plates - like Chuck Norris. That`d be awesome!

On a serious note though: This whole religion debate mounts to whether it makes sense for en individual to put faith in a supernatural being or not.
It makes no sense to me, therefore I choose not to believe personally.
These discussions are rather stupid, being that they revolve around something so personal that people are very eager to protect (and in the process of protecting, telling other people that they are wrong for not sharing the same beliefs). Noone is going to abandon a- or theism because of an internetz debate.

Silly, silly IAB.

0
Reply
Female 1,112
Hey I have no problem with Christian beliefs, but I do have a problem with the graphic and totally demoralizing way they flaunt their beliefs around. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD!!!! If my licence plate said that, sure as poo I`d hear about it. And I`m sure most of the complaints would come from the Christian community. My mom raised me to know one thing only, that the bible was written by men. She let me decide the rest. So even though my immeadiate family had no religious stakes, and forced nothing on me, I have grown up with consistent bouts of guilt because I have not conformed to Christianity. Now that I`m old enough I can understand that, that happened because I was bombarded with barbaric images and notions of OWING some supreme being. STOP PUTTING IT IN MY FACE! Believe what you want just shut up about it.
0
Reply
Male 182
Who cares. Florida is 90% Retired Jews anyways.
0
Reply
Female 523
" The only problem I have with atheists is their lack of belief it`s so hypocritical."

So you have a problem with their beliefs? Looks like it.

" Why do people who are anti-Christian so nasty when it comes to the Christian belief system?"

And you don`t want people to insult your belief system.

Sounds about right. Anyways, it`s almost 2am here so I`ll be off, enjoy your religious debate IAB.

0
Reply
Female 434
and when did I say I didn`t want atheists telling me what to believe? I really don`t care what they think about my beliefs to be honest with you.
0
Reply
Female 434
Wow way to turn my words around on me. I said that atheists are hypocrites not that they should believe in anything.
0
Reply
Female 447
maybe for the Jewish population they should have a pic of crucified jesus with the words "we did it" lmao sorry I just had to say it.
0
Reply
Female 447
In my opinion there should be a clip art section for when you order license plates. We pay enough for them, we should get to choose the picture :) I can`t help but laugh.. florida with jesus plates? Isn`t the population atleast half jewish lol
0
Reply
Female 523
From what I know about agnosticism (very little), it`s when you aren`t definite about your beliefs.

An Atheist believes there is no god.

An Agnostic does not claim to know.

An Agnostic Atheist does not believe in a god, but doesn`t claim to be correct.

An Agnostic Christian has Christian beliefs, but doesn`t say that they know that they`re correct.

etc. etc.

0
Reply
Female 523
..so StephHrrll, you don`t want Atheists telling you what to believe, but you have no problem telling them they shouldn`t be Atheist?
0
Reply
Male 8,302
> StphnHrrll
> an agnostic is someone who will agree with you that there is something else out there, but don`t agree with any religion or any set "God"

Look I`m no expert on all this, hopefully Baalthazar will weigh in and set us both straight, but I do know the prefix "a" refers to an opposite state, such as "asexual" being someone of no sex; apathy meaning someone who doesn`t care ("a" and "pathos"), and gnosticism is "knowledge" so an agnostic is someone who has no knowledge, whereas a-theist is someone who specifically disbelieves.

0
Reply
Female 523
Now: Banning all implied prayer in schools, banning all religious symbols in school, BANNING CHRISTMAS IN VARIOUS SCHOOLS (wtf, it`s hardly even christian anymore), banning religious symbols from being shown at federal buildings, trying to either stop religious symbols on license plates or produce all types of religious symbols, banning religious shirts from some schools, undermining the idea of free speech in public area sim
--
The banning of all of that stuff is because those things promote a single religion. Atheists want it to go to being non-forceful of religion. They don`t put up `THERE IS NO GOD` signs, they just try to keep things secular.

When you`re the minority in a religion, you`ll understand why things like implied prayer are so bad.

