U.N. Adopts Anti-Blasphemy Resolution

Submitted by: Mjustin 8 years ago in

This new resolution would make it a crime to criticize religion. Uh oh.
Credits: sixclaws
There are 180 comments:
Female 538
Heh I would be imprisoned in minutes,
0
Reply
Male 1,623
"They`re not taking away the rights of Atheists, they`re just making it illegal to criticize religion. And how much help has criticizing religion EVER done for the world? ...none. It`s only created hostility between Atheists and Theists."

If no one had criticized religion, we would still believe that the Earth was flat, we would never have come up with the idea of Science, we would believe there were only 3 continents, and we would still pay taxes to the Roman church. In fact, we would never see progress beyond that of the early medieval period.

0
Reply
Female 316
yeah... THIS would be followed in the US...

since when has the UN followed up on anything it`s passed? breaking its regulations pretty much gets you a "don`t do that" and no action whatsoever.

although the US would probably do its own thing even if they enforced it.

0
Reply
Male 995
Yeah, `cos all the resolutions that the UN pass are obeyed to the letter... specially by the United States...
0
Reply
Male 51
That was one hell of a spin though. Making it only about Islam.
0
Reply
Male 51
They`re not taking away the rights of Atheists, they`re just making it illegal to criticize religion. And how much help has criticizing religion EVER done for the world? ...none. It`s only created hostility between Atheists and Theists.
0
Reply
Male 45
this is absolute bo***cks =|
i cant believe what this world is coming to
im sick of all this political correctness
its gone way too far
0
Reply
Male 1,086
Two edged sword...haha.
0
Reply
Female 4,028
I think I`m just going to go cry for the world now...
0
Reply
Male 674
And what about the 1 billion Atheists? We don`t get protection because we don`t believe in fairies?
0
Reply
Female 328
Oooooooooooooooooooooh crap...
0
Reply
Female 340
Wow, talk about a right-wing spin on that!

"against defamation of religions" means ALL RELIGIONS, not just Islam! This means that the Christians would get the protection, the Pagans, the Jews, the Muslims, EVERYONE WHO FOLLOWS A RELIGION WOULD bE PROTECTED AGAINST DEFAMATION.

Stupid media...

0
Reply
Male 151
doesnt matter anyway, the U.N. cant enforce $hit
0
Reply
Female 2,289
wow... this is f*cked up.
0
Reply
Female 194
If this is passed... We are SO F*CKED.
;______;
0
Reply
Male 107
facepalm.gif
0
Reply
Male 564
I read somewhere that people are given life, liberty, and the pursuit of happyness /in that order/. So, yelling fire in a theatre is possibly endangering life, which is more important than liberty. I think that`s the whole idea of the Patriot Act. The same thing applies to discrimination. Discriminating can endanger a life, so the liberty that allows one to discriminate can be voided.

Personally, however, I think that the rant above can only apply in certain situations. The UN shouldn`t be treating the world like a child and slapping our hand when we reach for the cookies. The UN should be slapping our hand when we have a gun and threaten to kill someone if they don`t get a cookie.

0
Reply
Female 158
as a christian, i think this is wrong. what about free speech?
0
Reply
Male 383
and insinuating that ‘non-democratic’ Islamic countries are bushing for this resolution to be passed. Are the people working for CNN really this stupid? It’s almost hard to believe.

Secondly, this is a GA resolution, which is not binding in any way. This resolution doesn’t force a country to do anything at all, so get over it. If it was a Security Council resolution it would be binding, but there is something called the veto, and I doubt any veto power nation would vote in favour of this.

Lastly, as to the comments here; Stop your UN conspiracy theories and figure out how it actually works before commenting.

/end rant.

0
Reply
Male 383
Alright, I created an account just to be able to say this;

CNN and people are idiots. I`ve only seen a handful of comments on here which are at least somewhat accurate.

First of all as to the CNN: The CNN states that the United Nations adopts an anti-blasphemy resolution. This is inaccurate, there is currently a resolution proposed IN the UN to do such a thing, this is NOT the UN trying to force countries to change their national laws for a number of reasons.

First of all, the resolution has been proposed by a number of member states, this is therefore an initiative from some countries in/to the United Nations, not by the United Nations itself. Claiming that the United Nations is trying to do this or that is ridiculous, seeing as it is an organisation representing the interests of numerous members. There is no `secret hidden UN agenda`. The CNN seems to be indecisive, alternating between stating that the UN is trying to force the United States to adopt anti blasphemy laws

0
Reply
Male 19
drat religion. I am so sick of it ruining everyone`s life. It made my dad insane and forced me out of my home. Now we aren`t allowed to criticize actions incited by imaginary gods speaking to everyone except those who are sane and rationale. drat. I`m moving to an island with my wench.
0
Reply
Male 452
rate this video high because then more people will see it.
0
Reply
Male 432
Do I rate the video or the resolution?

I`ll put a 1 just because I`m so pissed off.

0
Reply
Male 384
patchouly- im not forgetting the "good" the U.N. has done...
i just dont care.
lemme put it in context, i think people will agree
ok, lets say you have a friend, and this friend , over the course of many years, do quite a few nice things to and for you...
until one day, he decides to steal from you, lets say a t.v. set.

now, because he`s done nice things for you, you should just let that slide, right?

no, you would hold him accountable, and probably wont be his friend any longer, huh?

well, with this law, the U.N. seeks to steal MY freedom of speech.

i think the friendship is off.

0
Reply
Male 16
drat christ, drat god, drat religiob
0
Reply
Male 4,745
I think folks are forgetting all the good things the U.N. have done.

