Boiling Water Turns to Snow

Submitted by: eth72 10 years ago in Science

It"s just a little cold in New Hampshire.
There are 83 comments:
Female 85
Pretty interesting...it never gets cold where I live.
0
Reply
Female 3
That was cool. I bet those guys had some really good insulating clothing to wear out there.
0
Reply
Male 199
cant people come up with anything original? oh wait they cant.

But if they can`t come up with the original then how do they copy it?

0
Reply
Male 220
this is nothing
you change he surface area and the ratio to the water so the cold can frezze the water more quicker than a pot.
0
Reply
Male 425
"Though I`m pretty sure metric is used for everything "official" over there, right?"

No, pretty much only science uses metric. Drivers licenses have ft/in for height and lbs for weight, distances are in miles, and all weather is in Fahrenheit.

"Also, it would be nice if the americans would switch to the metric system, or at least use both units. in Canada, we switched to the metric system in 1978, but we all know both metric and imperial."

Americans do use both. All science courses use the metric system, and personally I know both the metric and imperial systems of measurement. And I`ve talked to many Canadians that don`t know the imperial system, so not all Canadians know both.

0
Reply
Female 144
It`s hilarious how they have credits at the end.
0
Reply
Male 1,129
And to the guy that corrected me i never said the statements were related. and hot water does freeze faster try it. and surface is correct. but what i was trying to say was that if you threw cold water up in the air it wouldnt do that it would just freeze. I guess my Phd of a chemistry teacher was wrong all this time..
0
Reply
Male 1,129
Agreed when the atmospheric pressure is at 1 ATM or 760 mmHg what ever any of you people use...and liquid water and solid water coexist at this point.
0
Reply
Male 295
Well, first I thought, here we go again. But this video is actually good. It shows infrared and normal video shots and as mentioned, there is no water after leaving the pot. You will also notice that for the largest container (the pot), there is a small line in the infrared image indicating the time it takes the water to turn to ice.
0
Reply
Female 171
v_wilkes85 is bitter.
0
Reply
Male 493
"Water freazes faster hot."

No, it doesn`t.

"Kinda the same reason why hot water freezes faster when put in the freezer. dont believe me try it."

Take your own advice and try it. No, it doesn`t.

You damn kids and your willingness to believe stupid, stupid urban legends.

0
Reply
Male 242
lame. when you`ve seen it happen once, you`ve seen it all

althought the infared was interesting.

0
Reply
Male 32
"PHOTOSHOPPED?!"

It definitely is. You can tell by the pixels.

0
Reply
Male 629
Water freazes faster hot. My ENGLISH teacher told me that when she told a story about a student not doing an experiment a long time ago.
0
Reply
Male 1,461
[quote]On 3/7/2007 4:07:08 AM razordragon wrote: cant people come up with anything original? oh wait they cant.[/quote]

Apparently, neither can you.

0
Reply
Male 1
"It has to do with heat transfer principle(basically energy transfer). the more heat somethign has the more energy it has to lose. Kinda the same reason why hot water freezes faster when put in the freezer. dont believe me try it."

Most ignorant thing I`ve read in a while. If a liquid is colder, i.e. closer to its freezing point, it will require less heat transfer (and therefore time) to freeze. Similarly, hot water can be brought to a boil faster than cold water, using the same heat source.

"See if that same boiling water was poured out rather then spontaneously thrown into the air the results would have been different.."

While true, this has nothing to do with your previous statement. Rather, it`s about exposed surface area. If you pour the liquid, it will have less surface area and heat will be transferred more slowly. Throwing it into the air increases its surface area tremendously, and it can be frozen much quicker.

SAY NO TO BAD SCIENCE.

0
Reply
Female 920
So if you were to throw a pot a boiling water to someone... it wouldn`t work.
0
Reply
Female 38
Who gives a crap who uses what? Stupid....
0
Reply
Male 129
PHOTOSHOPPED?!
0
Reply
Female 1,134
YEAH THATS MY STATE!! GO NH!
0
Reply
Female 1,492
i thought the music was lame...did anyone else think so?
0
Reply
Male 238
wahhh I was hoping for the last one it didn`t freeze and they poured boiling water on himself
0
Reply
Male 142
Mount Washington, worst weather on earth!
0
Reply
Female 280
^duh, of course it would.


and i wonder what would happen if hotter than that with an interesting color was thrown into the cold with abandon. like magma, only magma would probably survive those cold temperatures.