0
Reply
Male 8,302
a⋅the⋅ist??

Phail.

0
Reply
Female 523
..Mormons do, yeah, but we`re talking about Atheists o.O

And most people I`ve seen against Gay Marriage are in fact using a bible passage.

Christians are nasty to the Atheist and Pagan beliefs. It really makes your day bright when your best friend tells you you`ll burn in hell because you aren`t Christian.

0
Reply
Female 472
Erm, I think people were throwing fits for Obama being muslim because they suspected he wasn`t born in the states, not jut because of religion. That is all.
0
Reply
Female 434

a⋅the⋅ist

–noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.


0
Reply
Female 434
Lionhart....an agnostic is someone who will agree with you that there is something else out there, but don`t agree with any religion or any set "God". they have beliefs they just don`t have any conviction behind them.
0
Reply
Female 434
Actually Nerd; after Jesus died and rose, a few religions were born based off of Jesus` teachings. Not necessarily from catholicism. The only thing the "Christian" religions have in common is the Bible. The differences in religions is the interpretation of the Bible. A lot of Christians such as myself find most interpretations Bull-poo and think organized religion is a scam. I say believe what you believe that`s all that really matters. The only problem I have with atheists is their lack of belief it`s so hypocritical. There`s no way that this is all there is! I don`t mean to get all preachy, but whether or not the Christian God is the correct God, there is something out there. Something that science has yet to uncover and I feel that science will never figure it out. So to say that your beliefs are based on what you can see makes you seem kind of ignorant IMO. I just want all atheists to keep their mind....and their spirits open. :)
0
Reply
Male 8,302
> StphnHrrll
> atheists can`t force their beliefs on anyone as they don`t have any

Atheists believe there is no God; you mean Agnostics (a-against/opposite; theist-believer in the Divine).

0
Reply
Male 490
"The problem is that extremist Christians are shown more than the VAST majority of "normal" followers, which, with its publicity through the media and internet, gives all of Christianity a bad name."

I should also say that there are many "extremist" atheists in a similar situation.

However, I feel that they would be more of the ones to cause controversies over such minute political details, such as license plates, even when the plates are optional.

0
Reply
Male 490
would have an issue with LICENSE PLATES are.
0
Reply
Male 490
simply because it is religious.
That`s just a few that have been on the political agenda in the past 10 years, of the many more.

Are muslims in an uproar?
Are Buddhists and "hinduists" in an uproar?

No, these groups have primarily been atheist groups.

And btw, I still call atheism a "system of beliefs," like a religion. It`s just the belief that there is nothing metaphysical.

Therefore, atheists CAN and ARE pushing their beliefs on Christians, as much if not more than Christians.

The problem is that extremist Christians are shown more than the VAST majority of "normal" followers, which, with its publicity through the media and internet, gives all of Christianity a bad name.

Overall, I find many atheists hypocritical, because by their politically opposing and undermining religious belief systems, they are essentially imposing THEIR beliefs.
It`s unfair, honestly.
I`m not saying all atheists are like this, but it seems the ones that

0
Reply
Male 490
"
hwkiller- Give me one major example on Atheists/Pagans/etc. as a /large group/ (not just one bitchy person) trying to force their religions on people or the beliefs of their religions.

While you do that, I`ll list how Christianity has done that:

Trying to ban Gay Marriage because of the bible.

Christians going batpoo because a mormon ran for president

People freaking out because they though Obama was Muslim

And so much more dealing with stuff going against `the bible` "

So you listed gay marriage and the obama thing?
Great examples!