Just because some of it`s members being up the idea of banning blasphemy, doesn`t mean the U.N. is bad and it doesn`t mean it will happen...

0
Reply
Male 384
if this passes, im going to the woods with guns, tools, and family. this, and this alone, will cause me to completely give up on "civilazation", and go back to living like people did about 300 years ago.


something tells me i wont be the only one.

0
Reply
Female 495
"Mark my words.....Be prepared, The writing is on the wall."

I don`t claim to be an expert. And you may well know more about this than me, I can see why you may think that given Israel and the Osirak incident etc etc. But no. It would take something very unforeseen for that to happen. Although Israel bombing… I wouldn’t for a second put it past them.

Of course... the unforeseen happens all the time. That`s what makes life so exciting, and if you try to predict you will always be disappointed. But thinking through it methodically and thinking of possible future occurences in this regard, I think there are many other possibilities regarding Israel and the Middle East that are far more likely. Although none of them attractive.

I probably have a very un-healthy LACK of fear about nuclear weapons. I even see some major advantages in them. A world war three is highly unlikely, which is just as well or it would probably be of the kind you mentioned.

0
Reply
Male 43
"Bigotry is the disease of ignorance, of morbid minds; enthusiasm of the free and buoyant. Education & free discussion are the antidotes of both."
Thomas Jefferson
0
Reply
Male 17,511
Mark my words, You are going to see Israel bomb the hell out of Iran and take out it`s nuclear capability. This will start WWIII, This war will primarily be among Judeo/Christian and Muslim nations. The main result will a very radioactive middle east, and a huge loss of oil supplies.

Be prepared, The writing is on the wall.

0
Reply
Male 801
Look. I`d had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was, `That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.`
0
Reply
Male 452
seriously those damn islamists making trouble again. Instead we should ban Islam - you know like they ban violent video games because they have a bad influence of people (as they say in for example Australia).
0
Reply
Male 8,300
> JacobTrue13
> stop going crazy people. Not gonna effect anything.

Especially since the word is "AFFECT" not "effect". Look it up.

0
Reply
Male 1,623
So they want a law that announces ignorance as a victor over science and reasonable debate?
0
Reply
Male 260
stop going crazy people. Not gonna effect anything.
0
Reply
Male 21
I feel a tasty holocaust in the middle east is needed...
0
Reply
Female 528
Theocracies are the scariest countries. Although the U.N. obviously can`t force you to adopt its policies.
0
Reply
Male 74
Funny to see how the Right-wingers have spun this one.

The law accounts to ALL religions. Muslim and Christian.

0
Reply
Male 2,372
"...a crime to criticize religion. In particular, Islam."

Of COURSE. What a joke.

This means that the moment the floor yields to a member who criticizes Sharia, a point of order is called, and the speaker looses the floor. Got a problem with adulterers getting stoned? Too bad. That`s blasphemy. Got something against that suicide bomber quoting the Koran as justification for his murder? Why, that`s blasphemy old chap.

Of course, you won`t really see too much action when it comes to calling Jew "apes and pigs." You won`t see any crack down on Christians being threatened with death unless they convert to Islam. In fact, even hinting that this is even going on will be "blasphemy".

Makes me want to go buy a skid load of Danish Cartoon T-shirts.

0
Reply
Female 495
Also, I strongly doubt whether any resolution would be passed which would go against any provisions made in the covenants on human rights.
0
Reply
Female 495
No No No.. That video is wrong, and full of crap just to spark debate and make some new news!!!

They are talking out of their arses!!

Just for starters... there is no such thing as a binding GA resolution! If it gets passed, America doesn`t have to abide by it! The U.N is not going to make you do anything that goes against your constitution! The only way that such a new law would be binding would be if the Security Council made you guys do it for whatever reason (which they wouldnt, because it`s sitting pretty with its veto). Or, if America were to sign a treaty agreeing to it! Which it won`t.

Also... even if somehow was entrenched into customary international law. Which it won`t. It wouldn`t apply to America if America was a consistent objector. Which it would be.

In short... this is just something which has been brought out of all proportion, it isn`t even something new given provisions in the UCHR for protection of religion (its clearly something that they care about).

0
Reply
Male 674
Wait, so Blasphemy may become a crime? Well if So, as The Self Proclaimed Head of the Pastafarians, I feel the need to inform the world that his noodliness has revealed unto me that refusing to accept that all beings that are worshiped are merely noodles and meatballs within his effigy, that all of the spiritual beings are but a part of him, those that do not accept this are blasphemous, and should humanity make such a heinous crime punishable, than I am afraid we will have to build many, many more prisons. Or we could make it punishable by death and that would solve world hunger.
0
Reply
Female 1,653
Would it be bad to blashpeme on a US site when Im in the UK? (slightly confused)
Anyway, this is a ridiculous rule that goes against free speech, and tbh if it goes through crime rates are gonna go up pretty fast
0
Reply
Male 89
drat religion.
0
Reply
Female 230
FIALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!
0
Reply
Male 380
OH NOEZ!!! GOVERNMENTS!!!
0
Reply
Female 1,082
wow... i read dukat`s post and i had never heard of female circumcision before. looked it up and there is no way that is not child abuse.
0
Reply
Male 2,344
Back to the old European ways, but slightly more lenient...
0
Reply
Male 8,300
> patthebaker
> I saw... today. I personally thought it was... what do you think IAB?

I think it`s completely off-topic. Sorry pat, this isn`t an Open Forum. Have you tried the I-A-B Chat?