0
Reply
Male 2,781
I WONDER IF YOU TOOK A PISS OUTSIDE IF THE COLD WOULD FREEZE THE URINE INTO AN ICICLE...

DON`T EAT YELLOW SNOW PEOPLE!

0
Reply
Male 222
Has been done on IAB
Still cool.
0
Reply
Male 51
this is so cool, i had to stop having gay sex in my scientist lab to watch this...
0
Reply
Female 133
pssst. get a life
0
Reply
Female 4
I live in New Hampshire and it`s not that cold, but I`m not on Mount Washington at the moment. I`ve been up there and they`re not lying when they say the weather is crazy up there.

They actually mentioned the fact that boiling water turned to snow on the announcements at school today. I was surprised to find this here.

0
Reply
Male 1,129
here are the conversions for all you genius`.

F=C(9/5)+32
C=(F-32)(5/9)
C=K-273.15

I Kelvin is 1 degree celsius. And as some of you said they are directly proportional. They are just scaled differently.

so in this case -35 degrees fahrenheit.
=-37 degrees C
=236 K

0
Reply
Male 1,149
[quote]On 3/7/2007 8:09:22 AM Tiredofnicks wrote: Osprey39: Since the Kelvin scale and the Celsius scale is the same thing you`d better start converting.

On what planet?[/quote]

This planet. Both are scaled the same. Just the starting point for kelvin is absolute zero. (-459.7 degrees F.)

0
Reply
Male 572
this is stuff we learn in nursery

and how many videos are they gonna make of people throwing water in the air and making it snow?

0
Reply
Male 4
Wow. I believe this! I live really close to yellowtone and it gets down to about -35 F and you can pour a bottle of water and it will freeze before it hits the ground.
0
Reply
Male 536
Just because a kelvin degree is "the same size" as a celsius degree doesn`t mean sh*t. You say a kelvin is just offset by 273.15°... One could just as easily say (°F − 32) · 5/9 or any other formula. They are different. Though it is a sure thing that you Americans must convert to metric before the rest of the world wages war on you over pure anger. Though I`m pretty sure metric is used for everything "official" over there, right?
0
Reply
Male 49
I think what the guy was trying to say about `F being more accurate in whole numbers` is that you can be more precise.. as there are a couple degrees of F per degree of C. So we`re measuring in smaller units.
0
Reply
Female 100
That explains it much better, yes. Thanks. The increments are the same size, is what you are saying. 1K = 1C, whereas 1C = 33.8 F.

I also think the Celcius scale is more logical for measuring basic temperatures.

0
Reply
Female 818
How did this start?

"Hey guys, I think I`m gonna go outside and throw a pot of scalding water into the air."
"Have fun."

0
Reply
Male 5,094
EmAnJ: Am not! Mooom!

Guess I was a bit vague.

A degree Kelvin is the same "size" as a degree Celsius, they denote the same increase or decrease in temperature. However, where the Celsius scale has its zero point set to the freezing point of water the Kelvin one has it set to absolute zero, where all matter are frozen solid. That happens at -273C or -460F.


As for being more logical, the Celsius scale zero degree is set to the freezing point of water and its 100th degree to the boiling point of water. The Farenheit zero is set to the coldest outdoor temperature Farenheit could measure, and its 100 to his body temperature.

There, exiting geek mode, hope you understand now.

0
Reply
Female 285
*LOVE* that song...
0
Reply
Female 419
Yeah. Not that interesting.
0
Reply
Male 305
Wow, sucks to be them.
0
Reply
Male 5
Go a little farther north and that`s where I live. It has been that cold lately.
0
Reply
Female 600
Science is cool.
0
Reply
Female 100
[quote]On 3/7/2007 10:19:36 AM Tiredofnicks wrote: The Kelvin scale is the Celsuis scale with the zero point moved to absolute zero, 1 degree Kelvin is still 1 degree Celsuis though, and conversion is quite easy. dudeman1st wrote: (...)We use Fahrenheit because it is more accurate in whole numbers(...) Accurate or not, you`ll have to admit that the Celsius scale is more logical.[/quote]

Hahaha, what? You`re nuts.