Now: Banning all implied prayer in schools, banning all religious symbols in school, BANNING CHRISTMAS IN VARIOUS SCHOOLS (wtf, it`s hardly even christian anymore), banning religious symbols from being shown at federal buildings, trying to either stop religious symbols on license plates or produce all types of religious symbols, banning religious shirts from some schools, undermining the idea of free speech in public area sim

0
Reply
Male 64
StphnHrrll:
If you recall your history, Catholics are the ORIGINAL Christians. Protestants broke off from the Church around the mid-1500s for various reasons, varying from the reasonable (disagreements about endulgements) to the not-so-reasonable (King Charles wanted to divorce his wife, something directly prohibited in the Bible)

Mormons, on the other hand (correct me if I`m wrong) have a belief system SIMILAR to Christianity, but differing in some very key points (for instance, the identity of God)

0
Reply
Male 325
to me it just looks very tacky
0
Reply
Female 434
Just saying....
0
Reply
Female 434
The cross is a symbolic because his dying on the cross abolished all of our sins and allowed us to enter heaven upon death. The cross is a reminder of his sacrifice for us.
0
Reply
Female 434
Oh and atheists can`t force their beliefs on anyone as they don`t have any.
0
Reply
Female 434
Actually Okasen Mormons harass people on a daily basis. They knock on everyone`s doors preaching The Book of Mormon. Banning gay marriage is a moral dilemma not a biblical one and those that base their morals from the bible tend to lean being against gay marriage. The Christians that have a problem with Obama see a lot more wrong with him then the fact that he may or may not be muslim. Why do people who are anti-Christian so nasty when it comes to the Christian belief system? Unless you`re confusing Christianity with Catholicism, which by the way are totally different. Catholics may be considered "christian" but so may Mormons......Sorry it`s just a pet peeve of mine when people lump Christians and Catholics in the same category
0
Reply
Male 13
Whatever, as long as it`s not the only plate you can get then who cares? only wack bible thumppers will get them.
0
Reply
Male 352
Mmm wouldurge.
0
Reply
Female 523
hwkiller- Give me one major example on Atheists/Pagans/etc. as a /large group/ (not just one bitchy person) trying to force their religions on people or the beliefs of their religions.

While you do that, I`ll list how Christianity has done that:

Trying to ban Gay Marriage because of the bible.

Christians going batpoo because a mormon ran for president

People freaking out because they though Obama was Muslim

And so much more dealing with stuff going against `the bible`

0
Reply
Male 339
People should have the right to have whatever the hell they want on their license plate (save for racist and obscene materials). Why not have Jesus on your license plate if you worship Him?
0
Reply
Male 1,958
Wait, this is a religious debate? Man, I need to pay attention more
0
Reply
Male 8,302
Wow, who`d have thought this post about licence plates would turn into a religious debate? Anyone, anyone...?
0
Reply
Male 3,819
DAMN YOU MARCUS! I FINALLY GOT THAT SONG OUT OF MY HEAD YESTERDAY.
0
Reply
Male 1,958
0
Reply
Male 490
"For someone saying Christians don`t slander Atheists, you suck at practicing what you preach. Shut up please...Thanks"

How exactly am I "slandering" atheists?
When did I say that Christians NEVER slander atheists?

0
Reply
Male 490
@ Batmanners

That`s a totally unfounded statement.
1) I`m an idiot for stating that atheists seem to push their agenda more than christians do nowaday? That`s nto idiotic, that`s politically TRUE.

2) I`ve hardly seen ANY movements from other religions in the past 5 years that have to do with limiting the spread of Christianity and publicity of it. I`ve seen atheists do it, as they feel they are having religion forced upon them.
I`ve seen more muslims that are fine with christianity than atheists.

The THEORY that all other religions have a major public issue with the public christianity is one that atheists argue so much, and yet I see atheists claiming this more than the bloody religions they themselves speak of.

I`m no idiot, thank you.

0
Reply
Male 4,004
"If somehow atheists are offended, then perhaps they should consolidate why they are so offended at something that shouldn`t affect them anyway. Is it forcing christianity on you? no.
Is it punishing you for not believing in christianity? No"

For someone saying Christians don`t slander Atheists, you suck at practicing what you preach. Shut up please...Thanks.