0
Reply
Female 71
Don`t know if this is true or not - do know I have detested the U.N. since the 70`s when they refused to acknowledge that female circumcism is child abuse: rather, they said, it is simply cultural. Oh - and great job in Rwanda, by the way.
0
Reply
Male 45
Anyone actually think this is going to happen? People love fighting over religion. Why? I will never understand. But everyone does no matter where they live. Christians criticize Muslims, Muslims criticize Jews, Jews criticize Christians, and everyone criticizes Scientologists. Frankly I`d rather have people arguing about religion through the form of film or book or debate than the way people used to argue about religion which was mercilessly slaughtering millions of people over who gets Jerusalem.
0
Reply
Female 2,228
....

Did anyone even bother to read the links on the first page of the forum about this? Anyone?

Dobby is faking it-again. Leaving out some important facts,distorting everything else with fear mongering/innuendo. Big surprise.

0
Reply
Male 868
Won`t happen.
0
Reply
Female 1,082
*disagreement
0
Reply
Female 1,082
that is seriously F*CKED UP. technically by this resolution it would be illegal to have a respectful debate/disagrerement about religion, which is something that we are guaranteed to be allowed by our constitution.
0
Reply
Male 29
I know the argument here is freedom say what we want about any religion with out threat of persecution, but I`ve begun thinking on this on a much broader scale. A religion is like a government in the way that both set up rules and regulations along with a code of conduct that have to be agreed upon by the members of the said organizations or social contracts. If they, that is the power that be start by restricting our right to voice our beliefs how long do you think it`ll take them to decided that saying anything opposed to the government is blasphemy. I have already heard the word blasphemy use in conjunction with disagreeing with the government here (In the US). If those that sit at the top declare a national religion, suddenly it doesn`t seem like that much of jump, because then voicing any opinion opposed to the government really will have become blasphemy, and in cooperation with such resolution, I can foresee hidden police and people suddenly disappearing for voicing any opinion
0
Reply
Male 1,265
This would be worth it just to see all the whining people would do. Criticizing religion is stupid. Criticize actions, not beliefs. Get over it.
0
Reply
Male 86
In addition to my previous post, the current treaty we have with he UN is illegal to begin with. Treaties are compacts between/among "the powers of the earth" of "separate and equal station" as stipulated in the Declaration of Independence, and therefore treaties may not be consummated with other than sovereign nations. The UNn is not a sovereign nation, but an organization (like the World Trade Organization). Consequently, for at least these two reasons --- 1) because the U.S. Senate in 1945 ratified the United Nations (UN) Charter as a treaty and the UN is not a sovereign nation, and 2) because membership in the UN makes the U.S. inferior to the UN --- U.S. "membership" in the United Nations is unconstitutional, FORBIDDEN, and thus declared null and void. Ditto for the World Court and the nebulous entanglements of the New World Order.
0
Reply
Male 251
life*
0
Reply
Female 1,516
This is just BEGGING for trouble.
0
Reply
Male 251
I still fail to see why additional resolutions were needed. If you go to Part 2, statement 1 of the UN Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the act of rallying others to infringe upon that statement is already considered illegal.

My original point was that: by making new resolutions to specifiy particular acts which are already covered, one is opening the door to additional denials not already covered. It is redundant if not changing. If it is changing, it will NOT make more of a difference than what is already written other than by weakening the original statements and furthering possibilities for additional limitations. These are the types of things that make the U.N. one of the worst examples of bureaucratic bull poop.

P.S. Tomatoes with salt is good, but subtract the salt, toss on some aged balsamic vinegar and fresh basil, and you`re freaking loving li

0
Reply
Male 86
Something the video failed to mention is that the US is not Constitutionally bound by any resolution the UN makes. Article 6 of our own Constitution states "This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, UNDER (emphasis added) the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding." The united States has authority OVER any treaties it makes. The Constitution is the ultimate authority even over these treaties. Until we stand out ground on what the Contstution REALLY says, we will get bullied by the UN. No treaty can overrule our rights as Americans given and clearly stated in the Constitution. ESPECIALLY the First Amendment, which already protects freedom of religion AND simultaneously the freedom of speech regarding it.
0
Reply
Male 362
Just, simple as that? No possibilities of underground movements, no widespread (but hidden) racial violence, no outcries of "Big Brother"?, no "How the Hell do you actually enforce this?" Everyone hates everyone, even I hate just about everyone. I`ve said I hate n*ggers quite a few times, I`ve heard black people say they hate cholos a few times, I heard a mexican say she wants all whities to die. Nothing ever came of it, and all the anti-Muslim crap here boiled down by itself within a year or two after September 11th, 2001. I predict the hating of Muslims in Europe will be over within five years, and then when another race mass-immigrates, the cycle starts again until it becomes a mindset to tolerate all races. Problem solved without spending billions of dollars in tracking down "haters", like the failed "War on Drugs."
0
Reply
Male 7,933
"Its the freaken U.N, what are they going to do to in force this? Write an angry letter?"

HEY! THE UN WILL.... your probably right

0
Reply
Male 4,546
In a simplistic model:

You have a generator of hate.
You remove said generator of hate.

Hate ceases to be generated.

In what I believe to be the actual case: There will be anger against the removal, and then it will be forgotten.

Leaving the generator in place will generate hatred on a daily basis for 50 years. Easily.

0
Reply
Male 756
Doesn`t matter. Since when has the U.N. been relevant?
0
Reply
Male 142
Its the freaken U.N, what are they going to do to in force this? Write an angry letter?
0
Reply
Male 362
The blacks weren`t forced into being intergrated, they were simply given the same rights that white citizens already had. The acceptance and then over-praising of black culture occured because of social movements, not by government mandate (although not being viewed as a second-class citizen helped.) And if we are living in world where the media is more important than the law, then I say it would time to revolt. But personal idealolgies aside, I pose this question directly to you; how would the banning of hate speech against anybody and everybody breed goodwill toward everyone?
0
Reply
Male 4,546
On Cucumber:
I only put salt on Cucumbers and Tomato really. I`m not fond of peanut butter.