0
Reply
Female 1,071
Um... as you do? what was the name of that song?
0
Reply
Female 77
I thought the music was a bit too much...
0
Reply
Female 727
meh I live in new hampshire and it`s not that cold out it`s just cold cause it was on mt. washington being 6,288 ft. (1916.6 m) above sea level so of course boiling water would turn into snow
0
Reply
Male 561
Yellowcard lights and sounds was the only thing i liked about that clip
0
Reply
Female 1,496
Yea no poo. The metric system rocks. Almost all Americans that have ever been in University knows it due to chem classes.
0
Reply
Male 5,094
The Kelvin scale is the Celsuis scale with the zero point moved to absolute zero, 1 degree Kelvin is still 1 degree Celsuis though, and conversion is quite easy.

dudeman1st wrote:
[quote](...)We use Fahrenheit because it is more accurate in whole numbers(...)[/quote]

Accurate or not, you`ll have to admit that the Celsius scale is more logical.

0
Reply
Female 339
Lets all throw boiling water over ourselves and hope it turns to snow before it hits us...

0
Reply
Male 1,354
Indeed, which planet? -35 F is 236 Kelvin or -37 C. However, the degree increments are the same in Kelvin and Celcius. We use Fahrenheit because it is more accurate in whole numbers and in most places ambient temps don`t increase above 100 or below 0 degrees F.
0
Reply
Female 106
i think it look cool.
0
Reply
Male 946
woo nice...
0
Reply
Female 132
It didn`t really look like snow. More like steam.
0
Reply
Male 2,372
[quote]On 3/7/2007 8:09:22 AM Tiredofnicks wrote: Osprey39: Since the Kelvin scale and the Celsius scale is the same thing you`d better start converting.[/quote]
On what planet?
0
Reply
Male 547
It would be more interesting to actually throw the water at someone. Its just so boring to see it over and over again.. yeah we get it
0
Reply
Male 5,094
rockethippo: it`s -37 celsius.

Osprey39: Since the Kelvin scale and the Celsius scale is the same thing you`d better start converting.

0
Reply
Male 1,407
And use Kelvin? When you Europeans decide to do the same maybe.
0
Reply
Male 959
When will americans join the rest of the world and emrace the metric system?
0
Reply
Female 1,470
I Thought it was sick, even though i have seen it before.
0
Reply
Male 553
hmm intersting
0
Reply
Male 1,407
Yeah it`s pretty damn cold in New Hampshire. I go to school here at Dartmouth, and it`s -21 in Hanover right now.
0
Reply
Male 2,567
hmm
0
Reply
Male 2,372
Even though this clip was filmed yesterday, I saw this very exact same clip 7 months ago on YouTube (before Google took over).
0
Reply
Male 1,129
It has to do with heat transfer principle(basically energy transfer). the more heat somethign has the more energy it has to lose. Kinda the same reason why hot water freezes faster when put in the freezer. dont believe me try it. See if that same boiling water was poured out rather then spoantaneously thrown into the air the results would have been different..
0
Reply
Female 289
COFFEE SNOW! YUM!
0
Reply
Female 1,228
I thought this this was awesome!
instant snow maker.
very cool!!
get the joke, cool?. . ?
never mind.
0
Reply
Female 546
awesome.
0
Reply
Male 336
cant people come up with anything original? oh wait they cant.
0
Reply
Male 1,265
Boring.
0
Reply
Female 395
Okie, this was lame...The only somewhat good thing about it was the song...and even that wasn`t the greatest.
0
Reply
Male 527
Okay...we get it...boiling water freezes nearly instantly when thrown into the air. I agree with aj101...nuff-snuff!
0
Reply
Male 902
Why boiling? It freezes faster that way.
0
Reply
Male 567
sorry buddy i should rephrase that `if i see this done one more time`

but it is cool to see the infra red

0
Reply
Male 4,246
Rockethippo, what are you talking about?
0
Reply
Male 4,246
A clip involving the same principle (but shot in somebody`s backyard) was posted a few weeks ago, but it`s still kinda cool to look at. The infra-red imaging wasn`t exactly as helpful as I thought it would be, though.
0
Reply
Male 916
I don`t want to live there.
0
Reply
Male 20
Ehhh -93 celcius?
0
Reply
Female 665
pretty interesting as to how cold it is to do that. although i think this was posted before... or at least something like this.
0
Reply
Male 10,115
Considering this was filmed yesterday, I don`t think you`ve seen it here before.
0
Reply
Male 567
if i see this up on here one more time! *shakes fist at eth72*
0
Reply
Male 53
Link: Boiling Water Turns to Snow [Rate Link] - It`s just a little cold in New Hampshire.
0
Reply