0
Reply
Male 490
Those in other religions may just not get ones with their symbol. The Government is not forced to make a religion-based license plate just because ONE religion has one. If that logic held up, ever language would need to be printed, since the U.S. doesn`t have an official language technically. Do people support that? no
Why should people support the making of all religious symbols on a plate JUST BECAUSE one religion got one?

If that logic held up, so many things would have to be made a near infinite amount of varying ways.

This politically-correct BS is a large cause for why society is so bad nowadays in the first place. This same movement, stemming from the 60s/70s, is what made discipline look EVIL for parents to do.
Abuse = bad
Discipline = necessary, and people don`t see that through this curtain and filter of "political correctness"

I say: Just get over it.

0
Reply
Male 4,004
"Atheists, I swear, push their political agendas more than christians do!"

Idiot.

It`s not Atheists who bitch and whine about religion. It`s other religions. I am well aware that there are countless Atheists who are too pushy, and I have told some of them to stop pushing their religion on me (As an Atheist myself, I don`t know why they are preaching).

The people who bitch and whine are usually the other religions, Muslims and Jews and such. Atheists usually respect other people`s religions (usually), whereas Muslims WOULD find it offensive to force their child to claim Jesus is their savior in a school prayer.

0
Reply
Male 490
Furthermore, "the separation of church and state" is not to stop the endorsement of religion BY the state. It`s meant to restrict the government from enforcing religious values on people, holding them accountable and punishing them by religious doctrine. (See salem witch trials, 1692 I think)

That was most basically instituted to keep all branches from ENFORCING religion and ENFORCING religious doctrines, as well as punishing based on religious beliefs.

It wasn`t meant to stop the government from putting a symbol of christianity on license plates, get over yourselves, imho.

If somehow atheists are offended, then perhaps they should consolidate why they are so offended at something that shouldn`t affect them anyway. Is it forcing christianity on you? no.
Is it punishing you for not believing in christianity? No

The only somewhat value argument is that other religions don`t have one.
But really, I think they care less than the atheists do.

0
Reply
Male 4,004
I wonder which state would endorse LOLCAT license plates...
0HA1(cat)L0L
0
Reply
Male 490
I don`t get it.
The U.S. was partially founded on christianity. Our very STATES come from religious communities, many of `em.
Why, all of a sudden, should we say "oh, it`s unconstitutional to express religion"

THAT is illogical.
Know what is most annoying?
Atheists, I swear, push their political agendas more than christians do! If one could consider Atheism a religion, Atheism`s beliefs have been pushed on Christians more in the past 20 years than Christians have conversely.
Atheists are just super touchy about having religions placed in their presence, for reasons I have yet to understand (intimidation? overdramatization? I don`t know)

So what if you see it on money? Does money somehow hurt your beliefs as an atheist?
If it`s in the pledge, don`t say "under God" whoop-dee-doo.
Christians are restricted by atheists more than atheists are imposed upon nowadays. They have just gotten super sensitive about it.

0
Reply
Female 345
I would buy one of those and my plate would read: OMG *pic o` Jesus* LOL
0
Reply
Male 619
I`d get one of those license plates and have my tag read, "OWMYHNDS," or, "#1 JEW," or maybe even, "IH8SNTA."
0
Reply
Male 380
As an athiest im not offened about the idea of a religious license plate... but its just the fact that its the "christian" one that is official/allowed. If they want religious plates they should allow all major (if not all) religons have a license plate.
0
Reply
Male 9,305
Lion: Oh wow, you may be onto something there!
0
Reply
Female 523
why do christians see the cross as a holy symbol. it clearly did a lot for jesus.
--
No clue. I mean if I were a religious figure I`d atleast want to be remembered for doing stuff other than dying..
0
Reply
Male 8,302
> Nidonemo
> DON`T BOTHER EXPLAINING IT! I`M ALREADY OVER IT!