On victory:
Sorry, let me draw the parallel I`m making first.
I`m suggesting blacks made an unpopular move which forced them to the forefront of society. Forcing integration and whatnot.

This gave people a chance to interact more with blacks and forced some recognition.

I agree this could be done with Arabs/Muslims, which is why I applauded "Little Mosque on the Prairie" and whatnot.

However, I also feel that we are living in a time where media fairness is more important and less tumultuous.

In addition, Blacks were outnumbered 10 to 1. Muslims are outnumbered 10 times that. Reasonable change may not be as accomplished in the exact same fashion, simply because you cannot expose enough Americans to Muslims except via media.

Media that is currently horrendously misrepresenting us.

0
Reply
Male 354
if you really want to be healthy eat it plain.... peanut butter isnt all that good for you either >.> XD
0
Reply
Female 1,578
Well, Baalthazaq, i like my cucumber with peanut butter. I think that is healthier than salt. Do you put salt on many things?
0
Reply
Male 362
Baalthazag:
C`mon now, don`t throw sarcasm into my ideas. Rising up is exactly what the blacks did in the 1960`s, and that turned out pretty well.
So, special protection it may not be, what about the other points of my previous post?
0
Reply
Male 4,546
*Bangs head into desk*

Yes, my solution was silly. Your advice for Muslims to rise up against the oppressors no doubt will do nothing but foster great love between our peoples.

Also, it is not giving special protection under the law. For the trillionth time. It would apply to Jews in Islamic states as much as Hindus in Puerto Rico, to Christians in Jamaica, to Bhuddists in Papua New Guinea.

0
Reply
Male 362
And if it was illegal, then I would be glared at constantly and be harrassed in more subtle ways that do not fall under the law. How would I ever mature as a human if I constantly relied on a nanny government to solve my problems? We`re breeding a generation of pussies, and if a race is being harrassed, it is fully within (or at least should be) their right to strike back against those who strike them.
0
Reply
Male 29
I don`t think he is too concerned with it as he is an Ausie and their answer is always censorship, it`s there number one choice to end problems... By simply not talking about them.
0
Reply
Male 362
Baalthazag:
I am completely aware of that struggle. That, however, was for equal rights under the law, which I applaud. This is simply a psuedo-intellectual theory that has the audacity to suggest that forcing public hate into the underground would somehow make people more "sensitive" to other cultures. If I was a militantly racist person, this would just make me MORE hateful towards the race I hate, because the law would directly affect me, and not to mention it was the race I hate that pushed for the law in the first place. Being a devout libertarian, I am all for equal rights, but when laws like Affirmative Action give a race more of edge simply for being that race, I want nothing more than for D.C. to burn to the ground. This resolution is giving special protection under the law, something which I oppose morally and politically. I don`t want it to be illegal for black people to harrass me and shout "cracker" because that`s MY problem, not the government`s
0
Reply
Male 4,546
Lionhart:
"Take off the "Your Mom Gives Great Head" t-shirt??"

So your answer is censorship? What happened to my freedom of speech?

0
Reply
Male 29
Wow Lion... that`s really drated up thing to say.
0
Reply
Male 8,300
> Baalthazaq
> In primary school I was beaten up by Atheists... In Scotland I was attacked by a plethora of people with whom I did not stop to have theological discussions with.... In Newcastle I was attacked by a drunk...

Take off the "Your Mom Gives Great Head" t-shirt??

0
Reply
Male 524
lol
0
Reply
Male 8,300
A crime to criticize religion?? Oh great, there goes every good debate we ever have on A-I-B!!
0
Reply
Male 29
That would be awesome. ^_^
0
Reply
Male 29
XD okay yeah I guess Warren G. was a whole poo ton crappier than bush was, but you still have to admit, Bush was, and still is a drating idiot.
0
Reply
Male 4,546
Wbreeck:
If you want a theological discussion we could have one elsewhere.
0
Reply
Male 4,546
Cucumbers with salt.
0
Reply
Male 4,546
Indeed Victory7.

Actually out of 8 Muslim friends I had living in the states in 2000, only 2 remain. In the UK, I moved back to Dubai along with my entire family.

Are you seriously suggesting that this is progress? Are you not familiar at *all* with the African American struggle in the US?

People stay in the UK in the US with the blind hope that you are what you say you are, or that if you are not you can be fixed.

Are you seriously suggesting there is no hope left for America? That is so depressing.

0
Reply
Male 29
Baalthazag, I`m completely willing to have a theological debate with you, I managed to turn off the Auto type on the computer so my grammar should have dramatically improved. I love debating with other about their beliefs it allows the exchange of thought`s and morals, all though most religions do share common moral guide lines. I believe the golden rule is almost universal.
0
Reply
Female 1,578
Baalthazaq, i was just wondering.... what is your favorite vegetable/healthy snack?
0
Reply
Male 4,546
Oh! and I was once chased with an axe. Fun story.

A fecking axe. Like in the term "axe murderer"? Although I never associated that with anything racist or islamophobic because I just sided with "crazy" on that front.

0
Reply
Male 362
Baalthazag:
You make a point about protecting innocent people and whatnot, but quite frankly, if they don`t have the personal courage to throw off their oppressors, I don`t see a need to protect a group(s) that can`t protect themselves. Furthermore, a law like this would only force the "hate" underground, and in turn become even more violent towards the innocent. A government cannot solve social problems, that is up to the citizens themselves. And if a people are horribly discriminated against, what`s stopping them from moving out? No one forced them into a country, and they willingly walked in on another culture who clearly doesn`t accept them.
0
Reply
Male 4,546
Lazyme:
It depends what you mean.