Hey, I think you just invented the Alpha and Omega of responses to any religious debate, that has so many uses :-)

0
Reply
Male 4,793
why do christians see the cross as a holy symbol. it clearly did a lot for jesus.
0
Reply
Male 2,605
"He does make a point with US currency."

Sure he makes a point, it`s just not a very good one. That phrase shouldn`t be on currency in the first place, so he`s building his vote-garnering case on a violation of the US Constitution. But then, his case is pretty strong because it rests on the apathy of the American public, with which we are all too familiar.

0
Reply
Male 9,305
I never did understand the whole "I love jesus so much I`ll put a picture of him in his most suffering moment to worship him" mentality.

(DON`T BOTHER EXPLAINING IT! I`M ALREADY OVER IT!)

In any case, keep it clean, and no name calling. Also, for the love of sex BE NICE THIS TIME!

If I`m going to be hovering over yet another 100-page span argument, I want it to be pleasant.

0
Reply
Female 523
Furthermore; to all of you who think "In God We Trust" is somehow constitutional, what about hindus and pagans? They believe in multiple gods. Having "In God We Trust" only provides Christians with some bull$#*t argument to help them push their own religion onto others and implies monotheism (which IS pushing certian religions).
---
This is true too... I don`t see why it can`t be "In liberty/freedom/whatever we trust." I mean, same message that they want to give, and not offensive.
0
Reply
Female 523
No, he doesn`t make a point with US currency. "In God We Trust" doesn`t belong on there either.
---
I agree... also, `God` is capitalized, and while this may just be a subjective thing, I`ve always looked at the capitalized version as meaning the Christian god.

The money doesn`t bother me anywhere near as much as the pledge though. From elementary school they teach us to pledge to a nation `under God` when we can hardly think for ourselves.

That said, I was pretty angry until I read that they weren`t regulation plates-- but I do agree that there needs to be a Jewish Star, Buddhist, etc. Plate too if the state`s going to be making them, or at least an equally easy way to acquire such plates.

0
Reply
Male 2,440
Look, the whole Jesus licence plate thing is similiar to putting nativity scenes on public property. People have the freedom to express whatever religion they would like, but once you put your nativity scene on public property (ex: city hall or court house), you open the floodgates for other religions to place their beliefs on public property. Don`t put a nativity scene infront of town hall and I won`t put a giant FSM statue there either. The government should not be the venue through which you express your religious beliefs.

Furthermore; to all of you who think "In God We Trust" is somehow constitutional, what about hindus and pagans? They believe in multiple gods. Having "In God We Trust" only provides Christians with some bull$#*t argument to help them push their own religion onto others and implies monotheism (which IS pushing certian religions).

0
Reply
Male 8,302
If you`re interested, that image came from a blog post I did years ago about the issue (I had a blog life before I discovered IAB!), which can be found here (with apologies for the fact thats its my own blog)
0
Reply
Male 8,302
Um this moron needs to take a good look at the plate - its doesn`t show Jesus, it shows the white anglosaxon american image of Jesus which has no basis in fact. It doesn`t even show the cross or any imagery from the life of Christ, they may as well have made a plate that featured any male model. The real Jesus most likely looked number 6 in the picture below, the rest are images shaped by people`s perceptions of how they expect him to look.

0
Reply
Male 359
So what he is saying is that because it says "In God we trust" on the money that what he is doing isn`t a government endorsement? He`s an idiot and the money saying it has nothing to do with license plates let alone say that it`s right.

Now don`t get me wrong people should be aloud to have whatever they want on their license plate but that is what vanity plates are for.

0
Reply
Male 524
from what i`ve heard living here, lots of people are trying to do away with the special license plates, so even if this does get through, if they get their way it won`t matter.
0
Reply
Male 338
what about separation of church and state... what a moron...
0
Reply
Male 309
for thoes talking about how taxpayers will pay for this.....
the specialty plates in florida cost more money than just a plain one. some of this money goes towards the organization (church or saving seaturtles w.e) but some also goes towards the government. think about it, when has the government not taken their share of whatever they can get their hands on?
0
Reply
Male 864
Except `In God we trust` doesn`t imply a certain religion... Pretty much every religion promotes a belief in God. But only Christian sects believe in Jesus, and worship the image of him on the cross.

Florida needs to wake up.

0
Reply
Male 272
this may lead to LAWLZ.
0
Reply
Female 667
Florida has WAY too many license plates as it is. I live in Florida and about once a week I see a plate that I haven`t seen before.
0
Reply
Male 84
Here is a list of Florida license plates with pictures.
0
Reply
Male 307
yeahh that`s just kinda awkward.
i love me some jesus
but i`d rather just have a plain license plate.
0
Reply
Male 776
golly, if 1/10th of the brainpower wasted on this license plate debate was harnessed.... we would have hundreds of clever witty posts on actual relevant funny links
0
Reply
Male 505
Oh man. We just did the First Amendment in my AP US Government class. Gov. Crist, prepare to be CONSTITUTION-RAPED:
No valid secular purpose.
Endorses a particular religion over another.
Producing these license plates constitutes excessive entanglement of the Florida government with the church.
No Star of David license plates = no equal protection under the law.
"In God We Trust" has historical standing and tradition backing it up, which can be used as grounds to allow minor infractions of the First Amendment. This has no history whatsoever.

He`s dumb. This should not be allowed. Somebody sue plz?

0
Reply
Male 191
I want an FSM plate. but in all seriousness, I agree with caboose177, especially for something already bending rules, that`s not necessarily the best depiction of Jesus you could put on a plate.
0
Reply
Male 7,378
He may be forced to offer Muhammad, Vishnu and Travolta plates as well
0
Reply
Male 1,204
um.... as a Christian, i think a picture of christ dying on every license plate is slightly eerie. not really offended, but seriously, why that? why not just a cross?
0
Reply
Male 3,842
It`s a very very very weak point the governor makes regarding "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency since the constitution states that the government can not endorse any one particular religion over any others. The word "God" does NOT endorse any one particular religion since by their nature all religions believe in some sort of "God" - but a picture of Jesus or symbol of Christianity is, without a doubt, endorsing one particular religion above others. That is unconstitutional and violates the first amendment. Plus the governor is an idiot for trying to use U.S. currency as an analogy, since it is just a generic, non-specific "God" and certainly does not actually depict Jesus or any particular figure.
0
Reply
Male 690
who cares? how uptight can ya get to even notice this
0
Reply
Male 348
Jes [Picture] Us
0
Reply
Female 344
i think thats going to bad in a few days gangs use them and what not
0
Reply
Male 1,220
GUYS GUYS GUYS! im all for people expressing their religion on their car. BUT license plates are made with taxpayer money. To put Jesus on something that is made with taxpayer money is not separation of church and state
0
Reply
Female 158
I don`t think it`s that big of a deal. As long as other religions can express their faith on license plates (which I personally believe is not the classiest form of religious expression), then why not?
0
Reply
Female 1,082
you dont have to buy one right? i mean can you get a different design if you want? i definitely wouldnt wat that to be my license but if i had other options i could care less. i dont see anything wrong with giving people the option of having this as their license plate so long as its not mandatory.
0
Reply
Male 63
I remember seeing on the History channel that we have Greco-Roman gods on buildings everywhere on our federal buildings. And we even have Moses, but he doesn`t have anything on his tablets. While obviously Jesus Christ is a religious figure, he is also a philosopher. Not to mention a lot of our laws and legal terms come from religious stories and figures. Not just Judeo-Christian ones.
0
Reply
Male 144
Concerning Money...

Sometimes its just better for the world and peace to let things be as they are..so people can concern themselves over important things..

We have so many problems in the world.. but somehow...people still find time to care about a "God" that they claim doesn`t even exist..being printed on currency....where does it go from here?

Btw Sug..right on the money...