In primary school I was beaten up by Atheists for believing in God. The UK is not like the states, it is mostly secular.

In Scotland I was attacked by a plethora of people with whom I did not stop to have theological discussions with.

In Newcastle I was attacked by a drunk and a guy in an England Football shirt.

My Mother was attacked by a Christian the first time. Although who bricked the house windows and my dad`s car was unknown.

A Christian threw a brick at my sister.

Other than that again, theological discussions did not take place.

(Also, I`m suggesting here that hatred is created, not inherent. I`ve not met a racist newborn, as such, inciting discrimination and hatred could be a problem here).

0
Reply
Male 649
well i am off to work so i will end my part of this disscusion with one last statment.................I like grapes
0
Reply
Male 29
EH see this is why I stopped watching the mainstream media awhile ago, I know it`s full of double speak and crap. I try to get my information from more then one source... Also I happen to think Pat Robertson is a complete and utter nutter. I also hated the bush presidency. calling him the worst possible president would be an incredible understatement.
0
Reply
Male 4,546
Look. I`m not against the mythical freedom of speech you seem to think I`m against.

I honestly don`t mind the criticism. I spent years dealing with people on Infidels.org (look in their archives, I have about 2000 posts/essays/ and even star in one of the short stories there).

But there is a fundamental difference between debating African culture and populating misinformation about them being cannibals and therefore not allowed in civilized society.

0
Reply
Male 2,148
For anybody who carers to know: No country will ever be forced by the UN to change their own laws to constrict freedom of speech. No UN actions are mandated until passed through the Security Counsil. The United States has automatic veto power in the UNSC and will veto this resolution every time it is brought before them.
0
Reply
Male 649
ah ok lol sorry didn`t know that. but now i know and knowing is half the battle lol
0
Reply
Male 10,440
.... So you were beaten up by christians then?

Damn those rowdy christians and their violent ways!

The fact of the matter is that if someone hates you because of your religion, it doesn`t matter weather either of you have `free speech` or not. If there is hate, there will be violence.

0
Reply
Male 649
never said anything about racial profiling. i was mearly offering a simple solution to a problem. you would be surprised theeffect that comedy can have
0
Reply
Male 4,546
And outfire (sorry for the delayed response):

I think anything making it easier to convict people of hate crimes that are currently low on the radar of several countries is a good thing.

So far many people, including Pat Robertson:
"These people are crazed fanatics, and I want to say it now: I believe it`s motivated by demonic power. It is Satanic and it`s time we recognize what we`re dealing with."

and

"When I said during my presidential bid that I would bring only Christians and Jews into the government, I hit a firestorm. `What do you mean?` the media challenged me. `You`re not going to bring atheists into the government? How dare you maintain that those who believe in Christian values are better qualified to govern America than Hindus and Muslims?` My simple answer is, `Yes, they are.`"

This isn`t a Muslim issue just because the video says it is. It is a tolerance issue.

0
Reply
Male 649
sealand? isn`t that where shamoo lives or how ever you spell it lol
0
Reply
Male 29
An just for the record. I have nothing against your religion I even have some Islamic friends. It`s not just Islam that is the problem. It`s all radical or extreme forms of religion (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, extra...). People need to learn that moderation is the key when it comes to things like religion, but you can`t force it on them other wise you risk having them explode in your face. And it`s not just religion either, there some radical or extreme forms of government that are also harmful too. I would like to apologize for getting a let over zealous with my posting, I did not mean to offend you. It`s just that I happen to hold freedom very close to my heart, I would rather die then give up freedom for a fake promise of security. The U.N. decree would just that, ask you to give up just a little bit of freedom just so you can get the feeling of being safe even when you are not. The bill would not stop the hate crimes from happening.
0
Reply
Male 649
You know i am not an athiest nor am i religious by any means in fact i find organized religion to be kinda frightning and a bad idea, but it is my right to think and say such things. I am willing to die for my ability to say how i feel. just cause i don`t agree with someones point of view doesn`t mean i shouldn`t be able to say so and if i feel like it poke fun of it alittle. you know how you take away racisim by number one takeing the race out of the equation and realizing there is only one race, the human race and we are all part of it. number two humor. humor can be used to break down the barriers that are currently there by small minded people to help people to relate to one another. and yes i know it can have the opposite affect butit all depends on how you use it
0
Reply
Male 354
baal is right there is no country that has true freedom of speech. america has multiple regulations against certain things that involve speech
0
Reply
Male 524
paddyboom

So, we`re going into the whole americans are idiots thing again eh? Don`t you have this exact same problem in europe? please correct me if i`m wrong.

0
Reply
Male 4,546
Lazyme: for the fourth time I... drat it. Read what I said the first second and third time.

No. I didn`t say that. Even in the post you read to get that information, I didn`t say that.

drat it, here it is again:

"I mentioned an Atheist because the person I responded to mentioned an Atheist"

0
Reply
Male 354
paddy by saying that you seem to have more of a prejudice against the USA than anyone i have ever meet here has against others.
0
Reply
Male 649
ah censorship is fun huh?! lol well that fits in well with the topic of free speech
0
Reply
Male 4,546
You don`t get it do you.

I would rather not wait for the lynchings any more than you would rather wait for the suicide bombers.

An Iranian cleric doesn`t have to tell anyone to become a suicide bomber, all he has to do is rile up enough rhetoric about America and there will be someone in his audience of thousands to do his dirty work somewhere along the lines.

It is beneficial to stop that cleric. There will be an endless supply of nutcases.

The UK has it`s fair share of nutcases. If we wait for every lynching there will be enough nutcases to last forever.

You do not *currently* have complete freedom of speech. You cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theatre unless there is a fire.

You don`t fight for the right to endanger people that directly. The only difference is you can`t see the connection this time. It`s still there.

0
Reply
Male 10,440
Oh phew... They got it wrong. Thank Zeus.
http://www.undispatch.com/node/7768

Alright, so the UN isn`t full of bullshi1t... I take it back. But the point remains, if someone was ever to take away people`s right to free speech, it would spark and uprising and the people in power know it.

... oh and Balthazaq, are you saying you were beaten up by atheists? As amusing as that is, I don`t believe it for a second. In fact its the most ridiculous thing I`ve read all week.

There is a difference between free speech and allowing violence like that and its a pretty blatantly obvious difference that just about the entire world recognizes.

0
Reply
Male 203
Poor US, you won`t be able to let the world know how racist you are. Also Hitchens looked darn ill no?
0
Reply
Male 29
Sorry for all the grammatical errors someone had the stupid auto type setting on the computer I`m using.
0
Reply
Male 524
drat is what the iab censor replaces the f word with.
0
Reply
Male 29
Dude under western law everyone is granted equal protecting if someone organizes a lynching mob their going to drating jail and are probably getting put to death. If someone starts pushing to pass a law that make it illegal for me to speak my mind I`m going to fight them tooth and nail all the way, and if possible day for it. I`m not giving an inch of my freedom just cause your frightened of what people might say drat that poo all that`s going to do is mobilize more poeple to drating hate you.
0
Reply
Male 4,546
Kryptonite:

As I said, 3 times now, it means not a jot that you take offence.
drat you. drat your mom. In the ass.

See? Not mattering. Take offence. Good for you.

The point is I`m not discriminating against you. I didn`t say "drat you because you`re atheist" "Hey look the atheists eat children" "Don`t hire atheists they`re lazy" "If we don`t do something about Atheists soon they`ll take over" etc.

And generally riling public sentiment against you to the point where you can`t walk outside without fear for your safety.

Simple difference:
One you feel annoyed (admittedly, in your head somewhere).
The other, you run the risk of being knifed or shot while shopping (again, possibly in the head, so I can see where the confusion lies).

0
Reply
Male 182
Kind of scary if you ask me. So what happens if the Islamic movement wants to try to democratically put something into law...you know something which goes against other religions...and puts it in such a way that refusing to sign it into law would be an insult to their religion.....

If you thought the Christian whackos had massive power to pull together and put bullpoo into law...just think of what this Islamic dictatorship could do to the rest of the world....

Just sayin`....

0
Reply
Male 649
What the hell is drat?
0
Reply
Male 275
this is onion news right
0
Reply
Male 524
ugh, wbreeck, the way you post hurts my ears.

Anyways, baalthazaq, i understand where you are coming from, and feel sorry for what`s happened. I had no idea it was that bad, sorry to sound ignorant. I have my doubts though, that this would truly stop people from doing these things, please explain how you expect it to help? Is it supposed to lessen the bad reputation that islam has? In which case isn`t that already libel and slander? and like someone else said, conspiracy to commit murder is also a crime, so i just don`t see this having much extra effect.

0
Reply
Male 4,546
I mentioned an Atheist because the person I responded to mentioned an Atheist. Given your track record of illiteracy so far, I`ll let you off.

1) The UN is not banning criticism of religion any more than it is banning unicorn rights.

2) It is specifically discussing discrimination. As I said in the post you`re criticising. Read it again and again and again until it sinks in.

"drat you" - fine
"Lets not give them jobs because they`re muslim" - Not.
"Lets lynch them" - Not.

Understand yet? No?

Slotherder:
Blame it on western law? Like I think The law specifies beating up Muslims? Obviously not.

I think there are not enough protections in place. I would suggest that I should at least drating KNOW a Muslim in the UK who hasn`t been discriminated against after living there 12 years, and as it stands I don`t.

I`m gonna go ahead and take that as a sign they aren`t doing enough.

0
Reply
Male 649
Baalthazaq: what you are talking about is conspiracy to commit murder which is a crime. free speach is about voiceing your opinion not organizing a group/ lynch mob to go and take a someones life. as it stands you can say you don`t like this person or that person for what ever belief they may have and you can even say that you wish they were dead or even that you could kill him. the part that it becomes a crime is when you organize people to do so. its when you act on the statment that your going to kill someone. making the statment is your right and that right should never be taken away. what you said and actual free speech are two compleatly differnt things.
0
Reply
Male 29
... Dude I`m sorry about the poo your people are going through, and I know it`s not your all`s fault. I know it`s not right whats going, however forcing a law on people that prevent them from expressing freedom of speech pisses me the drat, also I am a drating adult, so stop calling people children and man the drat up.
0
Reply
Male 10,440
Oh they will regret this... This is utter bullpoo and I am enraged to hear that the UN would allow it. Rest assured that the people of the western world will not allow this crap.

I agree with sTuFFt... take away free speech and the world will descend into anarchy. As the reporter said, this must be stopped now. And I am pleased to see that just about everyone is against it as well.