0
Reply
Male 52
Folks, folks, folks: The DMV is a government agency. The fee you pay is a form of tax. Regardless, the fact remains that it is a form of religious expression tied to a government agency. For profit (read private) businesses do not sell custom license plates unless ok`d by the government and then only thru a state regulatory system. If I wanted to make a license plate that made reference to my belief satanism or atheism the state simply would not allow it. They may even sell a few but I guarantee you that it would end up at a state supreme court being challenged.
0
Reply
Male 430
Can I get that LOL Jesus on my plate?
0
Reply
Male 98
The money you pay isn`t even then put into religion, but goes on to be used for other purpses by the DMV, and etc.

It begins and ends with a sale by a citizen to display their belief in a religion, which is a right of americans.

0
Reply
Male 98
Well kaizen_man68 you`re almost right, but where you are wrong is important.

Tax payer money should not be used for religious money. Read, money we give as a direct form of taxes.

But special license plates aren`t that. You pay an additional fee of your own money to have an extra something. You buy the license plate with extra art or words for your own purposes. Just like buying a bumper sticker.

0
Reply
Male 52
OK for those that are unaware:

The separation of church and state means that tax-payer money (read making license plates) can not be used for religious purposes.

Bumper stickers ok, cause it`s your car and your money.

The McCarthy hearings of the 1950`s (accusing Americans of being "black-listed" as communists)was responsible in part for "In god we trust" being on our currency. It should be removed. Crist is a moron.
In God We TrusT

McCarthism

0
Reply
Male 626
I pretty much agree Suga.
0
Reply
Male 357
HAHA awesome! love these religion threads, all the atheists and agnostics come out spitting venom and the Christians champion their victories!

COME ON PEOPLE, NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT GOD OR THE LACK THERE OF!

If ya dont like Jesus or his followers, dont buy the plate. If you have a different viewpoint, and you are willing to lobby for your own plate, im sure that you can have your very own Buddha, Mohammad, Gandhi, or Pat Robertson on your plate.

Personally I don`t need labels on my car to let the world know my thoughts or beliefs because:
1. If i identify with a religion, the people around me should be able to tell that I am religious, I don`t need to proclaim it obnoxiously.
2. No one really cares what i think or believe, least of all the people i cut off during rush hour!

0
Reply
Male 1,406
This is different from money. People have tried to defend God on money by saying it`s not supporting any specific religion, but this is clearly forwarding Christianity and should not be allowed. I don`t think the term God should be allowed on money either, but that`s another argument.
0
Reply
Female 15,763
Yeah, and the money needs to be changed as well.

One bad thing doesn`t mean it`s okay for another bad thing to happen.

0
Reply
Male 776
holy poo, seems like all it takes to be a rebel these days is to buy a jesus license plate based on this reaction...

the second you start having a problem over a license plate, you have personally gone over to the point of irrellevance

0
Reply
Female 2,927
big deal, if you dont want one you can get a different one, and it not done in bad taste so whats the big deal?
0
Reply
Male 10,440
This is disgusting. Clearly an endorsement of religion done by the state, as the reporter said.

My opinion of the US slips down another notch.

0
Reply
Female 678
Just wait till someone orders a Satan plate. Then we`ll see how the `dont like it don`t buy it` stance will last.
0
Reply
Male 976
Zerro... I 100% agree
0
Reply
Female 1,566
You know what I think? Who the hell cares. It`s a license plate. If you`re that offended by a stupid license plate, you need to get over yourself.
0
Reply
Male 626
I think License plates should have customizable backgrounds like checkbooks.
0
Reply
Male 1,598
Kind of funny that the governor`s last name is Crist...

Anyway, what really bothers me is that it`s a sad, crucified Jesus. I don`t want to see sad Jesus on all the cars when I go to Disney World.