0
Reply
Male 354
patti islam is the only religion to keep reminding us because it is the only one that gets called into question. if i kept saying Christianity is a religion of violence then Christians would defend itself everytime i say that. the same is what is happening to islam. they are defending themselves
0
Reply
Male 89
Baalthazaq: i`m atheist. are you saying i`m more likely to discriminate against those who practice religion? how is that fair? you`ve just discriminated against my beliefs. and i take offence to that.
0
Reply
Male 29
Also by the way I am an Atheist and I`m insulted by you last post, a lot of Atheists are rather tolerant of other choice in belief, so just shut the drat up face mecca pray to Ala and wait for the drating storm to pass... Mother drating pussy.
0
Reply
Male 4,546
Actually Wbreeck, I was suggesting that a 6 year old girl should not have to be "man enough to deal", but I see your point. Oh wait, not in the slightest.

I am not against talking about religion, or even criticizing it. If that`s what this law stated I would be against it.

So shut the drat up and deal with your own fantasies about what the UN is doing on your own time while the adults deal with the laws they`re actually writing down on paper.

Those that deal with discrimination, and not simple criticism.

0
Reply
Male 29
Baalthazaq While I respect where your coming from and even sympathies with you would kindly please SHUT THE drat AND LEAVE MY FREEDOM OF SPEECH ALONE JUST CAUSE YOUR NOT MAN ENOUGH TO dratING DEAL! Every drating religion goes through this poo just cause it`s Islams drating turn doesn`t mean they get a pass. And before you say I`m racist, I am not I don`t give a flying liver drat what color your skin is, but I do think that religion should be kept as far away from the government as drating possible.
0
Reply
Male 251
Hey Baalthazaq, you say you`ve been attacked. Not that I don`t believe you, but do you blame those attacks on western law? Do you really think that telling people what they can and can not say will stop that sort of thing? The U.N. is already ALL ABOUT anti-discrimination.

You should not have been attacked simply because you are a Muslim. That is wrong. Those people should be tried and punnished accordingly. However, if you seek to erode the laws which protect your own liberties, you are attacking yourself, as well.

0
Reply
Male 326
And thank you for the link showing that this is entirely made of poo and fail.
0
Reply
Male 326
The fastest to way to get the human race to do something is to ban it. While the motives behind this are well intentioned, hate isn`t overcome by forced silence.

Education is the main problem, at least here in the united states. The predominately Christian society here is frightened by the idea of children learning about religions outside of their own. Ignorance creates fear and perpetuates this problem. If your so sure your religion is correct let your children learn about others and decide for themselves. They`ll have a stronger faith, and they won`t hate and fear by carrying on a legacy of ignorance.

0
Reply
Male 4,546
Stufft:
What is the full text of the actual resolution, and not what Lou Dobbs said?

It specifically states portions about discrimination, hatred and violence.

What if an atheist walked by trying to rally a crowd together to kill your family? Telling people where you lived? "Lets kill them while they sleep"?

This isn`t about who feels nicer.
This is about my friend losing 8 teeth.
This is about my mother being beaten with a cane.
This is about my 6 year old sister being hospitalized by a thrown brick to the back.

That is the kind of prejudice that is being created here! This is not a matter of me being able to talk smack on an internet forum. This is real life deary, and whilst your idealist poo sounds good on IAB, in the real world, real people have to suffer for your bullpoo.

0
Reply
Male 72
Every United States citizen has the right to freedom of speech.

Furthermore, being a devote christian, I can go into Centre Square and start preaching from my bible until I can`t preach anymore. But if an athiest happened to wander by, and hear my preaching, he is not allowed to voice his opinion about my religion, whether it be a gentle, "Religion is wrong", or a harsh "Get the f*uck off the street, you ignorant buffoon! God does not f*cking exist!", he would be arrested, and I think that is wrong. Everyone has a right to their opinion and beliefs, and the right to defend their beliefs.

0
Reply
Male 1,404
Fritolicious said "A UN binding resolution... oh no! Whatever will we do?" Well stop funding the UN and throw them out like the garbage they have become is a start. NY needs a new park.
0
Reply
Male 265
Great... can`t wait for the oppression to sink in.
0
Reply
Male 375
wow, sounds like its time for the UN to move.
0
Reply
Male 4,546
"According to polls, 39 percent of Americans say U.S. Muslims should carry special identification." Link

You`re doing great. Seriously. You haven`t got a fecking clue what freedom is if you think things are ok the way they are.

You`re protecting a Blood Libel. Nothing less.

0
Reply
Male 376
drat this. If I want to call islam a hypocritical religion, I dratING WILL, or any religion for that matter. drating politically correct times.
0
Reply
Male 1,204
boglob, proper spelling should probably be more scared than some nonsence written on some website in the middle of nowhere.

yes, i purposely mispelled that. trying to bring about a point. because i know people won`t get the joke.

0
Reply
Female 237
It`s just not an effective way to deal with discrimination. Yes, attacking someone`s religion in a harmful way is wrong, but attacking people who disagree with your religion is equally harmful and abusive.
0
Reply
Female 237
Great... another freedom threatened. Not long till the US isn`t even a free country, at the rate we`re going. At least the US opposes the resolution. Let`s just hope it doesn`t pass... what an aweful and misguided idea.
0
Reply
Male 199
A UN binding resolution... oh no! Whatever will we do?

0
Reply
Male 63
Freedom of speach is more scared than some made up nonsence written in an ancient book of fables
0
Reply
Male 564
"The US constitution is the highest law in the land, and changing it would be ridiculously impossible, especially with a democratically controlled executive and legislative branch. This doesn`t scare me at all hah!"

I hope that you`re being sarcastic. Otherwise, you`re faith in sacredness of the constitution is misguided.

"ala and mohommed get gay with each other."

Not that you really care, but I`m pretty sure it`s Allah and Muhammad.

0
Reply
Male 686
I want to punch raikun12 in the face.
0
Reply
Male 1,629
islam is a religion of peace but they do it better then the christians cept the christians found a way to ruin the world w/o killing people
0
Reply
Male 4,546
In addition, it`s not about Islam. It would apply equally well to talking about Judaism or Christianity in Islamic states.

Lou Dobbs version is sensationalist, and some of you are lapping it up like a bunch of Klan members hearing a new UN law being passed that says you can`t lynch n*ggers no more.

"Our rights are being violated!"

drat you! It`s not about "hurting people`s feelings". It`s about impacting their lives in exceptionally real and disgusting ways by creating a world in which they cannot live without retribution, for your right to tell lies.

0
Reply
Male 586
crazy arabs hate us just because our government is the total opposite of their totalitarian, theological based government
0
Reply
Male 4,546
Seriously?
"How many are democracies?"
"I dunno"
"So they`re not democracies and they`re fascinated by their own idea of how to run a country, not like ours"

Well inferred.

It is good that you can`t spew endless bullpoo in the name of freedom of speech that promotes bigotry.

My sisters, brothers, cousins, mother, father, friends, should not have been stoned, beaten, chased, attacked, verbally and physically abused because of the bigotry that people are in bed with in the west.

It is revolting. Utterly revolting, and if you could see it, this wouldn`t be necessary. However saying as I`ve personally been attacked in the UK over a dozen times, and do not know a single person who can live in peace in the UK being brown skinned because prejudices are being protected it`s obvious it isn`t working.

Sorry if you can`t say n*gger no more, if it means my kids get to go outside. Boo. drating. Hoo.

0
Reply
Male 2,591
ala and mohommed get gay with each other.
0
Reply
Male 2,172
If the british are so fed up with Islam, Muslims and terrorists why dont they revolt and make a war like normal people do?

Finish the job you started you inbreed bastard!

0
Reply
Male 3,819
Nope!

Please return to your regularly-scheduled programming (read: Alex Jones).

0
Reply
Male 376
I`m going to guess Onion before I watch this.
0
Reply
Female 191
why should someone get arrested and punished cause they "hurt someone`s feelings"? Giant babies. Wonderful.
0
Reply
Male 4,680
CharlieA- Your avatar is really cute ^_^

But yeah, it`s false people, get over it.

0
Reply
Male 2,076
As a religious person I`m offended that I can`t criticize my own religion, or members of my own religion.
0
Reply
Male 247
"I am for freedom of religion, and against all maneuvers to bring about a legal ascendancy of one sect over another." - Thomas Jefferson, 1799

0
Reply
Male 2,160
ya, great, and this is supposed to achieve what? except piss people off even more than most governments already are.
0
Reply
Female 465
nakoninja, why is islam the only "religion" that has to keep reminding us that it is a "religion" of peace?
0
Reply
Male 502
Who gives a crap about what the UN has to say? Why does the USA allow them on our soil?
0
Reply
Male 4,867
what?
how this gonna help
0
Reply
Male 167
No more UN!!!
0
Reply
Male 362
Jesus Christ, and people thought I was idiot for wanting us out of the United Nations.
0
Reply
Male 2,388
thankyou xposya that was rough 50 seconds

http://www.undispatch.com/node/7768

0
Reply
Male 354
alfie islam is just as much a peaceful religion as any other major religion. all religions have hatreds and bad pasts. the main thing you hear about are the radicals that make the whole look bad. as a whole they are no this horrible evil religion everyone wants to believe that they are.
0
Reply
Male 2,388
scientology is going to have a field day with this. I shall not be censored >:|

I think we can all learn from the Simpsons where Lisa gets everyone to write their own newspaper where they say anything they want after burns takes over all other media. This legislation makes me angry

0
Reply
Male 460
i feel like were all children and the UN is the adult telling us to get along and not say mean things about others, in a perfect world we wouldnt need to be told to play nice
0
Reply
Male 162
Christopher Hitchens is correct. "Religion poisons everthing."
0
Reply
Male 42
And the punishment for those criticizing religion... Stoning?
0
Reply
Male 689
i almost shat myself

then i read xposyas thank God

0
Reply
Male 1,164
so now the UN is putting masking tape on the mouths of the citizens it is supposed to help govern? where as it is fine for countries mainly consisting of islamic faith to insight hatred against the west and against christianity/atheism/judaism and any other religion other than islam and we are the ones to get gagged? drat THE CONSTITUTION I WILL SAY WHAT I GOD DAMN PLEASE
0
Reply
Male 736
lou dobbs distorts.
0
Reply
Female 400
I do not like Lou Dobbs.
0
Reply
Female 15,763
*reads Posy`s link*

Oh thank goodness...

(http://www.undispatch.com/node/7768)

0
Reply
Male 207
The US constitution is the highest law in the land, and changing it would be ridiculously impossible, especially with a democratically controlled executive and legislative branch. This doesn`t scare me at all hah!
0
Reply
Female 15,763
Laws aren`t supposed to require tolerance, politeness, and not hurting people`s feelings. You don`t make someone nicer by hitting them.

I thought the U.N. was like the number one group for that... This is VERY surprising to me.

0
Reply
Male 12
phew, its not true everyone relax

http://www.undispatch.com/node/7768

0
Reply
Male 686
Blocking Free Speach? Censorship? Anyone?
0
Reply
Male 9,305
Ok, corporate media. Not trusting it as far as I can spit.

Use of colors, words, flashes on the screen, words during transitions, use of speech, tone of speech, all of it.

0
Reply
Male 12
you`ve got to be friggin kidding me
0
Reply
Male 335
Link: U.N. Adopts Anti-Blasphemy Resolution [Rate Link] - This new resolution would make it a crime to criticize religion. Uh oh.
0
Reply