0
Reply
Male 144
frumgf:

Atheist believe in No God.. correct?...so there will be no God on your license plate...problem solved? Would it be worth it to pay extra to advertise that one doesn`t believe in a deity anyways? (serious question)

0
Reply
Female 32
No, he doesn`t make a point with US currency. "In God We Trust" doesn`t belong on there either.
0
Reply
Male 2,440
I don`t live in Florida, but if I did, I would push the state to make Satan licence plates for me... & for the FSM, The Invisible Pink Unicorn, etc. But a licence plate for Satan would do just fine.

Wait, would they have a Zombie Jesus licence plate too?

0
Reply
Male 3,369
It is offensive. If you are prepared to offer a "christ" plate then you must be prapred to offer a plate for all other religions and atheists as well!

Where the budda plate? Equality for all I say!

0
Reply
Male 4,867
whats the big deal?
0
Reply
Male 11,739
I think it`s fine as long as it`s optional and they don`t veto legislation for plates supporting other religions too.
0
Reply
Female 876
Wow. Creepy. As long as it`s not the standard plate, I don`t care. But really -- that`s creepy. >.>
0
Reply
Female 310
the state needs all the money they can get considering florida has the lowest paid teachers and least funding for schools, it needs the extra income from the plates

besides if you dont like it you dont have to buy it

0
Reply
Male 3,296
its not like its the standart issue for platess.. its optional, whats the fuzz all about>
0
Reply
Female 2,674
I`m a Buddhist living in Florida and to be honest, as long as we aren`t required to have it, I don`t care at all. There`s worse things to get on this state about "Separation of church and state" than this. I cant wait until I`m done with college and move :(
0
Reply
Male 1,929
Fair enough. America is a bolted-on Christian country after all. Like he said, its on the money.
0
Reply
Male 1,220
Who cares?
0
Reply
Male 376
Not a big deal.
0
Reply
Male 3,482
I don`t see anything really wrong with this, and I`m atheist.

Live and let live is my policy. If people want to put that on their car, so be it. If not... So be it.

0
Reply
Male 720
Well that came out terribly.
0
Reply
Male 720
What the hell is the big deal? Crist: “If they don’t want one they don’t have to buy one.” Case closed.
0
Reply
Male 175
I don`t see why everyone`s getting their panties in a twist, its not that big a deal really
0
Reply
Female 164
This is why I hate living in Florida and can`t wait to be back in New York. Every day I see some tard with their state-funded pro-life license plate. Yet we don`t have any pro-choice ones. Nope, only "choose life". Now this. You know, if theres a jeebus plate, there`s going to have to be an atheist plate too. But there won`t be. It`s florida, tard land. Yet I have my FSM sticker and "support gay marriage" sticker, and my car gets keyed and dented while jesus freaks leave me notes on my windshield. Yet another example of ignorant backwards hicks getting their way and having a p.issy fit if someone with an opposing view point expresses their opinion. People still drive around here with McCain stickers on their cars because they can`t let it go. A.sshats. And if I see one more "yes on 2!" (ammendment to ban gay marriage in the constitution) sign still up I`m going to purposely hit someone. :D
0
Reply
Female 650
I don`t see whats all terrible about this.
It would be maybe better if they were allowing these plates and then plates for other religions like, the Star of David or something.
If people don`t like them, then they don`t have to buy them.
And it`s not like the person is trying to personally offend with their plates.
Personally, I would not want one on my car though.
Its just showing their faith. Kinda the same way you`d have band or radio station bumper stickers on your car.
0
Reply
Male 524
Like others have said, fine. I wouldn`t ever buy it, but i don`t mind if others have it.
0
Reply
Male 153
Don`t see what the big deal is. Like he said if you don`t like it than don`t buy it. And some times people take seperation of church and state way to literaly.
0
Reply
Male 14,331
Wow this guys an idiot wheres all the money from this going to go?
0
Reply
Male 2,125
So much for separation of church and state...
0
Reply
Male 20,826
Link: Check Out Florida`s Upcoming Licence Plates [Rate Link] - Fla. Gov. Crist is to soon give these Jesus plates the green light. Good or bad? He does make a point with US currency.
0
Reply